Jongin denies

Never too Late

It started during their practice sessions when it was just subtle glances, and friendly touches. 

But Kyungsoo liked to take care of people, and adding to that, Jongin was on his top list of closet-dongsaengs-that-he-trusted. But it was also Jongin's own dance drive that isolates him from the rest of the world. 

"I'm fine, hyung." Jongin tsked in annoyance as Kyungsoo tried to press his palm over his forehead. Sure enough, he wasn't really feeling it on the stage and his condition seemed to worsen as the concert ended. And again, his responsible hyung came running in his rescue. Jongin hated how dependent he was on him. 

"Okay." 

Jongin forgot it was the Kyungsoo that was in question here. Of course he wouldn't put up a fight or counter his rude remark and try to justify himself. He would just shut up all together and Jongin dreaded it's after-effects. 

Jongin sighed again. There he goes. 

"Hyung?" 

Silence.

"Hyung?" 

Again nothing. 

"You ed up." Chanyeol whispered in his ear and laughed like an idiot. Jongin just flipped him off. 

"Hyuuuung?" He called again. Still no answer.

"You can sort your little fight in the dorms. But for now, shut the up." Junmyeon snapped at the younger boy. Jongin, like a kicked puppy, zipped up his mouth and stayed quiet in one corner of the van. 

An hour later, they reached their dorms and as soon as they did Jongin jumped out of the congested vehicle. The others followed. Jongin wasted no time to tug the hem of Kyungsoo's shirt pulling him back.

"Hyung." 

"We're all tired for the day. Keep it for tomorrow." Kyungsoo muttered and freed himself from Jongin's hold, a bit harshly than he meant to be. Jongin held in the tears and rushed up the stairs to their shared room hitting the bed straight. On other nights, Kyungsoo would've pestered him by saying that he should take a shower. And once in a while, he offered to make him hot chicken soup to make him feel better. But this night, he didn't even get a goodnight. 

Jongin heard the door creak open. He was expecting the, "Jongin, shower." And the familiar touch of his hyung's hand resquesting him the same. But it never came. This night, Kyungsoo said nothing. 

Jongin didn't know when he fell asleep, but the next thing he knew was the sunlight hitting his eyes. He blinked his eyes, and clenched them shut the next second. 

Sunlight. Or so he thought. It was Chanyeol, lighting up his phone's  torch to reflect it on his face. 

"Hyung nooooo!" He groaned trying to cover his face with his hands. Then it hit him. He wasn't awakened by Kyungsoo hyung gently telling him to wake up. Nor he had his messy hair carefully fixed by his hyung and usher him to breakfast. Had he always been this dependent on Kyungsoo? He literally needed him for every step he took in his life. 

"Where's Kyungsoo hyung?" 

"Hmmn? He's downstairs, you know having his breakfast?" 

"Without me?"

Chanyeol laughed. "Grow up Jongin. He isn't going to wait up on you everyday. Just brush up and come down or you won't get any chicken." And he literally skipped out of the room. Jongin sighed, messing up his hair even more. Of course. He should grow up. 

----

Jongin felt the first hit of fever in the evening. When he saw two Chanyeols bogging up his vision. That did it. Obviously, he couldn't handle one and having two in that household scared the living lights out of him.

"Holy get out!" He yelled pushing on apparently the second version. 

Chanyeol stumbled back and gave him a weird look. "Why should I, huh?" 

No one interrupted guessing it was another of their daily fights but then Jongin said it. "We already have a Chanyeol we don't need another!" 


Everyone looked up from whatever they were doing and stared at him. "Another Chanyeol? Are you okay Jongin?"

Before Jongin could counter, his vision blackened out and his knees felt weak. 

He woke up on his bed the next time he opened his eyes. He was lying, on not his, but Kyungsoo's bed and a blanket was neatly tucking him in place. Jongin let out a yawn, wrinkling his eyes and tried to get the water. Wrong move. He regretted as soon as he pushed up his spine but god damn his back hurt like hell. He descended on the bed again, a string of curses flowing freely out of his mouth. 

"Stay still. You hurt your back when you fell." 

Jongin froze in his place. The familar voice sounded concerned and much closer than yesterday night when Jongin pushed him away. 

Kyungsoo came closer to the bed and sat on the side, his weight dipping down. Jongin gulped. He didn't know how to talk. Sure, he wanted to talk and wanted things to be as they were but now that they were, Jongin was not sure how to act. 

"Uh okay." Idoitic way to answer. Jongin mentally slapped himself.

"I knew you were not well, Jongin. Why didn't you tell me?" Kyungsoo caressed his hair. Jongin didn't even notice when his hands got up to his hair but now, Kyungsoo was playing with his bangs creating a soothing effect which had him close his eyes momentarily. But he jerked his eyes open again. Not the right time.

"Hyung?"

"Yes, Jongin?" He sounded so sweet. He sounded worried for him. Nothing like last night. And Jongin felt like breaking up which he did the next second. He maybe Kim Jongin to the world, but he was still the Jongin who needed midnight hugs when it came to Kyungsoo. A small sob escaped him and without a warning, he pulled the older into a tight hug. Kyungsoo sat startled for a minute then as the shock went away, he smiled, repeating his previous movements and soothed the crying dancer. Jongin cried harder pushing closer to his chest, soaking the shirt but none seemed to care. 

"I'm sorry, hyung." Jongin whispered between salty tears and small sniffs.  "I'm so sorry, hyung. Please don't stay away." 

Kyungsoo buried his face in the warmth of Jongin's nape, the fever making his body even warmer. He smelled his scent and smiled on his neck. "I'm not that cruel of a man to push you away when you're sick, Jongin." 

Jongin stopped and lifted his face up from the hug. "Tha-that means you'll go back to the cold hyung once I get better?" He mumbled, on the verge of another feat of tears.

Kyungsoo grinned. "What do you think?" Jongin whimpered, again diving for a hug. He shook his head, his way of profusely saying no. "Then I don't wanna get better." 

And that was it. Kyungsoo could no longer stay mad at the boy. All his previous anger evaporated in thin air as he hugged Jongin back and kissed the top of his head. "I'll still be this Kyunsoo once you get better. So get well soon, okay?"

The smile that Jongin gave him was enough to light up the whole of Seoul in darkness, Kyungsoo believed. Kyungsoo patted the younger's head and was getting up. Jongin had other plans. Kyungsoo turned back at him when he felt someone tugging his fingers and pulling him back. Kyungsoo sighed with a smile, and sat down again. 

With a playful look, he flicked Jongin's forehead gently. "What?"

No words, Jongin only tapped his cheeks which was turned towards him. Oh. Jongin needed a confirmation. Kyungsoo laughed in his mind. But he obliged anyways. He entwined their fingers and peppered a couple sweet kisses on Jongin's slowly blushing cheeks. 

"Rest now. Say hyung, and I'll be back in a second." 

Jongin laughed.