Pilot

Seoul's Finest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So…” Joohyun mumbles as she steps into the living room, eyes trained onto her scribble-filled notebook. Most of the pages looked like they had been filled by a toddler, much to her dismay (she kind of likes her works organized and neat) but it is a real challenge to jot down notes in time while statements. There are times where she almost chokes down a witness with her pen because damn, try not to rap when answering police questions. “Let’s go down with what happened again. Start from the top.”

“Again? I’ve repeated like… three times already.” Mr Jung, the breaking and entering victim of Joohyun’s current case. “It’s like the two of you are not even trying to help me.”

Joohyun frowns. “And what exactly make you say that?” There is a judging look on Mr Jung’s face, before he snorts and points an accusatory finger to the centre of the living room where Detective Oh Sehun is having the time of his life relaxing on Mr Jung’s massage chair, humming an unknown song. The brunet lady detective smiles apologetically before making her way over to Sehun. She slaps his shoulder, hard, causing the man to literally jump out from his trance. Satisfied, she shows a smug smile then settles on a couch beside the massage chair. “We’re in the middle of a case. Focus.”

“Oh, give me a break. Besides, this is one of the premium super expensive massage chairs which I totally can never afford in this lifetime, thank you very much. Just let me have it some more. I’m sure Mr Jung wouldn’t mind, do you, old man?”

“I’m not old!”

The lady rolls her eyes at both men. Seriously, Mr Jung is only denying that he is not old (which he kind of is, aren’t late forties considered old?) and totally overlooking Sehun lounging on his expensive chair instead of doing his work. “That is beside the point, Detective Oh.”

There was a pregnant pause between the three of them before Sehun dumbly blinks and tilts his head, as if trying to reconnecting some dots. “So… what is?”

Back in the Police Academy, several of the trainees in her batch denied her competence to be a police officer, blame on her lean figure and skeleton fingers but she proved them wrong when one day, she scissor-legged a fellow trainee twice her size during a tactical practice. Not to mention, she aced all sparring classes. It had been a while since she last got into real action and right now Sehun is being very testing and tempting.

“Robbers, stolen money, breaking and entering – any of these jogs your memory?”

“Ah. You mean, my work as detective?” Dear good Lord, Joohyun wants to squash that pretty face of his so much. “Already solved that. I’m just waiting for you to wrap up and so we can drag this scumbag back to the precinct.”

“I…” Both Joohyun and Mr Jung exchange look, surprised with what just came out from the raven-haired detective. “Explain. Now.”

At cue, Sehun jumps out of the super comfortable massage chair with loud displeased groan. He struts to Mr Jung’s side, throws a hand around the man’s shoulders and leans against him. “The reason why we couldn’t find any other set of fresh fingerprints is because this man right here trashed his own apartment and broke his door handle just so it’d look like a breaking and entering.”

“How did you come out with that? Do you have any proof?”

“Yeah! How did you come out with that? Where is the proof?” Now, now, Mr Jung looks really riled up and it rises Joohyun’s suspicions to the roof. The man is visibly shaking and she could tell, Sehun is poking the right spot. Afterall, he is the best detective in their precinct. His gut feeling rarely fails him.

By now, Sehun and standing face to face with Mr Jung. There is a smirk on the raven’s lips. It is honestly on Joohyun’s top ten most annoying things in the world list.

“I’m a detective. I saw right through you.” Another pregnant pause in the living room, Sehun groans and throws his hands up in the air, giving up on being cool. Thank God. “Okay, fine. There’s a hidden camera, kind of like a web cam, plastered on top of his television. I found it when we were sweeping for traces yesterday, watched and found that he trashed the place on his own two days ago. I sent it to Cyber Crime lab.”

“What would you even need that camera for?”

Mr Jung gulps so hard Joohyun could actually hear it from where she is sitting on the couch. It is Sehun who answered her on his behalf.

“Judging from the unknown pile of CDs in his bedroom, hidden inside his closet, I think this old buddy is making his own tape. Some recreational activities to fill in the time, right?”

“But, why’s here in the living room?” Joohyun practically squeaks out the question. She will never get boys. “W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter