The Valentine Trail.

Valentine's Day.

Chunji must have broken the screen of his smartphone as he repeatedly pressed the call button. He could no longer count how many times he tried to call her and how many times he left messages on both her inbox and voice mail. But whatever he did, it seemed as though she blocked his number, or completely ignored him.

Chunji wasn't dumb. He knew what the cause of this was.

He had participated in a dating show and it made his real girlfriend jealous.

Oh she was not the jealous type. Hana wasn't like that. However, some things had to happen on the show and it sparked her jealousy.

She wasn't easily jealous. Really. Hana was an understanding girlfriend. She understood that because her boyfriend was an idol, she had to share his affection with thousands of fans, and even other idols.

But Chunji was starting to cross the line. He was slowly proving his role in one of their music videos as the "womanizer". Hana hated that.

She knew Chunji wasn't that kind of guy. But she had to admit, the idol life was slowly getting into him. And she was afraid. What if he would realize that he was too good for her? He'd leave her, for sure, and go off to another idol who's prettier than her and a thousand more times talented.

So on Valentine's Day, she hid.

She was supposed to spend the whole day with him. But she didn't want to give it to him easily. Especially when he dated that pretty girl on the show. She had understood though that it was his job and she, nor he, had no power of what shows to appear on and what happens in them.

It was their fourteenth month together too, and she hid from him. But of course, not without leaving a few clues behind.

---

Chunji raised a fist and was about to knock on the door of the apartment she lived with her mother and brother when it opened.

It was too quick, he barely had time to register what happened.

Her brother opened the door before he could knock and slapped a post-it note on his forehead then slammed the door on his face.

When he snapped back, he took the yellow note and read the contents.

I'm not home. Maybe someplace where there aren't any distractions.

Chunji raised a brow. Hana was suddenly speaking in puzzles.

But he could only think of one place.

The public library.

It was where they usually, secretly meet up because the few people there were too busy burying their noses on their books to notice an idol.

He took a cab to the library and headed inside.

Just like usual, the library was as silent as it could be. Nobody even dared look up from their books when he entered.

He turned his head and thought of going to the history section.

That was where they hid behind shelves and even slept on the floor because no one bothered to check that section. 

He went there, on a particular row of shelves.

A bright pink post-it note caught his eye. It was taped on a green book about the Joseon Dynasty.

You're smart. Too bad I'm not here. I'm probably at some place you would never be meeting me ever again. Good luck.

Chunji groaned. He had finally concluded that his girlfriend was playing with him and had guaranteed to be giving him a hard time. But then, he realized the effort she had to go through just to do it.

He smiled a little.

"Pabo girl," he muttered.

He pocketed the note and went on his way to a particular park where they had their first date over a year ago. It went horribly wrong. Instead of spending the whole day with her, he ended up leaving her behind as he had to hide from those people who had come to start liking their band.

Even though he was still a rookie that time, he had to look over himself and maintain the clean and fresh idol image. Aka, I-don't-have-a-girlfriend-I'm-the-fans'-boyfriend image.

He reached the park after hailing another cab.

When he got out of the vehicle, he made sure he was well covered by his scarf. But the red hair wasn't helping it as some girls looked at his direction, sensing familiarity.

He walked away before anyone could recognize him.

He walked towards a bench under a tree.

That had been the place where he found her waiting for him. That had been also the place where he had to leave her for the few fangirls.

There, he wondered what he was supposed to do for a while. Maybe she would appear in front of him this time.

He waited and waited. But no one came.

So he started to look around.

He didn't know whether it was by instinct or because he was desperate, I mean, who would expect a note taped on a branch above?

He stood on the bench and jumped just to get the note.

He wondered how she got it up there when he had to jump for it. After all, he was a head taller.

Wow, you found this.

That was all it said.

He looked at the note in disbelief.

That was all?

He flipped the note and found an address and a number 408 written below.

He recognized the address as the street of her school. But the number? He had no idea. Yet.

---

Chunji reached her school. There weren't many students since it was the beginning of break. Well, for some schools, at least.

Hana had already graduated but she had told him she still had some stuff to retrieve from her classroom and lockers.

And that was when he remembered the random 408.

It was her locker number!

The school was open and there were a few teachers finishing up some work and some students who were too busy gathering their own stuff to recognize him.

He found the lockers on the hallways and decided to follow the trail of numbers.

It wasn't until he reached the third floor did he finally find her locker.

"Um, what was her combi―ah!"

He remembered her girlfriend's phone lock. It was his birthday. Maybe that was her locker combination too.

He was right. The locker opened. Hana had already cleaned in up and there was only one thing inside.

It was another note with an address. He was unfamiliar of the place, so when he exited the school and hailed a cab, he gave the note to the driver.

In less than ten minutes, he reached the front of the hospital.

"Eh, ajusshi, are we at the right place?" he asked worriedly.

The driver turned his head at Chunji and gave him a look.

Chunji smiled sheepishly before handing his fare and jumping out the vehicle.

He walked through the hospital doors and looked around.

It was awfully quiet that it worried him.

He walked towards the receptionist who was busy sorting out files on her desk.

"Um, excuse me, do you, um, happen to know if Lee Hana left something? Or is she...here?" he worried. 

"Just a second, sir," was all the woman said and went on to her phone.

She dialed a number and talked quietly to the person on the other line.

It was a short call and she turned back to him once it was done.

"Just a moment," she said and returned to her sorting.

A minute later, he felt something, or someone, tug on his jeans.

He turned around and looked down, seeing a cute boy with a bowl haircut.

The boy looked up at him with puppy eyes.

"Hyung!" the boy exclaimed then raised his hand with a chrysanthemum.

Chunji took the withering chrysanthemum with uncertainty. He couldn't help but chuckle. The boy had given him the colored leaves of the flower.

"Hyung!" the boy said again and lifted both his arms, gesturing he wanted to be picked up.

Chunji bent down and took the kid in his arms, not without difficulty.

"Hyung, go there!" the boy said and pointed towards a hallway.

"Okay...?" he replied and slowly went on his way.

They continued walking down the hallway that seemed to go on forever until the boy pointed at the door with animal stickers all over it.

"There, there!" the boy said excitedly.

Chunji walked to the door and slowly opened it.

As he pushed the door wider, the boy wiggled in his arms.

Once they were inside, Chunji bent down and let the boy run off towards the group of kids surrounding his girlfriend.

He smiled as soon as he saw her, completely forgetting all about her game.

She was holding a puppet show with socks. As he listened on, he guessed that the story was almost over.

"And Mr Tippy lived happily ever after with Mrs Tippy! The end!" she ended and the kids bursted into applauses and cheers.

She joined in and clapped both her sock covered hands.

She finally looked up and saw him.

Her smile turned into what seemed to be a sneer.

He raised a questioning brow.

"Okay, kids, play time!" she announced and the kids scattered about in the room to different play stations.

He approached her then, with his hands in his front pockets.

"Yes?" she inquired nonchalantly.

"Why are you ignoring me?" he asked, trying to be cute.

"Oh, was I? I thought you might want a day off from me to spend it with Hye-On, Hyo-Yoon, what's her name..." she replied indifferently.

He laughed.

"Wow! I never thought I'd get to live to see Lee Hana jealous!" he teased.

"Shut up. Go away. I'm mad at you," she said and crossed her arms before turning away.

He grabbed her arm before she could turn her back on him.

"Hey," he said softly. "Sorry."

She didn't reply. Instead, she turned her head around the room and noticed the little kids had stopped playing and were already looking at them.

"Ah, babies!" she exclaimed at the kids. "There's a pabo in the room."

Chunji rolled his eyes. She was suddenly being so immature. Whenever he tried being the one in charge of the relationship, it would always backfire. In the end, he still ends up being the little man.

"Pabo! Pabo!" they started to . "Hehehehe. Paboooo!"

They were laughing even though it was not really funny. His aghast expression made Hana laugh with the children.

"Hana!" Chunji whined. "What did I do wrong?"

She humphed and turned her head away from him. He could never understand girls and their minds. He thought he didn't do anything wrong in the show. He played his role well.

"Hana, what's wrong?" he repeated, starting to sound desperate. "Did I do something wrong? If I did, I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!"

He whined even more and without warning, hugged her.

The kids went "ooh", making Hana blush.

Chunji had bent his knees to bury his face on her shoulder. He continued to whine and apologize. He only pulled away to give her a pout.

"I'm sorry," he said, completing the look with puppy eyes.

"Ppoppo! Ppoppo!" the kids started to chant. "Ppoppo! Ppoppo!"

Chunji smiled mischievously before stealing a kiss on her lips.

"Ewwww!" the children chorused. Some even covered their eyes.

Chunji laughed at their reaction.

Hana scowled at him playfully. Her face almost as red as his hair.

"I still haven't forgiven you," she murmured.

He pouted.

"Ah!" he said, remembering something.

He fished something out of the pocket of his jacket, then laid it on his palm. There were two silver colored bands tied together with a pink ribbon.

"Ta-dah!" he almost screamed. "Couple rings!"

She was too speechless to say anything. She had always wanted to wear one with him. But she knew he couldn't. Fans would speculate, especially netizens who were as clever as real detectives.

He took her hand and inserted her ring on her pointy.

"Usually, on a couple's 100th day, they're already wearing their couple rings. I'm sorry it took this long," he said and wore his own ring.

He intertwined his hand with hers and held it up.

"Ja! So pretty, right?" he continued. "I'm going to wear this all the time. No matter what our concept is, even if it doesn't match, I'll still wear it. If fans notice, I don't really care..."

He shrugged and then leaned in to kiss her forehead.

"Happy Valentine's!"

---

I didn't like how it ended. Tch.

I am amazed at how I like this chapter written than the drafts. Usually I'd like the drafts more. Ugh. And Daehyun's story was my favorite and it wasn't much of a good one written in chapter.