Fleeting

Moments

She usually goes to the park when it gets rowdy in the dorm. The rest really get giddy sometimes and she just wants some peace and quiet. Well, most of the time. If ever she gets the energy to get out and walk around, she goes out around dusk to evening. People tend to don’t care when they start to go home and she appreciates that. She doesn’t get the looks when people realize who she is.

She has this certain spot in the park by the 3 chaired swing and the seesaw. Walking towards her spot while sipping her favorite drink, she was surprised to see someone sitting on the swing.

“Oh” she thought. “Somebody is here too.” She slowly walks towards the 1st swing and just quietly sat down. The person didn’t even acknowledge her or turned to her. He just sat there quietly looking down, bag on his back. Well, that’s a relief.

Both of them just sat there quietly. And surprisingly, it’s a comfortable silence. Not that awkward silence thing you get when somebody you don’t know is sitting next to you. Maybe he’s lost in his own thoughts. Or maybe he just doesn’t care. She glances at him from time to time. He’s not your typical guy. Long hair, all let down and kind of messy. Sharp jaw line with the afternoon shadow. Serious looking, his expression all serious and unbreaking. Toned arms. Maybe he does athletic stuff. That’s why he has a bag. Just got from training? She wonders. He’s old. But not THAT old. He moves a bit, here and there, rubbing his hands, circling his wrists, clenches his fists from time to time. She suddenly realizes and she went back to his face. A small cut, some bruises on the cheek, near one eye. She lets out a soft gasp. “He’s hurt.” The last part seemed to come out a little louder than expected because that made him snap out of his reverie. He turns to her.

“Oh. Annyeong. I didn’t realize you were there. Is this your spot? I’m sorry if I’m intruding. I’ll go.” He said with a bow. He was about to stand up.

“No. Please. I’m the one who should be sorry. You were so deep in thought I think I’m the one who was intruding.” She replied. He smiled weakly and looked away. Well, that was a cute smile.

“Ah. No. No. No. No. It’s ok. I tend to space out sometimes. Especially when I’m tired and all that. I’m sorry with that.”

Some comfortable silence passed and she just sits there and sips her drink. Glances at him again and then he catches her. “What is it?”

She felt her cheeks burn when he catches her looking. “It’s just that..” she started while motioning to her face.

“Oh. This? Got this from training. You must’ve thought I’m some kind of a thug or gang member or something. Sorry if I scared you.” He said with a bow. Whoa. Definitely athletic.

“Training? Like boxing?” she wonders while doing some punching gestures. He smiles again while looking at her punching the air.

“Yeah. Something like that. I do some stuff after work to release some stress. Just to keep me sane for the next day. And then after that, just go here for some peace and quiet.” He’s just like me. He just wants some quiet time.

“But is it ok? I mean, for you to get hurt like that?” she asks. It’s kind of weird she feels some genuine concern for this person.

“Yeah. It’s all good. I’m used to the pain. I’m used to getting hurt.” He chuckles. Some kind of weird punchline.

“Oh! Wait!” she exclaimed while pointing at his face. He looks surprised and then rubs his cheek. He wipes a bit of blood from the small cut.

“Ah. Don’t mind this. It’s ok. Just a small cut.” He answers. She reaches for her pocket and pulls out her white handkerchief. She offers it to him. He looks at it surprised.

“No. No. No. No. Don’t worry! It’s ok! I’m good! And it’s white. Blood will definitely mess that one.” Waving his hand in protest but she still sticks it out.

“I insist. Just to keep it clean at least.” She reaches out her hand to the empty second swing. He reaches it for it reluctantly.

“Gamsahamnida. You shouldn’t have. Really.” He presses it on his cheek and looks at it. A crimson red line stained the white handkerchief with an embroidered letter “M” on it. The scent is heavenly, he thought. That brought him back to his senses. “You like coming here too?” he asked. She smiles at him.

“Yeah. The girls at the dorm get noisy sometimes and I just want to get away. Just for some quiet time before all the work begins again.” She answered. It’s the first time he looked at her and she looks pretty. No, she doesn’t even fit that description. Beautiful is much more fitting. And that smile. It’s a gummy smile but she looks cute with that. Stop staring.

“Living with all girls, huh?” he said.

“Yeah. 9 including me.” She replied. He made that woah face and mouthed “9”.

“That’s crazy. Good thing you guys get along well.” While imagining how it’s like living with 9 girls. She looks away smiling, lost in some thought.

“We’re living together for a long time now, we’re like sisters. But sometimes, you just need some alone time. Just to get away from it all.” She replies while looking at him now. He’s keeping a straight face but deep inside he’s taking in all her beauty. I said stop staring. He looks away.

“That’s why you go here. I understand that feeling. This place is really quiet during this time. The kids already home, people just walking by going about their business. Nobody would go here during this time. Then it’s just you and your thoughts and ideas, what ifs, could haves, and what nots.” He chuckles again to himself.

“Yeah. And you could just stay here for the longest time, escape everything, and nobody would even look for you.” She said. He looked at her again. Surprised at this statement and he could see that empty look in her eyes.

“I don’t think that will happen with you? Most probably they’ll come looking for you. I mean. C’mon. It’ll be crazy if they won’t look for you.” His eyes widening. She just laughs softly.

          “Sorry. Just some random thoughts.” She smiles.

          “Brain fart.” He replied. She looked at him flabbergasted with the term and laughed quite a bit. Damn. She’s cute with that laugh. “What? Surprised with that I said?” he added while stuffing a laugh. She waves her hand at him, trying to stop laughing. She smiles.

          “Maybe that’s the first time I heard that term.” She replies, still smiling. He smiled back.

          “I guess you learned something from me then.” He notices her looking intently at him again. He turned away instinctively, warm feelings getting on his cheeks.

          “Does it hurt?” she asks. Most probably referring to the bruises on his face. He scratches his head and puts his head down a bit, smiling.

          “Before, yes. Now? Not that much anymore. Again. I’m used to it.” He says. She looks at her curiously.

          “How long have you been training?”

nbsp;         “Maybe about 8 years? Going on to my ninth year?” he replied while really thinking hard about it. “It’s been so long, I lost count already.” She smiles again and he’s staring at that gummy smile once more.

          “That’s a long time. You must really love what you’re doing. I’m like that with ballet.” She shares. Now it’s his turn to be surprised once more.

          “Ballet? You do ballet? Wow! That’s cool!” he exclaimed. She started waving her hand again.

          “No. No. No. It’s just a hobby that I picked up and ever since I can’t seem to put down.” She said shyly. Oh wow. That’s a new one. She’s being shy.

          “How long have you been doing ballet?” he asks.

          “11 years?” she replied. He’s with that wow face again.

          “11 years?? Wow! You must be REALLY good!” he exclaimed again. “So, you do that for a living? That’s your work? In the performing arts?” She just looks at him and smiles a bit. He doesn’t know?

          “Something like that. Yeah.” She just smiles at him. Just feeling thankful that he has no idea. He mouths “Wow” again.

          “I hope I get to watch you sometime!” he blurted out. He went red. “Ah. Sorry for that. Maybe you think I’m being aggressive.” She just looks at him. In some weird way, she’s comfortable with him. Of course, it’s weird. Being comfortable with somebody you just met around 30 or 45 minutes ago? She barely knows him. She smiles again, thankful for him being oblivious.

          “It’s ok. Don’t worry. Of course, you can watch if you want. I’ll let you know.” She replied. Hope she doesn’t notice how red he is because of his certain aggressive push. He just gave an awkward smile and scratch his head.

          “That would be nice. I just hope the schedule permits. Because you know, work and stuff.” He said.

          “Yes. Of course. Most probably we both have tons of work ahead of us.” She just looks ahead as she says this. He looks at her, seeing those empty eyes again. He looks ahead too.

          “Most probably.” He said in response.

Chime. That broke their silent reverie. She pulls out her phone. Checking something out. Probably a message. “I didn’t notice the time! An hour already? I need to go back to the dorm.” She says while standing up. He looks at his watch.

“Yep. You are right. I need to head on out too. My dorm is that way. I’ll walk you for the time being until we part ways. Just to be safe.” He says as he stands up. She looked at him and was surprised on how tall he was. He’s not that tall, but there was something in him that makes him imposing. He looked at her since she wasn’t moving.

“You ok? Let’s go?” he said. She burned red this time around.

“Yes!” she exclaimed. “You stay in the North Hills too?”

“Yeah. Somewhat. I guess we’re heading in the same direction.” He replied. It’s not that bad walking home with her. Who doesn’t want to walk with someone this beautiful?

They walked out of the park and started making their way towards the North Hills. Again, much like the start, they walked in comfortable silence and she doesn’t mind it. She likes it that he’s kind of quiet too. It’s like they understand each other. And who doesn’t want a sort of bodyguard walking with them in the evening? He knows boxing! She’s kind of grateful for that. She notices something while they’re walking.

“Why do you walk like that?” she asks. He looks at her and weakly smiles.

“Don’t worry about it. It’s because of the training. Kinda sore.” He replied.

“You’re hurt, aren’t you? You really should take care of yourself. People close to you will worry.” She says in a motherly, caring way. He chuckles at the thought of it.

“Nah. No one will even bother. It’s just me. No one else.” He says lazily. She tilts her head and leans a bit towards him. He was mildly surprised at the gesture.

“Siblings?” she asks.

“None. Just me.”

“Family?” she continues.

“They’re not here. They’re out of the country.” He says.

“Ooohhh. I see.” She nods in a way of understanding. “Me too. My family is not here. So, I’m just with my “sisters”.”

“Funny thing we have a lot in common.” He replied. Smiling as he says this. “The only difference is, I’m just by myself.” He laughed. She just looked at him and he could see that loneliness in his eyes. “Don’t mind me. Brain fart.” And he made a farting sound. She laughed the second time around. It was angelic. He laughed softly. He likes her laugh.

They kept on walking. Until they reach a 2-storey apartment. “So, I guess this is me.” She says. He looks at the impressive structure and whistled.

“Damn. Good you got here.” He said. “I’m sorry for the swearing. That’s just me. But, really. Damn. This is a damn good dorm you got here.” He says while looking at the façade of the structure. She raises an eyebrow.

“Look who’s talking. You live on the same district. Most probably you live in a house of same size as ours.” She says jokingly. He laughed at the way she says this.

“Touché, miss.” He answered. And she sticks a tongue out. He felt red when she did this. “So, I think it’s my cue to go on ahead. Thank you for the conversation. After the hard training, I appreciate that. Gamsahamnida. Annyeong!” He bowed and started to walk away. He suddenly stops. “Oh ! I forgot.” He reaches inside his pocket. Gets the white handkerchief she offered him and reaches towards her. “Thanks.”

She reached for it and their fingers glanced for the second time. He sees the crimson red line on the white handkerchief. “Wait. I think I need to clean this up first before giving it back to you.” He pulled back his hand.

“No. No. No. No! It’s ok!” she says, she stumbles a bit while reaching for the white handkerchief. Damn, he’s quick! For her it’s like slow motion. Here she is being a pabo, stumbling to somebody she barely knows, her ballet balance can’t save the life of her, and he’s there. Withdrawing his hand as quickly as she can’t reach for it and immediately catching her with the other arm, wrapping it around her waist. They’re so close now. Crazy close. And on the first hour of the first meeting? Really? Damn. She felt warm. He felt warm. She quickly stands up, cleared . She looks down, embarrassed. He slowly scratches his head. Embarrassed, but doesn’t show it.

“I insist. You offered it to me and I messed it up. The least I can do is to clean it up.” He explained. She was still looking down. Not looking at him.

“Ok. Just bring that one back to me.” She whispered. He shakes his head and scratches it wildly.

“How stupid of me. I’ve been talking to you for about an hour.” He extends his hand in handshake. “Annyeong. I’m Rain. And you are?” She looked up and saw him looking away sheepishly. It’s a different kind of gesture especially in this country. It’s been a long time since somebody introduced oneself like this to her.

“Annyeong. I’m Myoui Mina. It’s a pleasure to meet you!” she says with a gummy smile and shakes his hand. He glances at her and sees that elegant smile. Now he knows that he’s really red. Looking at her, her head tilted to one side, gummy smile and all that. Feeling her soft hands on his’. He reluctantly let’s go before everything gets awkward or he forgets to let go.

“So, I’m gonna go now.” He said. He gave a salute and awkwardly turned around and walked away.

She was still smiling, red and all. Still waving her hand.

“Minari!” somebody shouted. She turned around, still with that gummy smile of hers. She got slapped in the head.

“Penguin! Where have you been? We were all worried!” a girl scolded her. She jokingly rubbed her head as if hurt, still smiling and all.

“I just went to the convenience store and grabbed something.” She replied to the girl who slapped her. The girl with short hair and all, wearing a yellow hoodie and pants just looks at her with a “Whoa” face.

“For an hour? You went to the convenience store and grabbed something? FOR AN HOUR? REALLY?” she exclaimed. Mina just smiled at her and stick her tongue out. The girl with the short hair looked at her and looked at the direction she was looking at.

“Why are you smirking? Who was that person?” she asked. She looked and saw a glimpse of somebody walking down the street, bag in tow, hands pocketed.

“No one. Just a friend.” She replied with that elegant smile of hers.