Baby Chaeyoung

What is Love?

Chaeyoung, 5 years old

 

"Mama, what is love?"

 

"Hmm? What makes my boy curious all of a sudden?"

 

"Because Mama and Papa always say you love me."

 

Chaeyoung's mom chuckled and smile. She cupped her precious child cheeks and said: 

"Love is when you feel immense affection to the person you like. Where even his single existence could elated your heart and fill your day with joy. And when he smile....." his Mom pinched and slightly pull his plump cheeks apart, making his small lips curved upward a little. "... you feel that your world is complete."

 

The small cub giggling, and encircled his tiny arms around his Mom neck, pulling her closer for a hug.

 

"Then I love you too Mom" he said.

 

"Oh and Daddy too! I love Daddy too!" he added.

 

.

.

.

Chaeyoung, 10 years old

 

"Daddy, Daddy! Look! Look! What're they doing?" Little Chaeyoung pointed at two persons in the center of the crowd, surrounded by people.

 

A man, and a woman.

 

The man kneeled down on one knee. He had a bouquet of roses on his left hand. His right hand rummaging the inside of one of his pockets, looking for something. He looked nervous, but kinda excited. Chaeyoung couldn't fathom his action nor his expression.

Meanwhile, the lady looked surprise, hands on and one could see a well of tears started to form in her lower eyelids. 

Chaeyoung could feel that the crowd had gotten bigger. Some were panicking over themselves, some looked extremely excited, some had cameras on their hands, and some were just hyping up the atmosphere.

 

"Look like someone will get laid tonight." his Daddy smirked.

"Ouch! Ouch!" his words earned a hit to his now reddened right arm.

"Don't say that in front of your kid. He is still too little." Mommy Son scolded.
 

Chaeyoung tilted his head, looking at his two parents confusingly.

 

"Ehem! Chaeyoung... let Papa explain." he cleared his throat

"So the man who is kneeling, is gonna propose to the woman who is standing."

 

"Propose? Why?" The small figured kid asked.

 

"Because he love her."

 

"Then why Mama and Papa never do that to me? Propose to me too! You said you love me." he demanded, showing his pouty lips.

 

"Psssttttt.... Hahaahhahahahah......"  The Son family bursted into series of  laugher, unable to control their laugh any longer.

Their cub was so pure and adorable, full of curiosity. How they love their son so much.

 

"Why are you laughing? Tell me! I also want to know! Involve me too!" Chaeyoung said, didn't want to be left out. His lips still puckered and his eyebrows started to frown.

 

"Chaeyoung, honey, do you know what love is?"

 

"Yes I do! Mommy told me some time ago." he said proudly.

 

"Honey, the love I told you that time was kinda different." Mommy Son explained, hand trying to wipe off her lingering laughing tears.

 

"Different? How?"

 

"Umm.. you see. Love comes in different ways. Our love to you is that of parents and child. A family. And that man's love to that woman is that of lovers. Romantically."

 

The small beast was lost on his thought. He tried to decipher his mom words one by one. 

Lover?

Romantically?

What was that even meant?

 

"Mama, what does that love feels like? Is it the same like you told me before? Will I feel elated and joyful?"

 

"Yes my sugar plump. It feels amazing. It brings happiness and blissful into your life. Somehow it fills you with different emotions. But they are good ones." Her Mom looked at her husband lovingly, smile formed on their faces, and so Papa Son gave his wife a peck on her forehead before kneeling down on his knees and pressed one too to his beloved son.

 

"Someday you'll understand. And when it comes, you have to cherish it. For it is a wonderful feeling." his Daddy said, smiling.

 

Chaeyoung nodded.

Maybe he was too small, too young to understand what his parents meant by that time. But he would put their words in his heart and wait for that time. He promised he would wait until he found out how 'that love' felt like.

 

Wait for that someday

 

to finally come.

.

.

.

Fin~