Fin

Summer Memories

It all started when a six year old Momo got lost when she wandered off the forest alone, crying next to a tree as she hopes someone will find her, head buried between her knees with tears streaming down her face. "Hey" She heard a feminine voice and so she looked up. "What are you doing here?" The girl with a mask asked- couldn't contain her happiness, Momo sprang up as she aims to hug the girl but she was met by a hit on the head with a stick.

"Ow!" Momo cried out in pain, rubbing the assaulted part. "You're not allowed to touch me, I will disappear if a human touches me." The girl in a kabuki mask told the young Momo. "Eh? So you're like a yokai?" Momo responded earning a nod from the latter. "Waaahhh!! So it is true-" Momo exclaimed as she tried to hug the girl again but she was met with yet another stick hit on the head. "Aww~" She yelps. "You really are not a human. No one would hit a child like that." Momo hissed as she rubs her head in hopes to ease the pain.

"Come, I'll guide you out of the forest" The girl said as she offers the other end of the stick for Momo to hold to which the kid happily accepted. "This is like a date~" Momo giggled, following the girl who is taking the lead. "It is not." The girl responded making Momo pout, after few more walking they've reach the familiar shrine outside the forest. "Thank you for helping me!" Momo grin. "What's your name?" She asked but the girl isn't responding.

"I'm Hirai Momo, I'll come back tomorrow to give an offering. Bye~" Momo bids as she began to walk away then she heard the girl finally answered.

"It's Mina" Momo turns to see her again but the girl named Mina is no longer there so she carried on walking.

"Momo! Momo~" She heard her uncle call for her and she followed the voice leading her to the old man who'd been looking for her for almost an hour now. "Waaaahh~ uncle- ow!" Momo whines when her uncle hit her. "You don't know how worried I was!"  And so they went home.

The next day Momo came back, carrying two melon flavored popsicles with her as she found Mina sitting on the stairs still on a kabuki mask. "You did come back." Mina muttered as she stands up. "Did you wait for me?" Momo asked as she hops her way up on the stairs to Mina, who hums in reply. "It's a little hot in here, let's go somewhere cooler." Mina suggested as she offered the end of the stick again- Momo was happy to oblige and the two of them venture the forest while having the treat Momo brought, while walking Momo noticed a figure on her peripheral vision, the hair on the back of her neck rise when she heard a voice that she is sure not Mina's.

"Mina.. is that a human child?" It asked. "Can I eat it?" It added making Momo scared, Mina step up in front of her, covering the yokai's view of Momo. "No, you can't. She's my friend." Mina responded and the yokai turned to look at Momo.

"Human child don't you dare touch Mina's skin" It warns. "If you do, I'll eat you-"

" Shoo!" The yokai can't continue its threat on Momo when Mina scared it away- transforming into a fox as it scurried away, crying.

"Waaahh it's a fox spirit!" Momo exclaimed eye's gleaming in amusement. " Yeah~ it tends to shapeshift to scare people but he's all bark and no bite." Mina told her watching Momo jumped up and down in delight of seeing a yokai.

"I've seen a yokai yey! Banzai!"

"What do you think I am then?" Mina muttered to herself.

"How about you Mina? What kind of a yokai are you?" Momo inquired matching Mina's pace as they made their way to the spring hidden in the heart of the forest.

"Are you a no face?"

"No"

"Then what are you!? Why do you always have a mask?" Momo asked again eager to know what kind of yokai Mina is but the latter didn't respond.

"Hmp! Then don't tell." Momo grumbled. "I'm just gonna head over their and pick flowers" Momo huffs as she stomps her way towards the flower field- Mina can't help but to chuckle to herself as she watch Momo walked away. After a long while Momo came back holding a bunch of flowers to where she left Mina, she found the girl lying on the grass, probably sleeping. Momo carefully approached her putting the flowers down as she kneel right above Mina's head. Mina isn't really sleeping but she just stayed still and waited to see what will the girl do.

"It won't harm her if I touch her mask right?" Momo thought to herself as she moves to hold the mask, carefully lifting it, revealing a really pretty face- moles sprinkled beautifully as if a constellation of stars at night. Mina looked peaceful with her eyes close but Momo's gawking came to halt when Mina's eyes fluttered open taking Momo off guard as she slams the kabuki mask back to where it was.

"Oww!" Mina hissed as she sat up and faced Momo. "You weren't sleeping were you!?" Momo accused earning a laugh from Mina. " I don't look like a spirit don't I?" Mina asked as she prompt her arm to lean her chin on it earning a nod from Momo.

"Let's go, it's getting dark. Let's get you home" Mina told her standing up and offering the end of the stick. And so days went by with the two of them hanging out.

"Boo!" Momo yelled emerging from a tree while hanging upside down on its branch, forgetting that she's wearing a dress. Momo yelps when her dress turn over as she quickly sat properly on the branch, face slightly red.

"What were you doing?" Mina asked her earning a pout from Momo. "I wanted to see your startled face but you're wearing a mask" Momo huffs. " Can you take it off while I'm around?" Momo asked, before Mina could answer the branch broke making Momo fall and Mina instinctively run towards her arms open wide to catch her and right at that moment Momo got scared- not because of falling but at the thought of Mina disappearing because of her. Thankfully Mina stopped and Momo fell on the bush.

"Are you alright?" Mina asked Momo who is splayed on the bush with few scratches on her, Momo's eyes begin to water as she get up. "Mina.. whatever happens don't touch me" Momo told Mina as she holds her sobs. " I don't want you to disappear!" Momo exclaimed as she couldn't hold the tears anymore. Mina find the the sight adorable.

"I won't, I promise"

"Let's go"

"Mina, I won't be coming tomorrow" Momo told Mina when they've reach the way out, and Mina felt sadness envelope her upon hearing it but she remained silent. "Summer vacation has ended and I need to go back to school but I'll come back next summer." Momo reassured and that was all what Mina needed to lift the heavy feeling in her heart. She takes off her mask as she smiled at Momo.

"I'll wait for you"

Things go on like that with the two of them longing for summer to come as it's the only season that they look forward to for they get to be with one another, More summers have passed and Momo's age started to close to Mina's.

"You're starting to look like a lady" Mina told Momo earning a glare from the latter.

"I am a lady!" Momo huffs

"And you don't come at me the way you used to be when you are younger" Mina added leaning on a tree as she looks up at Momo.

" Of course! After all the beating I got" Momo replied feeling the the pain at the thought of Mina hitting her whenever she tried to jump on her. Mina laughs at the response.

Both of them took the time in strolling around the forest talking about almost anything with Momo doing all the talk and Mina listening attentively to it- Mina love hearing Momo's stories. While strolling a huge hand made of wood holds Mina making Momo worried.

"Mina!" Momo called.

"Mina you shouldn't be hanging out with a human, it's dangerous." The tree speaks. Mina turns to look at Momo, her fond expression hidden behind her mask. "I'm fine, nothing bad will happen to me." Mina responded making the tree sigh as she puts Mina down.

"Human, please don't touch Mina's skin" The tree spirit requested her to do so as other spirits emerge begging Momo to not touch Mina.

"I will not, I promise" Momo replied to them but her heart longed to cares Mina.

---

"Momo, come here I have sliced  watermelon for you" Her uncle called out Momo who was lounging at the living room, she's ought to go home tomorrow morning and she can't help but to be sad for she'll be away from Mina again.

"Coming uncle" She answered as she stood up and went out on the porch where her uncle is sitting, she sat down beside him and took a slice.

"Summer is good this year that's why the harvest is good and the watermelon is sweet, for sure winter will be so cold then" Her uncle stated spitting the seeds away while Momo couldn't help but to worry that Mina might get cold.

Morning came and it was time for Momo to go back to the city, she woke up really early today and took the paper bag containing a scarf for Mina, she wasn't sure if the latter is by the shrine but she still decided to go meet her. When she arrived at the mouth of the forest she sees Mina sitting on the stairs back leaning at the protruding statue.

"Mitang~" Momo called and the masked girl immediately turn at the sound of Momo's voice.

"I thought you're leaving? Didn't expect to see you here" Mina questioned standing up from her previous position.

"I am, I just want to give you this" Momo said as she handed the paper bag to Mina. "My uncle told me that it'll get really cold this winter so I brought you that. Hope you'll like it" Momo mused with a huge smile.

"Thank you"

"Don't mention it, I gotta go. See you on summer!" Momo bids as she runs away waving at Mina.

Winter came in view as two hearts apart long for each other, Momo blankly stares at the window watching the snow glides down.

"Hirai-san!" Momo snapped out of her trance when her classmate calls for her, she looks around and noticed that she's the only one there. "Ah yes?" Momo responded. "Don't you think it's about time to get to the next class? You'll get late." He told Momo to which Momo answered with a nod as she quickly gather her things.

Time flies by and it's time to go home Momo wasn't able to focus at her studies for her mind keep drifting off to a certain person.

"Momo.." She was pulled again from her trance when Sana called out for her. "Careful you'll slip on ice" Sana told her as she looks down to see that she was stepping on it. "Hold my hand so you won't slip" Sana offered and Momo gratefully accepted it.

"You know you've been so out lately, not that you aren't normally like that but..."

"I badly want to see Mina"

---

Finally the summer that Momo had wished for already came and she can't wait to see Mina as she rushed to the forest where she sees Mina sitting on the stairs waiting for her, Mina lifted the mask and with a wide smile she greeted her.

"Welcome back Momo"

"You know during winter as I watch the snow it kind of reminded me of you Mina" Momo started as they make their way to the pond, where they always fish. " You're like a snow, so pretty, delicate and fragile. It makes me want to protect you. All throughout the winter you're the only one that runs my mind. I badly want to see you" Momo confessed as they sat by their fishing spot. Mina smiled endearingly at Momo as she lightly hits her head with the fishing rod. "I missed you too~ during the times when you are away, even though I can't be in the crowd. I wanted to go and see you" Mina responded and Momo can't be any happier that they're on the same page.

"If only my body isn't weak" Mina mumbled as she looks at her hand. "I guess it's my turn to tell you a story" Mina smiled and Momo attentively listens to her. " When I was a baby, the spirits found me helpless and abandoned. They felt so bad as I cried helplessly, they knew that I would die if they let me be and so the mountain god casted a spell on me, for me to live, and a body that is hold off by magic is so weak. I'm like a ghost"

"Don't worry Mitang, I won't let anyone touch me" Momo huffs as she puffs her chest out making Mina laugh. " I'll be finishing highschool soon, I can finally stay here for good and we won't be away from each other anymore" Momo informed her eliciting a gummy smile from Mina.

"Can you sneak out later at night? I want to invite you to a summer festival, I wasn't able to bring you there when you are younger because you might get scared" Mina asked and Momo gladly accepts the offer.

The night came and they promised to meet at their usual spot Momo is wearing a pastel pink yukata, upon arriving she sees Mina waiting for her clad in a lavender colored yukata. Mina smiled and waved at Momo.

"It'll be crowded there, tie this on your wrist so you won't get lost" Mina told her as she showed Momo the other end of the fabric that is already tied on her wrist.
"It's like a date" Momo giggled as she tied a knot on her wrist. " It is a date." Mina replied making Momo blush. "Let's go"

"Waahh it's just like a normal festival" Momo lets out as she looks around, there were food stalls, games, rides, and souvenir shops. There's an on going street show too, the festival is just so lively that Momo can't helped but to be excited.

"Well it's supposed to mimic the human festival that's why some of the humans manage to join the celebration without knowing that they're hanging out with the spirits" Mina responded as they look around the stalls.

The night went on with them playing a couple of stall games and goofing around with each other, simply having fun while indulging in each other's presence.

"Eww! A couple." The kids teased them upon seeing the way the two interact, Momo became furious while Mina just laugh it off. "We look good together though" Mina replied to them as she tugs the fabric pulling Momo close but not close enough to touch. "Yuck" the kids gag. "Get out of here you rats!" Momo hissed at them scaring them off, Mina chuckled.

The festival is over and Momo had the most fun in her life but there's this scary feeling inside of her, that this will be their last summer.

"That was fun Mina! We should go there every summer, I had so much fun" Momo grinned. " I had fun too" Mina giggled as she took her mask off and puts it on Momo. "Knowing that I get to spend the time with you" Mina told her as she plants a kiss on the forehead of the mask.

"You can keep the mask, I won't be needing it anymore" Mina said as she smiled widely at Momo. Momo was about to respond but a kid that's playing around with her friend slip off right next to them, Mina automatically catches the kid by the forearm so the child didn't hit the ground.

"Are you alright?" Mina asked

"Haru let's go" the other kid called out.

"Thank you!" The kid named Haru replied as he followed the other kid.

"M-mina.. your hand" Momo pointed out as it was glowing, Mina's hand is turning into a green light resembling a dispersing fireflies. Mina opened her arms wide as she smiled at Momo.

"Come here Momo, I can finally touch you" Mina called her as Momo took the mask off and run into Mina's embrace.

"I love you" where Mina's last words before she completely disappeared, leaving off the yukata as Momo hugs it close, tears racing down her face, crying her heart out.

Spirits started to show up as they watch the crying Momo with sadness in their eyes.

"Thank you Momo~ you don't know how much Mina wanted to touch you and feel your warmth."

From then on Momo probably won't be able to look forward to summer for a long time. Her chest will hurt, Her tears will be overflowing but the warmth in her hands and their summer memories will live on forever.

---

Hiya there! So yeah this one shot is based off the anime movie "Hotorubi no mori e" I was watching it and I was like "why don't I make a mimo version of this" and so here it is now hehe.