Fin

The Interview
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eugene was busy setting up her camera before adjusting the focus to include both of her grandmothers who already sitting comfortably on the sofa in their spacious living room. Sakura chuckled looking at her granddaughter who’s now frowning trying to capture the whole scenery in the video while Eunbi distracted with a speck of dust she can spot hidden behind the tv.

Eugene pulled out her small notes ready to fill up with the interview details before coughing a bit to get her grandmothers’ attention halting their small talk.

Eunbi started to question her before Eugene can even start her interview.

“Have you eaten, Eugene?” Eunbi looked at her with concern while Sakura just nodding.

“I’ve already eaten lunch with you both, helmoni. If I eat more, my stomach will burst haha,” Eugene answered with a boisterous laugh.

“You never know, you know. Hyewon always eats a lot when she was at your age. It's like her stomach has an endless bottom,” Sakura added while scooting closer to Eunbi.

“I’m fine, shall we start now?” Eugene assured her worried grandmothers.

Both her grandmothers nodded signaling the start of the interview. Eugene checked her camera again to ensure its recording before asking the first question.

 

Eugene:

“Alright, the first question will be how do you guys meet?” Eugene ready to scribble the answer.

Sakura:

“Your helmoni felt in love at the first sight after seeing me hahaha” Sakura joked while Eunbi looked amused.

Eunbi:

“Don’t listen to your obachan. She’s the one flirted with me.”

Sakura:

“I did not. You started it.”

Eunbi:

“Do you remember how it happened?” Eunbi now faced Sakura.

Sakura:

“Of course. It was during the AIDS March in Massachusetts.”

Eunbi:

“And you were running from the police.”

Sakura:

“And you were just started your Vespa engine when I hopped in and urged you to start driving haha,” Sakura laughed while reminiscing their sweet memories with Eunbi and Eugene started to zoom into her obachan’s wide smile.

Eunbi:

“I was shocked. I was just done with my bible class.”

Sakura:

“I was really panicked and when I saw you I thought you were one of the protesters. So I run as fast as I can before decided to go with you.”

Eunbi:

“I remembered what you wear on the day. You wore a black leather jacket matched with a pink shirt.”

Sakura:

“I know, I look really cute right. You were wearing a red dress with blue jeans. You still have the red dress right?”

Eunbi:

“Yeah but the colour is faded away that its almost look like pink.”

Eugene:

“So, from the protest?” Eugene tried to shift the convo back to the question.

Sakura:

“Ah yeah, I joined a protest to ask Ronald Reagan, the President at that time to start treating the AIDS patient, especially from the LGBT community. I was one of the frontrunners on behalf of the Harvard lesbian community. I met your helmoni during my escape. I can't risk my scholarship so that’s why I hopped into your helmoni’s Vespa.”

Eunbi:

“I saved your on that day, isn’t it? We were stopped by the police at a roadblock and I lied saying that we’re just back from the church. Luckily the police believed us.”

Sakura:

“The roadblock, I just remembered it now. I was ready to ram the police car from the back.”

Eunbi:

“And you don’t coz it was me who drove the Vespa. You don’t even have the license. If we rammed through the police car, Eugene won't be here.”

Sakura:

“But it's such a badassery that will amount to a legendary story,” Sakura pouted.

Eugene:

“So what happened after that day?”

Sakura:

“I can't find your helmoni after saying thank you to her. I don’t even know her name. So I waited in front of the church that she went to every Sunday. Turned out your helmoni is a Protestant so they went to church every Wednesday.”

Eunbi:

“Hahaha, so now you admit you’re the one asking me out?” Eunbi laughed at Sakura’s naivety.

Sakura:

“Fine, I admit I asked you first. Coz I can't stop thinking of you after our meeting.” Sakura smiled sweetly looking at Eunbi who mirrored her expression.

Eunbi:

“I did try to find you but I don’t know anything about you at all.” Eunbi turned to pout.

Eugene:

“So obachan you just hopped into helmoni’s Vespa and asked her to drive away just like that? Holy , you’re crazy. What if helmoni kidnapped you or someone from the gang?”

Sakura:

“Your helmoni looked harmless I thought she will be my safest bet to run away.”

Eunbi:

“I wish I can just leave you there just to see your reaction.”

Sakura:

“But you don’t cause you mesmerized by how y I am don’t you?” Sakura wiggled her eyebrows at Eunbi and Eunbi can't stop to roll her eyes seeing Sakura’s antics.

Sakura:

“Nonetheless the AIDS pandemic was real in our community. To bury your fallen brothers and some of their families disclaim them and we had to find any vacancy of the burial plots that will accept them. It's truly a dark and painful history in our community.”

Eugene:

“Helmoni, you’re a Christian right so what is your take on this?”

Eunbi:

“I’m not gonna lie but I was not very supportive of the cause. But after learning more from your obachan I started to understand and supportive of the community. One’s uality won't invalidate one’s religion.” Eunbi affirmed her stance while Sakura nodded at her appreciative of her principle.

Eugene:

“You guys didn’t tell me how you guys met again after you guys met. So how did you guys saw each other again?”

Eunbi:

“I went to Harvard for my final year project. We met again in Harvard library when I accidentally bumped into your obachan.”

Sakura:

“We are fated to see each other right Eunchan.” Eugene grinned hearing her helmoni’s pet name.

Eunbi:

“Yes,” Eunbi's face turned a shade of pink and it caused Sakura to have an amused grin looking at her beloved wife.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter