of green tea lattes and fake names

of green tea lattes and fake names
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was actually getting ridiculous.

Now, Seulgi wasn’t a stranger to weird coffee orders. In fact, she relished in the art of creativity. It was fun to see how people can come up with such peculiar names to be called out. Once, she was told by a woman in her late 30s to ring up her coffee order with the name ‘Mommy’. Granted, she was a bit shocked by the realisation but quickly masked her surprise with a dutiful smile. She wasn’t a judgemental person but seeing how satisfied the woman looked when she got her coffee made Seulgi realised perhaps she just had a ual kink of a stranger calling her mommy. It really wasn’t her fault, everyone had their own personal kinks.

Working part-time at Starbucks should have been an easy job. She had plenty of experience as a barista once and now, she just needed the extra cash to support her living means as a broke college student. It wasn’t supposed to be stressful, she was surrounded by the waft of coffee beans and the gentle instrumental playlist from Spotify. It was her safe place. It was a good way of meeting new people without any sort of expectations. 

But, this girl… she was getting ridiculous with her fake names.

 

(x) 

 

The first time she came in, Seulgi took notice of her immediately. It was difficult not to. She was beautiful, her brown eyes seemed to glisten in the warm white light of the coffee house, with her jet black hair falling to the small space of her back. With bangs almost obscuring the girl's eyes, Seulgi thought she was the most beautiful person to ever exist. 

Seulgi wanted to know more.

“Can I get a name, please?” She asked almost anxiously, after the gorgeous girl placed her order. She wanted to know what was the name of this mysterious beautiful girl. For some reason, putting a name on a beautiful face was better than nothing. However, her wish was quickly crushed when she heard the next two words coming out of the girl's mouth.

“Sure,” the girl nodded. “Batman.”

Seulgi blinked, unsure if she heard that correctly. “I’m sorry, what?”

“Batman.”

“Bat… man…?”

“Yup.”

“As in the fictional character from DC Comics whose whole alter ego is based on a bat?”

“Yup.” The girl eyes twinkled in amusement. “That’s him.”

“As in the vigilante whose parents’ got killed in front of his own eyes?”

“Tragic origin story, but yes.”

“… Right, right. Okay, okay. Yup, Batman it is. You’re… Batman… Batman… is you…” Seulgi trailed off, not knowing what to do with this piece of information. Her mind was still trying to reel and process this information if she were to be honest.

Shaking her head to snap herself out of her reverie, Seulgi smiled hesitantly. She decided the best way around this was to be professional, a quick reminder to herself to not be judgemental. Everyone’s weird in their own way, she figured.

"One green tea latte for Batman coming right up!" 

(x) 

 

The second time she came in, it took a while for Seulgi to recognise her. Seulgi decided it was the bangs-less haircut the girl was currently sporting that threw her off but nonetheless, she still managed to remember this peculiar regular customer. (It was totally not her full kissable lips that made Seulgi remember, it was absolutely not.) 

“Batman,” Seulgi greeted warmly once she came up to the counter. “Saving Gotham again?”

The girl giggled, clearly pleased that the barista remembered her. Seulgi could feel the warmth at the tips of her ears at the sound of her giggle. “Yeah, the Joker was a real pain in the this time.”

“A hot venti green tea latte then, for all of your troubles?”

She nodded, impressed that she remember her order from the first time they met.

“To… Batman…” Seulgi muttered, holding the sharpie in her hand.

“No, make it under Dumbo this time.”

“Dumbo…?” Seulgi parroted in confusion. “Your ears aren’t that huge though.”

It took a moment for her to really digest her words before Seulgi's eyes widened in shock. She blamed her inability to stop from saying her thoughts so carelessly. “I-I m-meant your ears are r-really… cute.”

Seulgi gave herself a mental facepalm. 

The broad, amused grin the girl gave her was enough to tell her she didn’t take any offence to that. “No, it’s okay. Thank you, though.”

“Right…” Seulgi quickly scribbled Dumbo on her coffee cup to avoid starin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter