Finale

The Bet

“Jung Eunha-ssi, go out with me.”

As soon as those words leaving the taller girl's mouth, a loud of gasp and murmured can be heard echoing around the classroom while Eunha can only look at the taller girl with a blank expression on her face.

It was no secret anymore around the school that Kim Sowon is one of the most gorgeous students in their school with a pair of dark intense eyes and long silky hair that she dyed into blonde which made her look more gorgeous if that even possible. Not to mention she got a body like a model that girls are dying to have it.

However, no one can deny that Kim Sowon was a really scary student. She always had a stern and seriously looked on her face that sometimes can be turned into a glared when people approach her and talk to her too much. No one ever saw her smile or showing any other emotions on her face. And because of that people usually stay away from her.

She got many fans, yes but no one dares to get close to her except a few of her close friends.

Many people, especially Kim Sowon’s fans will be really happy if they are the ones who got a confession from the girl and Eunha was so sure that most of the students in her school will do anything to trade place with her.

Which Eunha will gladly do.

Eunha was not stupid, she knows exactly why Kim Sowon, asking her out. It’s all because of a bet that all her classmates taking a part of it, a bet where the one who gets the lowest grade on the final exams will get a punishment which is dating the school lame nerd, herself, Jung Eunha.

Of course Eunha wasn’t supposed to know the bet but fortunately or unfortunately for her, she accidentally hear it when she comes back to her class to retrieve her notebook that she accidentally left on her desk drawer.

 

One week ago

“So wanna make a bet?” a voice that Eunha recognize as Kang Hyunmo, one of the popular boy in her class, said making Eunha halted her movement from opening the class door, instead Eunha put her ear on the door trying to eavesdrop the conversation that happens in the class right now where she isn’t there.

“Sure! What is it?” another voice piped in with interest lace in the tone of her voice.

“Whoever got the lowest grade in our next final exams, have to date Jung Eunha for a week!” Hyunmo said, laughing.

“Jung Eunha? Eww, why you pick that girl?! She is so lame!! I mean sure, she is a bit cute but always spending her time alone reading a book at the back of the class? What a boring girl!” a scoffed and followed by a murmur of agreement from people in the classroom.

Eunha’s heart clenched, she regretted her decision to go back to her classroom to retrieve her notebook. She knew that she was a simple plain girl who almost does nothing aside from reading books back in the class and almost never talks to her classmates, but that is not a good reason for her to be treated like that, right?

“Geez, because of that I pick her! I mean if I pick a pretty girl in our classroom then it was not a punishment right?” Hyunmo reasoned while chuckling.

“Oh, I see your point! Then count us all in! There’s no way I will lose this!”

“You said that but later you will be the one who loses.”

“Hey, don’t jinx it!!”

Eunha let out a sigh as she wiped the tears on the corner of her eyes and then quickly turned around and walked away from the classroom that still filled with a happy laugh.

 

Present

“Why from all people in the classroom must be Sowon-ssi?” Eunha thought bitterly as she looked at the taller girl who looked back at her with no expression.

Eunha looked around the classroom, trying to see her classmate's reaction towards the sudden event which really can be count as funny and amusing if only it’s not Eunha who was their center of attention.

Her classmates wear various expressions on their faces. From anxious to worry to angry to disbelieved to jealousy but nothing can beat the expression that Hyunmo gave to her. A glared and a mix of jealousy and anger expression that was showing on his face.

Seeing that expression on Hyunmo’s face, however, made Eunha feel oddly satisfied. It is not a secret anymore that Hyunmo has a huge crush on Kim Sowon (he actually proclaims his love towards Sowon who only gave him a glance and walked away) and now Kim Sowon just asks Eunha out because of the bet.

Eunha wanted to laugh.

There is nothing better than seeing how the villain’s (yes, he is a villain in Eunha’s mind) plan backfired.

Which is why before she could even realize what she was doing, already said, “Yes.”

A loud gasping and murmured can be heard once again but all Eunha do was just looking at the girl in front of her straight into her eyes and then gave a small smile.

“Well, two can play this game.”

 

XXX

 

Eunha stared at the taller girl back while inwardly let out a sighed. She knew that Sowon dating her was just from the stupid punishment game, but at least she can put some effort into their ‘relationship’. Small talk or walking side by side was not too much to ask right? It was natural after all.

But of course, it was too much for the taller girl who obviously didn’t know how to socialize.

Not that Eunha had the right to say that because she too didn’t have many friends as she tending to stay at the corner and be a loner, but at least she have many friends before when she was in the elementary school and she can make some decent conversation if she wants to.

They’ve been walking together for 10 minutes now ever since Sowon asked Eunha to walk home together which Eunha said yes while trying her best to ignore all the glared she got from the jealous people around them, and yet not even once the taller girl said any words to start up their conversation.

They didn’t even walk side by side as Sowon walked a few feet in front of her, putting some distance between them.

“Did you use the bus or train, Eunha-ssi?”

Eunha looked up from the ground at the sound of the taller girl's voice and stared directly at the dark eyes. “Oh, you finally talk.”

“I’m sorry, what was that?”

“I said train.” Eunha covered up quickly and smiled, “I came by train.”

Sowon nodded, “I see.”

Then they walked once again in silence and stay like that until they reach the station and Eunha want nothing more but sighed in relief as she finally can get away from the suffocating silence.

“Thank you for accompany me, Sowon-ssi,” Eunha said as they reach the station and gave Sowon a small smile.

“It’s okay, I take the train too.” Sowon answered as she looked at the train schedule, “Which train did you take Eunha-ssi?”

“I take the train to station 3.”

“Me too.”

Eunha arched her eyebrows in confusion, she didn’t know that Sowon was staying in the same place area with her. Furthermore, she never saw Sowon riding the same train with her.

“Really? Then why I never saw you at the station or on the same train with me, Sowon-ssi?” Eunha asked as she looked at the taller girl in front of her.

“The train is always packed at the time like this.” Sowon answered nonchalantly with a shrug, “Besides I usually like to stay late at school.”

Eunha nodded her head, well it was true that the train always packed at the time like this. So probably Eunha didn’t see Sowon even when they ride the same train as there are too many people on the train.

“Shall we?” Sowon said and for a split second, Eunha swears she saw a smile on the taller girl usually stoic face.

“Okay,” Eunha said and then followed the taller girl to buy their train tickets and wait for their train together - finally standing side by side - in the station 3 and just a few feet behind the yellow line.

While waiting for their train together, Eunha can’t help but observe Sowon who standing beside her with her usual calm and stoic serious face.

The girl sure is beautiful even when she was doing nothing but standing and have that usual face of her. It was obvious that other people notice that too because Eunha swears that many people steal glances towards Sowon all the time they are together.

Eunha couldn’t help but think that looked sure can be deceiving as she always thought that Sowon will be one of the students who always got a perfect score in every subject since she always looked so serious and everything.

“The train is here, Eunha-ssi.” The voice from Sowon break Eunha’s deep thinking and pulled her back to the real world which is not something that she actually really want to because apparently she’s been staring at Sowon’s face the whole time she was thinking and now the taller girl looked at her with looking confused and much to Eunha’s surprise, a slight blushed adorned her face. “Is there something wrong on my face?” Sowon asked.

“N-Nothing.” Eunha said quickly as she also can feel the heat coming to her face, “Let’s ride the train.”

Eunha quickly walked inside the train with Sowon behind her and just when she thought that there’s nothing more embarrassing than getting caught staring, fate seems to throw her another much more embarrassing moment.

Not even in a minute, the before empty cart now packed with people which making Eunha found herself getting push here and thereby them and only stopped when Sowon suddenly pulled her wrist and gently pushed her shoulders so that her back now laying on the train door. Sowon then put both of her hands at the empty space beside Eunha’s head and shielding the girl from the crowd in the train but at the same time makes their body almost touch each other because of the closeness and the shoving.

Eunha’s heartbeat really fast as the scent of cider filling her lungs. She can almost feel her heart skip the beat every time Sowon got pushed by people making her become closer than before or even brushing Eunha’s body slightly.

But nothing can ever beat the scene that Eunha saw.

Kim Sowon, the usually stoic and emotionless girl looked really flustered with a red face that spread until the tip of her ears and how she tried her best to avoid eye contact with Eunha and mumbled apologize for every time their body brushed each other.

The taller girl was obviously really embarrassed about the situation they are in right now, and yet without failed she tried her best to protect Eunha with the best she could.

And that fact alone makes Eunha’s face change into a few darker red shade and her heart beat faster than she could ever imagine.

 

XXX

 

“This is my home,” Eunha said, trying her best to not sound shy when they finally reach her apartment.

The walked from the station until Eunha’s home was as good as it could be after the embarrassing moment in the train before.

Which means, a really awkward moment between the two girls.

“Oh, okay,” Sowon said, a slight blushed still apparent on her face. “Then, see you tomorrow Eunha-ssi.”

Eunha nodded, smiling, “See you tomorrow Sowon-ssi.”

Sowon nodded but didn’t do any movement that indicating she was moving from the spot. The realization then dawned upon Eunha as she tried her best not to chuckle at the taller girl.

“Seems like she won’t go until I went inside.” Eunha thought with a small smile on her face before she finally turns her back on the taller girl and walked inside her apartment.

And just like what Eunha predicted, Sowon didn’t move at all, not until she saw Eunha finally went inside her home that she then let out a small sighed of relief and began to walk in the direction she came before.

She didn’t aware of the pair of eyes that observing her retreating figure.

 

XXX

 

“Uhm… Sowon-ssi, h-here.” Eunha shyly said with a blush as she offered a wrapped lunch box towards Sowon who looked at her with surprised eyes.

“For me?” Sowon asked as she carefully took the wrapped lunch from Eunha’s hand.

“Y-Yes…” Eunha blushed as she quickly looked away from Sowon, “It’s a thank you gift.”

“Eh?”

“For helping me on the train yesterday.” Eumha shyly admits.

Sowon mouth formed an ‘o’ before she shook her head and much to Eunha surprised (and delight), smiled. “You don’t have to, Eunha-ssi,” Sowon said as she unwrapped the lunch box while Eunha watches her curiously, wondering and slightly afraid with the reaction that the taller girl will show.

“Oh...” Sowon said as soon as she pulls up the lunch box lid.

The lunch box that Eunha gave to Sowon is not too fancy or too simple. The lunch box is filled with simple kimbabs, sausages that Eunha already sliced to make it looks like crabs and octopus, scrambled eggs and some side dishes which are sliced tomatoes and cucumbers.

Eunha watched nervously as Sowon took a bite on her kimbab.

“H-How is it?” Eunha asked carefully, trying to read the other girl's mind.

Sowon waits until she finished gulping the food before opened “Did you… made this on your own?” Sowon asked.

“Y-yes.” Eunha said nervously, “T-This is the first time I tried to cook and I am sorry if it tastes bad or-“.

“I like it,” Sowon said, cutting Eunha ramble.

“Really?” Eunha asked happily as her face beamed.

Sowon nodded her head and continue to eat her lunch. Eunha beamed happily as she saw how Sowon eats the lunch she made. She too opens her own wrapped lunch that she made for herself together with Sowon’s, “Thank goodness! Please help yourself!”

“Ah, Eunha-ssi-“

Eunha spat out the kimbab she just put inside .

Eyes widened in horror.

The kimbab taste is horrible.

She can’t even describe it with words about how horrible the taste is.

Eunha quickly turned around and looked at Sowon who only gave her a small smile and then looked at the almost empty lunch box.

“How can you eat this?! This tastes horrible!” Eunha cried out as she tried to take the lunch box from Sowon’s hand who quickly hide it behind her back. “Give it back Sowon-ssi!”

“No.”

“Why?!” Eunha shouted.

“I like it,” Sowon said.

“What are you talking about? It tastes really really bad!” Eunha cried out

“But I like it Eunha-ssi,” Sowon said in a soft voice which made Eunha stopped her action from trying to take the lunch box away. Eunha looked up, and her breath hitched along with a crazy beating heart as she saw Sowon looked at her with the gentlest looked and smiled, “I really like it.”

XXX

A few days had pass ever since Sowon asked Eunha out and Eunha now can say that she now already get used to with their routine which is going to school together, study in the class, eating lunch together and then walked home together.

She loves spending her time with Sowon.

Sowon was not like what people thought she is, she just didn’t know how to interact with other people and instead she putting a wrong vibe around her making people see her as a scary and stoic figure but once she opened up with someone they will see her true self.

The caring, kind girl and yet can be childish sometimes. Which never fails to make Eunha laughed every time Sowon show her that side of her.

She still remembers how Sowon got exposed by her best friend, Jung Yerin when she saw them walked out from the train in Eunha’s neighborhood.

(“Why are you even in here?” Yerin asked as soon as she saw Sowon walked out from the train.

“Jung Yerin,” Sowon said with a sighed while beside her Eunha looked at Yerin and Sowon curiously. She heard that Sowon is best friend with Jung Yerin however Eunha never actually saw them interact even though she’s been going out with Sowon for a while now.

“Your house is not around here,” Yerin said, frowning.

“It’s not?” Eunha asked in surprised and Yerin finally looked at her. formed an o when she saw Eunha and suddenly she smirks.

“Oh I see,” Yerin said as she wriggling her eyebrows towards Sowon who scowl, “Is she the reason why you take a long way to go home? Wow Kim Sowon, I am impressed.”

“Shut up,” Sowon said between her gritted teeth and Yerin laughed hard.

“Wait, your house is not around this area?” Eunha asked as she tugged the hem of Sowon’s blazer which made Sowon looked at her with a slight blush.

“I-ignore her, Eunha-ssi. She-“

“Her house actually a few minutes’ walks from school.” Yerin interrupts and much to Eunha's surprise, Sowon shouted as she stomped her feet, “Jung Yerin!!! Stop!!!”

“She adores you.” Yerin teased.

“That’s it!” Sowon shouted before she chases after the giggling Yerin who already ran the moment she saw Sowon walked towards her).

Every day Sowon always stay by her side and always listen to her problem and stories and no matter what Eunha told her, Sowon never judge her. Sowon always there smiling and sometime tell her about her own point of view about the stories or the problem that Eunha had.

It feels good to have someone like Sowon as she was everything that Eunha could ever hope.

And Eunha couldn’t help herself for falling for the taller girl.

 

XXX

 

“ THIS!” Hyunmo shouted which making everyone in the class looking at them, “Until when are you going to keep doing this, Sowon-ssi!!”.

Eunha already knows the moment Hyunmo and her friends suddenly walked to them looking almost furiously at her and Sowon, which means no good.

“It’s been more than a week!!” Hyunmo shouted again making Sowon scowled in anger before the former looked at Eunha almost like glaring at the girl and shouted while pointing at Eunha, “You don’t have to keep staying with that!!”

Eunha can feel how her heart broken in pieces, not because Hyunmo called her that but because of something else. How could she forget that Sowon is with her only because of the bet she was participating with the other students in her class. She enjoys spending her time with Sowon too much that she already forget that thing in the first place and now when Hyunmo comes and reminds her about it, it feels really hurt.

Like a slap on the face.

“Watch it,” Sowon said, her face is stoic, but anyone could hear from the tone of her voice that she is not happy that Hyunmo called Eunha that.

However, Hyunmo not even spared Sowon glance moreover heard her words as he keeps glaring at Eunha and spat, “Listen, you crazy girl! Don’t you ever think that Sowon-ssi wants to spend her time with you or even love you in the first place! She did it only because of we-“

“You-“

Eunha quickly grabbed Sowon’s uniform, holding the taller girl from moving towards Hyunmo. Usually, Sowon was level-headed but it seems that she was really angry to even care to be like that.

“Stop it, Sowon-ssi,” Eunha said as she gave Sowon a pleading looked. She didn’t want Sowon to do something that she will regret.

“Eunha-ssi…”

However, that action seems like making Hyunmo more irritated as he shouted angrily while moving forwards Eunha which made Sowon quickly stood in front of her to shield her from Hyunmo, “Do you really thought that Sowon-ssi really loves you, Jung Eunha?! It was all just a punishment game!! Sowon-ssi dating you because we bet that anyone who got the lowest rank will have to date you as a punishment, so-!!!”

“Kang Hyunmo-“

“I know,” Eunha said calmly, surprising all the people there including Sowon who now looked at her with a surprised yet at the same time guilty looked. “I accidentally heard you guys talk in the classroom that day.”

“Wh-What?” Sowoni weakly muttered looking at Eunha.

“I already knew that you become my girlfriend and spend your time with me is all because of a bet.” Eunha said, looking at Sowon with teary eyes, “I know that you only do all of that because you got the lowest grade in the last final test.”

Hyunmo scoffed, “You know that and yet you still do it? Just how stupid can you be?”

Eunha looked at the ground on her feet, trying her best to avoid Sowon’s eyes, “You guys want to play with my feelings and hurt me and yet you all didn’t think that it was Sowon-ssi who got the lowest rank in the last final test. So when you guys realize she was the one who needs to date me, you guys become jealous and angry, it was so obvious from the way you all looked at me. Your game was backfired. And so back then when Sowon-ssi asked me out I thought that, ‘why not? Two can play this game.’”

“Eunha-ssi-“

“But the more I know Sowon-ssi, the more I know how genuine, kind and caring she is and that… that makes me forget about this bet and everything. I-“ Eunha looked at Sowon who looked at her with unreadable looked on her face. “I am stupid because I forget about that and… because I fall for you Sowon-ssi.”

The loud gasped can be heard from Hyunmo and all students who are watching but right now nothing is a matter for Eunha aside from Sowon as she looked up and stared straightly towards Sowon’s dark eyes which are widened in surprise.

“I’m sorry…” Eunha muttered before she quickly runs away from the scene, ignoring Sowon shouted of her name.

“This is it, it’s over now…” Eunha thought as she keeps running, tears fell down freely from her eyes that she is not even bothering to wipe off, “Now I can’t even face Sowon-ssi anymore, I am so stupid-“

“Eunha-ssi!!!” a loud familiar voice shouted before Eunha feel her hand is yanked back, making her back collided with a soft warm body as Sowon circled her arms tightly around her, as if afraid that if she let Eunha go, Eunha would be gone.

Which is actually not wrong at all.

“P-please let me go.” Eunha pleads as she struggling inside Sowon’s hold.

“Eunha-ssi, please…” Sowon whispered desperately as she tightened her grip around Eunha.

Eunha struggled for a few more minutes before she finally realizes that Sowon won’t let her go any soon, that and the fact that Sowon is a lot stronger than her.

Sighing in defeat, Eunha stop herself from struggling and wiped the tears from her eyes and cheeks which is quite difficult considering Sowon still trapped her in her tight hug.

“Why are you saying sorry, Eunha-ssi?” Sowon began softly when she feel Eunha stop struggling and carefully turn Eunha’s body around and wipe another tear that almost fell down from Eunha’s eye. “I should be the one who said sorry to you. I hurt you.”

“I-“

Sowon softly smiled, “Eunha-ssi, I know I am wrong for participating in the bet. But I swear to you that everything I did to you, the time we spent together is genuine. I never, not even once lied to you. I truly enjoy the time we are together. I had my own reason actually…”

Eunha titled her head, “Your own reason?”

“Yes, about why I even take a part on the game.” Sowon coughed nervously and her face slightly red in embarrassment. She then pulled away from Eunha and take grab the smaller girl's hand gently, “ Come with me, I’ll show you.” She said before gently took Eunha towards her locker.

Once they are in front of it, Sowon opens it, took a few papers out from it and gives it to Eunha who hesitantly grabs it.

Confused, Eunha throws Sowon a glance before looked at the content of the paper just to gasp in a surprise a minute later and looked at Sowon with disbelieve and surprise stare.

“This is… Why?”

Sowon smiled nervously, “I’ve been interested in you a long time ago Eunha-ssi, but I could never build up my courage to go and just talk to you. I thought that you probably won’t notice me or you will just see me as a weird person.”

Eunha blinked confusedly, “But there’s no way I don’t know who you are, Sowon-ssi.”

“Eh?”

“I mean we are classmates,” Eunha explained with a slight blush on her cheeks.

“Oh …” Sowon chuckled nervously as she scratched her now red cheek. “But it still didn’t mean you won’t find me as an awkward or weird person.”

Eunha let out a chuckled at that.

Sowon smiled as she continued her story, “You see I try so many times before to gather up my courage by trying to practicing to talk with other students, but I don’t know why the more I tried to talk to them the more they thought I was being… well, scary?” Sowon runs her hand through her hair in frustration and Eunha couldn’t help but chuckled at the cute display the taller girl shows her.

“So after so many failed attempts, I was on the edge of give up from trying and just looking at you from afar.” Eunha frowned, “But of course that didn’t work out as well because the moment Hyunmo-ssi brought up about the bet I couldn’t find myself thinking straight. I keep thinking about all the possible what if someone dating you and you ended up fall in love with them, but more than that I was afraid that they will hurt your feelings.”

Eunha smiled, “And then you did this?” Eunha asked as she shows the blank exam papers in her hand towards Sowon who right now looked like she just steps out from the sauna as her face really red right now, even the tip of her ears are red and Eunha bet that all of her blood must be rushed upon her face.

“Yes,” Sowon said in a voice almost like a whisper.

Eunha then walked closer to Sowon, softly grab the taller girl's hands before lightly squeeze it and gave Sowon her most grateful smiled as she said, “Thank you...”

“Eunha-ssi…” Sowon took a lungful of air before softly breathe it out to calm herself and then give Eunha her most charming smile that Eunha ever saw.

A shy and nervous smiled adorned with a blush on her cheeks.

“I should be the one who said thank you. Thank you for not leaving me because I know how difficult I can be and thank you for loving me the awkward and weird person like me, Eunha-ssi.”

“What are we now, Sowon-ssi?” Eunha asked, feeling a little bit bold as she took one step closer towards Sowon.

“Whatever you want us to be,” Sowon said softly before she leans down and met her lips with Eunha’s soft lips.

 


A/N: Thank you everyone for taking your time to read and giving my story a chance! Once again I am sorry for the grammar error and I hope you guys like this chapter! Don't be afraid to comment if you want to ask me something!

Oh also if you want to talk to me or just be friends with me in twitter you can find me in @HayInTheden3. I will follow you back if you like that ^^

Thank you!