~~~

unrequited

Taeyeon looked out into the foggy sky, puffing out a drag of a freshly lit cigarette. She wasn’t a smoker, but today was a particular day where she allowed herself one. 

 

“Don’t get into a habit of those.” Tiffany’s voice rang in her head. “It’ll ruin your voice!”

 

The day brought emotions Taeyeon had vehemently pushed down, refusing to face them until they became too much. 

 

She thinks back to a moment, the moment that shifted something in her. She thinks it might have been her heart, but she’ll never admit that out loud.

 

 

“Taeyeon, have you ever thought about your wedding?” 

 

She looked up across the couch as Jessica casually flipped through a wedding catalog. Taeyeon silently shook her head, thoughts of Jessica in a wedding dress, standing across from her, flooded her head. 

 

“Never? Not even once?” 

 

Now she imagined putting a ring on Jessica’s finger. 

 

“Nope, not even once.”

 

 

Taeyeon breathed out, tossing her smoked out cigarette into an ashtray. 

 

The day had finally come. Jessica’s wedding. 

 

She watched on, tuning out the words from the  officiator, focusing instead on the woman who invaded her mind everyday. 

 

They asked for objections, there were none. Of course there were none. 

 

Taeyeon thinks in another world, she wouldn’t be sitting first row. She would be up there instead, standing across from Jessica.