Just, Please

Perspectives

 

It was not easy to get the position as The Main Photographer for a high class fashion magazine in Korea. Park Sooyoung was the few that could hold that position before she was thirty. It was a feat that was previously unheard of, and she could say that she achieved it with blood, sweat and tears. 

The discrimination was blatant and merciless. She had experienced her pictures being torn off and thrown at her face by her previous bosses. She could say more than twenty names of famous photographers tried to molest her. She had survived every single one, thanks to her taekwondo skills. It didn’t make any of those experiences less traumatizing. 

The most horrible one though, was when a hyped Director of Photography at that time, told her that she was tasteless, that she had no knack of photography, and basically she should just chose to use “that face and body” for better use, because she had no future of in this world of art in pictures. 

She drowned in sadness for weeks and weeks after that insult, though she kept working. Her pictures were her oxygen, and her camera was her lungs. She would’ve died if she stopped. 

The most amazing triumph in her life came surprisingly three months later, when she won The Annual Modelling Photography Contest, defeating that exact Director of Photography who came as the runner up. 

The picture was a part of a Harper’s Bazaar photoshoot, used with the magazine’s permission. 

The model was the most sought after supermodel of the year, Yook Sung Jae. The title was Silent Gloom. 

She did the photoshoot only two weeks after that insult, which was when she was at her lowest point. He was promoting Serinne’s suit, and they took the pictures right in the middle of Gangnam, at night. People were walking around Sungjae, laughing and smiling, while the model stood apart from everyone else, in the middle of the road, looking as if he just came home from an evening party, feeling utterly heartbroken. 

His two first buttons were opened and his butterfly necktie was in his hand. The people around him, looking happy and excited were in colours, while Sungjae was in monochrome. 

The picture captured the essence of feeling lost in a crowd really well. The bright feeling of the people on one evening at Seoul’s most hyped up area, contrasting with the broken look of Sungjae. Sooyoung forgot what she said to Sungjae before she took the pictures. She believed she explained once more the concept that she wanted. That he should mirror heartbreak in the middle of merriment. 

She only remembered that five seconds after he took his position in the middle of the busy road, and her 50 extras started walking, talking and laughing, Sungjae’s eyes focused on her camera, wet with tears. 

He looked as broken as Sooyoung needed her to be, and she had captured the moment non-stop. 

When Sooyoung won the award, Sungjae sent her a bottle of champagne and a bouquet of flowers, with a card saying, “Congratulations, Miss Park, you deserve it.”

Sooyoung was surprised by the present. She met Sungjae around 3 to 4 times last year. The photoshoot’s crew always hung out for a meal after work’s done, and the chat from time to time, but Sooyoung never thought they were close enough to send each other flowers. 

Oh, well. Maybe he’s just being nice. 

******************************************************

No, Yook Sungjae was not just being nice. 

He had a crush on this particularly talented female photographer for around a year already. 

A female photographer was an alien in the industry. Even before he met her, he had already thought that she must have sacrificed a lot to be where she was. 

Rumours spread really fast in their world, and he heard that Photographer Park faced lots of discriminations from male photographers. 

When they first worked together, he was amazed by how good she was. She really knew what she wanted from each picture. She knew how to create the idea in her mind to a whole new world captured on pictures. 

Her instructions were clear and easily applicable, and Sungjae found it easy to translate into movements and expressions. 

“The pictures came out really well” Sooyoung praised, the first time they worked together.”It’s really close like what I imagined in my head.”

“Really close? But not exactly the same?” he asked, during their group dinner. He was sitting beside her and she had smiled at him, as if he was a child telling her about his imagination. 

“Imaginations and the reality will never be exactly the same, Yook Sung Jae-ssi.”

“Is it better?” he had dared to ask.

She looked surprised by his audacity, but she had shaken her head. 

“No, sorry, Yook Sungjae-ssi. But it’s really as good as my imagination.”

She had smiled again, and turned the other way to talk with her co-workers. He couldn’t look away, though. He realized at that very moment, he wished he were able to see what she was imagining. He wished he knew her more.

He wished he were the only one she’d see through those beautiful eyes. 

Photographer park had her “uniform”.

Long sleeves shirt with jeans. 

Her hair was forever tied in a pony tail. And from what Sungjae could see, she always wore a really thin layer or bb cream and lip balm. 

And yet, she’d easily be a supermodel herself. She’s exceptionally beautiful. The kind that loved to merge to the background, but couldn’t, because she’d never be unnoticeable, no matter how natural she appeared to be. 

Sungjae had tried to maintain communication through texts, but everytime he tried, it always fell apart because she replied his texts after so long, and so briefly.

Thanks to winning the prestigious competition, Harper’s Bazaar Korea had hired Sooyoung to be their main photographer, with a professional crew under her own supervision. 

It drove Sungjae crazy, because it meant she would meet more A-listers. Just this month alone, she’d work with Super M, Got7, BTS and SF9. All those after work meals, all those meetings discussing concepts and all those directing.....what if she fell for one of those good-looking guys?

When his manager, Seo Eunkwang, heard him sighing for the umpteenth time, he finally had enough. “Yah, what is your problem???”

They were really close, since they were friends first before they worked together. 

“It’s Photographer Park” Sungjae replied in a lifeless voice. “She never replied properly to my texts and she said nothing of my bouquet and champagne that I sent her the other day. And she’s working with Super M today.”

“So?”

“What do you mean “So?”??? What if one of those stars snagged her?”

Eunkwang put his hands on his waist, took a deep breath, and began his rant, “Yah, if you like her that much, then you need to seriously make an effort!”

“I already tried, Hyung!”

“Do you think just texting a girl several times and sending her flowers once count as really trying? If you’re going to say yes, it means you’re horribly dumb!”

“I—“

Eunkwang waved a hand in front of Sungjae, cutting his reply, “You’re too used to girls throwing themselves at you. You don’t know how to really get a girl’s attention, because their eyes are always at you.”

“Except Park Sooyoung. She forgets me when we’re not working together.”

“Then you need to make your presence known. You need to be in her life. If you’re not a part of it, make yourself be a part of it.”

“.............how?”

“Pick her up and drive her to work! Buy her dinner! Appear randomly and give her presents!”

“Sooyoung has her own car. Her instagram feed is full of one portion meals. She has no problem dining solo. And I’ve never seen her worn any jewelleries or branded clothes! What can I do for her???”

“Trust me,” Eunkwang added in a patient tone, “Every girl I know loves attention. Not all girls need expensive gifts. Maybe Photographer Park is the type that prefers a companion, a listening ear. A shoulder to cry on. And can you please not call her Sooyoung? She’s Photographer Park, ok. You’re a nobody to her.”

“She’s Sooyoung in my head.”

“Don’t slip and call her that when you guys meet.”

“I can’t even meet her, she doesn’t really respond to my texts.”

“If you really like her, just try to keep offering your company. Look, if I text her assistant and get her schedules, will you really make an effort?”

Sungjae nodded, a bit too excitedly for Eunkwang’s liking. 

It’s his turn to square, but then Eunkwang began to text Sooyoung’s assistant. 

*****************************************************

Sooyoung just finished her work that day, and was running along Harper Bazaar’s corridor to reach her office. 

Yook Sungjae was already inside, with two cups of coffee in front of him. 

“I’m sorry I made you wait Yook Sungjae-ssi. I know you’re really busy. The magazine hasn’t notified me for the upcoming project, but you’re welcome to inform me everything you know about it.”

Sungjae smiled at her, and Sooyoung sat down in front of him, breathless after all the running. 

“You didn’t have to run, Photographer Park.”

“I’m fifteen minutes late to the meeting” Sooyoung responded, still while gulping some air. “I’m so sorry for wasting your time.”

“It’s alright. I’m willing to wait.”

“I won’t waste more of your time” Sooyoung hurried, opening an empty page of her notebook. “First, when is the schedule? For what brand is this, and have they told you the concept they wanted?”

Her pen was ready on top of her notebook, and she fully expected some guidance of their next photoshoot, but Yook Sungjae said nothing. He just sat there silently, looking at her, with an expression she couldn’t really understand. 

“Yook Sungjae-ssi? I’m ready to hear the concept?”

“.............I’m not here for work.”

“No? Oh. Do you want the pictures from our latest photoshoot for your instagram? I’ll email it to you.”

It really was something common. Models and actors did ask her for their pictures a lot, they’d want it in their social media.

Sungjae then chuckled. “No, not that as well.”

“........then why are you here?”

“I’m here to......listen about your day. How’s your day, Photographer Park?”

Sooyoung’s mind became completely blank. Her expression turned blank as well. 

“Why on earth would you need to ask me that?”

“Because I want to know.”

Her eyebrows rose. Those intense eyes bothered her, as if she was the only one who knew nothing of something important.

“...........are you feeling alright, Yook Sungjae-ssi?”

“I feel better, thank you, since I’ve finally met you again.”

Now, it’s getting really confusing. 

“What’s going on, Yook Sungjae-ssi. What is this?”

“I’ve told you, I want to know how your day went. You haven’t answered that.”

It’s her turn to stare at him.

“This can’t be.......that, right?”

“If “that” means me begging to spend some time with you, then yes, it is right.”

She peered at him for a few seconds, before bursting into a laugh. 

“I’m not joking, Photographer Park.”

That cut her laugh short, leaving a strange, silent echo between them. 

“You don’t really respond to my texts. You said nothing after the flowers and champagne. And you keep working with the most popular guys in the entertainment world. I feel I need to be right in front of you to tell you that I really like you. And if you don’t mind, can you spare me some time? I’d take you to coffee, or a drink, or a meal. Or a walk at Hangang. Whatever it is, I’d do it, as long as I could spend some time with you.”

“.........you can’t be serious.”

“I’m more than serious. I’m desperate.”

Sooyoung would definitely cringe if she was just a spectator. Or laughed out loud. But she couldn’t. Not in this particular situation. 

“I’m no Park Chae Young or Kim Dahyun, Yook Sungjae-ssi.”

Sooyoung mentioned the two girls rumoured to be dating him, Rose from Blackpink and Dahyun from Twice.

“I’m fully aware of that. You’re more beautiful than both of them, combined.”

A chill went down her spine due to his cheesiness. 

This was too much. She’s just a photographer, and he’s the most sought after supermodel at the moment. They were sitting in her office, he bought her coffee and he had thrown her the cheesiest lines that she thought guys would only say in dramas.

“Look, Yook Sungjae-ssi. This is really flattering, but I don’t want to waste your time. I’m not looking for a relationship right now.”

“It’s not wasting time if I enjoy it. And….what’s your plan for the night?”

“Nothing. I’m just planning to go home.”

“Then, can I drive you home?”

“............I have my own car. I can go home by myself.”

“Do you have a driver?”

“No. I drive it myself.”

“I’ll be your driver, then, Photographer Park, if you’d let me.”

She laughed at that. Supermodel Yook? Her driver?

“I drive really safely. I promise. I’ll drive you all safe and sound to your lobby. Or your frontgate.”

She was really unsure of what to do. 

It wasn’t the first time a male model made a pass on her. She knew she’s not exactly bad looking. She just never really dressed up. 

And maybe all those popular guys felt that she’s someone unique, a new challenge. But when she kept rejecting, they got the hint sooner or later. 

She really was honest. She loved her job with every fibre of her being, and she really was not looking for a relationship at the moment. 

“You really don’t have to trouble yourself, Yook Sungjae-ssi. I can manage on my own.”

He said nothing for a while.

“Alright. I won’t push you anymore, Photographer Park. But I won’t give up.”

He stood up, and she took you her sling bag. She wanted to go home as well. 

“At least try the coffee. I heard it’s your favorite.”

She took a sip. It was indeed her favorite brown sugar latte.

She smiled when she tasted it, it’s an automatic reaction. 

“It is my favorite, thank you so much.”

He smiled back. 

In the elevator, he asked for the third time. 

“Really, how’s your day?”

“It was great, honestly. I worked with some geniuses today.”

“Do you mean Super M?”

“Yes. How did you know?”

“I asked around. What do you mean geniuses?”

“They only need minimal direction. And they look fantastic from every angles.”

“.............anyone especially attractive?”

“They’re all really attractive.”

“I’m surprised you’re back so early. If I were a Super M member, I’d try to have a really long dinner with you.”

She didn’t know what to say to that, so they ended up walking through the parking lot in silence.

She opened her car with her mobile lock.

“Thank you for the coffee.”

“Thank you for seeing me. I hope you won’t get bored with me” he said, before opening the car door for her.

Sooyoung only smiled at that, before bowing an entering her car.

“Please drive safely” he added as a goodbye.

She bowed once more before driving away.

******************************************************

When Sooyoung went to bed that night, she felt what she just experienced was really unbelievable. She felt a bit sorry for him, yet she was really sure she rejected him politely. She was sure he’d find someone else more compatible with him, who’d be more than willing to accept him. 

The next day, she had no photoshoot. She was busy deciding with her team, which pictures from Super M they’d use for the next edition, and supervising the editing of the behind the scene video. She also had an internal concept meeting for the next month’s photoshoots. 

She was surprised when her meeting finished to find some texts from Sungjae. 

“What’s the food you’re craving the most right now?”

It’s a question mere colleagues who worked together for four times wouldn’t ask to each other. 

She then spent the next thirty minutes carefully reviewing the magazine’s draft for the next edition. 

Once she’s done writing her last post-it, she checked her phone again. 

After replying to all her other texts, she realized she hadn’t replied to Sungjae. 

She felt bad and said that she’s thinking to have sushi later after work. 

“What time will you finish?”

Sooyoung stared at her screen for some time, before deciding not to answer that. 

An hour later, her assistant informed her that she had some sushi delivery.

She was surprised, obviously knowing who sent it for her. 

“Come over to my office, then. Let’s share the sushi.”

“I don’t think you’d have room for another person. Lucky , I hate you.”

She and her secretary, Bae Juhyeon were indeed close, yet she frowned at the chiding that came out of nowhere. 

She got the reason why a few seconds later. 

The delivery guy was Sungjae himself. 

“You wanted some sushi.”

“.........you didn’t have to.”

He walked to the big, square, glass table at the middle of her office, and laid the sushi box there. It was a huge box, and there must be at least 50 pieces of sushi inside.

“I didn’t know what you like, so I ordered everything.”

“I can’t finish them all……”

“You can share these with your assistant. Or me.”

The answer seemed obvious, so Sooyoung sat down and accepted the chopsticks Sungjae gave her. 

They shared what they did that day for work.

When they finished half of the sushi, she suddenly blurted out, “I don’t get this. This really comes out of nowhere.”

Sungjae wiped his lips with a tissue. 

“It’s not out of nowhere, Park Sooyoung-ssi. You just kept brushing me off.”

She frowned. 

“No, I didn’t.”

“You did. Everytime we worked together for a photoshoot, I always sat near you. I always tried to talk to you. I always wanted to drive you home. But you always said no. I always texted you for days after each work, but your replies were always brief, before you stopped replying.”

“I thought you were just being polite.”

“I wasn’t.”

Again, she was rendered speechless. He was good in keeping up with small talks though, and she readily responded to that, talking about the food she liked and didn’t like, and in turn heard about what he liked and didn’t like. 

“I’m still willing to be your driver, Park Sooyoung-ssi.”

“I still have some work to do.”

“When do you think you’ll finish?”

“In an hour or two.”

“I’ll wait, and drive you home afterwards.”

“But what if it takes two hours?”

“Then I’ll wait for two hours.”

“It’s -- it’s a waste of your time.”

“I’ve finished my work for the day. And waiting for you is a time well spent.”

She felt a bit shaken by all these attention, but she didn’t really have the heart to tell him to leave. 

Her work consisted of watching all Got7’s music videos, reading all their profiles, and reviewing their previous photoshoots and advertisements.

Harper’s Bazaar Korea let her have independent creativity, so she had to come up with a concept that fit both Got7 and Harper’s Bazaar. 

She sketched a few pictures for some brainstorming. It was obviously going to be related with Valentine’s Day, but she wanted something more than just the color pink and heart symbols. 

When she finished sketching her ideas, an hour had passed. 

She turned to Sungjae on the couch, and saw that he had fallen asleep. 

She felt a rush of guilt, then. 

It was 9 PM. Maybe he had a long day. And he still came all the way here to treat her dinner, and even waited until she’s done working. 

She tapped his shoulder, calling his name. “Sungjae-ssi, Sungjae-ssi.”

His eyes fluttered open.

“You fell asleep.”

“You’re beautiful.”

His dreamy face would look picture-perfect on a glossy magazine spread, she thought. 

“What should I do to be with you?” the man beneath her asked. “Tell me.”

Only then Sooyoung realized, they were far too close for her comfort, and she immediately backed away, taking her bag, not seeing how Sungjae shut his eyes and took a deep breath. 

“You really didn’t have to trouble yourself, Yook Sungjae-ssi. You must have had a long day.”

“I get to see you. That’s the most important thing.”

“Please just go home and rest. You don’t have to drive me home.”

“I’m fine.”

“You need some rest.”

“Rest is spending more time with you.”

He needs to stop saying all these cheesy things, I can’t stand it, she thought. 

She walked out of her office, mumbling a “See you tomorrow” at Joo Hyun, who threw her a shocked glance, since Sungjae seemed like he was following her home. 

“You really should go home, not trying to drive me.”

“But I want to.”

She unlocked her car and he was going to open the passenger car, but then she noticed the dark circles under his eyes. 

“You know what, I’ll drive you home.”

“What?”

“Please sit here” she pointed to the passenger seat in her car. “I’ll drive you home. Tell me where do you live.”

“But--”

She surprised herself by pushing him gently.

He finally sat down and she closed the door. 

When she entered, he had finished wearing the seatbelt. 

I’m only doing this because I don’t want the guilt afterwards, Sooyoung told herself. 

“Where to?” she asked. 

“Your heart.”

She gritted her teeth. 

“If you keep speaking like this, I’ll kick you out.”

“No, you wouldn’t. You’re too nice for that.”

Once she drove out of the building, she asked once more, “I mean it, Yook Sungjae-ssi, where to?”

He finally mentioned his address.

She the radio.

“If you don’t talk to me, I’m going to fall asleep.”

“It’s alright, you can sleep.”

“Shiro.”

“What time did you start working today?”

“6 AM.”

“Wow, no wonder you’re tired. What was the concept?”

“Some domestic travelling. Promoting that e-money brand.”

“That’s really huge.”

“It’s ok.”

“It’s ok? That’s the most used e-money in the country. The contract must have been a fortune.”

“Are you trying to gauge my net worth, Park Sooyoung-ssi?”

She turned to him angrily.

He grinned at that.

“I’ll tell you.”

“I don’t need to know.”

“Algesseumnida.”

She was silent after that, and he quickly apologized. 

“I’m sorry. I was only joking. You don’t need money, you’re the city’s most popular photographer.”

“I’m not.”

“I know you are.”

Well, she was actually swarming in offers, but she didn’t need to tell him that. 

When they arrived at his apartment complex, he complained. “I should’ve stayed somewhere farther.”

“Thank you for the dinner. Have a great night.”

“You made my night, so thank you for that.”

She looked away at that. 

“Don’t fall for any Got7 members, Photographer Park.”

“Good night, Yook Sungjae-ssi.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow. Call me when you’re home.”

She didn’t call him when she’s home. He called, though. 

“Arrived safely?”

“Yes, thank you.”

“You sound good on the phone.”

“I’m hanging up, good night.”

“Don’t fall for Got7 members, I mean it, Park Sooyoung-ssi.”

“I don’t mix work with pleasure.”

“What kind of pleasure?”

“I’m really hanging up, good night.”

He chuckled. 

“You really make my day for seeing me today. I’m going to miss you so much until I can see you again.”

Sooyoung couldn’t stand it and cut the call.

She felt her cheeks got warm, and she took several deep breaths for that. 

The text she read before she went to bed was, “Good night, Beautiful. You look lovely today.”

She was going to delete the text, but changed her mind.

***********************************************

Author’s Note:

Hello, All.

This fic is a hello in this New Year. 

I hope it’s not too boring.

I haven’t written anything since September, because my teaching schedule got really crazy, up to 4 classes per day. 

When I had extra time, I only want to sleep and rest. 

But I feel great this weekend, so I’m writing and posting today. 

Surprisingly, it’s not Yongseo, but Sungjoy. 

If Sungjae were the photographer and Sooyoung were the model, it’s too mainstream. I enjoy being anti mainstream. 

Hopefully this could make me feel motivated to continue my other Sungjoy fics. 

I plan this to be a oneshot, so maybe just one or two more updates. 

Thank you so much for reading, and have a great 2020.