Chapter One - Anxiety

Learning to Love Yourself
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Anxiety is something Ji Woo suffers from every day. She knows that it’s stupid and knows with all of her heart that it wasn’t a big deal. These simple things should roll off of her, but they don’t. In her head, a thousand different thoughts linger. Maybe she shouldn’t have said that to a person, I shouldn’t have even talked, that person hates me now, what am I going to say next time, and so on. Suddenly, the small thing is very big, and it keeps growing in her head, flooding her chest, and trying to escape from under her skin. She knows with all her heart that she’s being ridiculous, and she hates every second of it.

It takes her awhile to get up from bed because of all these thoughts in her mind. When she finally gets up, the first thing she does is take her migraine medication before the migraine even sets in. Ji Woo avoids looking at the mirror right in front of her while passing it to go to the bathroom. She hated looking at herself. She hated the person she saw every time she looked at the mirror… a disappointment. She quickly snapped out of it and saw that it was already one in the afternoon. She quickly took a shower, brushed her teeth, and put on some clothes for work. She had to be there by 2:30PM. She grabbed her apron and left her apartment.

When she got to the café, the first thing she did was wash her hands and put an apron on.

 

“You’re here early.” A familiar voice came from behind her. “Yeah. I wanted to see if you were okay, you drank a lot yesterday.” Ji Woo said with a cheery voice. “No! I’m not fine! You…” Soo Ah, Ji Woo’s friend from college started talking.

 

You? Ji Woo started to warm inside and very nervous. She started putting her fingers into to bite her nails. She barely had any nails left. A million thoughts ran through her hard. She went over everything that happened last night in .5 second. Nothing bad had happened. What is Soo Ah going to say?

 

“You left me! I went to the bathroom for two minutes and Mark tells me that you left! I had to walk his home because he was so drunk! He’s not an easy person to carry!” Soo Ah was looking at her phone while showing pictures of Mark laying on the sidewalk to Ji Woo.

 

A sigh of relief left Ji Woo and she went back to the sink to wash her hands again. She really had to stop the bad habit of biting her nails, but she knew she could never stop. It was the only thing that calmed her down. Acting as if she didn’t have that little panic attack, she talked to Soo Ah normally.

 

“How heavy could he have been? I had to go home to finish some housework.” They both walked to the counter to get ready for work.

“Do you know how heavy a drunk person is?! VERY HEAVY! I almost left his on the sidewalk last night.”

“Next time, I won’t leave him with you.” Ji Woo just smiled and continued to work.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter