001

Splendid

It was late summer afternoon, Jane, was at the office working on a new article for Women's Weekly when her sister Jeannie called her to announce that she finally got proposed to by her childhood friend and long time boyfriend Kim Junmyeon.

“Isn’t it exciting? I can’t believe he broadcasted all those things in the radio early morning just to propose to me. Its like how I wanted it to happen! A public confession!” Jeannie gushed to her sister excitedly.

“Yeah. I’m happy for you and Junmyeon oppa.” Jane replied nonchalantly on her phone as she does a quick glance over the project portfolio and takes a slip of her already cold coffee. “Now I’ll just have to book the perfect venue, dress and cake! Luckily I have you along to plan this together with.” Jeannie spoke enthusiastically while Jane continues to multi-task talking on the phone while reading the portfolio.

“So, have you spoken to mom and dad already? What did they say?” Jane asked trying to change the topic to the more important issue.

“Mom was happy of course. She said she already knew that I’d end up with Junmyeon anyway. Dad goes along with anything as long as we’re happy. He told me to send the invitation over to his secretary and he’ll make sure to make it.” Jeannie spoke with slight disappointment in her voice.

It has been 8 years since Jane and Jeannie's parents filed their divorce and since then they lived their seperate lives and avoid meeting each other as best as they could. One would think that they have been secretly coordinating with each other in terms of attendance. Their parents have been successful and fully focused with their own careers after the divorce that it was impossible to even imagine them being a couple. Their dad sucessful with his law firm and their mom slowly making a name for herself after pursuing art as a career. 

This wedding may or may not be the exception to this rule after carefully avoiding one another for years, as their golden girl daughter is getting married not just to any guy but to former idol turned Korea's top businessman Kim Junmyeon. It would be embarassing for their parents not to show up, but it was also mortifying to see them cause a scene.

Jane frowned at the thought. 

"Oh! Don't forget. You promised me to be my maid of honor when Junmyeon proposes. We are meeting with the wedding planner this weekened together with Junmyeon oppa and his best man." Jeannie reminded while Jane was still deep with her own thoughts.

"I seriously can't believe you were able to talk me out into that while I was drunk." She rolled her eyes while talking on the phone. Jeannie can be very persuasive when she wants to be and there is no escaping her once she puts her mind into it.

"What's even more unbelievable is that you were able to remember every word I said, when you were a heartbroken mess and a sobbing drunk." Jane pointed out.

"If I remember correctly, you were also a heartbroken mess." Jeannie teased.

"I wasn't. It's different from yours. It was just casual dating. We weren't serious." Jane added the last one carefully.

"Who cares? The guy still disappointed you and broke your heart." Jeannie pointed out.

"Enough about me. Listen, Jeannie. I have to get back to work now. Text me the location of the wedding planner." Jane added.

"You're the best Jane!" Jeannie shriked into the phone feeling giddy and excited.

If you weren't my baby sister I would have fed you to the sharks. Jane thought to herself already feeling not quite up to the weekends activities.

--------

Meanwhile..

That same afternoon Jeannie's fiance was hanging out with his closest cousin Jeong Jaehyun at the golf course after his radio proposal. Junmyeon had enough nervewracking experience for the day that he invited Jaehyun out to play for him for a bit and ease the tension, and playing golf at their family club was the best way to do it.

"So cousin, you're finally getting tied down." Jaehyun teased while the two were in the middle of a game.

"Yes it seems so." Junmyeon said unable to hide his sheepish smile.

"Jeannie's an amazing woman. Who knew it would only take dating her to finally get you march on that aisle!" Jaehyun pointed out. "You'd probably be so busy following her around, that you won't hang out with me anymore." Jaehyun continued with a slight disappointment to his tone.

"I doubt that." Junmyeon smirked. "Even without me your hands are already so full dating girls and fooling around. You won't even notice my presence missing." Junmyeon pointed out.

"True." Jaehyun said while nodding, "but still it wouldn't be the same with my favorite hyung and adventure buddy no longer around."

"Speaking of marriage, Jeannie and I agreed to meet with the wedding planner this weekened to start with the preparations. I was hoping you'd go with me." Junmyeon said his voice hopeful but Jaehyun's face tells him that he didn't feel like going.

Junmyeon thought he needed more convincing. "You know I'm lost when it comes to these things, and you my dear cousin, I know you love weddings and all things that come along with it." Junmyeon tried again. "You cried at aunt Geraldine's wedding for heaven's sake!"

"I was twelve." Jaehyun said and glared at his cousin.

Jaehyun didn't seem to be convinced so Junmyeon tried the last thing he could possibly say to convince his stubborn cousin to go with him. "I heard Jane is also going."

"She would?" Jaehyun's eyes widened at the mention of her name.

"Yeah. Jeannie was able to convince her to be the maid of honor." Junmyeon said casually but pleased to know that the name Jane still has a hold on his beloved cousin.

"I may be free this weekened, but I'll have to double check on it." Jaehyun responded trying to hide a smile on his face.


It has been a while since he last saw serious but beautiful looking Jane and he couldn't wait see her again. Not that they were close or anything, she only knew him by introduction as Junmyeon's cousin, they were not even acquaintances, but he could try and talk to her this time.

Maybe going with Junmyeon on the weekend wouldn't be so bad after all. Jaehyun thought.