Bet

1 on 1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's past midnight, and Momo still feels the frustration of losing the game earlier that day. She tries to sleep but can't stop thinking about her missing the last shot of the game.

She checks her phone and reads Jeongyeon's message telling her to go to sleep; Momo gives a dry laugh, "As if it was possible."

The fact that Momo is the captain of the team makes her even more anger to herself. The team lost because of her.

I need to practice harder.

That's why Momo decides to get up, walking slowly and quietly to not wake up anyone, and takes the only thing she will need right now: her basketball.

Luckily, there's a basketball court close to Momo's house. Some people may say that Momo spent more time playing basketball than in her own home.

Momo looks at her phone; it's almost 1 am. Playing at this hour of the night is Momo's favorite time since she will be alone and can release all her frustration.

However, as Momo gets closer, she notices that someone is playing on the court.

It's a girl.

If she weren't amazingly beautiful, Momo would think that she's a ghost since her skin is white like the snow, and she has never seen this girl before.

Momo really wants to play, so going back to her house isn't an option, but she's also doesn't want to play with this stranger. So, Momo decides to sit on the floor and wait for the girl to get tired and leave.

The girl seems so focused that she doesn't even look at Momo when the latter passes by her. Momo also tries to ignore her (and how good is her smell).

Momo observes the girl. She seems a good player, she knows how to grip the ball and knows how to flex her knees to jump high enough to be able to throw the ball effortlessly (she also has a great body, but it's just a detail).

"Are you just going to stare at me all night, or are we going to play?" The girl asks, then shoots and scores. She turns to Momo and smirks, "I know I'm pretty, but I thought you came here to play."

The girl is a good player, beautiful and cocky. Momo can sense trouble.

She could go away because she doesn't have time for this kind of stuff right now; she needs to practice.

But she can't help but feel like the girl is challenging her. And since the girl is a good player, it wouldn't be a total waste of time.

Momo snorts and, ignoring the part that girl noticed how she was staring at her, says, " I don't want to bother you."

"Well, I understand if you think that you're not good enough to play with me." The girl says, teasing Momo.

Momo gets up, "You don't know me." She says, and her anger grows a little more inside her. They don't know each other, but the girl doesn't care, she says whatever it's on her mind.

The girl walks towards Momo, "You could start saying your name," she extends her hand, "I'm Nayeon."

Momo stares at Nayeon's hand; only now she notices how big it is. That's why it is much easier for her to hold the ball.

"Are you going to keep staring at my hand like you were staring at me?" Nayeon says, raising her eyebrows.

Momo ignores the comment and tells herself not to blush and takes Nayeon's hand, "I'm Momo."

"Okay, Momo, let's play."

 

 

They were playing for an hour, and Momo couldn't be more embarrassed. She was missing almost all her shots while Nayeon was playing like a professional.

They were both breathless, but neither of them wanted to stop. Even though Momo barely scored, Nayeon couldn't stop smiling while playing. She wasn't teasing, not this time, but she recognized how good Momo is, and there's nothing that Nayeon likes more than a good challenge.

Besides, this was excellent practice for Momo. Not only Nayeon's shots were good, but her moves were smooth and fast at the same time. Momo hasn't played with someone like this before.

"Wait, let's stop for a while." Nayeon says, panting a little.

"What? Why? Are you tired already?" Momo says, trying to tease Nayeon, ignoring the fact that she's also panting.

Nayeon changes her playful expression and looks serious for the first time of the night, "Is there something wrong?"

Momo frowns, "What do you mean? With the game?"

"I mean, you're a great player Momo. You're fast, and steals the ball from me so easily." Nayeon pauses, catching some air, "but at the moment you throw the ball, you're using a lot of strength, that's why you're missing your shots. You're the perfect player until the last moment."

Momo thinks about the game she played against her rivals. All the frustration and anger come back to her at once, and she snaps, "Who are you? My mentor? I came here to play, not to be judged by someone like you. If you don't wanna play anymore, then I'm leaving." Momo turns around to go away, but she feels Nayeon grabbing her arm.

"Wait, you don't need to leave. It's not my problem if you don't want to talk about it, but I'm sure you would feel a lot better."

"There's nothing wrong." Momo lies. Of course. She doesn't talk about her problems with her teammates, why would she talk about it with a girl that she just met?

"Right. You're throwing the ball as if you were holding the head of someone you hate, but that's okay, you don't have a problem at all." Nayeon says rolling her eyes.

God, she's annoying.

"I already said you don't know me." Momo insists.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter