pink flowers and cheerleading uniforms

Overcoming Overthinking
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yujin truly enjoyed the feeling of having the wind of the night run across her face, while her legs were carrying her through the generic suburban area she lived in. Usually, it allowed for Yujin to empty her mind and calm down from a day of stress and expectation, yet today Yujin had been bothered by the thoughts of a discontent Wonyoung. Yujin had noticed Wonyoung being a little off the whole day - or the part of the day they had spent together. 

 

Yujin had chosen to brush it off in the morning - thinking that Wonyoung might have just woken up on the wrong side of the bed - yet as Wonyoung’s mood also was off in the afternoon as they went home from school together, Yujin could not help but be a tad bit worried. Yujin did, however, decide not to push it and let Wonyoung be. Yet, as the night and Yujin’s daily jog rolled by, worry had planted itself in Yujin’s brain; which had led to Yujin now climb the big birch trees in Wonyoung’s backyard. 

 

“Hey open up!” Yujin half-whispered half-shouted, while knocking on the closed window. 

 

Wonyoung, who diligently was doing her homework for Monday’s lesson, got a mini heart attack, despite knowing exactly who was knocking on her window at 10 PM a Thursday night. With a little too much force she put down her pen and went to let Yujin inside. 

 

“You gotta stop using the window, you know how scared I get when you do that,” Wonyoung complained, helping Yujin in trough the window. 

 

“What do you mean? How else am I suppose to get in here?” 

 

“Uuhhhhh, I don’t know - through the door maybe, like a normal human being,” 

 

“That’s no fun but anything for you - I’ll try the door next time,” Yujin gave Wonyoung her most charming smile, which - as little as she wanted to admit it - made her go soft by her knees. 

 

“Help yourself to the pudding, you know where it is,” Wonyoung took a seat by her desk again while Yujin made herself comfortable on Wonyoung’s bed. 

 

“I’m gonna grab some on my way out,”

 

“Actually I came here cause-,” 

 

“Hey, look at me,” Yujin almost whined as Wonyoung had turned her attention back to her homework. 

 

“I can multitask; speak, I’m listening,”

 

“Wonyoungieeee!” Yujin whined in an attempt to get Wonyoung’s attention, yet to no luck as Wonyoung merely hummed in response. 

 

“Hey, Wonyoungie I know something’s bothering you. Mind telling me what it is? ‘Cause I know it’s not period cramps; our cycles are almost perfectly synchronized. Is it something I have done?” Yujin decided to get off of the bed and go to Wonyoung, as Wonyoung did not seem to want to come to her at the moment. Wonyoung did not answer, contemplating with herself whether to even tell Yujin what had been bothering her - as yes, Yujin had been right in her feeling about Wonyoung’s mood being off the whole day. 

 

“If it’s something I have done I’m-” Yujin was not allowed to finish her sentence as Wonyoung cut in.

 

“No, it’s not because of you - okay wait, maybe it’s a little because of you but it’s not your fault. Don’t get that idea,” Wonyoung panicked a little. The last thing Wonyoung wanted was for Yujin to believe it was Yujin’s fault that she had been off. Wonyoung turned around in her chair and was instantly greeted with Yujin’s soft eyes.

 

“You see, I spoke with Dohyon here yesterday,” Wonyoung paused, pondering over how she should continue, allowing for Yujin to cut in. 

 

“Yeah, I sure hope you speak with your twin brother on a daily basis,” Yujin said, which earned her a slap to her stomach 

 

“He vented out about how awkward it sometimes was between him and Mao-”

 

“Hirokawa Mao from the dance club? I didn’t think that she would be Dohyon’s type of person,” 

 

“What’s that suppose to mean?” 

 

“Nothing, it’s just she-”

 

“Wait, stop. Just listen to my story and then we can return to the Dohyon thing after. So he told me that he envied the two of us and said that we haven’t changed at all since we started dating and that he wished that he could just skip the awkwardness and how much better it’s dating your best friend. To which I just listened and nodded, but then I started thinking - you know, the typical overthinking mode I sometimes go into - and I thought about how we really haven’t changed at all since we started dating, well except for the occasional kissing but else nothing has changed, right? And the more I thought about it the more frustrated I became and then I kinda started to be mad at you - I know that isn’t fair and you really have done nothing wrong - and maybe I’ve just watched too many romance movies or maybe-” Yujin stopped Wonyoung, putting her hand on Wonyoung’s forehead as how Yujin would usually do when Wonyoung went into her ramble-mode. 

 

“Breathe,” was all Yujin said. Wonyoung inhaled.

 

“1, 2, 3 and 4,” Yujin counted and Wonyoung exhaled. 

 

“Good,” Yujin smiled; Yujin did not mind Wonyoung in her ramble-mode - frankly she found it rather cute - but she knew Wonyoung hated when it happened and had promised Wonyoung to calm her down whenever it happened. 

 

“Thanks,” 

 

“No problem. But to draw a conclusion to your ramble: You want me to be more romantic with you,” Yujin partially stated partially questioned. Her face showing acceptance and a tiny bit confusion but mostly acceptance. 

 

“Not just you, also me or I don’t know,” Wonyoung said, still a little stuck in her ramble-mode. 

 

“It’s okay I hear what you’re saying and I’m willing to do what you want me to. So do you have anything specific in mind?” Yujin assured Wonyoung as she could tell that Wonyoung still had doubts in herself.

 

“Not anything specific,” Wonyoung paused, letting herself think. She did not know what she wanted which was also the reason why she did not want to tell Yujin in the first place. 

 

“But I know you like flowers? And poems? And cheesy romance movies, so I’ll just use that as inspiration?” Yujin pointed to Wonyoung’s bookcase which was mostly filled with different biographies of famous people, yet also with a few poem collections and DVDs of what Yujin considered boring romance movies. 

 

“I guess, but what about you? Anything you’d like me to do?” Wonyoung turned the focus to Yujin as she still did not know what she was searching for. 

 

“I don’t know,” Yujin paused as her thoughts went to the R-rated part of her mind; a little embarrassed by her own thoughts she quickly made up an answer. 

 

“I mean I would be nice if you came to cheer for me at a match or at practice,” Yujin barely let the silence make its appearance as she paused yet continued almost right after. 

 

“But I know you find basketball boring plus you’re busy with the debate club and student council, so it’s okay. As long as cheer for me in your thoughts when I play that’s fine,” Yujin ruffled Wonyoung’s hair. Wonyoung simply nodded her mind somewhere else. 

 

“Do you like our school’s cheerleading uniform?” Wonyoung asked, letting her eyes meet Yujin. Taken aback by the slightly random question, Yujin stuttered - something Yujin rarely does. 

 

“I- uhm, I guess I do. Why you ask?” Yujin almost questioned herself. She had really never thought too much about the looks of the cheerleaders’ uniform. Sure the cheerleading club would always be present at the basketball club’s games but Yujin did not want to be distracted when playing, so she never really had the chance to form a clear opinion about their uniforms. Furthermore, the cheerleading club never actually trained in their uniforms.

 

“No reason,” Wonyoung quickly answered, yet Yujin could tell that there, in fact, was a reason behind Wonyoung’s question, however, Yujin chose to leave it be. Enough questioning for one night. 

 

“If you say so. Anyways, I’ll get going,” Yujin removed her hand from Wonyoung’s head. 

 

“Don’t wanna stay the night?” Wonyoung’s gaze followed Yujin as Yujin made her way to the door of her bedroom. 

 

“Want to, yes. Can’t however, I have morning practice tomorrow and don’t wanna wake you up that ty early and also you know how bad I am with getting up in the morning,” Yujin explained, already halfway out the doorway. 

 

“Considerate as always,” 

 

“Of course - anyhow, see you tomorrow?” 

 

“Yes, see you - love you,” 

 

“Yeah, love you too,” Yujin said from then staircase and before leaving she went to the kitchen to grab some pudding. 

 

***

 

The two of them went into next week with their conversation about the ‘lack of romance’ - as Yujin would put it - in their back of their heads. 

 

Wonyoung had thought seriously about what Yujin had said about her basketball practice and games. Wonyoung did not enjoy basketball, in fact, she found it immensely boring - especially since she did not know the rules. However, over the weekend, Wonyoung had tried - emphasize tried - to learn the rules of basketball. Wonyoung knew that Yujin had said that Wonyoung did not need to come and physically watch her play, but Wonyoung also knew how Yujin tended to put Wonyoung before herself. So Wonyoung had thought of a plan, which included speaking to the cheerleading club and swallowing a bit of pride. 

 

As Wednesday came, Wonyoung had her plan ready in the duffle bag she had taken from Dohyon. 

 

Please log in to read the full chapter