fin.

Soulmate Timer
Please log in to read the full chapter

In the world where Miseung lives, there's a particular timer that is sent to you after birth. The timer is engraved with your name, your birthday, the time of your birth, and a spot where there's an image of you that changes as you grow older. No one knows from where or from whom or how it even works, but each person is given one that tells them when they'll meet their five soulmates. It's a pretty big timer as there's a place for each of the soulmates. Those five soulmates are, The Friend, The Changer, The Lover, The Stranger, and The Divine.

Out of the five soulmates, The Divine receives an extra special indication. A tattoo-like image appears on your inner left wrist of roman numerals of the day and time when you locked eyes with each other. That's how you for sure know that you met your other half. So Miseung has already met four of the five and is awaiting the day she'll finally meet her destined soulmate where she'll spend the rest of her life with. The only thing is, she's seen and encountered him already, but she's just never personally have met him face to face just yet.

"Can't you stop sighing over there?" Miseung's best friend, Yeonjin, asked her as the two were chilling in Miseung's room as they had made plans to go out.

Yeonjin is the first soulmate that Miseung had met and Yeonjin turned out to be The Friend and vice versa. The two had met when they were like three years old when Yeonjin's family moved in right next door to Miseung's family. Of course at that time the two girls weren't that fond of one another as they didn't know how to react to the other due to their shy nature. Soon enough after one play date in the late afternoon the two instantly clicked and felt like they've known one another their entire life. They later discovered this moment through their parents a few weeks later when their Soulmate Timer for The Friend revealed an image of the two and the time clock itself stated 00:00 indicating that they had finally met.

"I'm not sighing." Miseung denied although she let out another deep sigh with Yeonjin rolling her eyes.

"Right, sure you weren't. So, are you gonna tell me or do I have to guess it out of you?"

"Um, I'll think about it." Miseung mused as Yeonjin shot her a knowing look.

"Usually that means later, right?"

"Mmhmm."

"Y'know, if you do it later than it becomes never."

"Wow, you really had to bring up that quote on me, didn't you?"

"Of course. Your Stranger Soulmate told you those words and I'm sure it's gonna stick with ya for the rest of your life."

"Yeah, like when I was in the seventh grade."

Miseung's second soulmate, The Stranger, was a little old lady that she happened to meet on the bus one early morning. The granny was a sweet person unlike what she's been used to. A majority of them usually travel in groups and would just spout out stuff from their past and make snarky remarks towards the younger generation. But this lady was traveling alone and kept to herself. Anyways, Miseung was traveling alone without Yeonjin and was going to school for her early lesson block. Miseung's parents decided that they wanted her to focus on school more and had set her up for extra lessons. Miseung wasn't thrilled about it, but what could she do against her parents' decisions. Anywho, Miseung had been looking out the window and unconsciously sighing the whole time.

The bus only had several people riding on it which was unusual, but maybe it was what fated had it for Miseung as the old woman asked what was on Miseung's mind. Miseung was shy at first, but something about the old lady made her calm and relax. The Stranger had a familiarity about her, but Miseung wouldn't know about that until later down the road. Anyways, Miseung voiced out her thoughts of the whole schooling and that her parents have been a bit more strict this time around than before. She admitted that she didn't want the early lessons or have them control her studies and hobbies, but decided to go with it as her parents were her parents. The older woman offered a piece of advice which would stick with Miseung for her whole life after that.

The granny told her that if she continued the way that she was and kept thinking the way that she did, then she would never be able to think for herself. That if she didn't do anything now about it, then all those laters would turn into nevers and that Miseung would miss out on all the chances that she could have taken. At first Miseung was confused and the elderly woman laughed and told Miseung that in due time she'll understand. Miseung never saw the granny again after that and it wasn't until the end of the week that Miseung understood and told her parents she didn't want the extra lesson and to just live life. Surprisingly, they agree and Miseung was relieved and happy for the first time in her life. The image of The Stranger was still etched in Miseung's Soulmate Timer, but the image was hard to make out and was the only picture to be black and white.

"Do it now. Sometimes later becomes never." Miseung stated with a soft smile before sighing as she admitted what was on her mind to her best friend.

"I was just reading Seungcheol's post about his engagement."

"Uh, huh. And why are you reading it?"

"It just popped up and Seungcheol messaged me the other day to invite me."

"So, you're gonna?"

"I dunno yet."

"Can I be your plus one?"

Miseung cast her friend a look.

"What?" Yeonjin asked with a shrug. "I thought I could be your moral support when you see your first love with his fated one."

"Gosh you're annoying."

"Then how about stop making yourself sad by seeing his happiness, Miseung." Yeonjin advised her friend with a roll of her eyes. "It won't speed the process of you finding your special one any quicker or easier."

"I know, but..." Miseung trailed off while letting out another sigh.

Seungcheol was the third soulmate that Miseung had met during her first year of high school although it wouldn't be until after their breakup that the Soulmate Timer would notified her that Seungcheol was The Lover and vice versa. Miseung was actually quite sad to discover that tidbit, but came to terms with knowing that life was like that and she would just have to deal with it. Anyways, she and Seungcheol started out as classmates and didn't really pay much attention to one another until the two were assigned the summer picnic task and had to work together. Seungcheol discovered that Miseung was cool as she could cook very well and she discovered that he couldn't cook that well and couldn't even handle spicy food. It was a very interesting summer picnic that year.

Soon enough the two became close friends despite being in different classrooms and by the end of their second year they started dating once they grew closer by building the relationship between them and were ready to take it to the next step. Those moments were great times and filled with a lot of memories, but then in their third year the love they had for one another seemed to have slowly fade over time. Eventually they just became friends again and stayed on good terms with one another after graduation. Although the image of the two were still etched within Miseung's Soulmate Timer, the image itself was less vibrant and more faded, but the little hearts that glimmered here and there still flashed from time to time.

"I'm not sad. It's just making me want my own true love." Miseung clarified with a roll of her eyes. "I'm happy for Seungcheol and I'm just wishing him all the best."

"Okay okay, but seriously, just don't go into another relationship like you did before our second year of college." Yeonjin reminded her friend as Miseung frowned.

"Oh, c'mon, Taeyong wasn't that bad. Besides, didn't you have a thing for his friend, Yuta or was it Kun."

"It was no one and I don't know who you're talking about." Yeonjin denied before shooting Miseung a steady gaze. "You were the only one that was part of that whole entourage of Taeyong, anyways."

"It wasn't like that. It was just..."

Miseung trailed off not sure how to describe her relationship with her last boyfriend, but Yeonjin had no problems in doing so.

"He was majorly popular by both male and female alike and lived life to the fullest that's for sure."

Yeonjin cast her friend a knowing look after say that.

Please log in to read the full chapter