01/01

How to Love [One-shot]
Please log in to read the full chapter

[Dialogue Guide]
Bold = English
Normal = Korean

 

----

 

To: My ♥

Happy first anniversary, baby.
I miss you.
Wish you were with me :(

 

Wonpil hit the ‘send’ button and set his phone aside, for DAY6 was in the midst of band practice for their upcoming concerts. Sungjin had them pause for a bathroom break, and it was time to get back to practice.

 

As he played the keys to the intro of “How to Love”, memories of how he first met her flooded his mind, and he bit back a smile.

 

****

 

DAY6 had been on their second world tour, and they had been overseas for almost a month, so everyone was feeling rather homesick by then. That show, where Wonpil would meet her, was the last overseas stop before the band was due to return to Korea for their new album release, before continuing with the tour afterwards.

 

He noticed her after the first set of songs, as she was in the first few rows and directly in his line of vision. She had been singing along enthusiastically, but what really caught his attention was the Ke mascot plush that was dangling off her lightband; the way it got flung around as she waved her lightband made it a ridiculously adorable sight. He even made a mental note to jokingly ask Younghyun if he felt dizzy due to all the shaking.

 

She was mostly looking at Younghyun, of course, but Wonpil kept his eyes on her and watched as she sang along to every song they performed. He found himself smiling whenever she stumbled a little with some of the lyrics. Somewhere along the way, he started making eye contact with her. He was caught off-guard the first time it happened, but he told himself it was probably a one-time coincidence. And then he made eye contact with her again, and again, and again. Everytime she would look at him, he was already looking at her, though, he hoped she wouldn’t think he was a creep or anything like it.

 

Then came the time for his solo. Determined to make her impressed, Wonpil concentrated more than he ever did on that tour and poured his soul into his solo performance. When he hit the last key on his keyboard, he sneaked a peek at her and found her staring at him in amazement. He broke into a contented smile, and to his delight, she returned the gesture.

 

When they returned backstage to change and freshen up for the encore, Jaehyung was by his side suddenly.

 

“Yah, your solo today was the best so far on this tour! What happened?”

 

He hesitated whether or not to tell Jaehyung the truth, and the guitarist noticed.

 

“Wonpil? You okay?”

 

Wonpil took a quick glance around the room to ensure no one else’s attention was on them.

 

“Hyung…there’s this girl in the crowd…” he gave the guitarist a brief summary.

 

Jaehyung looked amazed and amused at the same time, “you did that to impress her? Did it work?”

 

“I think so?”

 

“Okay, but what now? We’re leaving tonight, Pil.”

 

“Yeah, about that…I was actually thinking of inviting her backstage after the show…do you think that will be allowed?”

 

“You’ll never know if you don’t try,” Jaehyung clapped him on his back and went off to the changing room.

 

With Jaehyung’s words giving him a confidence boost, Wonpil hurriedly changed his outfit and spent the next few minutes talking to their manager, who, surprisingly, did not even show any signs of disapproval.

 

“It’s about time you guys go out and meet new people,” the band’s manager had said, with a grin, “she should be pretty easy to identify, I guess?”

 

Having his manager’s confirmation of support, Wonpil couldn’t keep the smile off his face as he went to join his bandmates on standby. Sungjin, Younghyun and Dowoon looked at him, puzzled. Only Jaehyung gave him a knowing grin.

 

The last portion of the concert went by in a flash, and then the band was thanking the crowd and saying their goodbyes. Wonpil caught a glimpse of their manager and the translator in the audience, moving to approach her. He lingered on stage long enough to ensure they got the correct person, before finally going backstage. There was a short hi-touch session with some selected fans after the show, but Wonpil’s mind was already elsewhere.

 

As soon as the hi-touch session ended, Wonpil bounded off to look for his manager, who informed him she was waiting in one of the unused rooms. He checked his appearance in the mirror before heading towards the room. In front of the closed door, Wonpil tried to calm his nerves by taking a few deep breaths, but it didn’t help. He raised a shaking hand and lightly knocked, before opening the door that would lead him to his fate.

 

He would never forget the look on her face when he stepped into the room; it was a look of pure surprise, disbelief and delight – as if she had expected no one else but him.

 

“H-Hi…I…uh…I…you…”

 

Wonpil can barely form a full sentence in English under normal circumstances, and it was worse in that situation. His brain just refused to cooperate. He was mentally going through all that he’d heard and learnt from Jaehyung and Younghyun when she gave a little laugh.

 

“I can speak Korean, you know.”

 

“Oh…wait, what?” he stared at her, “you…are you Korean?”

 

She shook her head, still looking amused, “I’m not, but I can speak your language.”

 

Wonpil let out a sigh of relief unknowingly, and then hastily collected himself.

 

“So…first things first, I’m sorry if I, if we frightened you by approaching you like that…” he took a seat opposite her, not daring to look at her reaction, “Iwantedtoseeyou.”

 

“And I thought I was th

Please log in to read the full chapter