of maruchan and hot chocolates.

i think my cat likes you (and so do i)

//

 

“a cat. there is a cat, chilling on my couch." sakura says to no one in particular.

 

it's ginger, this furry kitty is. sakura assumes the owner of this small critter has a thing for pink, judging by the collar hanging around its small neck— no nametags. sakura has her eyes in slits, ever so suspicious about this peculiar break-in. then there's the composed kitten just sitting on the armrest of her couch, seemingly staring into her soul with its big, guilt-free eyes. 

 

it eventually loses interest in their spontaneous staring contest, opting to its paws and grooms itself subsequently. sakura immediately drops her suspicion, lips curving up in an amused smile. with an intruder as cute as this kitten, who wouldn't fall for the little things it does?

 

and coming home from work to this? it's almost enough to unload the overwhelming pressure off her shoulders.

 

“hey you’re kinda cute,” sakura admits, braving towards the strangely still critter.

 

carefully, she rests a hand atop its head, its eyes cautiously following her hand in the process. surprisingly, it doesn't flinch upon her touch. 

 

“wonder who you belong to though.” a few gentle rubs and it purrs. sakura couldn't help but break into a smile, feeling her heart swelling at the sight.

 

just as she thought about making the kitten a member of her household, she heard a familiar voice calling out to a foreign name. sakura turns her head, seeing her dumpling neighbour (she means it in a good way) obliviously roaming back and forth outside her unit looking rather worried. 

 

“maru?! maru! great, where did that cute little rascal scurry off to now...” she heard her neighbour helplessly sigh, halting her anxious steps in defeat.

 

having it all figured out then, sakura feigns a glare at the kitten which only tilted its head in innocence. by the sound of how disheartened her neighbour was, she reckons this rascal of a kitten must be maru and must have scurried off a couple of times before.

 

"you've been a baaaad kitty, c'mere little one." sakura chides, promptly carrying the ginger furball into her arms gently. again, it doesn't seem to struggle or run away from her grip.

 

are cats always this affectionate or am i just really that likeable?

 

now that's just being a tad conceited, she thinks. not wanting her dumpling neighbour's worry to escalate more than it did, sakura hastily strides outside her apartment with the kitten comfortably sitting in her arms. 

 

her neighbour's back was facing her with arms akimbo, pastel pink tresses cascading down her small back. the choice of colour intrigued sakura for a split second, she finds it rather flashy yet gorgeous.

 

maybe i should try dying my hair something akin to that bold colour...

 

she doesn't know if she would look good in pastel colours though, isn't really fond of standing out either. snapping out of her trance, she voices out to her neighbour.

 

“i may have an idea of where the ‘cute little rascal’ went,”

 

“oh!” her neighbour jumped and whirled around, emitting a tiny squeak upon her sudden approach.

 

“hello... neighbour.” sakura shows off her lovely smile, amused (but also a bit shy) seeing her neighbour looking at her wide-eyed with her jaw practically hanging.

 

hitomi cannot fathom what her eyes have landed on, a celestial being perhaps? that would be impossible, because as far as she knows she doesn't have the ability to see supernatural entities. but then again, there's one standing right in front of her eyes, quite ethereal too.

 

with that said, hitomi may be exaggerating. it's not like she hasn't seen her industrious and very attractive neighbour before. she has, and most of the time her neighbour would be immaculately dressed— in suits coming in various colours and styles. unfortunately, they never really had a proper conversation before. 

 

at the moment, her neighbour looks no less than stunning than the previous times hitomi had seen her. sakura is donning a laurel dress suit with gleaming white heels (and not to mention her elegant hairstyle in black waves) and hitomi is lowkey internally losing it. oh, did she mention those shimmering threader earrings of hers? gorgeous.

 

then it hits her that they haven't actually learned each other's names. hitomi collects herself and averts her gaze to the ground before timidly looking up. hitomi wonders if this is what it feels like to be in the presence of a queen. 

 

“it’s hitomi, honda hitomi.” she praises herself internally for not stumbling over her words, but her fingers are getting a little fidgety.

 

maru abruptly leaps off of her neighbour's arms and lands effortlessly on its tiny paws, circling around hitomi's legs with a little mewl.

 

cats are deceitful. hitomi perceives, maru's just casually being affectionate with her as if it hadn't committed a break-in earlier. but hitomi's ears caught a soft coo coming out from the other party, and contemplates to let maru off. 

 

she scoops up maru in her arms.

 

“it's very nice to finally know your name. i’m miyawaki sakura. please just address me as sakura.” 

 

even the way she speaks is heavenly.

 

hitomi had to put on a little act by looking down at maru in her arms and its fur in order to hide her embarrassment. she merely responds with a timid nod, before gathering all her courage to look at sakura in the eyes again.

 

(she instantly regrets it when sakura beams at her.)

 

“i believe this will be our very first official interaction?” 

 

hitomi lets out a giggle when sakura pretends to rub her chin in question, making light of the awkward atmosphere. her neighbour is not only gorgeous, speaks with a heavenly voice but also silly

 

“i believe so, sakura-san.” hitomi replies, a blush creeping up her cheeks. (she only hopes sakura doesn't notice.)

 

“just sakura is fine, really.” sakura reassures, and hitomi wonders if she always speaks so warmly to everyone. it wouldn't be surprising if she was really well-liked at her workplace. 

 

hitomi nods once again, yet unsure of calling her informally on their first official meeting. nevermind the many times hitomi saw her previously. (brief greetings don't count, right?)

sakura is still someone whom hitomi holds in a high regard, a senior who has lived in this apartment complex far longer than she had.

 

“it’s silly, isn’t it? we’ve been neighbours for quite some time and yet we never knew each other’s names.” sakura says with a little sigh at the end, her brows furrowing looking almost guilt-ridden. 

 

and hitomi understands, because within these two months, she has already learned a few things about her neighbour. and one that has her concerned, is how much sakura's investing into her work. she comes out of her house after dawn and returns almost late into the night. so seeing her neighbour returning home early before evening today puts her heart at ease.

 

hitomi gives her a tender smile, and maru is dozing off in her arms.

 

“i’m really sorry if i was loud earlier. i honestly thought you weren't home yet." she bows her head slightly, would've done a full ninety if she wasn't holding maru. 

 

weirdly, sakura does the same. hitomi wasn't certain what the latter was sorry for but she figures it must have been for their lack of interactions. hitomi is sorry too, for being a coward that is. (every time she thought of approaching sakura, her mind immediately shuts down, wondering if sakura would even want to socialize with her.) hitomi wouldn't blame her neighbour if she was ever thought of as a stuck-up at some point.

 

“no worries, though i didn’t know you had a kitten.” sakura casts a gentle gaze at the sleeping kitten in hitomi's arms, head tilted with a hint of curiosity. 

 

hitomi really likes how their conversation is going so far. chatting with sakura is ten times better than glancing at her from afar like a creep. (she's never felt so comfortable and contented.)

 

“actually, i adopted maru-chan a few days ago. figured i could use some company.” 

 

it had been lonely, after all, she works freelance from home. and she only ever goes out for an exercise, meeting with some friends or a walk around the park. often, she has her nose buried in books or busy crafting accessories to sell online at home. (she's thankful her hardwork and effort is well-loved.)

 

“definitely a good choice.” sakura concurs as she relates, although she has her girlfriend over at times. (of course, hitomi knows this.)

 

“after breaking into your home sakura-san? not so sure about that now.”

 

sharing laughter with her lovely neighbour is emotionally rewarding, hitomi thinks. sakura has this interesting laughter, one that sounds kind of awkward and airy. (she really doesn't know how to put it.) and all hitomi feels is warmth.

 

sakura waves a dismissive hand. hitomi marvels internally while keeping a calm face, she even has pretty hands.

 

“it’s fine, really. luckily this fella happens to be really adorable, like all kittens are, and i also happen to be a cat person.” 

 

unfortunately, when you're enjoying yourself, time seems to move fast. sakura's phone sounded out of the blue, and she hastily fishes it out.

 

“excuse me, but i have to take this call. it’s been really nice talking with you. talk again soon, hiichan? ah- can i call you that?"

 

“i don't mind. likewise, sakura-san. see you!”

 

hitomi sheepishly grins as she starts to walk backwards, good times never really last do they? 

 

"it's just sakura!" she waves to hitomi merrily as she closes her gate, hitomi mirrors her movements.

 

her neighbour is gorgeous, speaks with a heavenly voice and is adorably silly... so of course she would be taken. 

 

it's a little saddening, but it will probably pass— like any crush would. looking down at sleeping maru, hitomi smiles softly. she nuzzles her cheeks against maru's little head, the kitten then letting out another soft mewl.

 

“i‘ll let you off just this once, maru-chan.”

 

and now hitomi has to think about hiichan. that's probably going to be stuck in her head for a long, long while. she wonders if she can deal with sakura calling her that all the time from now on.

 

all of that probably wouldn’t have happened if it wasn’t for this cute little rascal.

 

.

 

their previous morning greetings used to be half-hearted, just a simple 'morning' or even a nod. it had been too brief. that was when they had barely noticed each other. 

 

so it's a nice change when hitomi is greeted cheerfully by her current favourite person the following morning. 

 

"morning pinktomi!"

 

hitomi was just about to step foot outside her apartment when sakura called out while closing her gate. hitomi blinks, partly confused because of the new nickname and partly because sakura's in a striped black suit today. she isn't sure which is better— gaining a new nickname (plus a jolly morning greeting) by sakura or the fact that her eyes are able to take in the sight of sakura in suits nearly every morning.

 

(it's been two months yet hitomi is still easily captivated.)

 

"good morning, sakura-san. also, pinktomi?" hitomi questions, letting her door close behind her. she's unable to keep her small smile suppressed from something so simple.

 

sakura shrugs, a corner of her lips lifting up in a lopsided smile. it has hitomi wondering how such a small gesture is enough to make her heart beat abnormally. it's either her neighbour is too attractive for her own good or she's just in too deep. (then there's both, yikes.)

 

"just something i came up with because you know, your hair is pink. it looks really gorgeous on you by the way. i forgot to mention it yesterday." sakura abruptly points out, even giving hitomi a thumbs up (as if her compliment wasn't enough).

 

hitomi's eyes are gaping, not expecting a compliment at all, but luckily she manages to mutter a thanks to sakura for her charming words, even though she ended up stammering. 

 

"oh i, um... t-thank you." hitomi averts her eyes, her fingers suddenly playing with the hem of her jacket. she's well-known for resembling a strawberry, but she really hopes her cheeks aren't literally reflecting the fruit's colour right now.

 

get a grip tomi, she has a girlfriend! how bad is it that she even has remind herself? 

 

when sakura gestures her to come along to take the elevator down together, hitomi timidly follows behind like a lost child. 

 

"sakura-san again? why don't you call me sakuchan? my friends call me that." with a push of a button, sakura calls for the elevator. she turns to face hitomi with a playful look of disapproval when hitomi insisted to be formal with her again.

 

after all, it is her way to compensate for their lack of interaction for the past two months. and all it took was a cat to break into her home. just the thought of yesterday had her chuckling.

 

"okay." hitomi relents.

 

"no morning jog today?" the elevator arrived when sakura had asked, and hitomi is honestly surprised at her query as she got in after sakura.

 

now she has to process the fact that all this time, sakura does notice. it would probably be obvious since she would be in her sportswear most mornings, but still. it comes off as a pure astonishment to hitomi. 

 

truthfully, maru's sleeping soundly at home so she's going out to restock on cat food as well as her morning coffee. (she has dozens of photos of maru sleeping in her gallery she swears its flooding.)

 

hitomi must have been staring at sakura weirdly because she got called out for it. sakura's chuckling only made her even more flustered. 

 

"hey now, why are you looking at me like that?"

 

hitomi immediately shakes her head and frantically waves her hands in front of her face. this morning has been a little too much for her handle, really. don't get her wrong, it's been tickling her insides actually.

 

"it's nothing! i just didn't think..."

 

"hiichan, we live next door and see each other almost every morning. you don't think i'd at least know?" sakura narrows her eyes at her with incredulity, an arm on her hip. 

 

"i'm kind of jealous you know," but then sakura breaks into a smile again, looking forward. the elevator door opens and they step out promptly. 

 

"...of what?" hitomi raises her brows, trying to think of what sakura would be jealous of her for. if anything, hitomi believes she's the one who should be jealous of her own neighbour. (or her neighbour's lover perhaps.)

 

sakura places a hand on her chin, her eyes drifting up as she thought of her words. hitomi's nervous, well she has been the whole time but it's a little nerve-wracking to hear what sakura has to say about her. she thought about the things about herself that sakura would possibly envy, but the only thing she can come up with was having an adorable pet.

 

when sakura was done pondering, she grins widely at hitomi. and... hitomi might be mistaken but is that awe reflecting in her big brown eyes? 

 

"well, you have a great physique. and that's from all the effort you put into exercising. you probably have healthy meals too. meanwhile, i barely have the time. i'm probably as strong as a twig." sakura laughs at the end as she jokes about herself, but hitomi forces out a little smile.

 

a part of hitomi wants to tell her that she's just the same, putting in a lot of effort in her job. too much maybe, that all hitomi wants is for her to go on a healing break because sometimes, life can get exhausting. there's the possibility of even getting tired of doing the things you love. 

 

that's scary. hitomi thinks. she doesn't want that.

 

"anyway, we'll have to part ways now. see you, hiichan." sakura ambles forward, giving hitomi a little wave. 

 

but before she could go on any further, hitomi speaks up. surprisingly, she doesn't stutter.

 

"sakuchan," it feels foreign when it rolls off her tongue for the first time, but she likes it and she's sure she would get used to it. 

 

it was just yesterday when they got to know each other officially but hitomi already feels like a close friend of hers. perhaps sakura just has the natural ability to make her surroundings feel like so. small talks with sakura is enough to colour her monotonous days.

 

"hm?" when sakura turns, her ponytail whirls behind her. and with the morning rays brilliantly shining on her, they only seem to enhance her incomparable beauty.

 

it's exactly like those cliché scenes which hitomi has seen a myriad of times— she thought all of them were too exaggerating, but she gets it now. it grew unbearable she became tight-lipped, doesn't even realise she's balled her hands into fists. then she bows her head— an excuse to veil her rosy cheeks.

 

"i'm glad we're able to talk like this."

 

hitomi stayed like that for a little while, until she feels a light pat on her head, and her heart just explodes with all the inexplicable mushy feelings. wasn't she positive it would be a shortlived crush before? well, .

 

"me too. i'm happy you dropped the formalities but... your bows are unnecessary. i get embarrassed too you know."

 

hitomi is beyond delighted to finally be able to converse comfortably with sakura. no more bland, awkward greetings. 

 

and god, sakura is definitely making it hard for her by throwing compliments at her like that... 

 

.

 

hitomi's morning had been all sunshines and rainbows. she didn't even realise she had this idiotic, broad grin spread on her lips the whole time she went out (until her cheeks got tired). 

 

maru's cute and playful, only in the mornings though. but when it comes to sun down, said cute little rascal gets a handful sometimes. 

 

and now hitomi is in the middle of a scavenger hunt inside her own house, searching in little nooks and crannies. it puzzles her because she knows she keeps all the doors and windows locked, did she overlook something? apparently, maru has a secret exit and hitomi needs to find out where. 

 

unsuccessful in locating the sly kitten, hitomi huffs. she brings her hair up in a low ponytail, even with the ac on, it's a bit hot. (she did search her entire house.)

 

"i take a five minutes nap and now she's nowhere to be seen." hitomi sighs in defeat, concerned for her little companion's being.

 

maru always returns but nonetheless, she's still a growing kitten so it makes hitomi worry more. she wouldn't be able to forgive herself if something terrible were to happen to her.

 

hitomi's eyes scan around her house once more and she can't seem to fathom where maru could have possibly sneak out from. that was until she did a double take at her balcony, where a part of her beige curtains flowed gently due to the small opening of the balcony doors.

 

bingo. but wait, if maru had snuck out through the balcony... she couldn't have possibly jumped down a whole four floors right? hitomi refuses to believe the 'cats always land on their feet' theory. maru's a kitten for goodness' sake!

 

could the balcony also be the possible route for maru's break-in yesterday?

 

she jumped from my balcony to sakuchan's?!

 

just as hitomi thought about the worst, the bell sounds. she rushes to open the door, only to be met with her pet— which she had been so deathly worried about— nesting in her neighbour's arms (again).

 

"sakuchan!"

 

“seems like your feline friend here really likes invading my home." ah, there's that charming smile of hers again.

 

is it bad that hitomi is envious of her cat? 

 

"maru-chan?! i thought you were sleeping!" hitomi frowns, feeling both relief and anger washing over her when she sets her eyes on maru.

 

the kitten still had the audacity to stretch before leaping off of sakura's arms effortlessly then sauntering inside. hitomi glued her eyes on maru as she went in, in case she had any more sneaky ideas to escape. she relaxes when she sees maru playing with her toys.

 

"she was, on my couch. i was just about to enter the shower when i saw her getting comfy there. hope you don't mind me letting her stay for a while." sakura elaborated, deliberately leaving out the part where she had played with maru for a while, maybe cuddled with the little critter for a minute or so... she promises she has her reasons. 

 

embracing maru's soft and fluffy frame just made her night a bit better. long story short, work has been gnawing at her and to make things worse, her relationship has crumbled completely. the one thing she thought would be her pillar of support and provide her happiness amidst all the chaos, just slipped through her fingers like sand. 

 

sakura had been crying in the shower, but her neighbour doesn't need to know that (she doesn't want to scare her either). hitomi is bound to address her about her swollen eyes once she notices though.

 

with sakura mentioning about recently getting out of the shower, only then hitomi realises that her hair is damp, and she's dressed in casual wear. hitomi had to resist the urge to run her eyes up and down, especially not when her neighbour's looking down in the dumps despite putting up a façade.

 

"i'm terribly sorry! i hope maruchan didn't cause any trouble..." hitomi apologises first and foremost, clasping her hands in front of her face. 

 

"no worries, she seemed in love with my couch the whole time. i'd say she likes me too but that would just be flattering myself." sakura laughs dryly.

 

hitomi isn't oblivious enough to notice her humorless chuckle. she arches a brow when sakura slightly tilts her head and glances inside her humble abode. the dim smile drawn on her lips after has hitomi's worry surging.

 

“looks cozy inside.” unlike her dull and lonely interior, hitomi's has much more warm and bright colours, looking homey and pleasant. 

 

there's definitely more décors compared to her forsaken place, the little ornaments lining the shelves, the unique lightings, sakura reckons there would be more inside. 

 

just looking in would put one in tranquility.

 

meanwhile, hitomi's lips curl upwards, eyebrows creasing. just this morning sakura had been lively, what happened that took away her lovely smile?

 

sakura shifts awkwardly in her spot when hitomi's eyes scanned her, her gaze filled with genuine concern. under hitomi's eyes, she feels open. there's no use hiding her emotions in front of someone perceptive, she thinks.

 

“sorry... i’ve been a little out of it.” sakura admits, turning away with embarrassment, looking stiff. she sounded so dejected that it pricks hitomi's heart.

 

hitomi has a hunch, something related to sakura's relationship. similar to the day before, sakura got back earlier than usual today. the only difference was that hitomi heard her raising her voice when she came home, most probably into the phone. she hadn't meant to hear it, even with the door closed, sakura's voice boomed.  

 

so hitomi doesn't pry— because clearly it's none of her business. the least she can do is to make sakura feel better, draw a smile on her lips once again, erase the gloom on her face, even if only a little. 

 

hitomi parts her lips, hesitating at first, but sakura is obviously in need of comfort so she pushes aside her uncertainty and prioritises the distressed woman standing in front of her doorstep.

 

“you seem tired... would you care for a cup of hot chocolate?” hitomi offers with the most gentle voice she could muster. she's been told she makes the best hot chocolates, having the history of working as a barista once in her life. she's thankful it's paying off.

 

“i uh...” sakura appeared genuinely surprised upon hitomi's service, didn't expect any to begin with. did she look that in need of pity?

 

but hitomi's eyes are benign, only then she realises how much she's in need of someone to provide her comfort. and it makes her choke up and her chest squeezes uncomfortably, feeling like a dam is about to burst. she begins to wonder why she hadn't approached hitomi all this time.

 

a tired sigh and sakura eventually gives in to hitomi's kindness.

 

“yes please, a cup of hot chocolate sounds really therapeutic right about now.”

 

if it takes maru and hot chocolates to paint that beautiful smile on her face again, hitomi would go to great lengths just to see it everyday.