final

christmas came a little early
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a cool autumn day in Los Angeles, everyone in the apartment was going home or was already home for Thanksgiving break except for Seulgi. Instead, she was stuck at the apartment finding it completely pointless to fly back to Korea for a few days and is getting ready for finals that were right around the corner. 

 

She is currently sitting at her desk with her laptop open, notebooks and pens scattered about, catching up on podcasts from all the lectures she missed--all because she slept in after staying up all night facetiming Joohyun. Until she was interrupted by her phone ringing by no other than the girl herself, Joohyun, trying to FaceTime her. 

 

A small grin appeared on her face as she accepted the call and saw Joohyun on the screen. The time difference made it difficult to talk to each other but they still managed. After all, they’ve been together for a couple of years already a little distance and time difference wouldn’t make a difference in how much they love and care for each other. 

 

“Hi babe! What time is it over there?” Seulgi asked as she took off her earphones and set her notes aside, it was about time she took a break after being at it for hours. 

 

“Right now, it’s 12 PM on Saturday. I miss you so so much, I can’t believe we managed to do this for nearly 4 months already!” Joohyun said as she moved about in her bed. 

 

“12 PM and you’re still in bed, geez Hyun. And I know right? Maybe we should keep doing this long distance thing a little bit more, huh.” Seulgi teased as Joohyun glared at her. 

 

“Hey now, don’t act like you don’t miss me either. After all, you're the one bombarding my phone with cheesy messages about how much you miss me.” 

 

“Actually, I miss you so damn much, you don’t even understand. I miss not being able to wake up next to you, I miss seeing how red your face gets when I whisper sweet nothings into your ear when we dance. I just miss having you in my arms. God, I have to wait another three weeks until I get to see you. Three whole weeks! 21 friggin days!” Seulgi exclaimed as she tossed herself on the bed and hugged the stuffed animal Joohyun gave her before she left to study abroad. 

 

Joohyun, on the other hand, was caught off-guard by the sudden confession, to be honest, she expected Seulgi to just deny it and they’d banter about who’d miss each other the most. But this, this was something else, Seulgi’s words made her miss her even more. 

 

“Aw baby, it’s going to be fine these three weeks are going to go by quick and next thing you know we’ll be in each other’s arms in no time.” 

 

Seulgi let out an exasperated sigh as she ran her fingers through her hair while looking at Joohyun get out of bed.

 

“Yeah, but the thing is I miss you so much more this week. Everyone’s home for Thanksgiving with their friends and family while I’m at the apartment catching up on podcasts before finals week. Don’t even get me started on finals, metabolic is going to kick my babe.” 

 

“My poor baby, is that the only class you’re worried about? Didn’t you do above average on the midterm?” 

 

“Yeah it is and I did pretty well on the midterm. But the thing is I’m lagging on the last few lectures so I have no clue with what's going on in lecture right now.”

 

“And why is that?” Joohyun asked as she started moving around in her room from what Seulgi can see on screen. 

 

“Uh well, you see I kinda skipped class on the days I’d stay up FaceTiming you.” Seulgi said, anticipating Joohyun to yell at her. Instead, all she got was a stern look from Joohyun on her screen and that was when she knew she ed up. 

 

“Baby, you can’t be doing that. You can always just hang up when it’s getting too late you know that right?”

 

“I know, I know. It’s just because I mi-“ 

 

“Because you miss me and I miss you too. But your education is important and you can’t keep missing class.” 

 

“Yes, mom. I won’t skip class anymore, scouts honor.” 

 

Seulgi grinned as Joohyun rolled her eyes on the screen and continued to get ready. 

 

“Anyways, I have to go soon, I made plans to have lunch with Seungwan, Sooyoung, and Yerim.” 

 

“Ah alright then, have fun with the girls and let them know I miss them too. I love you and I’ll talk to you later when you get back if I’m still up at that time.” 

 

“I will and I love you too.”  Joohyun said as she started sending kisses through the phone. That action would always put a grin on Seulgi’s face as she saw how ridiculous Joohyun looked with her lips puckered and eyes closed on the screen.

 

“Also Seul, keep up the hard work and it’ll be worth it in the end, I promise. Bye, see you in three weeks!”

 

That was the last thing Joohyun said before the two waved goodbye to each other and ending the FaceTime call. 

 

Three more weeks, I can do this. I’ve been at it for almost 4 months. Three weeks can’t be that bad, can it? Seulgi thought to herself as she went back to her desk to begin studying again.  

 

-

 

Boy was she wrong, there was only a week left before Seulgi’s final for metabolic and she was in complete shambles. Papers scattered about, notebooks all over the floor, eraser shavings collecting on her desk and there she was in the middle of it all with her head on her desk contemplating whether or not all of this was worth it. She let out a long groan before picking up her phone that was underneath the pile of paper to FaceTime Joohyun. 

 

It didn’t take long for Joohyun to pick up, the girl looked beautiful as always even if she just woke up. Seulgi pushed aside her complaints to focus on the girl on screen, awestruck at the fact that she was able to be dating Joohyun. Seulgi was so lost in the looking at the girl that she didn’t even realize she being slightly open until she heard a little giggle coming from Joohyun. 

 

“So are you going to tell me why you called at 9 AM?” 

 

“Sorry for waking you up. I just needed someone to talk to and you’re the first person to come to mind.” 

 

Joohyun shifted around in bed finding a comfortable position before looking at Seulgi with worry. 

 

“Is something wrong? Did something happen to you?” 

 

“Well, not really. I’m just in this rut with studying and I’m having second thoughts about becoming a doctor because I’m really not getting this metabolic stuff. If I don’t understand how metabolism works in the body and the various pathways, how am I supposed to diagnose patients?” Seulgi admitted as she placed her head on the desk again completely hiding her face from the camera. 

 

“Babe, look at me.” 

 

Seulgi let out a low groan before lifting her head to look at her phone, seeing Joohyun on the screen looking back at her with the utmost care in the world.

 

“I know for a fact you’re going to be a great doctor, I can see the passion you have in your eyes every time you talk about becoming a doctor to help those in need. This is just a little test in the path but we'll get through this together, I’ll help you study and you’ll ace this class.” 

 

Times like this are when Seulgi wonders how she was able to have Joohyun as a girlfriend. How blessed she was for having Joohyun by her side supporting her and caring for her even though they were hundreds of miles apart from each other. Moments like this are when Seulgi realizes how much she loves Joohyun and would do absolutely anything to keep her by her side. 

 

“You know Hyun, you’re really something else. I love you so much.” 

 

“I love you too. What do you mean by that though” 

 

“I mean that you’re absolutely amazing. All I have been doing is complaining to you and yet you’re still going to help me when you probably have to study as well. You always manage to find a way to make me fall in love with you more and more. You inspire me to become a better person. God, I am so lucky to have you. I love you Joohyun.” 

 

“You know, you make me a better person too. Every time I see you working hard to achieve your dreams it makes me work hard too. I love you so much Seulgi.” 

 

The two of them looked at each other, eyes brimmed with tears neither of them saying anything for a little while. Nothing was really needed to be said after all of that, they both knew how much they meant to one another and how much their love for each other is. It wasn’t until Joohyun’s stomach growl for either one of them to speak. 

 

“Looks like someone’s pretty hungry. It’s a sign for you to get up and out of bed” Seulgi said as she wiped her tears with her sleeves. 

 

“I mean someone did wake me up early. It’s fine though, I’ll get something to eat in a bit after we make a game plan for your studies.” 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter