Chapter Two

Amidst the Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ming Dao placed a glass of water in front of her before taking a seat. Out of habit when he’s frustrated, he pinches the skin between his eyebrows as it helps him calm down. He looked over at Ji Hyo, who was still visibly shaking. “Ji Hyo, just reject the promotion.”

“Sounds easy, doesn’t it?” Ji Hyo retorted. “It’s an opportunity that’s probably once in a lifetime.”

“Take the offer.” Ming Dao doesn’t understand why she always makes everything seem harder than it is. “Take that Sergeant offer, Song Ji Hyo. You and I both know that you deserve that promotion.” 

She glared at him. “Homicide Department? You think I would be fine working on homicide cases like that? After what I went through?”

He didn’t want to do it. He didn’t want to seem like the bad guy but he just can’t help it. “It’s in the past. What happened to you was horrible and I don’t wish that on anybody but it’s life. You can’t let it hinder the opportunities in your life. Don’t you have Kwang Soo to worry about? What about him? What if an opportunity like this came by for him in his career? Would you also make him not take it?” Ming Dao hated being truthful especially to his one and only friend. “It’s painful. The memories rushing back and halting your life once again, it’s all horrific.” 

“Shut up.” Ji Hyo stood up, her eyes blazing with anger. “As my close friend, I thought you’d be understanding. I thought you would provide me guidance.”

“I am providing - “

“Guidance that can actually help me.” Ji Hyo scoffed. “What was I supposed to expect honestly? How is somebody like you going to understand me? You never went through anything harsh in your life. You were born with the golden spoon and have an empire business that could possibly ruin everybody.”

“Ya, Song Ji Hyo!” Ming Dao stood up. “You are being - “

“Did I say anything wrong?” Ji Hyo snapped. Grabbing her things, she quickly left his house without another word.

Ming Dao couldn’t believe what he just heard. Kicking the coffee table in front of him, he ran his fingers through his hair out of frustration. “What a ty day.” He couldn’t even tell Ji Hyo why he came to see her today. Making his way over to his office, he took a seat and took a look at the portal sites. 

She’s right, he thought to himself. His eyes gazed around the awards and ongoing pictures of his achievements throughout his life. He never really worked hard throughout his life. Although he was born with a golden spoon, he wanted to own his own business. Something that his parents don't have their name attached to along with it. 

One of the many reasons he moved to Seoul, Korea from his home in Taipei was because he didn’t want anybody to know him for his parent’s wealth. He has worked so hard to make a name for himself here and Ji Hyo knows that. The fact that she used his sore spot against him, it’s like stabbing a knife into his back. His eyes averted over to the photo frame he has on his desk of himself and Ji Hyo. Wasn’t that what he just did to her earlier? Using her past to attack her back on her mentality? 

Feeling torn about what he stupidly said, he slammed his head onto the desk and sighed out deeply. Ding! He sat back up as soon as he saw an alert from one of his assistants. “You’ve got to be kidding me….”

. . .

Ji Hyo has been sitting on her bed for the last 4 hours in the dark. A picture of her mother in her hand as she caressed the fragile picture. It has been 17 years since the death of her mom. 17 years since she escaped the house of horrors. A tear dropped onto the photo as she tried blinking away the tears. Has it really been that long already, she asked herself. Feeling tightness on her chest, she quietly opened the nightstand drawer and took out her medication. Taking two at once, she closed her eyes for a brief second. 

Her life became a nonstop marathon. The pain and abuse she went through as a child until she was 14 years old has made her want to run nonstop for the rest of her life. Even now, in the comfort of her own home, she still wants to run. 

“Noona….” she heard a small whisper from the crack of her door. It was her brother, Kwang Soo. “Are you okay? Ming Dao hyung called me..”

She nodded her head and smiled towards her brother. “I’m fine.” 

“He said you would lie.” Kwang Soo said. Walking into her bedroom, he sat on the bed next to her and held onto her hands. “The memories are back?”

“Yeah…” Ji Hyo admitted. “I’ll be fine.”

“You know, one day you’ll have to let all the emotions out to me. Keeping it all bottled up like this isn’t good. It’s okay when the memories come back sometimes, it’s normal.”

She loves her brother so much. She placed her other hand on top of his and smiled. “I’m fine.”

Kwang Soo brushed a strand of hair aside from her forehead and sighed. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

. . .

Jong Kook is scared. He walked out of his bedroom to the sound of banging early in the morning. Feeling as if someone probably broke into his apartment, he held onto the baseball bat in his hand tighter. As he emerged into the living room, he stood in horror to see paintings hung onto the wall - paintings that were never there before. “What the….”

“Oh! You’re up!” Qiao En smiled. “What do you think? Doesn’t it brighten the apartment a bit more?”

Brighten? Jong Kook dropped the bat onto the floor. “How could you do this without asking me first?”

She shrugged her shoulders as if it wasn’t a big deal. “Thought it would be a nice surprise. I mean, it’s been a week since I moved in. The apartment is a bit dark for my taste. I’ve always been interested in interior design so I thought abstract paintings like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter