Maybe

Coincidence?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I

 

Wheein was sitting cross legged on a rickety gray chair. The room was full. A little boy was crying two seats away from her, an old man was coughing in front of her. Wheein tried to calm her nerves, hospitals made her skin crawl. She averted her eyes and looked at the white wall behind the old man. She wished for this day to finish.

“Patient Jung Wheein!” A nurse called out. Wheein was grateful to finally stand up after an hour of waiting. She walked beside the nurse who gave her a blank expression.

The nurse guided them to a doctor’s room at the end of the hallway. Wheein read the name of the doctor at the door. Dr. Kim. She hoped that this Kim will be quick as possible. The nurse knocked and ushered her inside, the door was already closed before she can even utter her thanks.

Sitting on a black swivel chair at the end of the room was the said Dr. Kim. Wheein squinted her eyes. The big window at the back of Dr. Kim made her a silhouette. Dr. Kim was scribing on a little notepad. She looked up and saw the hesitant patient. She put down her pen. 

“Please have a sit.” Dr. Kim smiled at Wheein. 
Wheein reluctantly crossed the room and sat at the same gray chair she was sitting outside. At least this one was stable.

Dr. Kim opened a chart and read, “So Wheein-ssi, how can I help you?”

Wheein gulped. It was rare of her to get sick let alone go to a hospital and get a checkup. If she can remember it correctly, the last time she went for a doctor’s appointment was when their pet dog accidentally bit her, ten years ago. She was with her mother by then. Every question was answered by her mother, all she had to do was to offer the bitten leg and accept whatever injection needed. She wet her lips.

“I need a clearance for travel permit,” Wheein croaked out.

Dr. Kim nodded, “Any other health complains, issues, medical history?” 

Wheein fidgeted in her seat still not looking directly at the doctor. “No, nothing. I’m fine.” Wheein eyed the pendulum display on Dr. Kim’s desk.

“That’s good,” Dr. Kim smiled. “But according to your records, it seems that you missed one vaccine.”

Wheein started to feel the room to sway. Why needles always?

Sensing the uneasiness of the patient Dr. Kim stood up. She dusted her spotless white coat and circled her way to the other chair across the patient. “Are you okay?” Dr. Kim touched the patient’s shoulder.

Wheein flinched at the contact coaxing her to look at the doctor now sitting with her. “I’m fine. Hospitals make me nervous,” Her eyes racked the lady doctor in front of her. Pink pastel dress under the white coat matched with doll shoes stilettos. Stethoscope safely dangled at the doctor’s neck. Braided long blonde hair kept meticulously on the other side of Dr. Kim’s shoulder. Wheein never missed the silkiness of the woman’s neck and the slightly low cut of the neckline of the dress. The woman looked like a model of stethoscope or doctor’s coat or hospital. She sure saw one flier of the hospital with Dr. Kim’s face in it. If not, the hospital was not doing it right.

“Ahem,” Dr. Kim cleared . 

Wheein’s eyes flung to the physician’s face, she was met by a tight lipped doctor. 

Wheein sheepishly bowed to her obvious ogling.

Dr. Kim removed her stethoscope from her neck. She stood up and walked to the left side of the room. Dr. Kim opened a curtain exposing an examination bed. 

“Wheein-ssi, please come.”

Wheein sighed and obeyed. She strutted towards the bed. She removed her shoes and climbed the stepping stool.

“Is it okay if you take off your coat?” Dr. Kim turned her back to sanitize her hand.

Wheein nodded to herself. She was wearing a black suit with white oxford shirt. Perhaps she made the wrong decision to wear this combination today. Her white shirt was thinner than the ordinary. Wheein forgot to wear a tank top inside. Dr. Kim would surely see the black laced brassiere she was wearing. She discarded the coat at the foot of the bed.

Dr. Kim turned to face her patient. She stepped forward and closed the curtain giving them complete privacy. She put the stethoscope on Wheein’s chest.

“Take a deep breath,” Dr. Kim instructed.

Wheein inhaled and exhaled. She can feel the coldness of the stethoscope against her skin. She looked at Dr. Kim but the physician had her eyes closed listening intently to her heart. It was a moment for Wheein to adore the long lashes of the doctor. The cute serious expression played on her face. Without opening her eyes Dr. Kim transferred the mouth of the stethoscope to her back.

“Can you exhale once more?” Dr. Kim requested.

Wheein did what she was told not shifting her gaze. Dr. Kim’s lips looked perfect with divine wine lipstick.

“Your heart is racing.” Dr. Kim opened her eyes and stared directly at Wheein. 

“What do you do Wheein-ssi?”

Wheein opened , “I do some Arts.” 

“Really? What’s your favorite piece?” Dr. Kim nodded encouragingly.

“Landscape with the Fall of Icarus,” Wheein replied. She closed her eyes and recalled. “It reminds me that no matter how much we are suffering the world will never stop for anyone. It will still keep spinning even if we are long gone. It’s perfect for the kind of society we have today, people are too focused, too obsessed with looking good, pleasing others, fooling everyone that happiness depends on the likes and comments of other people. Icarus soared high, a farmer or the fishermen might have seen him for a second but the moment they shifted their gaze Icarus was then forgotten. He eventually met his demise, unnoticed by anyone.” Wheein finished her little speech and opened her eyes.

Dr. Kim was looking at her, a soft smile displayed on her lips. “Passion looks good on you Wheein-ssi,” Dr. Kim’s smile widened revealing two dimples at the corner of . “Can you please lie down?”

Again, Wheein nodded and followed. She nervously played with the cuff of her shirt.

“Wheein-ssi, is it okay if you lift your shirt?” Dr. Kim asked.

Wheein stopped moving.

“I have to examine your stomach.”

Wheein tried to pull out the seam of her shirt but the thin clothing was picking up a fight. She had no choice but to open her pants zipper to free the material. 

Dr. Kim was waiting patiently eyes not leaving the patient’s face.

Successful with her task, Wheein lifted her shirt, stopping just below her s. She closed her eyes and waited.

Using her stethoscope Dr. Kim checked Wheein’s stomach. Wheein jolted at the sudden touch of the cold end of stethoscope on her warm skin. “Sorry,” Dr. Kim apologized. “Are you on a diet?”

“No, doctor.” Wheein was too lazy to go on a diet. It was never a problem for her anyway, her metabolism was fast as a horse.

“Then you must have been hitting the gym religiously?” Dr. Kim removed her stethoscope and slung it over her neck.

“I don’t. I try to work out at home,” Wheein answered. She started to feel embarrassed.

“If I got those I wouldn’t be embarrassed. I’d wear crop tops everyday.” Dr. Kim chuckled.

Wheein then felt the doctor’s hand on her stomach. She gently knocked here and there listening to the sound emitted. The heat on Wheein’s face grew warmer. Dr. Kim’s hands were delicate and direct. The doctor’s hands travelled to Wheein’s hypogastric region, the area below her belly button. Wheein was not anticipating the touch and when Dr. Kim did her knocking, Wheein emitted a sound close to a gasp and a moan.

The doctor was alerted by the reaction. “Any pain in this area?” Dr. Kim tapped the region, going a little lower. Her hand was dangerously on top of Wheein’s underwear waistband.

“No, no. No pain. I was just surprised,” Wheein croaked out.

“Are you sure? Don’t lie to doctors Wheein-ssi.”

“Yes, I’m sure.” Wheein swallowed. was definitely dry.

Dr. Kim lifted her hand away from the patient’s skin. Wheein felt cold missing the warmth already. She pulled down her shirt.

“Can you sit up, please?”

Wheein sat up, legs dangled on the bed side. Just when she thought the check up was done, Dr. Kim stepped closer again, this time between her legs, Wheein didn’t have the time to think and just opened her legs wider accommodating the doctor.

Dr. Kim invaded her personal space. Wheein can smell the doctor’s perfum

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter