MY JEWEL

MEMORIES: MY ONLY JEWEL

2005

“Seriously! I can’t believe I'm already late, and to think it’s just the first day! ” Eunhyuk said frustrated as he starts to run with full speed in the corridors of his new school.

It’s his first day of high school and sadly he forgot to set an alarm. While running with all his might he didn’t notice the boy that’s also running with the same speed. It was just a matter of seconds when the two boys collided.

“OUCH!!!!” The two boys said in unison

“Hey, you need to be more careful! And look where you’re going!” Eunhyuk said irritated at the brown haired boy he bumped into

“Well, you’re also not looking where you're going " said boy replied, nevertheless he gives his hand to Eunhyuk to help him stand

Annoyed, Eunhyuk look up from the hands until his eyes landed on the face of the boy, and wow, was he mesmerized. Seeing the dark brown eyes that are staring at him intently and a small smile that grazes those thin lips accentuating more of his handsome features. He can’t help but be amaze by him.

“Hey, are you okay? Did you bump your head?” The boy asked in concern since Eunhyuk is just staring at him.

Like waking up from a spell, he suddenly stuttered , ye-yes, I’m okay. " and he shyly accepts the hand of the boy

“Sorry for bumping into you it’s just that I can’t believe I’m running late and it's the first day of class” the boy said with a silly smile

‘OMG! He look so cute especially with that crooked smile Eunhyuk thought as he kept on staring at the boy

“Uhmmm, its okay I’m also at fault I’m not looking where I was going” he replied with a slight blush

“Hahaha, you’re cute. What’s your name? I’m Donghae”

“Eunhyuk...” he said timidly, he still can’t get over the fact that he’s talking with this gorgeous boy and that laugh! It pleases his ears so much…

“Eunhyuk? Jewel? That’s a cool name. Then, Eunhyuk do you want to be my friend? Seeing your uniform I assume that we are both first years” Donghae said while flashing his golden smile

“Uhmmm, sure shall we go then?” That’s the only thing that he managed to utter since he was still swooning over the handsome face called donghae AKA his FRIEND

They both run hurriedly to their class, not knowing that Destiny already started his game.

2006

“Hae! Hurry up or else we’ll miss the movie” Eunhyuk shouted at the top of his lungs

He and Donghae planned to celebrate New Year together by watching a movie, however since Donghae is a slowpoke they are already running late.

“o-k-ay, ju-st wai-t” Donghae said while brushing his teeth, both of them are currently in his flat

“I can’t believe you! That’s already the fifth time you’re brushing your teeth today!” Eunhyuk said staring at his bff while lying comfortably at the sofa

“well, normal people always brush their teeth my Jewel”, donghae said teasingly while rinsing his mouth

Eunhyuk instantly blushed hearing the words “my jewel”. Why does he keep on calling me that? Doesn’t he know how hard I try to stop myself from liking him.

Deep within his thoughts eunhyuk didn’t notice that Donghae is lunging towards him with a teasing smile.

“Yah!!!!” eunhyuk suddenly shouted as he was surprised that Donghae is already hugging him and laying his head at his neck. He can feel donghae’s breath, and the fact that they are so close right now is not doing anything to suppress his feelings. He knows it's wrong, however he can’t stop himself. How can he?

 

 

 

 

“hahaha, why are you so grumpy today? It’s New Year we should be happy and celebrating” donghae said with a cheeky smile while hugging his “jewel” tighter.

“Well I was happy, but an idiot fish that keeps on brushing his teeth ruined my mood” eunhyuk unconsciously pouted.

“Then the idiot fish will make your day fun and memorable” donghae said, while pinching eunhyuk’s cheeks. He can’t help but think that his friend is really cute he always wants to be with him and just stay by his side, he really can’t explain this feeling but it’s starting to make him question himself.

“You better! Or else I’ll really ignore you for the rest of the year! ” Eunhyuk stated while hiding his cheeks that donghae keeps on pinching. He can’t ignore the butterflies that were swooning inside his stomach.

“Yes, yes. But hyuk are you sure you want to celebrate your New Year with me. I mean you have your family and I’m okay if you celebrate it with them.”

“Idiot, if I’m not okay with it then I won’t be here. Also, if I’m not here then a certain fish will definitely be sad for the rest of the day” he said smugly while playing with Donghae’s hair

“I really appreciate it my Jewel, I’m really lucky to have you” donghae said closing his eyes and laying his head at Eunhyuk’s lap.

Unaware, Donghae did not notice the change of expression in his friend’s face

Eunhyuk face fell. How I wish I can truly tell you how I feel hae, how I wish I can be in your arms forever not as your friend but someone more special. I really like you but, I know it’s impossible for us to be together.

Both are oblivious at the fact that it started snowing, and their feelings started blooming to something that one might consider as a blessing or a curse.

2007

Time flies so fast, both Donghae and Eunhyuk are already in their third year of high school. They meet new friends like the diva Sungmin and the braniac Kyuhyun. Regardless of the changes both boys are still feeling the same way for each other. But none of them are willing to admit it.

“Seriously! I can’t believe you're  telling me that there’s nothing going on between the two of you! you are always together!” sungmin huffed, he can’t accept the fact that nothing is going on between the fish and the monkey.

“shhhh! Min be quiet someone might here you! they might get a wrong idea. And yes nothing’s going on between the two of us, hae doesnt swing that way and I definitely don’t want to ruin our friendship” Eunhyuk sighed tiredly he knows that’s impossible for him and Donghae to be together and it will be better if sungmin just shut his diva mouth.

“I don’t believe you! And Donghae definitely swings THAT way trust me!”

Eunhyuk suddenly perked up not believing what his hearing, did sungmin bumped his head or something?

“how can you say that min? Donghae is as straight as a ruler!”

“oh no honey, you are just insensible idiots. I mean have you seen him staring at you especially when youre wearing that short shorts for PE? And the way he glares at Kyu when Kyu touches you or hugs you. That definitely is not a reaction of a straight man” Sungmin said with a flip of his hair.

“min’s right he almost knocked me out when we were playing basketball, that’s the day I hugged you in front of him” Kyuhyun suddenly chimed in

“You too are just reading too much into it. He can just be quite possessive sometimes since I’m his best friend” Eunhyuk said while stopping himself from blushing, he doesn’t want to acknowledge the fact that Sungmin and Kyuhyun might be right. He doesn’t want to keep his hopes up, since for sure it will just be in vain.

“why don’t you guys just try it? Since youre practically tied in the hip. And if it doesn’t work then you can just be back to being friends.” Kyuhyun suggested confidently

“It’s not that easy kyu-” Eunhyuk wasn’t able to finish his sentence when a certain grinning fish came up to their room.

“Jewel are you ready? Let’s go ” Donghae said with a smile. He’s excited since he's planning on taking hyukjae to his secret place.

“oh, okay coming. See you guys”

Both boys walked out of the room. Sungmin and Kyuhyun can’t help but sigh sadly.

“Those two are such idiots; they can’t even see the spark in both their eyes when they’re together”

“You’re right min, I just hope they’ll be able to understand their feelings without hurting each other.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“hae! Can you please just tell me where we are going?” euhyuk felt slightly irritated since his friend insisted for him to be blindfolded and he was being carried. Yes BEING CARRIED BRIDAL STYLE by his idiot friend. To be honest he doesn’t mind it one bit, but Donghae doesn’t need to know that. The reason why donghae is carrying him like this? Simple “I don’t want my jewel to bump into anything”

“shhhhh, Jewel be patient we are in the park, I just need to show you my surprise” donghae said, loving the faint blush in Eunhyuk’s cheeks.

“we are here!” donghae said cheerfully while taking Eunhyuk’s blinds off.

MESMERIZED, that was the initial reaction of Eunhyuk seeing a lake and a garden filled with blue Hydrangea he didn’t know that such a place like this can be seen at their local park

“wow hae! How did you find this place?”

“This is my hide out. I found this the first day I went here from Mokpo” donghae can’t avert his eyes seeing the beautiful gummy smile of Eunhyuk while staring at the flowers. He knows that he won’t be able to stop his feelings now.

“This is really amazing!” Eunhyuk can’t help but be amazed, then suddenly there was a hand at his face he looked up seeing donghae kneeling before him.

“My Jewel, I need to tell you something” donghae said with all seriousness he can’t stop himself from blurting out his feelings anymore, he’s already being choked up and the only way for him to breath is to admit his feelings.

“what is it hae?” Eunhyuk can feel it; he can sense that something is up. The butterflies are starting to attack his stomach again, seeing the intense stare of Donghae towards him

“Eunhyuk, I know this may sound weird, but I’m hoping that regardless of what I’ll tell you today, I hope that this will not change anything.” Donghae said carefully not removing his hands from eunhyuk’s soft face. He can clearly see the shock and is that hope in eunhyuk’s eyes?

While Eunhyuk, he didn’t know how to react so he just stayed silent, afraid that if he moves  the magical moment will stop.

“Eunhyuk I like you, no! I love you my jewel! I don’t know when I started seeing you more than a friend. Maybe it was the times you decided to spend your holidays with me than your family, or the times that you cheer me up when I’m down. But I’m sure of one thing hyuk, I want you to stay by my side forever, I want to achieve my dreams together with you. The person I want to spend my lifetime is you hyuk. I’m not forcing you to accept my love-”

Donghae wasn’t able to continue since he was tackled by grinning Eunhyuk

“Yes! Yes! I love you too hae. But I’m so scared in telling you my feelings it’s just, I’m so afraid that you might ignore me and break our friendship” Eunhyuk said while hugging donghae tightly and with tears in his eyes. He can’t believe it, everything just feels like a dream. The man he loves so much is confessing in front of him.

Donghae hugged him tighter while placing a sapphire ring on his finger, the ring was not expensive but to Eunhyuk it worth more than anything in this world.

“what is this hae?” Eunhyuk said while staring at the beautiful sapphire

“it’s the symbol of our love. It’s not much but I can assure you that in a few years I’ll be able to buy you a real one.” Donghae said cheekily and without warning the two boys closed their eyes sharing their first kiss. The only thing that they can think of is how sweet it is be with the one man that you love.

Both boys cherished their time together they promise to never be apart…

but DESTINY has another plan for them.

2008                

“Eunhyuk we need to break up” donghae said coldly

Bewildered, Eunhyuk can’t believe what he’s hearing. Donghae just asked him to go to the lake by the park, the place where they first kissed and admitted their feelings for each other. He keeps on praying that it’s just one of Donghae’s silly jokes that everything is not real. But seeing the seriousness in his face he feared that everything is about to change.

“hae please tell me your joking” with tears in his eyes he let those words be heard

He tried holding his boyfriend’s arm; however donghae coldly swatted his hands away

“I’m not. I want to break up Eunhyuk I can’t do this anymore” he said coldly staring at the eyes that he once loved.

“But why?! Is it something that I did” is it something that I said?, please tell me hae. Don’t do this to me”

"You did not do anything. I just want to live a normal life; I want to have a family of my own. I want to have children and be happy with them, this is not working anymore. Soon we’ll graduate be college students and we need to grow up."

With those words, eunhyuk feels like someone stabbed him at the back, feels like the air inside him simply went out. Hearing those words, He knows he can’t give donghae the things that he really wants.

"Okay"

Donghae was quite surprised he can’t believe Eunhyuk agreed easily, he was prepared to scold the man if he has to

Like reading his mind Eunhyuk said

“You’re already decided hae, and I don’t want to prevent you from achieving your dreams. It’s devastating, I always thought you and I will achieve our dreams together, but if the only way for you to be happy is for me to be out of your life, then so be it.” Eunhyuk tried to smile preventing himself from crying he needs to be strong right now.

“Thank you, you also need to grow up, be normal.” donghae said dumbly he was happy that Eunhyuk agreed but on the other hand he can’t explain the aching feeling in his chest. He ignored it and with a last glance at Eunhyuk he slowly leaves.

“Donghae!” Eunhyuk shouted with the last of his strength. 

Donghae looked at him and he felt his heart shuttered there Eunhyuk was standing, staring at him with his gummy smile while tears are pouring down from his eyes.

“I wish you’ll always be happy, I wish you’ll achieve everything you want in life…I wish you’ll find the right person for you” Eunhyuk said these words not minding that his heart is shuttering

Donghae did not say anything, how can he? He knows that he’s the reason why those delicate eyes are crying right now. He wants to go back to Eunhyuk but his ego is preventing him to do so. Turning back, a single tear escaped from his eyes. He thought that he did the right thing for both of them, but his heart is telling him otherwise.

Eunhyuk stares at the back of the man that he loves so much, the image is starting to blur out, and when Donghae’s finally gone, his legs gave up on him, he fell down while crying his heart out.

“It’s the best decision, Donghae will be happier without me. He will achieve his dreams without me. He will have a normal life without me, no one will make fun of him for having an affair with a man ” Eunhyuk keeps on repeating these words like a mantra, praying that it will help him mend his broken heart.

However it did not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Two weeks have passed since that day and Eunhyuk was walking like a zombie, he’s trying so hard to live his life ignoring the pain of everything. But it was easier said than done especially when he sees his ex-boyfriend with his new girl. After they broke up, Donghae got together with Yoona, the most popular girl in school. He didn’t believe it at first when Kyuhyun told him, but seeing them together at the canteen while kissing he felt that his world just broke apart. Donghae really wants to have a normal life.

“hyuk! Seriously you need to forget that idiot! He’s nothing but a two faced devil. Tskeed normal my ” kyuhyun said irritatingly while munching on his food. They are currently in the canteen while looking at Donghae and Yoona openly flirting with each other.

“kyu stop that, it’s his decision we need to respect it, although I can’t believe he’s willing to hurt hyuk like this” sungmin said while cautiously looking at Eunhyuk.

Eunhyuk did not say anything, he just stares at the couple, “COUPLE” oh, how hard was it to look at man who was once yours, to look at the man who promised you everything but at the end, the man that left you with nothing and without a second thought. Everything is just too much for him to digest, it's like a nightmare and all he wants to do is to wake up from it.

“Guys I need to leave” Eunhyuk just rushed out of the canteen not knowing that a pair of eyes is looking at him,

Donghae looked at the running figure his “ex-boyfriend” he can’t help but feel a strain in his heart seeing how eunhyuk look like right now he definitely lost some weight, and the sparks in his eyes are gone.

“hey babe are you listening to me?” yoona said irritated with the lack of attention

“uh yes, I just need to go to the restroom for a while.” Donghae abruptly stood up and went out.

He can’t understand himself, he thought that if he broke up with eunhyuk he’ll be happier and live a normal life, however it’s far from that. All those touches, all those kisses, and all those I love you’s from Yoona felt bland, it doesn’t felt right. Unlike those times he did and said it to eunhyuk.

He’s about to go to the CR, but his feet brought him to the rooftop instead, he can’t understand his feelings, however he knows that he’ll find the blonde there and his heart is aching to see him. Once he opened the door he saw the blonde that he broke, looking at the sky lifelessly. He was about to approach him, but he decided otherwise he just keep on looking at Hyukjae while the boy is crying staring at nothingness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a Saturday and Donghae went to his favourite club his head is all clouded up with the thoughts of Eunhyuk. The  only thing he wants to do is to forget and drink his heart out. He just broke up with Yoona telling her that it won’t work out and surprisingly he didn't deel any remorse doing it.He realize that he never love the girl.

He was deep in his thoughts, when suddenly a hard punch struck his face

“what the-” hae was about to curse and punch the man when he looked up it was Kyuhyun

“you ing idiot! How can you hurt eunhyuk! Don’t you know how much he loves you!” Khyuhyun said trying to control his anger but it was useless.

“why do you care?! You're just his friend! Stay out of our affair!” Donghae spat angrily, but Kyuhyun punched him again square in the face.

“You piece of ! Don’t you know that I also love Eunhyuk! I told him my feelings but he declined my confession, telling me that he only has one man in his heart! The only man is his heart is you! You ing idiot! But you left him with a and with the stupid excuse of wanting a normal life!”

“he said that?” Dongahe was slowly realizing everything. This is the reason why his relationship with Yoona did not work out; this is the reason why he feels incomplete. No matter what anyone says he needs to stay with Eunhyuk, his heart and soul only yearns only for Eunhyuk.

“Yes you trash! But I won’t let someone like you hurt him anymore! I’ll give him the love he deserves! I’ll make him mine!” Kyuhyun said and was about to walk out when he was punched at his ribs, he coughed in pain.

“never! You can never have him! He’s only mine!” donghae said and rush out of the club not minding that Kyuhyun is still on the floor, but with a satisfied smile on his face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Donghae was rushing to see Eunhyuk and tell him everything, he was willing to beg his Jewel to take him back and tell him that the life he thought he wants to have is nothing compared to his own happiness that he can only find with Eunhyuk. Filled with his new found courage and determination he focuses on the things he needs to do to get Eunhyuk back. But he did not notice a truck going his way. And that was it the truck hit him with so much force that the only thing that stayed on his mind in his last moment is “Eunhyuk forgive me.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The glass suddenly shattered, Eunhyuk can’t explain it but something just feels off.  Suddenly, a newsflash came and Eunhyuk has his eyes wide he’s staring at the screen looking at the image of a truck crashing into a car, the car was unidentifiable however it was not the state of the car that made Eunhyuk cry out, it was the name of the driver being flashed in the screen “LEE DONGHAE”. When he regains his consciousness, he quickly dashed out of the  house and went to the hospital.

“Where can I find the guy that was crashed by a truck?!” Eunhyuk asked the nurse hysterically

“sir, he’s at the Operating room, but-”

Eunhyuk did not heard the rest, he quickly went to the said room, he saw Donghae’s parents and his brother were crying. 

“oh, Eunhyuk, son come here” Donghae’s mother ushered him to go to her, the moment she saw him. She hugged him so tight. Eunhyuk can feel her pain and he can’t hide the tears that were quickly flooding his sight.

“Auntie, what happened? Where is Donghae” how is he?” he bombed the lady with all his questions but she is no state to answer.

“He’s still in the operating room” Mr. Lee answered with tears in his eyes while trying to calm down his wife.

Suddenly, the Operating room opened, the doctor went out looking all stern.

“I’ll be honest with you, the patient only has 25% chance to live, most of his ribs are fractured, he’s also experiencing a head haemorrhage, but the most dangerous of it all is that his heart is too weak to function, if he won’t have any heart donor within this night, I’m sad to say that the patient will die”

The rest of the sentences were  out from Eunhyuk’s hearing. The only thing that’s repeating on his mind is that if there is no heart donor within this night, donghae will die, HIS DONGHAE WILL DIE. He can’t let that happen, so while Donghae’s parents and the doctor is busy talking he went inside the OR. There he saw the almost lifeless body of the man he loves so much.

“hae, can you hear me? Please don’t leave me, you need to survive, there are so many people that loves you, I love you” Eunhyuk said while holding the cold hands of his ex-lover, he was surprised when he saw that Donghae is still wearing the ring that he gave him when donghae asked him to be his boyfriend.

“You’re still wearing this? I thought you want to forget everything about us and live a normal life? Hae this is the symbol of our love, our promise that we won’t ever leave each other.” Eunhyuk kept on crying, and then he thought of an idea on how to save the man he loves so much.

“This is the only way to save you” eunhyuk already made up his mind, he kissed donghae’s fingers with the ring on it and with one last smile he left the hospital.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eunhyuk run up to his car, he was blindly driving everything around him is dark but he keeps on increasing his speed the only thing going in his mind is to save the life of the man he loves, the man who showed him his heart, the man who broke him but the man he can’t live without.

“If taking my life is the only way to save you, then I’m willing to sacrifice everything”

“I love you donghae” those were his last words before he closed his eyes with a smile and crashed into the tree. His mind replaying all the moments with the one he loves.

One Month Later

Donghae slowly opens his eyes, he groaned, every part of his body ached especially his chest; he touched it and can feel stiches at his heart.

“Eunhyuk” he uttered the first name that popped out of his mind

“Donghae!” his mom shouted in joy when he saw that his son is already awake

“Son, you don’t know how worried we are!”

Donghae was still baffled with everything, and within seconds the doctor, followed by the nurses came flashing in.

“you only have to regain you strength and to undergo some tests, then you are free to go ” the doctor said thoughtfully

“thank you doc. Mom did eunhyuk visited me?” he asked timidly, he’s not sure if eunhyuk visited him since he knows fully well that “his jewel” might still hate him for breaking up. When he looked up he became a bit worried seeing the sad expression of his parents.

“hae, you need to know something” his mother said brokenheartedly, then she gives him a paper with a ring

Donghae felt like he was washed with cold water that ring is the sapphire that gave to Eunhyuk. His Jewel never removes it even when he broke up with him. With shaking hands he took the letter.

My dear fishy,

If you are reading this right now then that means I succeeded with my mission. Yes, my mission to keep you alive! Donghae I love you so much, more than you can imagine, I only wish you all the good things because you deserve everything in life. You’re the person who showed me what true love means, you thought me how to be selfless. You made me feel things that I only dreamt of. I can never forget all the kisses we shared. I never once pulled out the ring you gave me, believing that when I wear it I’ll still be able to feel your presence but now, I think it’s time to let it go. Please don’t blame yourself with my decision, nothing’s your fault I chose this path, since even if I’m alive I won’t be able to live knowing that the only man I love is gone. I'm giving you my heart Hae, please take care of it know that as it keeps beating my love for you will never fade. Please live your life to the fullest do everything you want to do, I’ll always be here with you, praying that you’ll achieve all your dreams. I love you so much Donghae.

Your Jewel

When he finished reading the letter, his body tensed up he slowly put his hand to his heart. Then without warning he tried ripping all the apparatus that surrounds him and run away. This is not true! He needs to find Eunhyuk! 

“Donghae what are you doing?! Calm down!” His mother said, outraged with the reaction of his son.

“NO! NO! NO! THIS IS NOT TRUE! Mom, please tell me this is not true! Eunhyuk is not dead! Show him to me! EUNHYUK!!” donghae cried and shouted. His parents can’t do anything but hug their son, crying with him.

“Eunhyuk please, tell me this is not true, please don’t leave me. I can’t have a life without you in it”

April 2055

“My jewel, you’re so unfair. Why did you think that I can live a life without you? How can you think that everything will be okay without you. You did not even let me tell you how much I love you, and how much I regret the decision of leaving you” The old man, Donghae said while touching his heart and the tomb of his lover. That day, his parents told him that Eunhyuk killed himself by crashing his car in a tree, everyone was devastated with what they heard, however the police saw two letters in his hand. The first one saying that he is donating his heart to Donghae, the second one is his letter for Donghae together with the sapphire ring.

After that day, donghae became a mess he was trying to kill himself, trying to reach out for his lover.  The day he decided to end everything is when he went to the cemetery for the first time. For the first time he saw the tomb of his lover he was about to kill himself when suddenly there was a strong wind. He can faintly hear the voice of his lover saying "don't do this to yourself my love, please keep in mind that I'll always be with you, you have my heart and I'll just be here waiting until the day we can finally be together again".
With that Donghae fell down on his knees holding his heart, that was the moment he decided to pick up the pieces of his life and continue living, just like what Eunhyuk wish.

Donghae became a successful businessman. He put up different charity houses that caters the poor. He never married, regardless of the different proposals from so many eligible women. Everyone always notice the necklace he wears with two sapphire rings, they are wondering why a rich and powerful businessman owns those cheap and ordinary rings. But for the man it’s the only thing that connects him with his love, the only thing that makes him keep on going.

“My Jewel please wait for me, I already lived my life as you want it. I did everything thinking that you’re always there with me and supporting me.” donghae said and he can feel it again Eunhyuk. When he looked up there is a shadow, the shadow of his love reaching out for him with that precious gummy smile and he did not think twice in hugging him. His long awaited reunion with his only jewel.

Everyone was devastated in hearing the news that the business tycoon Lee Donghae died, his body was found in a cemetery hugging the tomb of a Lee Eunhyuk, but the people who found his body said the man had a beautiful smile on his face.