happily ever after

the happily ever after
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Noona where?"

Sehun chuckled, "Noona is a little busy today. But you can have her tomorrow," he said, ruffling the boy's hair. "Don't pout," he rubbed his fingers against his lips, easing the pout into a straight line. "You have hyung today. But you don't seem happy."

"Noona play lego with me," little Sungjae said. Sehun smiled, adoration in his eyes. "Hyung, you want to play with Sungjae?"

Sehun nodded enthusiastically before letting the boy pull him inside the playroom. The run down building was barely holding itself up, the bricks and plaster older than Sehun himself, and he was a man of twenty three now. But over the fifty or more years, this building had been a humble abode for the orphans, where they would house the children from the streets, or from parents who failed to make a living for their children. Little balls of sunshine they were, laughter in every corner of the building, paper flowers, clay dolls, little beds tucked in the corners of the rooms, an old staircase with creaking floorboards. All of it made a happy picture. He liked this place.

His shoulders hunched as he helped the little girl with her pigtails, making her laugh with the words he said, and he wondered, if there will be a time she would have a mommy and papa like she wished. Sungjae was building a fort out of his legos, saying they could protect Sarang inside it. They really loved her, well who didn't? Sehun helped him, making a story of Princess Sarang who was stuck inside this fort and the one to rescue her was Almighty Knight Sungjae. Sungjae liked the story a lot. It showed, in the way his eyes sparkled. Sehun wished, someday, Sungjae would protect someone too, with all his heart just like he wanted to.

Usually, Sarang would visit the orphanage with him. But today she had a queue to stand in. Junmyeon Oppa's stage, he remembered her saying, flailing her arms in excitement. That was why Sehun hadn't bothered her. Today, the kids would just have to do with him because Sarang was in no way missing Junmyeon's show. At these times, Sehun would think who came to her first? Oh Sehun or Kim Junmyeon?

It was stupid maybe, to many. To be jealous of a superstar who most probably didn't even know about his girlfriend's existence. This inexplicable urge to erase Junmyeon from her brain was intensifying everyday. He would sadly smile when she would tell him of the things Junmyeon did, the ways he would make her heart flutter. Was that usual for fangirls? Or was it just Sarang?

Absent-mindedly, Sehun colored the stick man that Daera had drawn. She was telling him a story but he could barely concentrate on it. Did Sarang really have no idea of the things she did to him?

"Sehun."

There was Daisy at the door, the keeper of the orphanage. She had her smile on. Sehun furrowed his brows when she said there was a couple requesting for a girl, they were in the office. Sehun was curious, and also worried. Often, the couple who adopted a child wouldn't treat them right and he was scared. "I'll send them in," Daisy said, touching his arm, "Show them around."

To his greatest astonishment, it was Kim Junmyeon who walked out of the door of the office, a lady on his side. Sehun blinked, confirming that it really was Junmyeon, the record-breaking artist with the highest album sale, digital and physical, and so many other things that Sarang had told him but he had forgotten. Sehun's eyes were wide so he tried to calm it down and act like he didn't know Junmyeon. When the man approached him, he awkwardly bowed, nervously looking up at the two smiley faces.

"Sehun?" Junmyeon asked.

He abruptly nodded, not returning the warm smile. Questions ran wild inside his brain. One after another, whistling like a train, barking like a dog, like the sound of the broken air conditioner in his old apartment, all the unpleasant things combined. Sehun his lips, pulling the cap down to conceal his face even more.

"I'm Junmyeon."

This guy really thought he didn't know that name. He literally heard it everyday.

"And this is my girlfriend."

Sehun's insides screeched like a banshee, like all of his organs were being pulled into a blackhole, before there was a moment of absolute silence. Sehun glanced at the short girl, she looked like a mother, a little chubby, cute with round cheeks, like there were lollipops tucked inside her cheeks. Her hair was a shade of brown, and something in his brain said that she would be a really good mother. She smiled up at him, "Song Hyemi, nice to meet you, Sehun."

And her voice was soft and deep. "Can we look around?" She asked, arching her excited brows at her boyfriend. Junmyeon looked back at Sehun and he was weirded out because he had always thought that the likes of  Junmyeon would never ask for permission. Sehun moved from the doorway, gesturing them to come inside. Junmyeon had a permanent smile on his face as he held his girlfriend's hand. Sehun couldn't help but wonder how Sarang would take it. All of this happening before his eyes, all the new information in his head were overwhelming him.

"I would really love a girl," Song Hyemi said. "four year old, maybe. I'm not really with kids below that age."

"You'll do just fine, Mimi," Junmyeon said, ruffling the little guy's head who didn't even look back at him. Sehun wondered if Junmyeon was offended because ignorance might not be something he was used to. Junmyeon looked up at him, "Do you work here?"

Sehun shook his head.

"Oh, so you volunteer?" The lady asked with gleaming sweet eyes. Sehun shortly nodded, not knowing what happened to his tongue. He wasn't the type to be fazed by people. But he couldn't even speak. "That's a noble work you do," she patted his arm. Sehun blinked, a little taken aback.

"Daisy was talking about someone named Areum. Can we see her?" Junmyeon asked. Sehun took a huge breath in, giving him a nod. With slow steps, he led them to the little girl playing in the corner with her clay dolls. Sehun crouched low when he reached her, caressing the pigtails he had just made a while ago on her head.

"Rimi," he called out. Areum looked up instantly, stopping the song she was humming. Sehun passed her the smile he could manage. "There are some friends here to meet you today. Say hi to them," he said, gently, rising from the position. Areum had just turned four some days ago. That was most probably why Daisy had recommended her to the couple.

Areum hid behind his leg, mumbling a little hi with timid eyes. Hyemi cooed at the girl. "Hi, how are you doing today?" she reached Areum's eye level to talk. Areum only nodded, conveying that she was doing fine and that she was feeling shy. Hyemi didn't touch her, and Sehun appreciated that. Usually, couples would pull the cheeks and try to hug the kids, or pick them up, infuriating him.

Junmyeon just chuckled, watching his girlfriend. Sehun stayed by Areum's side for a long time as Hyemi tried to talk to her. Junmyeon sat with him, looking at his girlfriend with that gaze, the gaze Sehun always had for Sarang. Sehun could already see some hundred buckets of tears flowing down Sarang's eyes once she would get to know. "Are you getting married?" Sehun asked him.

Junmyeon nodded with a smile, "I am. It's time to settle down, I think. I'm becoming old after all."

Sehun chuckled, "My girlfriend wouldn't agree. I would be doomed if I say you are old."

"Your girlfriend . . . " Junmyeon arched his brows. Sehun wondered if Junmyeon was just playing around, expecting people to not recognize him or be his fan. "She knows me."

"Are you kidding me? Who doesn't know you?" Sehun smiled sadly. he felt Areum moving away from his body. She looked at Hyemi who was busy dressing up her doll, the blonde one that Areum liked the most. Areum completely moved away from him, going towards Hyemi. He smiled, wondering if Areum liked her already. That would be good.

"Sarang loves you a lot," Sehun continued, "Maybe more than me."

Junmyeon was quick to catch the tone, "She most probably doesn't. I don't know a lot about her, but I think she loves you more than she loves anyone else. I mean, it would absurd, to love someone who had never been around you, or called out your name, or looked into your eyes with nothing in between."

Sehun shrugged, "Can I ask something from you?"

Junmyeon smiled slightly. "After talking to you for a while, I can predict it wouldn't be anything silly. You sound like a wise person."

"Do I?" Sehun chuckled, "Maybe I am. I mean, what are those A stars in my credentials for, right?"

"Wow, you're smarter than I can ever imagine being," Junmyeon laughed. "I failed my GCSEs. I was never into studying anyway."

"Please do take care of Areum," Sehun intervened, glancing at the guy with pleading eyes. Sehun made Junmyeon look at Areum who was laughing with Hyemi now, sitting on her lap as they made a story out of the many dolls around them. "I think you will anyway. You are good people."

"Hyemi . . . Hyemi can never give birth," Junmyeon revealed. "That's why we're here. We want to be parents and I want to be happy. You're the only one who knows this, apart from us two and the doctor. We've always wanted a family and it's about time."

"Don't worry about it, Sehun. I'll be the best Papa for Areum," Junmyeon said. "We will protect her."

Sehun nodded slightly, looking back at the little girl, feeling relief wash over him watching her laugh with Hyemi. "Daisy found her one night, in the street. Shivering in the rain and looking for her parents in her wobbly feet. She was two back then. Everyone . . . everyone in this building has a story, a story they might forget growing up. But I'll always remember. An

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter