Chapter 1

Daughter of Aphrodite
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: I initially wrote this for a completely different fandom but wasn't able to continue it, hoping I could this time. I haven't really figured out how many chapters it will have but it won't probably exceed 15 chapters, but we'll see. Enjoy ;)

 

_

 

Left-right, left-right, left-

“Ugh!”

Irene tripped on her own foot while marching in full armor and dragging a ridiculously large sword by her side. The ones walking behind her all stumbled down like a stack of dominoes, thrown off by the sudden halt of momentum.

“Children of Aphrodite!”

Their commanding officer from Cabin 7 frowned in disapproval at the disorderly scene.

“Get up, weaklings! You move like you haven’t eaten anything from breakfast!”

Irene her dry lips. She’s certain that they’ll be dehydrated if they stay out in the open for a few more minutes.

It was a hot day, boo. The burning ball of fire overhead relentlessly showered them with uv rays. Their exposed skin not covered by the armors sizzled like barbeques on a blazing grill.

It was the consequence for losing at Capture the Flag, the overall champions get to do anything they want to the losing teams for a day.

Unfortunately, they were one of the losing teams.

The Apollo cabin had the honor of selecting the penalty for Cabin 10 and the god of poetry kids favored ‘training the weak’ treatment.

The people who were the least inclined to participate in bloody battles had to wear heavy steel armors, equally heavy steel weapons, and trot all day in the field until someone dropped dead.

Figuratively, at least.

“March!” the officer ordered.

“I’m super tempted to use charmspeak on this bastard and tell him to jump in to the lake ,” Hayoung whispered to Irene, wiping the perspiration glistening on her perfect brow.

Irene smiled at the image of the threat. Her siblings – or rather half-siblings – all groaned painfully as they got up, picking their weapons and shields from the ground.

“Why couldn’t we have dressed lightly and had bows instead of spears?” Joy, another of Irene’s sisters helped her to stand up.

Jinah – or most commonly known as Nana – the head counselor of the Aphrodite cabin, shook her head in dismay as she urged the group to continue marching.

“I’ve tried negotiating about the bows, but gods, no one could find a single damn bow in the armory. I’m guessing that the Apollo kids hid them. Just out of spite, of course.”

Irene threw a quick glance at a bunch of Apollo girls who were gossiping under a tree in the distant, apparently snickering about something they find really hilarious. In their midst sat Wendy Son, the acting head counselor for the Sun god (Will Solace was visiting Camp Jupiter together with Piper Mclean).

About a month ago, someone from Irene’s cabin played a prank on one of the Apollo girls – there was a constant stream of flowers raining on her from a small cloud above her head that would follow her wherever she goes. She’d be buried under several feet of flowers if she sat still in one place for too long.

The camp thought it was really funny, except for the cabin where she came from.

Chiron ultimately put a stop to it when the Apollo girl issued a formal complaint, accompanied by Wendy who demanded a full-blown punishment for the culprit.

And since no one from the Aphrodite campers admitted the prank as their own doing, the whole lot was grounded. They were in the kitchen duty for a week.

But that only started a bad rivalry between the two cabins. They’ve spent every waking moments trying to get even with each other, until now.

_

“I think I’m gonna pass out,” Joy wheezed as she limped to her bunk, shedding the extra layer of clothes that they had to wear, leaving a trail of leather and chainmail on the floor.

“I’ll need ambrosia. I don’t think I’ll be able to walk tomorrow,” Hayoung stumbled on her bed, strands of hair clung to her face. “Honestly, I feel like I’ve broken a bone.”

Irene first helped the younger kids out of their armors and strappings, then retired to her own space, almost carelessly fainting on the sheets.

“Anyone wanna go to the infirmary?” she murmured to her companions, voice muffled by the pillow.

“Yes if you agree to carry me,” Joy replied, eyes closed. “My feet just died or something.”

“I think my tan lines will last a year,” cried another one from the opposite side of the room. Irene would have laughed at that complaint, except that everything hurts when she moved.

Nana came in shortly with a tray full of tiny shot glasses filled with golden liquid.

“I had to call in a few favors for this,” the head counselor told them while serving the unusual concoction. “Better appreciate it.”

Hayoung accepted a glass and experimentally sniffed the liquid in her hand. “What’s this, nectar?”

Nana nodded, passing the tray to the boys. “Nectar and some other things. Don’t ask, just drink.”

Irene shut her eyes and swallowed the golden brew in one gulp. It tasted vaguely like honey and lemon. She can feel it sweeping down , warm and syrupy.

When it settled on her stomach, the warmth spread throughout her whole body, easing most of the aching parts and the sunburnt skin in an instant. She felt refreshed as well.

“Wow,” Joy breathed, staring at Nana as if she was a goddess herself. “I feel so much better.”

The Aphrodite campers chorused their thanks to the head counselor. Nana smiled modestly, and waved her hand like it was nothing.

“Aw, it’s okay. It’s my job anyway.”

Irene grinned to her appreciatively, Nana winked back.

“Now that our sentence is done,” Nana put her game face on, all stern and serious as she rounded Irene, Joy, and Hayoung. “We’ve got some planning to do.”

As much as the whole Camp Half-Blood would like to think otherwise, their cabin isn’t as shallow as they seem to be. It’s just that they’re not as competitive or athletic as the others, but that doesn’t mean that they can’t fight back when such need arises.

_

The rest of the day was more relaxing and uneventful. The whole Aphrodite cabin recuperated by lounging outside, styling each other’s hair, and mingled with the other demigods.

The foursome opted to waste their free time near the edge of the strawberry fields, still working on their plan to overthrow the Apollo cabin.

Okay, maybe not overthrow but you get it.

“There’s an unwritten rule within the Apollo cabin regarding this whole rivalry thing,” Irene said just out of the blue. “Never to have a fling, flirt, fraternize, or e with the enemy.”

“Count on the Apollo children to come up with that kind of decree,” Joy scoffed, shaking her head. “It either has to start with the same letter or has a rhyme.”

Irene nodded, smirking a little. “Let’s hit them where it hurts.”

“Will and Piper’s gonna be back next week,” Hayoung informed them, receiving a text from Tzuyu – one of their more resourceful cabinmates. “We need to do it before they come back or we’ll never get to do it.”

“Tonight?” Nana looked around them. They were sitting on a picnic blanket that Hayoung brought.

Irene pulled thoughtfully on a grass beside her shoes. “I guess tonight is safe.”

Joy nodded her agreement.

“Tonight it is then,” Nana sighed a little nervously.

“Let’s pray to the gods – except Apollo – that this plan work,” Joy muttered, both hands raised towards the horizon, as if blocking out the last rays of the setting sun.

“We do acknowledge that whatever happens, success or failure, we will be facing penalty, right?”

The other three girls nodded, though grimly.

Just then, the dinner bell rang.

“Let’s go,” Nana beckoned them, standing up. “It’s break or make time.”

_

Irene quickly got in the line behind a Demeter girl for the offering after hastily taking her food from a passing hamadryad.

Hayoung tapped her shoulder. She was also holding a plate with a portion for burning.

“The target has not yet arrived,” she whispered urgently, fully immersed in their secret op.

Irene turned her head for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter