fin

That Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


I was ten when I first met her. 

It was a hot summer day, I was having a vacation at my uncle's town. As a child, I love playing hide-and-seek with my cousins. The competitive spirit runs on my blood that I didn't notice I am already inside the forbidden forest where the elders in my uncle's town believes that different spirits lived. 

I keep on running to find the exit. I bit my lip to stop myself from crying. It's getting dark and my legs are already weak from all the running I do all day. I crouched under the tree and put my head on my knees. My body starts trembling--

"Ya! little girl, why are you crying?"

That's when I first saw her. Standing tall with her long blonde hair that's dancing with the wind. Wearing a weird bunny mask that covers her whole face. 

To say that I'm happy that moment is an understatement. I rush towards her running, ready to hug her because I believe she was my savior but she quickly moves to the side making my face flat on the grass. 

"S-sorry, you're human right? If a human touches me, I'll disappear." 

"If a human... Wait, what are you?" I suddenly remember the gossips of the elders about spirits. I clapped excitedly and ask the teenager, "Woah! So are you one of the spirits?"

"I-I just happen to live here"

I vigorously nodded my head and put my thumb and pointing fingers at my chin, but "what do you mean by disappear?" Seemingly thinking of something naughty, I charge to the teenager to test if it's true. Unfortunately, the teenager's reflexes are fast and I can't keep up with her. 

Feeling tired I just gave up. "To disappear is like when you're making bubbles. I am too fragile that I will pop off and sweep away. It's the spell that the forest princess cast upon me. If I get  touch my a human, like you, it would be the end." The teenager narrates while looking up at the sky. 

I feel sorry for her that I continually bow my head. I look up when a branch touch my cheek. The teenager says, "Hold on to the end of the stick, I will help you ot of this forest. You are lost right? 

I got excited again. I stand up ready to hug her but she hit my head with the stick. She panickly voice out, "I told you already right?" I bow my head again to her and said sorry. 

We walk hand and hand (holding at the tip of the stick). I can't but to remember the movies that I watch on TV. "It seems like a date, right?" "N-no not the romantic one"

We already reach the end of the trail and I can't help but to ask her, "You are always here right? Can I go back here tomorrow?"

"She shaked her head, "No, you should not go back here. It's a forest where all types of spirits lived. If you got lost here, you will be lost forever."

I ignored what she told me and decided to say my name to her. "I'm Eunbi. Kwon Eunbi. I'll be back here tomorrow to give you a thank you present. What's your name? 

She just stand there. Thinking that she will not say it. I turn my back and run. 

"It's Chaeyeon." I faced her again but she's not there already. I just smiled and run again.

I reach my destination and met my angry and worried uncle there. "Eunbi.. Eunbi-yah. Are you really an idiot? What if you got hurt? What will I tell your Mom?" I just hug him but he stills hit my head. 

While walking home I ask him if he believes that there are forest spirits. "Who knows? We usually go with my friends there when I was a child. Maybe I already encountered them. My friends cousin told a story about the summer festival of the spirits that she attended. Let's go faster, your aunt cooked your favorite. 

🕊🕊🕊🕊🕊🕊🕊🕊🕊🕊🕊🕊🕊🕊🕊🕊

I wore my favorite yellow dress for today. I ask my aunt to help me make tteok. I don't know if Chaeyeon can eat it but she seems human to me so I will try. 

I reach the gate to the forbidden forest. I looked around looking for signs of Chaeyeon.

"You came. I never thought that you'd come back." I almost got a heart attack when she suddenly talk behind my back. 

I composed myself and beamed at her. "Did you wait for me, Chaeyeon?" She just chuckle. "Let's go, it's hot here."

"H-huh?" 

"Don't you worry I will help you out the forest again. Trust me." I followed her and roam my eyes      around the forest once I set my foot there. I never had the chance to admire it's beauty because I'm too scared the day before. 

Suddenly I feel chills all over my body. I can feel the hair all stood on my neck. A large creepy ugly duck with a black aura is following us from behind. 

"Chaeyeon. Chaeyeon-ah. Is that a human with you? I'm really hungry, can I have her as a breakfast?" I got really scared but Chaeyeon stands in front of me hiding me behind her. "No, she's my friend."

The creepy duck laughs "Really? Ya! little human, Do not touch Chaeyeon, okay? If you do, I will definitely cook you and have you as my breakfast, dinner and lunch. I automatically nodded my head at the duck. 

"Yah! Yena! Go back on human form and go back to your turf, you're scaring her." 

The duck turned into a human and run away from Chaeyeon. 

"Is that a spirit?" Chaeyeon sigh. "They transform into differents forms to scare human. But don't worry, some of them do it for fun. They do not harm anyone."

I squealed and clapped my hands. "Wow. Spirits are true. I jumped happily, "I never thought I'd ever see one. Chaeyeon scoff loudly, "What do you call me then? Let's go.

Due to my inquisitiveness I ask her the reason why she's wearing a mask. She simply answered, "I just want to."

"Omo!" Perhaps, you are a no-faced spirit? Chaeyeon just laugh. "No, don't mind me. Just tell me about yourself. 

I ran around her with glee. "Yiieee. Chaeyeon's curious about me."

She just shake her shoulder and uttered "Why do you think, I waited for you?"

I go back to the forest every day. I spend my whole summer going around and playing with Chaeyeon in the forest. It might be weird and crazy but I had fun. I had so much fun. 

I was busy picking flowers when I noticed Chaeyeon sleeping. I was contemplating whether I will put off her bunny mask or not. Getting the courage, I removed it on her face. That's when I saw the most beautiful girl I've ever seen after my Mom. 

"I look normal right? I got startled making me put the mask back on her face harshly. "Ouch! you are really scary little girl. 

"Yah! Stop calling me little girl. Why are you wearing that mask? I ask her once again hoping for an answer this time. "I just feel that I'm not a spirit when I wear it." Shaking my head, I whispered, "You are really a weird beautiful girl."

"Chaeyeon, you know that I'm only here for summer right? I might not be able to go here tomorrow and the days after. I have to go home" I said to her sadness evident on my voice. 

She stop walking and ask me hesitantly, "then, will you come here again next summer? I will wait for you!" 

I gave her my biggest smile and shouted "YES!"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter