What If.

SeBaek's February 14th.

Baekhyun sighed.

 

Today was definitely out of the ordinary.

 

His favourite man wasn’t snoring away beside him. In fact, there wasn’t a single trace of him. The bathroom door was wide open, the sheets on his man’s side wasn’t creased, and the house was dead silent. His boyfriend wouldn’t just leave him alone like that. To add on, the taller younger didn’t have work too, since it’s a Saturday.

 

So where did Oh Sehun go?

 

Baekhyun rubbed his tired eyes and made his way to the bathroom to freshen up, trying his best to not overthink. Sehun is a responsible man, and they had known each other for two decades. After putting on a hoodie, a pair of comfortable sweatpants and a pair of thick socks, he stepped out of the bathroom and slipped into his pair of house slippers then dragged his feet over to the kitchen.

 

He really hates the feeling where he knows that something his wrong but he’s just unable to pinpoint the problem.

 

He’s a simple man who doesn’t expect much. In fact, he didn’t expect any flowers or chocolates. Just a text will do, but there wasn’t even a tiny speech bubble with a “1” on the corner of his messaging app’s icon. Nothing. There was nothing.

 

Whenever one of them leaves the apartment while the other is still sleeping, a note, or at least, a text, will be left to tell the other that he’s out, for whatever reasons. But this time around, there’s nothing. Absolutely nothing.

 

It was then that thoughts, the ugly ones, came flooding in.

 

What if his one and only, Sehun, was cheating on him?

 

What if Sehun was acting all these while?

 

What if Sehun found someone better?

 

What if-

 

This won’t do.

 

Baekhyun bolted into their shared bedroom and slammed their shared wardrobe’s door open. It was full, filled to the brim, even, but all he saw was a half empty space. He checked all of the drawers, they had things inside, nothing was touched, but all Baekhyun saw was nothing less than empty compartments. He then dashed to the bathroom and out to the other rooms to check, but Sehun’s things were gone. All gone. The furnitures that Sehun bought were all gone. The apartment was half empty. He ran to the kitchen and shook his head after looking around. He then made his way out to the large living room and stood right in the middle of it.

 

Sehun had left him.

 

Byun Baekhyun was losing his mind.

 

Tears started spilling out of the petite male’s eyes. He grabbed his phone from his hoodie’s pocket and dialed Sehun’s number.

 

Once.

 

Twice.

 

Thrice.

 

His calls went straight to voicemail.

 

He tried texting his baby.

 

His slender fingers moved rapidly.

 

Sixteen texts.

 

They were sent one after another, all in the span of a single minute.

 

Baekhyun waited and waited.

 

Five minutes passed.

 

Ten minutes passed.

 

Eighteen minutes passed.

 

Twenty-five minutes passed.

 

His phone didn’t light up. Not even once.

 

Baekhyun collapsed onto the ground, his phone suffering from the tight grip of his hands, and more hot tears cascading down his cheeks.

 

From now on, he’s alone.

 

Sehun had really left him without a word.

 

No break up texts, no note, nothing.

 

 

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

 

 

Sehun grinned.

He had been preparing for this day for months. From taking hours to reserve a private room of Baekhyun's favourite restaurant for dinner, to taking days to pick out the perfect present for his man -though he really didnt need to since Baekhyun didnt care about receiving gifts that much, but it was still something Sehun wanted to do for his one and only- and finally, to taking weeks to practice how to bake Baekhyun's favourite Strawberry Clafoutis. (He doesn't like the traditional Clafoutis made with black cherries.) It was difficult and tiring, but he did it all for his one and only; Byun Baekhyun.


However, he didn't do any of those at home. For the reservation, he did it at his office. For the picking of the perfect gift, he did it at a friend's private department store that he knew Baekhyun wouldn't go, because, according to the older, it was too fancyfor him. For the practicing of the Clafoutis, he did it at his Pastry Chef friend's place -and even though Sehun enjoyed cooking, he had never been interested in baking, which, funny enough, both his parents are Pastry Chefs.- He was doing it all for the light of his life, so its alright.

 

He had to balance these three things along with spending time with Baekhyun, hanging out with his friends when he can, having the weekly Sunday dinners with his family, and work, which was unfortunately piling up for him.

On top of that, he had to hide everything from Baekhyun, if not his major surprise would be ruined and he didnt want that. Whenever Baekhyun asked him about where he was going, he could only tell the former that he had "important things to settle" and it hurts himself when he saw Baekhyun looking away and muttering an "alright" under his breath, along with the confusion and sadness in his lovers eyes whenever he hears that line. He knew that Baekhyun doesnt want to be clingy. He knew that Baekhyun doesnt want to be the annoying boyfriend who wants to know where his partner is at every single minute. And he felt guilty for not telling the male the truth, but he absolutely couldnt let it slip.

It was not easy for Oh Sehun at all.

 

With the lack of sleep, the exhaustion, and the juggling of his time between so many things.

But none of that fazed him because he was willing to do literally anything and everything for his love, Byun Baekhyun.

However, he was worried.. And afraid.

He knows that when he's extremely fatigued, he tends to lose his emotions and say the wrong things. Or even worse, do the wrong things.

What if he lashed out at Baekhyun without him realising it?

What if he landed his hands on Baekhyun before he could stop himself?

What if he neglected Baekhyun because of everything he was juggling?

What if, even if his family didn't mention it to him, they were disappointed in him for being distracted, or worse, rude during their Sunday dinners?

What if he hadn't put in 100% into his reports at work because he was barely getting enough sleep?

What if his friends were angry at him for not focusing whenever they talk because he was on the verge of passing out due to his couple hours of sleep everyday?

What if.. What if?

Sehun shook his head and buckled his seatbelt after getting into his car. He had to get himself together. He glanced over at the two things; a medium sized box with Baekhyuns gift in it and a bouquet of Baekhyun's favourite flowers, white carnations, over on the passenger's seat, and smiled. Today was the day. It wasn't just Valentines Day for him, and he could only hope that it was the same for his love.

Sehun had prepared for everything; everything was going as planned, but he wasn't prepared for the sight in front of him when he walked into the house with his arms full.

 

 

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

 

 

Baekhyun sobbed. Sehun froze.

Sehun stood rooted to his spot, shocked out of his life as he watched his lover bawl.

Baekhyun stared at the black screen of his phone, his chest rising and falling at a high speed as he choked on his tears.

Sehun snapped out of it and set everything down onto the floor carefully before taking small steps towards Baekhyun, being very careful with every step he took.

"Sweetheart?"

 

His voice was laced with genuine worry and concern.

Baekhyun couldn't hear anything as his thoughts were clouding his mind. His grip on his phone caused his knuckles to turn white and the veins on his arms were very visible. They were almost popping.

"Baekhyun, baby," Sehun spoke, this time a little louder, but still being gentle. "What's going on? Talk to me, please. What's happening? Did something happen while I was out?" He sat down beside the male and carried him onto his lap gently.

Baekhyun wrapped his arms around the man tightly, feeling the warmth radiating from the taller male. "S-Sehun left me. Everything is gone. He hates me. He has never loved me." His voice was filled with so much pain and that shattered Sehun's heart.

Sehun hugged the smaller male against him, wanting to provide him with as much warmth as possible. His boyfriend was so cold and he absolutely despised that. "Baby, what are you talking about? I'm here. I'll never leave you. We made a promise, remember? I love you, so incredibly much. I'll never in my life hate you."

Baekhyun shook his head, feeling himself starting to shake in his boyfriend's warm arms that he hadn't recognized yet, due to his state. "No! He left! He took everything with him!"

"Baekhyun, the love of my life," Sehun pulled away a little and cupped the older's cheeks with his large hands, feeling his eyes whelm with tears at his lovers state but he told himself to hold it together, for the both of them. "Look at me." He looked into the teary eyes of his man and spoke seriously. "I'm here. I'll always be here. I'm not leaving you, not now, not ever."

"Sehun?" Baekhyun almost yelped, at last registering the fact that the person in front of him is the man he loves. "Sehun!" He placed his smaller hands on top of his younger boyfriend's large ones. "You didn't leave me.. You.. I knew you won't. I'm- I just missed you so much. I was so afraid. I won't be able to carry on living without you. I had no idea where you went and you were uncontactable for the entire day. I thought something happened to you. "

"I know, I missed you too. I'm so sorry, love. I was busy." There was a short pause. "Really busy," Sehun whispered, looking deeply into the latter's eyes. He took a small box from his back pocket and opened it, revealing two custom made rings. Baekhyun's eyes went wide.

"Hun.."

"I know I haven't been the best boyfriend lately but I promise to make it up to you. I know I've made you cry but that won't happen again, unless they're happy tears. I'll love you with all I have and more for the rest of my life. So, Byun Baekhyun, will you marry me?"

The rings fit perfectly.

"Oh, and Happy Valentines Day, baby."


So here you go, my first work posted here.

1962 words.. Is that normal? Too little? Too much?

I hope you enjoyed it, and I appreciate feedback.

Till next time!

-El