One

Hyperoptic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyuhyun sighed as he leaned against the bar staring out at the people talking to each other with a glass of prosecco in their hands. His life couldn't get any better. He had the perfect job, the perfect home and the perfect family. Having completed his studies with top marks, he officially became certified as a doctor - deciding to become a general practitioner whilst also doing further research on the illness that he dedicated his whole final year project to.

Greyscale. It was the shock of millenium when a significant proportion of the population began suffering from sight problems. Half of the adult population could only see in black and white and a lot of people in many different industries had to be dismissed due to their inability to carry out the related tasks. Kyuhyun’s final year project helped discover the true cause of the disease - it had turned out that love was a major factor in determining whether or not a person got the disease or not. As a child, one had the power of love from their parents and so were unaffected. However, once reaching the age of seventeen, the love was not strong enough and the only love that would overcome Greyscale was the love between two non-related people.

During his research on Greyscale, he ended up meeting one of the most important people in his life - Kim Jongwoon. He turned his life upside down all because of a mug of coffee. In hindsight, he was thankful that these events happened because here he was two years down the line with the man he could see himself spending the rest of his life with.

He looked up, staring towards the figure stood on the small platform at the front of the room, his heart swelling with pride. He couldn’t be more proud of Jongwoon. Despite suffering from Greyscale during the period where he was applying to university to study art, he was able to be offered a space at one of the most prestigious universities in Seoul. 

"Thank all of you for kindly attending the opening night of my exhibition - Life with Greyscale. First of all, I want to thank my professors who, despite knowing that I had Greyscale during my university application process felt that I was still capable of becoming an artist. Secondly, I would like to thank Choi Siwon ssi for being my sponsor to allow me to showcase my artwork at this wonderful venue. And finally, I want to thank Kyuhyun ssi for helping me believe in myself when I was questioning my own future as an artist." Jongwoon smiled as he raised his glass of prosecco up in the air, his eye contact focussing on the man at the back. Kyuhyun followed his actions, raising his own glass before taking a sip, staring back at the man he had so deeply fallen in love with.

The crowd of people dispersed as they began walking around the room with paintings of daily life. The pictures ranged from generic objects to personal images, some of which Kyuhyun couldn’t help but cringe at - however the memories of the story behind them made his heart flutter.

The room was separated into two parts - half was when Jongwoon first got Greyscale and was only willing to test his painting skills with black and white paints. However, as he got more confident and willing to test different techniques, he allowed colour into his work. This led to more abstract looking images as Jongwoon was never completely sure what colour he was using. One of Kyuhyun’s favourite paintings was a vase of sunflowers that Jongwoon first painted when he decided to experiment with adding colours in. He would always laugh when he saw the painting

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter