fin

A Christmas Tree
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The weather was noticeably colder these days. A thin fog formed every time he breathed was the evidence. People walked passed by him, full-on thick clothes, mittens, scarfs, like giants teddy bear dolls. He anxiously shifted his weight from one leg to another, constantly moving to keep his feet warm albeit the thin socks and worn-out shoes he was wearing. His bare hands rubbed against each other to form a tiny heat he badly needed.

"Just a little longer," he smiled, muttering to himself.

 

 

 

"Teukkie!!"

A high-pitched voice coming from his left caught his attention. Although he knew his attention was not the only one who was snatched as people around them lingered their look on them, Leeteuk didn't care. He opened his arms wide—wide enough to welcome his cheery boyfriend. The hug was warming, his heart and his body. They were swaying left and right for his boyfriend held him exceptionally tight yet this was what kept him sane—having him was what made him continue to live his ordinary life.

 

 

 

"How's work, Chullie?"

A kiss on his temple sent his smile blooming. Heechul grinned widely, still clinging to Leeteuk.

"Meh... Boring."

Leeteuk opened the zip of his ripped bag and pulled out a small beanie for Heechul. He carefully put it on his boyfriend and was satisfied when Heechul looked warmer and adorable.

"Boring? You look like it wasn't, though?"

"What do you mean?" 

 

 

 

They began to walk, strolling the busy street, hand in hand. Leeteuk naturally put Heechul's left hand inside his jacket pocket and it gently.

"You smile a lot, Chullie. Tell me, did you happen to see Mr. Lee sleeping with his mouth open again?"

Heechul burst into laughter at the mention of the silly accident he told Leeteuk a few days ago when he caught his boss sleeping in the main cashier. However, this time, it was not it. He shook his head and looked up front.

 

 

 

"Nuh. It's just..."

Heechul looked up at the beautiful sky of dusk glow and smiled.

"I wonder when the first snow will fall."

Leeteuk stopped abruptly, turning to his boyfriend who seemingly wouldn't take his eyes off the sky. And as if the universe was listening to them, right at the very moment, something white fell on Heechul's rosy cheeks.

The first snow,

magically,

fell.

Heechul tapped the cold substance with his finger and a sigh escaped his lips. He looked at Leeteuk and a genuine smile formed, his eyes glimmering.

"First snow," was all Heechul could say. 

 

 

 

Leeteuk blamed for the surroundings that forced him to do nothing but fall deeper and deeper into the man in front of him. He suddenly leaned closer and caught Heechul's lips in a chaste kiss as he parroted,

"First snow."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Praying with all his heart that they still had some rice to eat, Leeteuk sighed in relief when he saw a heap of rice in the container. He took it and began to cook. The food on the pan he was reheating was sizzling temptingly. Grabbing two eggs from their old fridge, he cracked them in a small bowl to make an omelet. He was busy stirring the mixture when he heard a loud creak from the main door, meaning that Heechul had come back from the convenience store. There was a rustle before his boyfriend's fluffy hair descended from his shoulder accompanied by a pair of arms around his waist.

 

 

 

"Teukkie!! Guess what I saw earlier."

Leeteuk hummed and continued to pour the egg into the pan. The subtle response didn't die down Heechul's excitement because he had been used to Leeteuk's small reactions.

"On the way to the store, I saw a giant Christmas tree with so many presents under it. It was so beautiful, Teuk. The star on top was twinkling and the ornaments were—"

"Pass me the salt."

Heechul grabbed a small jar of salt and continued his narration, "The ornaments were very lovely. Teukkie, is it possible if..."

Leeteuk smiled sadly although Heechul never witnessed it, he knew where this conversation was heading to and honestly, he couldn't blame Heechul for it. They'd never celebrated Christmas the way other people did because of their unstable economy. The best they'd ever done at Christmas was spending the night in the park to feel the festive vibes. It shattered his heart to hear that all Heechul wanted for Christmas was a damn tree. A pang of guilt dwelled inside him for he wasn't able to give the least of what Heechul wanted.

 

 

 

"Is it possible if—"

"Do you get the ramen?" Leeteuk suddenly cut him. 

Heechul was taken aback but he eventually understood that Leeteuk silently reminded him that they were not in the state where they could afford a Christmas tree. He smiled, tightening his hug for a few seconds before he walked away to get the ramen that he assumed they'd be eating for the next few days. He crouched down to get the bag when suddenly something fell off his pocket.

A star—the small star ornament;

that he found under the Christmas tree from earlier;

that he decided to keep because he believed that he would put it on their tree;

someday.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"You're staying the night at your friend's house?"

Heechul had his grip tightened around the plastic bag containing the food his boss gave. He was very excited to come home and prepared the food for Leeteuk but for five damn times this week, his high hope was shattered.

For five damn times, he had to bear the loneliness of having meals by himself.

 

 

 

"But Teukkie, I— Oh. Alright, then. No... It's fine, Teuk. Just... Make sure you eat well. I love you."

A lone bud of tear rolled down Heechul's cheek as soon as he ended the call. His teary eyes wandered wildly into his small dimmed living room and his chest tightened. Since last week, they rarely talked. Even just to meet, he had to wait until late at night for Leeteuk to come home and what he got after was not praise for he'd been waiting for Leeteuk nor a kiss on his temple like he usually got because his lover would go straight to their bedroom and slept. He wanted to ask what made Leeteuk change but he was too afraid to face the reality if Leeteuk indeed had a valid reason that included his leaving him.

 

 

 

Staggeringly, Heechul strode over to the small fireplace and lit it on. It had been so long since he needed the warm from the burning logs, because all these years, Leeteuk had provided the best warmth,

in his holds.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next few days, the bright light Heechul was longing for never came. Without him knowing, his relationship with Leeteuk grew apart. His lover rarely came home and he began to seek company from his old friends. Just like tonight, he was boozed, head spinning badly, even his body supported by his friends to get into his flat. He was about to shout telling that no one was home as one of his friends was knocking on the door when suddenly the door was swung open. 

Even in this state with his blurry sight, he could still recognize who it was.

"Hello, is it Heechul's flat?"

Leeteuk frowned although he eventually nodded. The expression of the man in front of him immediately lit up.

"Ah. I'm his friend. My name is Gunhee, this is Jungmo. We're drinking tonight and Heechul seems to get a bit drunk so I get him home. Can I trust him to you?"

 

 

 

On the last part of the question, Leeteuk was surprised.

"Can I trust him to you?"

His jaws clenched, he didn't know why this man asked whether he could trust Heechul—his lover—to him. It surely scratched an ugly wound on his pride but he, still, was clueless why he deserved to be asked that.

 

 

 

Without answering or uttering any more words, he pulled Heechul's body closer and bowed as an act of thankfulness before he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter