Final

Metastasis

“If ‘Love’ is an entirety of its own, does that mean it can be broken down to pieces by something as equally strong as it is?” 

 

---

 

20 years down the road, the same couple who had been living in the same apartment for the past two decades woke up feeling different. It wasn’t the same thrill they had from when they first met each other, first went out together, first time doing things together… It was somehow obscure.. and cold. 

 

As the taller one of the two headed to the kitchen for breakfast, the other woman stared at the balcony on her right. Sunrays may be shining into the room as usual like every other day, but her heart says otherwise. After all, the last time they had a proper conversation was around years ago. Whoever said that old couples who understand each other may not need to converse with each other is a liar… 

 

---

 

Without saying goodbye, Hyewon locked the door of the apartment and headed to work, leaving Eunbi alone under the rooftop of their shared space. She walked carefully to the dining table in the living room after pouring herself a cup of water. Pressing the button on the remote control, her mind slowly transcended into an endless tunnel of memories stuck to her brain. 


 

---

---

 

It was an occasion that happened after a company event. With her bright and flowy red dress catching the attention of many, Eunbi was no doubt a stunning lady with high-praised visuals. Few comments here and there made the woman feel undoubtedly special, when she got almost close to none from her married wife years after their marriage. Coupled with a few flirty remarks, she relished in the short moments of pride she had. Of course, the sight had not gone unseen by her wife, who was silently soaking up all the feelings of negativity as she hesitated to step forward to her glowing partner. 

 

---

 

Drinking party could never be excluded out of the company’s celebration date. Hyewon, being exceptionally strong in holding liquor, was constantly bothered by her existing colleagues, regardless of gender. While the women were fawning over her strong and resilient character while climbing the corporate ladder, the men were trying to get to her nice side by complimenting on her looks, which pestered the woman much. Out of all the people present besides the two married couple, one stood out more brightly than the others, none other than the assistant director of the company, Miyawaki Sakura. For sure, Hyewon couldn’t simply ignore the pretentious yet straightforward comments by her drunk higher-ups and she calmly accepted what the woman had to offer. Perhaps the alcohol was slowly numbing her senses, she leaned in gently to Miss Miyawaki and pecked her rosy cheeks in front of her fuming wife. A scene that gained a wide range of reactions, as well as a permanent stain on their yellow-paged love. 

 

---

---


 

Torn away by feelings of confusion and anger, Eunbi rose from her seat while clutching onto the now-empty glass. Slowly making her way back to the reading room, she opened a file hidden in the corner of the bookshelf and read through the documents placed safely in it. When she hit the last word, an act of taking a pen off the table completed the seal on the paper itself. Now, she’ll wait for the trial to take place. For it to be finally over.