Interlude: Spring

Four Seasons: Seasons of Love (VERY SLOW UPDATE)

Today is a special occasion for the strawberry-blonde haired girl who happily runs across the school field to the back building. She's been anticipating for this day to come, and she decided to make this day, today, a memorable for her and to her girlfriend.

Her girlfriend had texted her earlier to meet her after the ceremony. She replied a 'sure. I also have something to give to you' and a smiley to end the text. So here she is, Hirai Momo, humming a happy song whilst hopping, a wide smile painted on her face, a fainted blush from the spring breeze. In her hand is a cylindrical case and on the other is a silver button, she securely holds within her palms.

This sort of tradition is usually done by male students who graduates in highschool where boys give their second button to the person they like. It is to convey the message of the guy that he thinks of her as the most precious person to him. And Hirai Momo, a just now middle school graduate, wants to do it now. She can't wait until high school to prove to her how precious the latter is for her. Besides, she can just give another button of hers when they graduate from high school. Momo loves her that much.

The thought makes Momo giddy as her eyes catches a figure of a girl standing under a cherry blossom tree. Momo halts, taking the sight before her in. The girl has her hands at the back while she looks up at the clear blue sky, her long black hair sways as the wind blows on them and cherry blossoms dance in the air, falling slowly to the ground, and Momo feels like watching a movie by the scenery.

Momo's heart skips a beat when the girl turns to her direction and their eyes meet. Momo runs to her. She hugs the raven haired girl tightly, not too tight, but enough to radiate her warmth to her and loosely enough for her to breathe.

Momo is the first one to pull on the two, smiling at the other girl, who has a small smile. Staring at the beauty before her, she remembers her plan.

Momo clears before opening to speak when the raven beat her to it, "Momo, let's break up."

The blonde's smile slowly fades, fear washes over her. Her feet glued on the ground, words nowhere to find, mind is clouded of thoughts of the reasons why. Momo's whole system seems to stop functioning.

She thanks God when a strained laugh comes out , feeling the pain vibrates through . Coaxing a steady voice she says, "That was the best joke I've ever heard, Mina," while wiping a tear forming her eyes.

The girl, Mina, just stares at her and Momo mirrors her. Is this some kind of prank? Because, dude, Mina is nailing this. She studies Mina's expression expecting a sudden burst of laughter from her but comes none, moreover she continues sporting a serious face, the small smile had faded a while ago, eyes looking straight at the now teary eyed Momo.

"No way-" Momo shakes her head.

"Whether you like it or not, I'm ending this now," Mina says in a sterned voice.

Momo scowls at this. She can't believe what she hears from Mina. "Seriously, you're deciding it for yourself? Mina, I thought you're smart, a break up should be agreed by the two parties."

"I decided this for the two of us."

That's bull, Momo curses on her mind. How could Mina decide on her own without considering her?

"Are you kidding me?" She voices that thought on her mind.

Mina stays in silent, just looking at Momo blankly. Momo closes her eyes as she calms her trembling hands, which is holding the button. She let out a shaky breath then asks quietly, "why?"

"I'm sorry," Mina bows to Momo before turning on her heels and walks without waiting for Momo's response.

Momo assumes Mina didn't hear her and so, she asks again with a loud voice enough for her and Mina to hear. She opens her eyes to see Mina a few steps away from her standing while Mina's back is facing her.

Despite the sound of classical music coming from the wall speaker, Momo can still hear her heart shutters inside her chest, loud and clear, at Mina's words.

"Because I don't love you anymore."

The wind breezes, touching Momo's face with cold air. The petals once again dances in the air, swinging, as it slowly lays down on the cemented ground the same time Momo's world completely crumbles down.

She feels a warm liquid on her face. Those are the tears she tries suppressing earlier and now they breaks out from her eyes, falling freely without her consent. She wipes her face, stopping it from falling but fails.

The blonde wants to repeat her question but is afraid to hear the same response. She wants to ask on how the raven fell out of love of her. Momo wants to ask Mina on why she fell out of love her. How can Mina said those words if all Mina did was to show her affection to the blonde, taking care of her, being all lovey-dovey and--

"If you don't love me, then tell it to my face and look me straight in the eye."

Mina remains quiet. Momo feels herself burning from anger, pain has long gone. Thoughts are still running on her mind -- what about the kisses they shared before they parted yesterday? The exchanged of I love you's they said last night before they head to bed? What about those--?

"Stop being coward and face me!" Momo shouts. She wants Mina to clarify her words. Momo wants Mina to secure her with her love.

"It's because I don't wanna see your face anymore," Mina answers in a tone Momo is not familiar at all. It is void of any emotion, cold like an ice, as sharp as the stakes that piercing through Momo's heart, making her numb. "From today onwards" Mina adds.

Ah, were those just an act? And Mina was just going with the flow because she couldn't tell Momo she doesn't love her anymore.

But, why?

But, why?

But-

An image of Mina's gummy smile flashes on her mind and Momo's grip on the button tightens, turning her knuckles to white, as she heaves a sigh.

She could vividly hear her own voice on her mind making promises and sharing dreams with the other girl.

Hirai Momo collects herself, wipes her tears that still keeps on streaming, and lets out a genuine smile although Mina's not looking at her. She manages not to sob through her speech of farewell to Mina, wishing her a good luck.

"Okay," Momo starts in a quiet voice barely even whisper, "If that's what you really want then fine. I can't hold you back from your happiness. All I want for you is to be happy," Momo had dreams and that is for Mina to be happy, because Mina's happiness is Momo's happiness.

"Just take good care of yourself, and I'll take care of myself too, for you are not here anymore to do that for me," Momo laughs, her voice breaks, and she bites her lips to suppress another sob. Blinking a few tears, she swallows the lump blocking . The strawberry-blonde knows she's going to break down if she doesn't end this as soon as possible,

"I wish you good luck, Mitang." Momo ends her speech with a smile even Mina is not looking.

"I wish you the same, Momo-san."

Momo watches Mina walks away as she clutches her chest with the hand holding her small gift for the former.

---

This has been on my drafts and hopefully I can update on this story too. Thank you. I hope you like it!