Chapter 1: In-betweens

Who do you think of?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1: In-betweens

You’re not her though I try to see you differently

I tow the line, you see I’m searching for what used to be mine

(Sunburn, Ed Sheeran)

**

            From the white-framed windows of her apartment on the 18th floor, Wendy can see the City of Seoul breathing in another busy day. Adults wearing their usual black suits are shuffling out of their apartments one by one, kids are lining up at the bus stop across her building, and cars are starting to fill up the streets. Wendy moved here only a few days ago but she’s starting to learn the rhythm of the city. 6am. Busy people. Sleepy kids. Cars lined up like jellybeans on the streets. What surprises her every day, however, is the sky. This morning, it is painted with gentle of yellow and orange from the sunrise unlike yesterday, when it was just a calm sea–clear blue with streaks of white clouds.

The crescent moon is still visible though it is already fading into the morning. “Crescent moon,” she chuckled to herself. All her life, she called it toenail moon because of the nail-clipping song that her mom used to sing to her when she was little. As a kid, she was terrified at the sight of her nails being clipped, worried that it will hurt. Thankfully, her mom would gently sing to her. This was until Irene laughed at her when they were watching the sunrise together.

“Unnie! Look, the toenail moon is still visible!” Wendy said excitedly, pointing at the moon on the horizon.

“Toenail? What?” Irene asked, the confusion burrowed in her eyebrows. She traced where Wendy is pointing her finger and laughed, hitting the other girl’s shoulder.

“Yah! Are you in kindergarten?” Irene asked jokingly. “Toenail?!” She added, still laughing at Wendy. “Babo-yah! It’s called crescent moon.”

“I know that, unnie!” Wendy replied, pouting. “My mom just used to sing to me when I was little every time she clipped my nails because I was afraid my hands would get hurt.”

“Really? Sing it for me then.” Irene asked, excitement lighting up her eyes.

“I don’t want to. I’m shy.” Wendy replied, still pouting.

“Aish! I’ll buy you some bubble tea. I promise.”

Wendy’s eyes lit up at the mention of bubble tea and proceeded to shake her fingers slowly while swaying from left to right. “Time to catch the toenail moon, toenail moon, toenail moon~,” Wendy sang, acting cute.

Irene was smiling from ear to ear, swooning from Wendy’s angelic voice. “Yah! Son Seungwan! You’re melting my heart!” Irene said, pinching the other girl’s cheeks.

“Aigoo! These cheeks will be the death of me!”

“Unnie! It hurts!”

Irene let go and then put her arms around Wendy’s waist instead, pulling her closer and locking her in an embrace.

“Aigoo, Son Seungwan. You’re the best.” Irene told Wendy, still smiling like an idiot. “I’m gonna catch the toenail moon for you, someday.”

“No need, unnie. I already have you.” Wendy replied, kissing Irene on the forehead.

            Wendy caught herself smiling at the memory. It feels like it’s been a lifetime. Time. Oh, yes. What time is it? She glanced at the clock and saw that it’s already 6:13. She looked around her bedroom and sighed at the music sheets cluttered on her desk. It’s going to be a long day, Wendy. She quickly grabbed the Polaroid camera from her bedside table and took a photo of the sky. Smiling at the image in her hands, she headed downstairs to the bakery.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter