fin.

[As You Walk On By, Will You] Call My Name
Please log in to read the full chapter

Eunhee was casually placing the mochi donuts out on to one of the display windows when the next song playing through the speakers throughout the cafe caught her attention. She paused in mid-motion with the tongs still holding one of the mochi donuts to listen to the song as the male's voice put her in to some sort of trance. Somehow it took her back to nostalgic moments she didn't realize she had within her memory of an unknown man.

~I'll give you the nervous feelings I've hidden~

"Yah! Stop calling me hamster, Eunhee. Do I look like one to you? Don't answer that. It was just a rhetorical question. I seriously do not look like Hamtaro. How can you even say I resemble a hamster?"

~Your beauty moved my coldness~

"See, this is why Eunhee and I are close in the first place. She at least knows I'm allergic to metal and have sensitive skin unlike you unruly brats I've known since primary school!'

~I'll open up my tightly shut feelings to you~

"At least I don't snore like you, Eunhee, and in class. Ah! Ah! Ah! Eunhee, stop. I was just joking. I'm, sorry, Eunhee, it was just a joke. Ahhhhh!"

~Your love gave your strong personality a purpose~

"You know you can always ask me for help, Eunhee, if you don't understand something. I am a genius, y'know."

~I didn't at first, but now I can feel your presence~

"I learned Chinese for five years, Eunhee. Don't think that I don't know that you're badmouthing me over there with the foreign exchange students."

~As time passes, I'm changing more and more~

"If your hand and my hand are placed just right like this, then they're a perfect fit just like how you and I are."

So lost in her thoughts with the melody of the song drawing her further into her mind, Eunhee didn't realize she had spaced out. It wasn't until she was startled back to reality when the tray that held the mochi donuts slipped from out of her grip and clattered against the tiled floor. She winced while massaging her forehead with her now free hand. Eunhee tried to understand what this may mean, but she didn't have time to ponder when one of her co-workers, Soojung, called out to her.

"Hey, Eunhee, are you okay?"

Soojung rushed over to Eunhee and helped her up. Eunhee slighly shook the thoughts away while glancing at the now inedible mochi donuts as Soojung helped her up. Eunhee let out a sigh with a slight pout while crouching back down to pick up the damaged goods.

"Hey, hey," Soojung pulled Eunhee back up and turned Eunhee to face her, "Those can wait and you can't. Are you okay? How are you feeling?"

"I, I think so. I just..." Eunhee trailed off not sure how to word what she had just experienced right now.

Soojung regarded her friend for a bit before leading her to one of the tables and settling Eunhee there.

"You can take your break now. I'll clean up for you and have Jiae make some more in the mean time while Jisoo will put out the rest of the goods in your place."

"Thanks, Soojung. I'm sorry ab-"

"Don't be sorry, Eunhee. Just rest and I'll have Jiyeon bring you something to eat and drink, too."

"You're the best."

Eunhee smiled at her friend who patted her head before leaving to clean up the mess. Eunhee gazed out the large window and watched the people walk on by. She was left alone with her thoughts and couldn't help it, but to think who the male was in her memories. She couldn't recall his name nor any of the people she's met in real life either. He wasn't a regular at Lovelinus so she wondered if he was someone from her school days or a childhood friend. As Eunhee pondered on it some more the more the unknown man's face disappeared from her mind altogether. Before she could try to recall him again, Eunhee was snapped out of her thoughts when she heard a woman's voice say her name in a questioning tone.

"Eunhee? Is it really you, Lee Eunhee?"

Eunhee's attention went to the woman, but upon gazing at the unfamiliar woman there was no recollection of who she may be to Eunhee.

"Yes?" She answered with confusion, but a polite smile on her face. "How may I help you?"

"You're alive." The woman whispered inaudibly with widened eyes, but Eunhee still heard her yet was confused by the statement.

"Excuse me?"

"I can't believe you're still alive."

"Wait a minute. What are you talking about? Do I know you?"

"I, I-"

The woman didn't finish her sentence as she quickly her heels and left the store in a hurry, but not before taking another curious glance back at Eunhee. Eunhee's brows furrowed wondering what that was all about before hearing something being set on the table before her.

"Oh, hi Jiyeon." She greeted her fellow co-worker.

"Hi." Jiyeon greeted back with a soft smile. "I got your favorite Goldenness Cupcake and a glass of the Rocket Pink Punch."

Eunhee smiled as she took a sip of the juice as Jiyeon regarded her friend a bit.

"How are you feeling?" Jiyeon asked with a worried expression. "Do you wanna take the rest of the day off?"

"No. I'm fine. It's probably because I didn't eat anything when I woke up this morning."

"Okay, but let us know if you'll like to go home."

"Will do."

Just as Jiyeon was about to leave, Eunhee called her back.

"Oh, wait. Jiyeon."

"Hmm?"

"Do you perhaps recognized that woman who just came in a moment ago?"

"Woman?"

Jiyeon faced the door with a thoughtful look.

"I don't think so. Why?"

Eunhee dismissed the topic with a sheepish laugh.

"Oh, nothing. Never mind. Thank you."

"You're welcome."

Jiyeon smiled at her friend before turning away. Eunhee's attention went back to watching the people outside the store's window as she ate a delicious spoonful of the fruit parfait while recalling the small incident a while ago. Who was the woman? Why did she look like she just saw a ghost? Who was the man in those memories? Who's memories were those? Could they really be hers if she couldn't even recall them? So many thoughts fluttered across Eunhee's mind that another headache came upon her and she winced trying to withstand the pain. Maybe she should go home and take a rest for the day.

Two days have passed and Eunhee was back at work in good condition or so she claimed. She was softly humming once again to the music playing within the shop while putting more items onto the displays. Although she didn't think much about the woman from the other day she did have dreams about the same unknown man. Although she would try to recall the nameless man to think about him, but his face would soon go blank and she was left wondering if she just imagined the whole thing. Her attention was drawn away from the glass counters when the bell chimed indicating a customer had entered the store.

"Good afternoon and welcome to lovely Lovelinus." Eunhee greeted the guest sweetly as she briefly glanced up to gaze at the person before returning them back onto the dessert. "I'll be with you in one moment."

Just as she had picked up one of today's featured cupcake, Candy Jelly Love, with her tongs she accidentally dropped the item in mid-transfer onto the floor when the male customer had said something that distracted her.

"Jieun wasn't lying. You are alive."

"Excuse me?"

The male eyes widened before recovering his composure as he looked at the menu board.

"Oh yeah. Um, could I get a dozen of the 'Candy Jelly Love' cupcakes, please. Oh and a half of dozen of 'Twinkle' along with a half of dozen of the 'Shooting Star' as well. My kids just won their soccer match today and I wanted to treat them to something sweet before they go back home."

"Oh sure and congratulations on the win." Eunhee replied as she went about setting up his order.

While Eunhee was working on boxing the twenty-four cupcakes the male customer couldn't stop staring. She looked the same as she had four years ago, except she didn't recognized him nor Jieun. His brows furrowed wondering if she wouldn't recognized his friend either and if that was the case he wasn't sure if he should tell him.

"Alright, they're all set." Eunhee said as she placed the two boxes atop one another. "That'll be 72,000W, please."

The male handed over his card and Eunhee swiped it before handing it back to him with a smile.

"Thank you for buying at Lovelinus. Have a lovely and sweet day."

"Ah, thank you. You have a lovely and sweet day, too."

He stalled for a bit without taking his purchases and Eunhee tilted her head curiously. Before she could ask if he needed anything else the male quickly picked up the boxes and left with a small smile. Eunhee went back to doing what she was doing until she overheard the conversation of one of her co-workers, Mijoo, having a conversation with the male customer.

"Oh, Woohyun. Hi. How are you?" Mijoo greeted him warmly before noticing the pinkish-purple packages.

She pointed at them with a grin.

"So the kids did win today. Dad wouldn't stop talking about it as he called me about the whole thing to gloat or whatever."

"I know. Coach Lee is a tough instructor, but he has the best interest for the kids at heart." Woohyun stated with a smile.

"Very true. Anyways, Woohyun, I'll let you go. Say hi to Lucia for me."

"Will do, Mijoo. Bye."

"Buh-bye."

Once Woohyun walked out of Lovelinus, Mijoo turned her attention towards Eunhee to greet her fellow co-worker when she froze in mid-greeting upon seeing Eunhee slowly fall over with the 'Candy Jelly Love' goods falling around Eunhee's body.

"Eunhee!"

"Hey, Eunhee!"

A woman around Eunhee's age called out to her while coming out of the dressing room.

"What about this outfit?"

The woman spun around showing off the outfit for Eunhee's opinion.

"It looks great, Lucia! Woohyun would love it!"

Eunhee approved with a thumbs up before holding up two outfits for Lucia's opinion.

"Now how about me? Which one would suit the ocassion because I have no idea which one to choose?"

Lucia studied the two outfits before pointing to Eunhee's left.

"That one. Go with that one. I'm for sure feeling that one. It has to be that one because _____ would love it!"

Eunhee thoughtfully glanced at the outfit to her left before nodding in agreement with a smile.

"I think so, too, Lucia! Thanks!"

"You're welcome because he won't be able to take his eyes off of you the whole night if you wear that to Saturday's event. Plus you guys can finally get past all of this lovey-dovey puppy love stage thing that you guys got going."

"Oh, please, stop. It's not even like that. We're just taking it slow since we've been friends for a while and now we're sort of a couple. We're trying to get use to that stage in our relationship."

"Uh, huh. Whatever. Wear that dress and y'all be skipping some stages in your relationship."

Eunhee just rolled her eyes at her friend's word, but a sheepish smile graced her lips.

Eunhee awoke from her sleep and closed her eyes once again due to the brightness of the white room. Blinking a few times to adjust to the brightness, Eunhee wondered what had happened and why was she here. The only thing she could recall was that she was at work putting out the 'Candy Jelly Love' cupcakes and now she was here. A sudden thought flashed across her mind and she remembered the dream or was it a flashback she just had right now. It had to do with the man that came in to Lovelinus named Woohyun who was connected to this Lucia.

She shook the thoughts away as a slight headache came upon her. She closed her eyes to ease the pain before it subsided and re-opened her eyes again. Eunhee turned her head to look about her surrounding and realized she was in a hospital room. She heard slight snoring and gazed to her right side where her eyes landed upon her brother who was fast asleep on the chair at her bedside. She called his name with confusion.

"Kyunsung?"

Eunhee tried to rise from the bed, but she felt too sore and let out a small hiss of pain. The sound caused Kyunsung to stir awake immediately. He drowsily looked about his surrounding before taking note of his sister's awakening.

"You're finally awake." He stated with a relieved look.

He quickly checked over his sister to make sure she was alright.

"How are you feeling? Hurt? Okay? Do you remember me?"

Eunhee laughed upon hearing the last question.

"Of course I remember you, Kyunsung. Why would you ask that question?"

Kyunsung grew embarrassed and rubbed the back of his neck laughing anxiously.

"Just making sure is all since you've been out of it for three days now."

"Three days?!" Eunhee gasped in shocked. "What happened to me?"

"Mijoo said you fainted at work. Are you stressed or something?" Kyunsung asked worried. "I heard you weren't feeling well since Wednesday. Do you need a break from working? Maybe go do some sight-seeing out of country or something along those lines? I have a lot of vacation days saved up."

Eunhee shook her head.

"No, I'm fine. It's no big deal. Really. I might just be overworking myself. That's all."

"Are you sure? I mean it's not a big deal if you stop working, Eunhee."

She shook her head again with a smile.

"I'm fine, Kyunsung. Really."

 Silence fell upon the siblings before Eunhee gazed at her brother curiously.

"Hey, do you happen to know someone name Lucia or Woohyun?"

Kyunsung was startled for a second, but recovered and denied knowing the two people in a casual tone.

"Lucia and Woohyun? Not that I recall. Why do you ask?"

Eunhee shook her head dismissing the topic.

"It's nothing. So can I go home?"

"Oh yeah, I need to get the doctor. Hang in tight and he'll let you know."

Kyunsung left to find her doctor while Eunhee glanced around her surrounding again.

"Was it just my imagination?" Eunhee asked herself before recalling the dream again.

She frowned as she clearly heard the name of 'Lucia' and 'Woohyun' yet she wasn't able to hear the name of the person that Lucia had mention.

"Who is he and why can I recall everyone's names, but his?"

It was another three days before Eunhee was allowed to return to work and be out of the house again.

"Sheesh. It's like I'm being treated like some kind of child who just started kindergarten, Yein." Eunhee complained to her co-worker as the duo were wiping down the counters, display cases, tables, and other things within the store. "Kyunsung barely lets me outta the house until the doctor gave the okay to let me get fresh air."

"He's just being an overprotective brother, Eunhee." Yein stated with a laugh while wiping down one side of the shop's windows. "You can't blame him for that."

"I know, but still," She pouted as she continued to complain, "I'm a grown woman."

"Are you sure? Last time I've checked you cried over having to make the Strawberry Candy macarons earlier." Yein teased as Eunhee pouted further.

"Because those are tricky to make! I'm not as good as Jiae, but it was supposed to be Myungeun's job to do them not me."

"Yes, yes, but Myungeun had other things to do."

"Why didn't you make them?"

"Because Soojung didn't assign me the task."

"Brat."

Yein just laughed in response. Eunhee was about to speak again when the bell chimed to indicate a customer had entered.

"Good morn-"

The duo stopped in mid-greeting when the bell chimed not even a second later and the customer had walked out.

"Sheesh, what was his deal?" Yein muttered as she had saw the customer while Eunhee's back was facing the door and so didn't see the person.

"What's wrong?" Eunhee asked while turning around.

"The guy that had just walked in right now. He looked like he saw something he didnt want to see and walked out or something like that." Yein explained.

"Oh, maybe he entered the wrong shop?" Eunhee casually explained. "We are in-between a cat cafe and a clothing store."

Yein disagree with a shake of her head.

"No, it didn't seem like that."

Eunhee shrugged indifferently not replying before catching a glimpse of the said man's back through the large windows of Lovelinus. She thought nothing of it and resumed working. On the other hand, the person who had entered the store a moment before and left as quickly as he had entered was none other than the man plaguing Eunhee's mind. His name was Kim Sunggyu and his sister, Jieun, and best friend, Woohyun, informed him about Eunhee's well-being and total aliveness. Although he showed up, he just couldn't go through with it. He was too scared to meet her again.

"I can't do it." Sunggyu muttered to himself with despair. "I can't just go in and ruin her life all over again. Not even when she can't remember, but I do."

Sunggyu sighed as he walked away and back to his own life.

Over the next two weeks Eunhee began experiencing more headaches although they were minor and didn't cause her to faint like last time. These flashbacks were triggered by things she wasn't aware of that would bring back the memories when they didn't bother before. One incident was when she visited a pet shop with her friends and upon spotting several hamsters it triggered to various memories of the same male being called 'hamster'. Another time was when Eunhee watched and heard a live band play at this pub one night it triggered to the same male with memories of his own band playing to the likes of Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit.

There was even a time when Eunhee was watching a superhero movie where one of the characters teleported and a memory came about a discussion of powers with the male popped up in her head. Eunhee wasn't sure why all of this was suddenly happening to her and when she asked Kyunsung about it he would tell her he had no idea about them. She assumed it was just her mind being overacted and that her nightly dreams were becoming daydreams. Because ever since that day, Eunhee has been constantly dreaming about the unknown and nameless man, but it wasn't enough to stir anything within her mind to recall who he was though. Until one day a little more occur for her to go on.

"Don't forget to meet me after your last class today at the main gate, okay?" The male informed Eunhee with a knowing look. "It's a surprise, so don't forget."

She nodded earnestly at him wondering what surprised he had for her before waving him a goodbye as he rushed off to his class after walking her to her own class.

"He's so silly." Eunhee chuckled to herself as she entered her class and sat by one of her good best friends, Ahyoung.

"So, _____ walked you to your class again this morning?" Ahyoung casually asked her friend despite the way her eyes shifted uncomfortably to which Eunhee didn't catch at all as she was busy getting her materials. "He's been doing that since high school, huh?"

"Yeah, I believe so. Anyways, he wants to meet after my last class. He wanted to show me something. He said it's some sort of surprise or something."

"Show you something? A surprise? Like what?"

Ahyoung asked eagerly although Eunhee was nonchalant about it.

"Not sure, honestly. _____ said it's a surprise. He was being all secretive about it. Even the boys tried to spill the beans, but he kept shushing them. It's kinda weird since he's not normally like that."

Eunhee giggled at the memory while Ahyoung joined in on the laughter with less enthusiasm, but she soon frowned afterwards.

"Anyways, Ahyoung, did you hap-"

Ahyoung tuned out what Eunhee was trying to ask her as she caught sight of something pretty on Eunhee's right wrist.

"Where did you get that?" She asked her friend as Eunhee stopped talking with a confused expression before following where Ahyoung was pointing to.

Eunhee looked down at her right wrist and spot the rhodium cuff bracelet that _____ had given to her the day before yesterday.

"Oh, this? Well, _____ gave it to me on our outing the other day. To celebrate our one hundred days or something like that."

"Your hundred days? Wait. Are the two of you are dating now?" Ahyoung questioned with a disbelief tone before muttering the last part. "Why would he date someone like you when he's known me just as long as you?"

Eunhee didn't catch the last bit and furrowed her brows.

"What was the last part?"

"Oh, um, congratulations. Just never thought the two of you would be dating."

"Oh, haha, me, too. I didn't know he liked me like that."

"Maybe because you tricked him." Ahyoung mumbled to herself bitterly."And you knew that I had sort of a thing for him."

"What was that?" Eunhee asked innocently with a tilt of her head.

Ahyoung shot her friend a feigned smile.

"I asked where the two of you are meeting again?"

"Oh. At the main gate."

"When's your last class again?"

"At around two-thirty."

"Do you know what kind of surprise it would be?"

Eunhee shook her head.

"No clue, but I'll let you know when I see it."

"Not if you never find out."

Ahyoung muttered to which again Eunhee was unable to hear and comprehend.

Eunhee suddenly jolted awake, but soon lied back down while looking up at the ceiling with a deep sigh and ran a lazy hand across her face.

"Who's Ahyoung? I don't know anyone with that name. Right?"

She questioned while lifting up her right arm to gaze at her empty wrist curiously.

"Was there a bracelet that used to be here?"

Eunhee brushed the thoughts away as she looked over at her night stand for the time. It was eleven-oh-nine in the morning and her day off. Eunhee guessed that she wouldn't be sleeping in further and got up to go about her day. Eunhee planned on doing some early Christmas shopping to get it done and over with. 

"And that should be everyone.I think."

Eunhee smiled with a chuckle following a second later after having checked off her list for those that she was buying Christmas gifts for. She edited the memo app she was using as she muttered to herself while exiting a boutique and paused to stand on the sidewalk in front of another boutique.

"Just need to buy something for Kyunsung, Youngtaek, Juri, Seungmin, Bomin, and Yeonhee. I can do tha-"

Eunhee was interrupted when someone called her name questioningly.

"Eunhee?"

Eunhee looked up and turned to her right to stare at a woman around her age.

"Lee Eunhee?"

This was the third time that this has happened and Eunhee wondered why people were starting to recognize her, but she couldn't recognized them.

"Yes, but who are you?"

The other woman's face broke out into a wide smile upon guessing right.

"It's me!"

Eunhee still cast her a confused expression as the other woman laughed nervously.

"Ahyoung. Baek Ahyoung. Does the name ring a bell to you?"

Ahyoung walked closer and Eunhee was still clueless before the dream from this morning came back to her. She wasn't sure if she should mention it or play along or just continued with not knowing who she was.

"I'm sorry. I don't recall."

Ahyoung frowned, but then her facial expression became sad with realization.

"Oh, right. The accident caused you to lose your memories."

"My memories? You know about my accident? What do you mean it caused me to lose my memories?"

"You don't remember?" Ahyoung asked surprised before comprehending it. "That's why you don't remember me."

"I don't remember what? Who are you?" Eunhee questioned as the curiosity of it all was getting to her. "What do you know that I don't know?"

Ahyoung was about to reply, but then stopped. She wondered if she should even bring up the past, but dismissed the idea.

"I think it's better that you don't remember."

Eunhee hurried towards her with an eager look.

"Oh, please tell me. No one seems to know what I'm ta

Please log in to read the full chapter