Arena Di Verona

Seven Days

Saturday
05:35 pm, Verona, Italy

He cautiously stares at his wrist watch, warry. Twenty minutes has passes since he sits on the table outside of the restaurant. She had specifically mentioned to him to choose the seating outside, under the umbrella which is ideal for spending summer evening. He had reserved the table earlier prior to his arrival to the city, appreciating himself that he managed to dealt with complicated booking, which he had never done before, nor have experience it in his life. He even makes effort to show up in the restaurant thirty minutes before five, which he then declined entry and have to wait thirty more minutes before he was seated by the staff.

He is not satisfied with the situation. Once again, he rises his left arm to check on his wrist watch. He has always been punctual in his work ethic, as well as his life. That is the way he was rose by his family. He despises people who waste his time. He looks around his surrounding, the staff has been approaching his table twice, asking for his order and probably wondering why he hasn’t made his order yet, while they can sell the table for other customers who have now started to pack the restaurant. He slips his hand into his pants pocket, pulling out his cellphone hoping to find new email in his inbox. His thumb swipes the screen fast, and soon his disappointment grows when he didn’t find new email on his phone.

He has checked the date on his calendar, just to make sure he is not making mistake. If its not because of his family request, and because of the continuity of the company where he is work at, he will not waste his time to be here. In fact, he will not bother to waste three years of his time, correspondence through email while he couldn’t make direct contact with this woman he is about to meet. It makes his head itchy, despite the rapid development of communication technology and method, this woman only contacted him through emails. Twice a year, he will receive the emails from her, unexpectedly after a long pause of period usually. He couldn’t understand her at all.

He looks around the roads, to the guest and people who visit around the center of the city, searching for Asian looking woman that might be within the crowd. He had seen her picture in the emails that his secretary sent him, surely, he will recognize her face immediately for he had never forget people’s face. He couldn’t find the familiar face within the crowd or anywhere near the crowd. But the sound of wooden chair moves against the stone road, making him turn his head instantly to his right. To a woman, dressed in black top and a short skirt in front of him.

she takes off her shades with her left hand, while her other hand reaches for the nearest chair to put down her big brown leather briefcase bag. She sits calmly on her seat, leisurely rising her hand to signal the staff that she is ready to order. He stuns on his seat, blinking his eyes while starring at the woman who seat in front of him. He frowns, as he observes on her familiar face but yet not so familiar in his eyes. His brain races, his memory is trying to look back into the face of the woman that he will be meeting today, but he couldn’t recall any of it. His mind has turned blank due to the sudden presence of the woman in front of him.

“sorry to make you wait.” She speaks to him in the middle of her rapid breathing yet stern voice, calmly in her perfect Korean.

He didn’t make any mistake. She is his date for today.

“Jennifer sshi?” he asks softly, try to assure that he is not mistakenly attending woman.

She gives him a small smile, as she takes the napkin on the table and start to wipe the sweat on her forehead and neck.

“I prefer to be called Jeje.” She said

He nods his head unknowingly, “Jeje.” He calls for her name, as he extends his hand to her, offering for handshake.

The moment he pulls out his arm for handshake with her, regret comes to him in an instant. For a brief moment, he forgets that he is not in another business meeting that he usually attends. She looks puzzles for a second, before she extends her arm and shakes his hand in return.

“nice to meet you Seunghyun sshi.” Jeje said firmly,

She turns to the staff who is ready to take their order. Seunghyun checks on the menu in front of him, the book that has been his companion for the last thirty minutes. He hasn’t found his appetite, for he had been stealing glances to Jeje who now flipping on the menu book across his seat.

“have you found anything you want Seunghyun shi?” Jeje asks him, looking at him from the menu book on her hand

Seunghyun rises his shoulder, he is not familiar with the restaurant, as well as the menu in Italian language. He would want to order pizza or pasta, but in his thought those are mediocre. He don’t want to embarrass himself in front of her by making order that he is not familiar with.

“I am not sure yet.” He said after few second calculating in his head

“do you have allergic on anything?” she asks

He shakes his head, “no, I am good with everything.” He said

She gives him a nod before turning to the staff on her right, beamed as soon as she sees his familiar face, “Stephano!” she greets him nicely in Italian, as the man named Stephano beams at her.

“waah mia signora Jeje! Ben tornato! (my lady Jeje! Welcome back!)” Stephano greets her warmly, extending his both arms as they exchange a quick embrace.

Seunghyun witnesses her exchanging greeting with the restaurant staff, finding the greeting interesting. He didn’t know she could speak Italian.

“è passato molto tempo, mia signora. (its been a long time my lady)” Stephano said

“sono stato all'estero per un po ' Stephano. (I have been abroad Stephano)” Jeje said

“nuovo fidanzato? (new boyfriend?)” Stephano asks, mentioning about Seunghyun to her

Jeje shakes her head, “no, è ospite da casa. (no, he is a guest from home)” she answers

Stephano nods his head, “sì, capisco mia signora. il tuo ordine per favore? (yes, yes my lady. Your order please?)” he asks Jeje

“three course meal please Stephano, salmon would be very nice, mushroom risotto, and classic margarita pizza.” Jeje said in English, so that Seunghyun could add another menu if he wants, “do you want some drink Seunghyun shi?” he asks, turning to Seunghyun

“champagne is good for me.” He answers

“that’s all and a bottle champagne please Stephano, the usual.” Jeje said,

“any dessert mia signora?” Stephano asks

“gelato will be perfect.” She said, handing him the menu book, as Seunghyun follows her.

He watches the staff excuses himself from their table to submit their order, as he turns his attention back to the woman in front of him.

“forgive me for coming late.” She begins, addressing him in serious manner at this time, yet her tone of voice is comfortable, “I have to submit my final paper to my supervisor and head here immediately.” She said,

He could see her drenched in her own sweat, noting that she probably running to reach the place. Under the heat of summer, yes that would be exhausting. He releases a breath of relieve, releasing the tense that he has all over his body for expecting the meeting with her. Her friendly tone of voice, and her relax gesture to him, eases him.

He shakes his head softly. he had forgotten the fact that she had waste his precious thirty minutes. “not a problem, I just got here too.” He lied to her with a soft smile, to his own surprise.

“really? Oh, thank god.” She sighs in relieve

“you seem familiar with this place Jeje sshi. Did you come here often?” he asks, couldn’t help his growing curiosity

She nods in response, “my favorite place to stop by when I am in town.” She said, “been here before this place is famous.”

“I see, a lot of people come to dine here. I see the crowded line.”

“oh yes, especially during weekend. There is a concert in Arena di Verona tonight, one of the favorites of the people here. I am not surprise that they have crowd the places around here.” She explains, “I have booked the tickets for tonight’s concert.” She informs excitedly

He rises his eyebrows in surprise. Arena di Verona is known as the place to host performaces, from orchestra, to theater and musical concerts. “really? It’s a classic?” he asks, guessing

“a bit of classic and modern, I think you will like it.” Jeje said, “well if you don’t, we can just walk out at any time.” She adds with chuckles

His lips curves automatically, reacting to her answer. “I am looking forward for it.” He said

“when did you get here Seunghyun shi?” she asks, casually while drinking water in her glass

“the day before yesterday.”

“must have had hard time adjusting.”

He shrugs, “I can get use to it. I travelled to Milan, Venice and Tuscany before, but never make a stop to Verona.” He said, “I am still trying to get used to the city.”

“forgive me for changing the meeting place abruptly.” She apologizes to him, “I thought we could meet comfortably in London, but I don’t think I can manage the tight schedule if I were coming back to London early in the day.”

He remembers she had noticed him that she couldn’t meet him in London, once he was about to depart the plane to London from Seoul. He couldn’t cancel his flight, so instead he flew from London to Verona once he landed in Heathrow.  

“I had a good experience.” he answers with smile, didn’t want to admit that he was irritated by the continues changing of schedule.

“oh no please. I know I have messed up with your time schedule, long flight isn’t exactly easy to deal with.” She said

He shakes his head, “no seriously, I had fun. I have never done that before.” He said, “but why you cancel our meeting in London?” he finally asks, for he had booked hotel and accommodation in London prior to his arrival.

“I was in Paris the night before, which would be early before your flight from Seoul. I am supposed to take train back to London that day, but my supervisor told me that he intended to meet me in Verona, before he takes his leave for a month until early fall. He told me, if I wanted to meet him before his leave, I better be at his door today at 1pm in the afternoon.” She tells the story

“so instead of taking the train to London, I take train ticket to Verona. Eleven hours later, here I am.” She said

“eleven hours, that’s long journey.” He commented

“yes, very. But plane ticket is too expensive, I rather not take that. And besides, I need to take one stop before arriving in Verona, so train is the best choice.” She said, as he frowns when she makes a comment about pricing.

He finds it a bit strange for her to be mindful with the pricing, as he has never been familiar with that. She did come from a family of wealth, why is she minding about the price of plane ticket and train ticket? He gets interested in her.

“but it is faster, I believe.” He argues, while letting the staff serves his champagne on the table

“it depends, but not all flight to Verona are available for 24 hours.” She said, already grabbing a piece of bread from the basket and munch on it, “flight isn’t much reliable here. People commute with train more often, way safer and less delay.”

He nods his head, understanding the logic. “that makes sense. So, I assume your supervisor resides in Verona?”

“not exactly, he resides in Edinburgh but since early in the spring he is been involved in romantic relationship with a beautiful woman from Verona, he decided to held his third wedding here.” She answers

“really?” his eyebrows rise, taken a back as he did not expect the answer

She nods with smile, “aha, he since then decided that he will reside in Verona as well during his summer break, in which he prefers not to be disturbed at all.” She said, as she put both of her elbows on the table and let out a heavy sigh, “I can’t believe that. I’ve spent hours knocking and waiting in front of his door in Edinburgh for my monthly consultation, only to found out later that he was out of the country.”

He chuckles at that story, “that is too bad. How did you know?”

She finishes chewing her remaining bread before answering him, “his neighbor who was outside came back in the evening, saw me sitting down like a beggar in front of his home and broke the news to me that he isn’t home. They were nice enough to offer me dinner before I turned back to London that night.” She finishes her story as he chuckles at her

“I didn’t know why you still find the motivation to chase him over to Verona.” He wonders, couldn’t understand her dedication, “if I were you, I will just say it and leave.”

She shakes her had as her finger make a back and forth movement, “no, you can’t do that. He might be not the nicest supervisor that I have got for all years during time I spent in college, but his insight has been very great and challenge me lots of times. That is the reason why I seek for him.” She said, “other than that, I need him to approve my final draft so I can’t apply for my PhD thesis exam before the year end. Say, I am ready to be his slave at the moment as long as he gave me his pass.” She adds

He shakes his head in admiration to her, “that is such a dedication.” He said

“a voluntary suicide I should say, he couldn’t care less if I were being robbed or crashed on me journey to meet him.” She said in sarcastic tone which makes him burst into giggles, she smiles in return seeing his reaction as their table slowly filled with food that she had previously ordered.

She finishes her glass of water, before taking the jug to refill her glass while he reaches for his glass of champagne. “tell me about you then? What did you do?”

“I am managing hotel in Seoul, family business. I am sure you know about that.” He said, before drinking his champagne

Jeje shakes her head, “no, I am sorry, I am afraid I don’t know about that.” She said

“really?” he asks her, disbelieve.

“I know nothing about you or what did you do in Seoul.” She repeats herself

He is again caught off his guard. He is expecting her to know about him and his family background. He didn’t find that connected to his sense, why she didn’t know anything about his background?

“your parents never told you anything about me?” he asks, hesitantly, but still finding his pride hurt a bit for unknown reason that she had no knowledge about him.

“I couldn’t remember any of their saying, I am afraid.” She said, “they told me that I have been engaged to you few years ago, and that is the only bit piece of information that I have recall.” She adds, with rather apologetic look on her face.

He clears his throat as he sits straight on his chair, “my family is in hotel business, I believe that both our families know each other very well as I’ve been told that our grandparents were such a great friend to each other. I have been helping with the family business in the last five years ago, until now.” He tells her, determine to get her educated about his background and family

She nods head in response, “I see, is that why they decided to come with engagement?” she asks

“I believe that is the case. As what I am aware that you are the second heir of your family business after your cousin.” He said

“so, you are managing all your family business at the moment in South Korea?” she asks

“yes, well me and my father to be exact.”

“you are the only son?”

“I am the only child.”

“you are the only child, now that makes sense.”

“so, do you.” He points out before drinking the rest of his champagne

She makes a vague nod, “from my father side, yes I would be the only child. But my mother has since remarried and gave birth to several children if I am not wrong.” She said, her voice tone doesn’t express much interest compare to when they were talking about her supervisor

He frowns at her reaction, who seems apathic to her family relations. “yes, as far as I know. Mrs. Han is a mother to three children.”

“you’ve met them?” she asks, seemingly interested

“who?” he asks, confuse

“the children.” She asks

He hesitates at first, “you mean, your half siblings? Yes, I’ve met them couple of times.” He said

She looks at him with great interest, “really? How are they?”

His confusion grows bigger, seeing her reaction. It seems to him that she has not met them nor even nicely informed about her maternal family. “you haven’t met them?”

“no, I don’t see the necessity to meet them yet.” She said immediately

“oh really?” he asks, somehow finding himself in awkward situation, of him telling her about her own maternal family, “there are three of them, two daughters which I assume are twins and a young boy.”

She widened her eyes in delight, at the same time the staff deliver their last menu on their order on top of their table.

“a pair of twins? And both of them are girls?” she asks him with a huge smile

He nods immediately, feeling even more awkward. “yes. They are about 18 years old I believe.” He said

She lets out a happy laugh, “eighteen? Oh, my lord, they must be beautiful!” she claims, “and what about the boy? How old is he?” she continues to ask

 “I think he is around 14 years old. he looks really young to me.”

“oh my god!” she covers with her hand in state of disbelieve, “they must have grown up well. Oh, I can’t believe that I have siblings, I thought I was alone all along.” She claims

His suspicion grows bigger at this moment. he is under assumption that Jeje is not aware of her family in Seoul or he is meeting the wrong person, which seems very much convincing to him.

“Jeje sshi, you have never met them? Or know about them?” he asks

“well, mom told me she gave birth twice, but I never really know who they are and I am not interested to know anything that is happening in Seoul since I moved here.” Jeje answers quickly, “grandfather never really let me associate with my mother in fact. I am not aware of all of these.” She said

A bit of light that help him understand why she has no knowledge of her family seem to come to him. Yet it didn’t make sense to him at anyhow.

“how did you connect to my mother then, if your family is a good friend of my grandfather’s family?” she asks him, while motioning him to enjoy the food on the table.

He looks at the menu of the food on the table, as a white mushroom risotto is served in front of him. He takes his spoon, while watching her begin to eat her risotto in such delight, that makes him copy her. He closes his eyes in delight once the food reaches his mouth and his taste bud awaken by the flavor of the food. He now realizes that he is starving.

“we’ve had dinner several times, both of my family and your family. Your mother has present in some of them, as I also dine with her family separately.” He reveals

She breaks into another disbelieve laugh. her eyes turn wide round displaying clear shock. “are you serious?” she asks, “do you mean, you actually witness my mother and grandpa dine in the same dining table?” she asks with dramatic tone

He nods unsure, but yet he did want her to know that it is correct. “yes.” He said, as she laughs even harder, “is that something good?” he asks, wondering her shock reaction.

“that is a miracle!” she said, dropping her spoon back on the plate. “that is absolutely miracle! They couldn’t stand each other presence, and I have never seen them sit at the same dining table since I was 8 years old, the night when my parents floored the information that they are having a divorce.” She tells him, still with her shocking face yet her tone is delightful

“oh, I didn’t know about that.” He said quietly, clearly didn’t expect to discover such fact while he thought family dinner is something normal, as if everything is working okay.

“well certainly, I believe that everybody has forgotten about what happened 20 years ago except my grandpa.” Jeje said with a tone of joke, as she then turns to Seunghyun with indescribable happy face.

He frowns witnessing her sudden change of expression, as he swallows his risotto reluctantly. “something wrong?”

She smiles even wider, as her eyes glistened with a light of interest as she leans forward to observes Seunghyun closer. He awkwardly wipes his mouth with the napkin, while his hand reaching for his half-finished glass of champagne.

“well, maybe this arranged marriage isn’t so bad at all.” She commented, as she keeps her observing eyes on him while continue to eat her risotto, as if nothing happened. “how’s the risotto? Good isn’t it?” she asks him casually, before taking another spoon of risotto in

Seunghyun nods his head immediately while putting down his glass of champagne, “it is delicious.” He claims

She chuckles happily, “I am glad you enjoy it.”

He nods his head, as they had a silent moment while he digs his plate to fulfill his hunger. He had forgotten how delicious the food taste, and how his body needs food during his journey to Verona. He had too much expectation in his head and anxiety of what kind of scenarios that he might face when he met her. He had completely forgotten to enjoy a great meal, and is secretly thanking her for creating friendly atmosphere around him so far.

She reaches out to take a slice of pizza before putting the slice on his clean plate after the staff clean their risotto plates. He wipes his lips with the napkin, as he nods to her to thank her.

“thank you.” He said

“enjoy it while its hot, they have the best pizza in the block.” She informs him, before reaching out another slice for herself

“so, you actually don’t mind with the arranged marriage between us Jeje sshi? I was under the impression that you are against the engagement for all these times.” Seunghyun brings the topic while he pours champagne to his empty glass

“you are correct, I against the idea very much.” She said, dropping the pizza on her plate, and grab a napkin to clean her hand

“but you are saying just now, that this arranged marriage wasn’t bad at all. I don’t understand.” He asks, referring to her previous statement

“indeed, when you told me that my mom and grandpa has decided to reunite on the same table, I thought that is a good thing.” She said, “I just don’t see the point why I have to live in such a dictating way of living, while for all these times I have been living my own life without none bothering about it.” She adds

“I heard you’ve been living in the UK since you were a little.”

She nods, confirming “since I was eight years old, right after my parents’ divorce. Grandpa decided to send me abroad to avoid the mass media scandal.” She said, “I haven’t even stepped my feet in South Korea since then.” She adds, finishing her last bite of pizza

“excuse me?” he asks, “you have never for once come back to Korea?” his tone express his disbelieve

“not even once.”

“why?”

“I don’t see the point why I should come back. I have a good life here.” She said while raising her shoulder, “I don’t particularly find living with my family exciting.”

“that explain the reason why I have never known you at all since the first time they told me that I am engaged to Mr. Kwon’s granddaughter.” He said, nodding his head to the new fact he just heard.

Jeje takes her drink, before attending him, “probably. Then, why did you agree with the arrangement Seunghyun sshi?” she asks

Seunghyun shakes his head, “I disagree initially.” He said

“oh yeah?”

“I don’t think an arranged marriage is necessary.” He said, as he finishes his pizza and take his time to sip on his champagne while Jeje looks at him closely, “but years after years in this topic and I don’t see my parents backing away with my continues rejection, I tell myself to give it a try. Meet the girl, get to know her. If you like her, maybe you can figure something out, but maybe she is also displeased as much as I am displeased with the engagement.” He said

Jeje lets out a smirk, as she gets a glimpse on his intention, “so that is why you are here?”

Seunghyun nods, “yes.” He said, “any result that come after a week of my journey, I think that it will determine everything after.”

“true.” She said, “so initially you came here to meet me, in attempt to get to know whether I have the same intention as you?”

“at first yes, when I send you email and requested to meet you, true that was my intention.” He admits, “but as time passes, I realize how such a chicken I am if I come here to seek only something that satisfy me, don’t you think?”

“I don’t follow.” Jeje said, confused

Seunghyun put his hand on the table, as his both arms move as he talks, “picture this Jeje sshi, if I have a method to find a way out of this engagement, don’t you think it is easy on my side, because I am a man, and the only heir? What they expect from me aside from sustaining business is the heir, correct?” he asks, as Jeje nods

“yes?”

Seunghyun smile, “what if I come up with a woman, tell them that I have impregnate her, and tell them that she is my lover?” he asks, “what they can do about it?”

Jeje thinks about the scenario, “well if my family found out about that, they will call off the engagement.”

“exactly!” Seunghyun said, “and I am sure, with such level of business and network, your family will find out anyhow.”

“probably. But you didn’t do that.”

“true, I didn’t do that.” He said,

“why?”

Seunghyun hesitant to answer, as he looks at Jeje who pays her full attention to him at the moment. he knows why he decided to accept the engagement, and he decided to agree on that reason upon acknowledging the fact. But yet, he didn’t want to tell her yet, it is not the time to break it to her.

“because maybe I do really want the sustainability.” He said abruptly, which he regrets it second later when he sees Jeje’s sarcastic laugh

“sustainability? Oh god, I can’t believe that!” she said immediately, as she grabs his glass of champagne and drain the liquor inside it, “so my family is the best choice among other families to gain you sustainability?” she asks, with a sudden fierce tone.

He didn’t give any response to her question, as he gulp down, feeling a slight guilt upon seeing her friendly expression turn cynical. She slams the empty glass of champagne on the table, as she takes the bottle of champagne from the bucket and pour the liquor to her own glass, before draining the liquor in one gulp.

He sits silent watching her, as she now had grabbed a knife and fork and cut on her salmon roughly, making loud friction of her silverware against the porcelain surface.

“tell you what, yes indeed. Sustainability eh? I should have thought as well that you might have another intention. This is after all, business isn’t it?” she asks, while chewing roughly on her salmon.

She stares at him fiercely, pointing her fork at him as he backs away few centimeters from the table. “tell you what sir, I also have interest. After all years I’ve resisting this nonsense engagement, I also want a gain by the end of the day. My mother, will lose custody on me when I get married. I want a life where I will not be attended with any of my mother business as well as my grandpa. Once I get married to you, my mother and my grandpa will completely lose their custody on me, including their rights on any matter to me.” She tells him firmly

As she then puts down her silverware, before taking a deep sigh to calm herself. “you see, this is why I agree on this engagement. Because I can negotiate with you upon anything that I can do with my life, and you will get what you want.” She said

His lips turn dry upon hearing her true intention. A part of him feel a huge disappointment that suddenly emerge within himself. He shouldn’t have said anything about sustainability. He shouldn’t even have not leaning to that side while talking to her.

She pours another round of champagne on her own glass, before continue to eat her remaining salmon on her plate in silent. He stiffly moves his both hands, as he moves to continue eat his meal. The hunger that few minutes ago engulfed him, has completely gone. The delicious crust of pizza that he adored, has now taste like a cold rubber, hard and hurt to chew in his mouth. There is no sound but the sound of silverware rubbing against the hard porcelain filling the table. The conversation only occurs when the staff come to clean up the table and serves the dessert for the two.

He glances at her, who silently scoop her ice cream. Decided that he could no longer bear the cold tension.

“I am sorry if I offend you that much.” He finally breaks the silence, volunteering himself to start truce.

She looks at him while dropping her spoon into the ice cream bowl, as she shakes her head and let out a sigh, “no, its my fault. I should have known that there is no such thing as accepting without interest. I just didn’t think that it would give me such a disappointment.” She said, “I am sorry.” She apologizes

A small smile curves on his lips, as he had left his half-finished bowl of ice cream, which suddenly turn flavorful in his mouth. “so, are we agreeing on this marriage?” he asks her, “that is why I come here, to get to know you, aside of the set up that we’ve been involved to.” He adds

“I guess so.” She said at last, “what happen after the marriage, I think we can figure that out. But for now, I think we agree to meet to get to know each other better.”

He nods his head in appreciation to her, “thank you.” He said, as he grabs the bottle of champagne, “may I?” he offers to pour the liquor to her

She takes her empty glass, as he pours the liquor inside while the remaining liquor, he pours it into his own glass. He lifts his own glass, motioning her to make a toast, as she rises her glass and make a toast with him, before the two emptying their own glass of liquor.

“you choose good champagne.” He let out a comment after draining his glass empty.

She chuckles at his compliment, “I happen to have a very good taste of liquor.” She claims, as she checks on her wrist watch, “there is an hour before the concert start, do you want to take a walk around the arena?” she asks him

He nods his head at her offer, “that would be great.” He said, as he calls on the staff to his side to make payment before pulling out his wallet.

“no, no, I got this.” She said hurriedly, when she sees him taking out his wallet. Her right arm hurriedly reaching for her briefcase bag, as he chuckles.

“I should be paying. this is our first date.” Seunghyun said

“no, Seunghyun sshi. I don’t go by the rule. I was the one suggesting the place.” She said, as she reaches her heavy bag and open it, and manage to pull her wallet when the staff come with the bill.

Seunghyun holds her hand, stopping her from making payment. “you got me the concert ticket, I’ll handle the meal, fair enough?” he asks, in his calm tone

She didn’t seem to agree, as he keep his eye contact with her until she finally gives up. “alright, its on me next time.” She warns him, as he nods

“thank you.” He said, before handing the staff his credit card, and the staff help him with the payment on his table, before handing him back his card.

He slides his wallet back in to his pocket, as he glances at Jeje who try to lift her big briefcase bag. “are you set up?” he asks

She nods, while closing her bag before standing up, “yes yes.” She said, as she lifts her bag while he stands up and walks next to her exiting the restaurant.

She looks at him, who’s figure is taller than her, dressed in his casual jeans and long sleeves black patterned shirt. His sleeves are rolled up few centimeters above his wrist, to give view of his classic black leather wrist watch. His figure is tall and masculine, she realizes her height could only reach his shoulder while she is wearing her ten centimeters high heels that gives her feet indescribable pain during her long run from the bus stop, to the restaurant.

“it is really crowded around here.” He claims as they make their way out from the restaurant, and pass through crowded alley to the main road

“this is the best place you can possibly reach around here.” She responses, “convenient as well, very strategic, close to museums and di Verona, where we are about to go.” She said, as she fumbles with her bag, “oh , where did I put the ticket?” she mumbles to her own, rummaging in her bag

He stops walking, as he smiles while offering his both arms, “let me carry your bag.” He requested

“its alright Seunghyun shi, I just need to find—oh there we go!” she said, grabbing two tickets from the front pocket of her bag, waving the tickets in front of Seunghyun

“let me carry that for you, that bag looks heavy.” He offers again, more insisting this time. “come on, give it to me. I wont steal anything.” He adds quickly as she burst into laugh

She slowly hands her bag to him, as he wears the bag across his shoulder, before fixing his pose and comfortably wear the bag.

“thank you.” Jeje said

He his head calmly to his right, “not a problem. What are you carrying anyway?” he wonders as they now resume their walk through the alley

“some papers, and necessity. I don’t know, but I think mostly books and some clothes.” She answers, “I haven’t exactly unpacked that since I left France.”

He turns to her immediately, “you mean you haven’t gotten any rest since you travelled from France to the city?” he asks in concern

“I took my rest on the train, and trust me. Eleven hours train journey is such boring journey.” She said quickly, after hearing his tone of concern

“I can imagine.” He said, “did you come to the city often? You seem know the place well.” He asks wondering

She nods, “yes, I come for music usually. I’ve got updated schedule of performances in arena di Verona on my phone, is I want to take a break somewhere outside of UK, I’ll be visiting this place.”

He rises both his eyebrows once he heard her mentioning about phone. “you actually own phone?” he asks, surprise

“of course, I am. who doesn’t?” she looks at him as if he is asking such a dumb question

“you contacted me through email, even though my parents had assured me that you are informed about my phone number. So, I thought you don’t use phone.” He said, demanding clearance on her orthodox way of communicating with him.

“I was not ready to let you discover my phone number. in case you will bombarded with messages.” She said,

“that’s it?” he couldn’t accept her justification

She rises her hand at him, “ah, I remember I was in Libya at that time when you first contacted me. The political tension was high and I was advised not to communicate with my phone, in case it has been hacked. So, I use email on the embassy office, to contact you.” She delivers her reasoning, complete with a small smile on her face

He rises his shoulder, while shaking his head, “I couldn’t exactly argue with that, could I?” he asks

“that’s a solid argument.” She said, clearly feeling satisfied about her answer

He couldn’t help but smile upon seeing her smile. He takes a deep breath, starring at the passer by on the road, and notice the different atmosphere, “it’s rather calm in here, unlike Milan. The city is beautiful, but I can’t stand the crowd.”

“oh I agree on that. This is more tone down I think, and they have great pubs around here. I’ll show you some later if we come for another visit.” She promises him

“why you don’t show me now? I mean we can go after the concert.”

“oh you are thinking of staying?”

“what else I should be thinking?” he asks, as she burst into laugh witnessing his response

“well, I don’t know if you plan to stay. Anyway, where did you stay?” she asks, finally

“a hotel, near here. The classic, something with Romeo in its name.” he said, couldn’t remember the name well

“the Romeo design hotel, oh interesting choice.” She commented, with a sly smile “I don’t know you are actually interested in Shakespeare. I can take you for a quick tour to Juliette house, its not far from here.” She offers

He shakes his head, “what? No!” he said, refusing as she giggles “I chose the hotel because that is the first hotel that popped out on suggestion, I just randomly make a reservation since I don’t have time at all to choose.” He defends himself

“I got it, don’t worry.” She said assuring him with a wink

“oh no, its not like that!” he said, still insisting while she continue to chuckles

“I hate to break it to you, but I have to go back to London by tomorrow.” She tells him,

“oh really?”

“aha.”

He gives her a shrug as they make turn to the main road, greeted by the magnificent structure of arena di Verona at the other side of the road. “well I can come with you.” He said, as his eyes directed to the amphitheater immediately, he takes a look at the same structure that he passed on his way here before, realizing that it has turn much more beautiful.

“this is beautiful.” He said, as a calm smile spread across his lips

Jeje stares at him, as then to the structure, and then back again to him. “you will come with me?”

He spends few more seconds admiring the historical structure, before looking to his right, at Jeje who stand next to him, giving her a nod. “yes, I will come with you. We can get back to my hotel after the concert, get you some rest and shower, and we can leave to London immediately.”

She again chuckles, finding him voluntarily following her messed up plan. “well if you say so.” She said, as they now walk crossing the street, heading to the entrance of the arena. “I am taking train to Paris and then from Paris, I will continue to take train to London.”

“oh, wouldn’t that be faster with plane?” Seunghyun asks

“no, I need to make a stop in Munich or Milan. You haven’t taken the train, have you?” she asks him

He shakes his head, “no, I haven’t.”

She smirks, “well this is going to be your first experience then.” She said, while checking on the ticket in her hand, as he watches the area around him, securing her automatically from the passing vehicles and people

“we should be at the platinum seat.” She mumbles to her own, as they walk along the stone road to the arena

“platinum?” he asks, frowning due to her choice of tickets “I thought you like to save the money.” He said

She chuckles in response, “for anything else, if I can save the money, I will. But for concert, unfortunately I don’t.” she said

He too chuckles at her, before realizing something important that he hasn’t know yet. “Jeje sshi, is there any chance you will tell me what kind of concert that we are about to attend?” he asks Jeje

“oh, forgive me, one second please.” She said, as the two make their way to the entrance of the area, as she gives the tickets to the staff and let them check their belongings, before clearing the entrance to the arena for the two.

Jeje stands at the border of the area, while waiting for Seunghyun who takes a bit more time on security clearance since he is carrying her bag. He walks approaching her, as she directs him to the platinum seating area, exactly at the front row at front of the stage.

“tonight’s concert is a concert of 2cellos.” Jeje begins, telling Seunghyun as they walk head to their seat at the center of the arena, “they are a duo of very talented cellist from Slovenia and Croatia who had beautifully incorporated classical music and modern contemporary music. Their music is amazing, I have never seen AC/DC songs played on a cello before, but they did it.” She exclaims with a bright tone of voice

“they play AC/DC songs with cello?” he asks, as he walks following her near

“yes, thunderstruck, oh beautiful!” she said, absolutely mesmerized as he smiles, observing her reaction, “they played smooth criminal as well, and between their performances they play both classical and modern. This year is their first tour in Europe, and I am expecting a lot after they released their album earlier this year.”

“I see you are such a fan.” He points out with grin

“oh, I am an admirer Seunghyun shi.” She said, turning her head back at him with a smirk as the two then break into laughter

“what is the number of our seat?” Seunghyun asks, as he looks around him, to the chairs set on the platinum section

“first row, number 7 and 8.” She answers,

He looks around, as he rises his hand when he spotted the first-row seat. “go straight ahead Jeje shi, right over the corner you will find seat number 8.” He directs her who walk ahead of him

“this row?” she asks, pointing to the row on her left

“yes.”

She makes her way to seat number eight, while he following her close behind. The arena has slowly packed up with concert attendee, once he takes seat on seat number seven. He takes a sigh, as he looks up to the grand structure. it is his first time to be inside the amphitheater, the history and the grant of the structure had stunned him deep to his calm zone. He feels small, yet he feels calm once he closes his eyes and take a deep breath.

Breeze of summer wind blow the top of his hair, the sounds of people talking and conversing can be heard loud in his ears, yet it didn’t bother him. Usually he will get irritated with too much noise, maybe it is because he is in a good place, with a good mind that he finds calm. Slowly he opens his eyes, smile as soon as he sees the blue sky on his horizon, he finds his peace. He turns to his left side, to meet her eyes observing him closely with calm smile on her face. He finds his heart skip a beat.

“beautiful isn’t it?” she asks softly

He nods unknowingly, couldn’t find another statement to express his agreement with her. “very beautiful.” He said

Her hair line, her long wavy hair that now has been put in a messy bun. Her jawline, and plump lips, her bright hazel eyes, and her slightly tanned skin, he finds himself drawn into her.

“very beautiful indeed.” He let out a soft voice, as her smile turns wider while his eyes fixed on her.

“I remember the first time I came to this place, I was stuck and stunned. I couldn’t describe the feeling that I feel at that moment, and since then, I have always wanted to come back.” She tells him

“I think I can relate to that.” he said, he put Jeje’s bag on his laps, as he shifts his seat to his left, so he could talk to her, “Jeje sshi, mind if I ask, how old are you?” he asks

Jeje chuckles, “Korean people do take age matter, don’t they?” she said,

Seunghyun rises his shoulder with smile, “it has nothing to do with being Korean, it’s just out of my curiosity.” He said

“I am going to be 28 this winter.” She said

“twenty-eight? Which month?” he asks

“December 31.”

“New Year’s Eve.”

“how about you?”

“32 years old this November 4th.”

“that is such a young age for a chief.”

“I’ve met someone younger, someone in tech I believe.”

“young people have more gut they said.”

“partly agree, don’t forget that they are also reckless.” He said, making her laugh instantly, “and arrogant, these people have confused the word confidence and arrogant, thinking they have the same meaning.”

She scans him from head to toe, “well, I find you a bit arrogant at the beginning.”

He nods at her, “congratulation, you are the one thousand people saying the exact same thing to me.” He said

Jeje again burst into laugh at his joke, “oh don’t you think I should get a trophy or something?”

Seunghyun’s face turns serious, as he taps his chin with his finger, his forehead frowns as if he is thinking something hard, “let’s see, if I can find the stage and a dais for you to give your acceptance speech.” He said, making her laugh again as he too laughs at his own joke

“give me time to prepare my speech.” she said, extending the joke. “do you even like music Seunghyun sshi?” she asks him, shifting her body to her right side, to get a better angle while talking to him

He nods, “oh yes, I find music entertaining.”

“what kind of music?” she asks

“I enjoy hip-hop very much, I listen to classic as well and classical rock. That is why I am interested earlier when you mention about 2cellos and their way of performing classic music, and AC/DC.” He tells her

“that is interesting. Which classic rock do you listen?”

“Pink Floyd, their music is great and their addition in philosophic lyric is amazing. I can’t describe how much I like them.”

She observes his cheek rises high, as his smiles turns wider when he tells her about his favorite band. She finds her self starring at him, interested as his facial expression is visibly clear on her eyes.

“oh, they are massive in England, such a legend.”

“oh, they are! Some people think they are mad, but great music only created by mad people, don’t you think.”

“totally spot on!” she said agreeing with him

“what about you, which music you are listening?” he asks, couldn’t fight his intriguing curiosity of the woman in front of him

“well, I enjoy classic as a form of art, though I don’t quiet understand it very much. I would rather say I am a novice.” She begins, “but I find my remedy on heavy metal and metalcore or commonly known as hardcore metal, they are absolutely my peace.” She adds with expression of delight on her face

He rises his eyebrows at her unique musical preference, “hardcore metal, heavy metal? That’s unusual. Mention me your favorite.”

“lots. Slayer, Dirty Rotten Imbeciles, Suicidal Tendencies, Lamb of God, Black Sabbath, Led Zappelin, oh mention all of them, I like all.” She counts with her fingers, as she mentions the band names one by one, “one of the reasons why I love living in England, is that they host absolutely crazy heavy metal music festival. Second best is France and followed by Germany.”

“you are going, really into the concert?”

“yes! Me and several of my friends will usually bust our off during the concert, camping nearby and enjoy the festival for two straight days. Oh, that is such a life that I would not have in South Korea.” She said

“hey, the South Korea that you have in your head is the version of South Korea when you are eight years old, the motherland has beautified itself and add some festive here and there. It’s been upgraded.” He expresses his disagreement with her, as she chuckles

“no offence, but I think the genre is too controversial in the country.”

He shakes his head, “come back with me, and I will show you how it is now.” He said, “there is no such thing as controversial genre of music in our motherland. In fact, it had been developed really well.”

“oh, I’ve heard about K-pop, my friends keep questioning me whether I know some of the celebrities. Just because I am a Korean.” She said, “I have no idea how they suddenly become aware of my heritage. They barged me in my apartment, and forced me to teach them Korean.”

Seunghyun laugh at that, “you teach them?”

“I was not a good ambassador for Korean language at that time, I can speak it but I couldn’t teach it.” She said, as he chuckles. “a friend of mine ended up staying in Korea for about one year, doing his research on the culture. He is been telling me since that I should come and see it by myself.”

“I told you.” He said, “come and have a look by yourself.”

“what do you think of K-pop anyway?” she asks with such curiosity that her eyebrows connected to make a straight line on her forehead, “I have never heard the opinion from native Korean.”

He laughs instantly at her, “you are Korean Jeje sshi.”

“technically I am British and Korean. I applied for naturalization on my eighteen birthdays, and has been granted.” She defends her self

“oh, I didn’t know that.” He said

“of course, no one knows. I don’t think even my grandpa knows. Or if he knew, it doesn’t matter for me.” She said

“but you are still Korean.”

“oh yes, a wash off Korean, that it left nothing in me but my physical appearance.” She said

He giggles, “so, Jeje sshi—we”

She rises her right arm, closing her eyes, impatiently. “that’s it, enough with formality. Call me Jeje just, or Jey. If we were in Korea, I do not mind but I haven’t gotten use to such hierarchy for a long time.” She said cutting him off

“alright, Jeje then.” Seunghyun said

“Seunghyun.” She said, grinning as if teasing with his patient

He holds his laugh, staring at her with his eyes, motioning her about the name addressing since it is such a big issue in his life. But he is swayed by the temptation to drop the formality and call her by her nickname. It makes him feel as if he is gaining more meters of getting close to her, while in fact they are not even half centimeters apart. He looks at her teasing smile, and he bright eyes, her both eyebrows that are now wiggling, adding more tease to him. He wants her to address him properly, he had such a desire to hear her calling him with that name. but again, he finds his own self fighting, as one side of him urge him to understand the situation that she isn’t used to lived the way he lives. Maybe just for now, he can give in. when they reach Seoul later, he is sure that she will be calling him the way he wants her to call him.

“alright, fine. Seunghyun it is.” He said, as she breaks into a delightful cheer, he shakes his head in wonder as well, not knowing that tittle addressing can give him such a thought.

“there we go, Seunghyun.” She said, calling his name freely, completely understand that she is way younger than him, “what do you think of K-pop?” she asks

“well, I don’t dislike the music, but I just don’t find the label is comfortable for me.” He answers,

“the label of K-pop?”

“yes. First, there weren’t just pop music within K-pop although at the early development it is mostly consist of pop, but there has been also hip hop and other music genre that is incorporated within the music of the artist, its just not recognize yet until later years.” He elaborates, feeling comfortable letting her get a glimpse of what is in his mind, “for me that is an over generalization, because you just see the whole surface. I personally prefer detailed approach, which gives you better understanding upon certain matter.”

“for example?”

“for example, fans abroad have been associated everything about Korea is K-pop. The culture, the way people live, even to the law system and governing method, while it is not. For novice people who are on the stage of getting to know the country, it is such a genius approach to learn about a country from its musical association, just like how we first know about America through its film industry and entertainment industry. But, people need to drop that first label that they understand at the beginning, because when you dig in deeper, the country itself America or South Korea, is a whole new business, new side that is completely different than K-pop, while K-pop is only a tiny part of the whole South Korea.” He explains his insight seriously, as frown begin to form on his forehead

She nods her head at him, clearly showing her interest as she leans her body forward to him. “I have never heard about that. That is such interesting point of view.” She said, “what about the second reason?”

Seunghyun fixes his seat to be more comfortable on his chair. “second, is the label of K-pop. I dislike the label, as much as I dislike J-pop. It is music, entertainment, we don’t label American music with A-pop, or white music. Its just a music, or Japanese animation for example, we don’t call it J-animation or something, but we comply and come with how Japanese call it, Anime and Manga. You see what I mean?” he asks

She nods her head at him enthusiastically, “yes, I understand.”

“that creates segregation in music, then you begin to classify which one is better and which one is worse compare to the other. If they want to put a distinct comparison to each other, they should have just come with the genre, or formulate a name for a new genre. That certainly would be more appreciating for the musician.” He said critically

“I never see from that point of view before, that makes a lot of sense.” She said, with a new realization tone. “that is very interesting. Oh, I will have new materials to bring to my friend for discussion. Does all Korean favors K-pop? I mean, does it really helpful for them in some ways when they are associating with people abroad?” she asks again

“some might be, some might have not. It doesn’t exactly feel comfortable seeing people freaking out when they know that you are Korean, not everybody like the sudden popularity and showering attention. But at the same time, it feels great kind of proud that those people are adoring the country you’ve live in.” he answers

“have you personally encountered the experience? Well I have, and I don’t quiet feel comfortable, yes.” She said

He frowns more at her, suspecting that she hasn’t stop questioning him about the topic, “are you interviewing me?” he asks with a smile

“out of curiosity, although I can make a use of that for academic research.” She said with a smile

He pulls out his hand in front of her, “give me the NDNC, I need to be sure that my statement isn’t fabricated.” He demands playfully as she laugh at his joke, “for safety reason. Come back to Seoul and I’ll help you see it by your own.” He tries to persuade her

She shakes her head softly, “when I am ready, I will come there, its not exactly a place I can call home.” She tells him, “I’ve been living in England for almost the whole of my life.”

“did you stay there alone, in England?”

“yes, I have a caretaker, since leaving 8 years old child unattended is categorized as abuse and neglect by law. My caretaker still lives with me at the moment.”

“in the same house?”

“yes. She is such an angel. You haven’t been to England before? I am sure you have Seunghyun.”

“yes, I have, for business trip mostly, and art. The main reason why I went to Europe.”

“you love art?” she asks

He gives her a proud smile, “yes ma’am.”

“really?”

“I am a geek in art.”

“that is unexpected. Sorry for this judgmental statement I am going to make, it’s just you don’t look geek enough to me.” She said bluntly as he snorts

“I will try to look geek next time you see me.”

“oh, come on.”

“I couldn’t really show you unless you come and see it. I have a whole collection in my home, most of them are result of my collaboration with several artist. You don’t expect me to mention about Picasso or DaVinci, because I will not.” He warns her, sticking his index finger in front of her face

She grins at him, “Picasso and DaVinci are the only two that I know.” She said, as Seunghyun laugh immediately

“really?”

Jeje nods while holding her laugh, “yes, if you mention other than those two, my head is buzzing with bees.” She said making Seunghyun laugh even harder

“oh god, visit me some time when you landed in Seoul, I’ll introduce you to several of my works.” He offers her softly, after laughing at her remark. He wants her to get to know about himself

She finds his invitation alluring, as she nods his head before she even knows it, “I am looking forward for that.”

He nods at her, before turning to look at his own feet, as a realization come to his mind that he had been very close to the girl in front of him, without he even realizes that. Physically, close as their knees are touching to each other’s. he looks at her, as she looks around the area with a calm expression, as his mind wonders, if she feels as close as how he felt to her. Again, his heart skips a beat, as he keeps staring at her movement.

“oh, I need to book train ticket for our journey to Paris tomorrow.” She said, snapping her fingers immediately as she reaches her bag on Seunghyun’s laps, neglecting the fact that Seunghyun has to pull his upper part of his body once her figure is brushing closely to him.

He feels a sudden rush of nervousness on him, as she rummaging on her bag, failing to notice that he has rose his both arms, to give her access to him. He can smell her shampoo, and her fragrance that gives a tingly smell of sweet on his nose.

“oh I hope we still have tickets available for the earliest hour.” She said, pulling her cellphone from her bag, as she closes the bag and pull back from him to her seat.

He regains his posture as he lets out a relieve breath, releasing his tense. he couldn’t understand why he did that, when he usually the one who attempt for an interaction when it comes to women. He looks at her who opens her cell phone, making a booking for their train ride tomorrow.

“you do have phone.” He mumbles

“of course.” She said, chuckling as she remembers he told her about her emailing method, “we will be leaving at 8, if I can get the tickets.” She said, typing on her phone

He leans forward to her, examining her. “how did you do the booking?” he asks curiously

She looks at him, as she shows him her phone. “you can go to the app or the website. Any website will do, but I’ve got the app.” She said, showing him the way to make a train ticket booking, “there, lets check on 7:32, that is the earliest.” She said, “I will need you to type your name in letters.” She adds, giving him her phone

Seunghyun takes her phone as he types his name in alphabet, before giving it back to her, who proceed to finish the booking.

“there we go, we got out tickets.” She said smiling, as he looks at her confuse

“that’s it?” he asks

“yes, what else?” she asks

He shakes his head, “I had hard time try to make booking, I didn’t get used to that at all.” He said

“you did?”

“why do you think I chose to stay in hotel Romeo?” he asks, as she giggles, “my secretary usually make the booking for me, and I couldn’t get even connected to him that time so I do everything alone.” He said

She rises her hand and make a tap on his shoulder, encouragingly. “congratulation for making your first booking.” She said, as he laughs disbelieve at her, “it wasn’t that bad, was it? We can make another use of your phone now, don’t worry, you will learn more next time.” She said

“oh we probably can make another use of your phone, if you decided to let me contact you the common way people contact you.”

“that is a good way of asking my phone number.” She points out, as she gives Seunghyun her phone, “type your number, I will call you.” She said

Seunghyun types his number on her phone, and make a phone call to his own phone. Soon he feels his own phone buzzing in his pocket, as he hangs up the phone call and hand the phone back to Jeje.

“you are welcome.” She tells him, as he smirks

He looks around his surrounding, didn’t realize that people have packed the amphitheater as the sky has turn darker. He had such a good time talking to her, that he had not realize the movement and mobilization of people around him.

She is reading the concert book, at the moment as she leans to him to share reading the book with him. “these are the songs that they are going to play today.” She tells him

He reads on the list of songs, as he nods his head in approval, once his eyes caught the list of song like Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson, With or Without You by U2, Thunderstruck by AC/DC as well as classic songs, such as Vivaldi four seasons, and Benedictus.

“they are not kidding.” He mumbles

She points her finger to the song named With or Without You which was originally played by UK’s band, U2. “that is my favorite. They play the song very good.” She tells him, with a content smile

“really?”

She smiles at him, assuring, “you are going to have fun I am sure.” She said, “I think they are going to start soon, blimey time goes fast.” She said, as she glances at the stage and at the full arena around him, “its fully packed and I don’t even realize that.”

He smirks at her sudden realization, signaling that she too just like him didn’t realize time has gone really fast as the two were speaking to each other. The sky has turn fully dark, as the multiple lights inside the arena begins to light. The stage how now shines bright with the light as people are clapping their hands and whistling to the now entering two young men carrying cello, each in their arm.

The audiences have become excited welcoming the two performers. He claps his hand along with her to welcome the performer on the stage. Smile spreads on her face, as the performer greets the audience and proceed to start the concert immediately by playing a classic song on their cellos.

She is drowning in the melody that they play, so does the whole audience inside the arena who have turn so quiet while watching them performing. He too had immersed himself with the music being perform at the moment. he wasn’t sure, perhaps it is the atmosphere, or perhaps the string friction that creates such an illuminating melody in his ears. His all senses are awakened by the performance, so drowning, so calming yet overwhelming. She is cheering loudly, when the duo starts to play contemporary music, so does every other audiences. They didn’t start easy, the duo. They start with a hit that everybody is jamming, smooth criminal by Michael Jackson. He could not contain his amazement, as he soon joins her moving his body to the music played. He is mesmerized, and she is enjoying the moment of her life, as a remedy to calm her mental peace.

It was until two hours later, after a fantastic performance, after an amazing stage and amazing joy, she stands up from her chair with a content smile. He watches her, as she takes a deep breath while closing her eyes, enjoying the moment while they are waiting for the audience to clear up the arena one by one. He couldn’t agree more, that he had never enjoy such a cello being played that way, it gives him a new passion, a new admiration that he never knew he would have.

She opens her eyes, taking her hand to her illuminating phone that is buzzing in her hand now. A smile curved on her lips upon checking on her phone screen, as she then answers the phone call, bringing the device close to her ears. He watches her closely, wondering what makes her come with such reaction. Her smile turns even wider, more beautiful as her face turns crimson red while talking on her phone.

“yes, I didn’t.” she said, talking on the phone followed by light giggles, “really? I am still waiting for the line to exit. I don’t mean to do that way. Alright, come over.” She said, before hanging up the phone and glances at him, who had been observing her.

“Seunghyun.” She calls his name, “do you mind if we stay a bit? A friend of mine want to come and say hi.” She informs him

He gives a reluctant nod at her, forcing a smile on his lips. “sure, no problem.” He said

“he will come soon.” She said with an excited smile

He nods again, understanding that the friend she was referring to is a man. He shakes his thought immediately, once he feels a slight tud in his own heart. Brushing off the feeling quickly, as he emphasizes to himself many times, that he has no right to feel that way. Not yet.

“Luka!”

He watches her as she rises her arm to a corner, calling for a name. he switches his direction to where she is looking at now, as he sees a familiar face running from the corner to her side. The man runs faster to her side, beamed at her as his smile spreads across his face, as he runs and grab her by her waist, lift her to his arm and spins her several times, as she let out a delight laugh.

He recognizes him from the performance, the man dressed in a grey jeans and black shirt with very distinct European face structure, is one of the cellists performing tonight. She exchanges a tight embrace with him, as he watches them, feeling like an idiot. He stays silent on his place, feeling somehow betrayed. He his dry lips, his hand clutches on Jeje’s leather bag handle, as he watches them conversing.

“oh, My Jeje, I haven’t seen you for a while!” he said, with a wide smile as he lets go of her from his arm, “why you didn’t tell me you are coming? I was surprise seeing you in the audience.”

She smiles at him, while her hand reaches for his messy hair, fixing it as if it is a habit, “I was in the town for an important matter, and I found out while on my journey that you and Stjepan will be having performance at di Verona today.” She answers, “thank you for the song, I really love it.” She said, thanking him, as he grabs her hand that brush on his hair and kiss it.

“with or without you, is the song that I will always play for you Jey.” He said, examining her with such tender gaze, “Stjepan said hi. He is as surprise as I am to see you here.”

She lets out a soft chuckle, “oh he was having a lot of fun back on the stage, wasn’t he?”

He gives her a nod, “he is always mad, always.” He said, “have you been good?”

She nods, “all good Luka, I feel better.” She said

“such a relieve to hear that.” He said, “did you come with a friend?” he asks, as he glances at Seunghyun who is standing nearby

She turns to Seunghyun before turning back to the man in front of her, nodding. “yes, friend of the family from home. Want me to introduce you to him?”

Luka nods, “friend from home, ha? Come, I would love to meet him.”

She grabs his arm, while bringing him closer to Seunghyun who had put on a smile on his face once he sees them approaching him.

“Luka, this is my friend Seunghyun, and Seunghyun this is a very good friend of mine, Luka.” Jeje introduces Luka to Seunghyun as Luka chuckles on the way Jeje addresses him

Luka extends his hand for handshake with Seunghyun, as Seunghyun did the same to him. “Luka Sulic, nice to meet you Seunghyun.” He greets Seunghyun

“Choi Seunghyun, nice to meet you too.” He said to him

“thank you for keeping her company.” Luka said, thanking him as he put his arm around Jeje’s shoulder

Seunghyun gives him a humble smile, “oh no, I should be the one thanking her for taking me to such a great concert, I really enjoy your performance Luka. That was amazing!” he gives him compliment, as Luka smiles humbly back at him

“oh, thank you, thank you. Its an honor for me.” Luka said to Seunghyun, before he turns to Jeje, “are you going to be with Seunghyun tonight?” he asks Jeje who gives him a nod

“yes, I need to get back early in the morning to London.” She tells him

“hey, I will be in London next month, with Stjepan, we will be performing classic.” He tells Jeje excitedly, “I would love if you could come Jey, and you too Seunghyun if you happen to be in town.” He adds, turning to Seunghyun

“I would love to.” Seunghyun said

“that’s perfect. I will contact you about that, and send you some ticket.” He said to Jeje, as he hugs her and plant a kiss on top of her head, “take some rest tonight, and let me know if I could meet you anyway. I will head back to Maribor too early in the morning.” He informs her quickly

“oh, must be nice getting back home.” She said

“come for a visit, you know where to find me. Maribor is not a big city.” Luka said, giving her a wink, “take care.”

“you too Luka.” Jeje bids him good bye

Luka turns to Seunghyun, as he shakes his hand to bid good bye, “pleasure to meet you Seunghyun, and please take care of her for the time being.” He requests him softly

Seunghyun, nods bidding him good bye, “pleasure to meet you too Luka, have a great night.”

“have a great night for you too.” Luka said, as he bids final good bye to Jeje who walks following the line through the exit of the arena

He walks closely to her, as his head has nothing in mind except for her previous interaction with the man. She smiles rather happier after seeing him, as he couldn’t help his wonders that the man must have been special to her.

“do you want to stop by somewhere before turning back to hotel, Seunghyun?” she turns to look at him, as they walk through the empty side walk along the arena

He shakes his head at her, “no, I am all good.”

“alright, lets get back to the hotel then.” She said,

He walks closer to her, “why you don’t tell me that he is your friend?” he asks her, as they make turn at the alley

She gives him a smile, “he is my ex-boyfriend.” She reveals

“oh, really?” he asks, finding his voice slowly disappearing, as it makes sense to him how they are interacting closely before. It didn’t make sense if they were just close friends.

“yes. We broke up six months ago, after 3 years of dating.” She tells him

“three years? That’s quiet sometime.” He mumbles, feeling himself not comfortable bringing the topic about her lover, but yet he is curious about the topic

She smiles as she looks at the road ahead of her, while he observing her closely. “he meant so much for me, for the first time I feel that I am loved, he showed me that. Through bad and worse.” She answers

He walks in silence with her, as he then asks, “why did you break up with him?” he asks, for now, his question is fully source of his curiosity.

“he didn’t deserve to be in a bad situation with me. I have put him through so many unimaginable hardships, and yet he stayed. I told him I could no longer be with him, feeling burdened. We decided to part ways after, with a promise that we will remain to be such a great friend. He indeed, the greatest friend I have ever had.” She tells him softly

He nods softly, couldn’t bring himself to further question her about her love life, knowing it is because due his tiny bit of jealousy that he felt after witnessing how close he is with her.

“do you love him?” he asks

She gives him a calm smile, “I loved him very much.” She said

He didn’t further question her again, as they continue to walk in silent. Through the small alley, passing through the local pubs, under the dark summer sky. He realizes how meeting her today has give her a new perspective of the woman he had been wondering for three years. He has gain access to get to know her, being friendly with her, and spend a night with her, all of them unexpectedly out of his plan. Not his usual habit, in fact very much far from what he usually did. Yet, he enjoys himself, with her.