Final

Congratulations, Joohyun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun was lying on her couch, scrolling lazily on Twitter. She was bored.

The phone next to the TV rang. But she didn't want to stand up. So she let it ring. She thought that if it were important, the person would leave a message.

She heard a beep and a familiar voice spoke.

'Hey, Joohyun. It's Seulgi. I know we didn't talk for weeks. Well, I tried to but seems like you just don't want to answer me.' Seulgi let out a bitter chuckle. 'And don't tell me you didn't notice... again... I know you, and I know you're almost always on your phone. I don't even know why I called you. I mean, it's obvious you don't give a . But I think I miss you, my dear... friend.' It was silent for a couple of seconds. 'I heard you were back with Seungwan now, congratulations. I hope you’re happy.' Seulgi sighed. 'Don't bother lying again, okay? You said I mean a lot for you and I was a close friend. It hurts, Hyun. I understand you don't accept my feelings but why are you distant now? I told you I'd manage them, right? Are you distant because of this? We were good friends. Then why?' Seulgi choked on a sob. 'Okay, huh, sorry. Alcohol makes me more sensitive.' She giggled and sniffled. ‘Anyway. I’m leaving tomorrow. I’m going to Japan for good. Goodbye, Joohyun.’

 

Seulgi hanged up after letting a message on the voicemail. She didn’t know if Joohyun was going to hear it, but at the moment, she didn’t really care. She took another gulp of the cheap whiskey she had bought earlier. She didn’t like the taste. But it made her feel good. It made her forget everything and mostly the pain. She dragged herself to her bedroom. She almost stumbled because of her suitcase and alcohol. She let herself fall on her bed and sighed loudly.

Maybe she was wrong to hope for tomorrow. She will never see Joohyun again. She knew it. But she wanted to hope for the older girl to show up at the airport. They were close friends, after all. They were supposed to be. Joohyun always said they were, but she was the one who broke everything. It was her fault. A liar, Seulgi thought. The younger woman had tried to contact her, even a couple of times. But with the lack of answer, she gave up. She wasn’t going to run after Joohyun forever. But a part of her didn’t want to let the older woman go. She somehow needed her. Even if Joohyun couldn’t return her feelings, she wanted her to be by her side.

Eventually, Seulgi passed out. She didn’t dream that night. She woke up with her a big headache and an empty heart. Maybe, drinking that much before her departure wasn’t a good idea. But she didn’t care much. She remembered she had called Joohyun the night before. Everything about her words was blurry. Will Joohyun listen to her? Will she even care?

Seulgi broke into tears. She didn’t bother to wipe her wet cheeks, she just let them dampening with painful tears. She was sitting in her living room. The mug in her hand broke. It was broken, just like her. She noticed the trail of red blood on her hand. It wasn’t painful. It felt like a couple of stings, which slowly turned into a burning sensation. She didn’t care. She kept crying.

After cleaning everything and a long shower, Seulgi went back to her bedroom. She heard her phone buzzing. She checked it, silently hoping for a certain someone.

From Sooyoung: I’m outside with Yerim. We’re waiting for you.

To Sooyoung: I’m coming in a minute.

Seulgi grabbed her suitcase and left her flat. She took a deep breath in the elevator, putting a grin on her face. Going to another country was supposed to be thrilling, exciting. Not heart broking.

Sooyoung greeted her with a hug. The two of them were close friends. They had met during their years at university. Seulgi wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter