The Fiasco

The Lost Earring Fiasco

Wendy tried to tell herself that she has nothing to be nervous about. Sure, it was Sana who did all the moves in their not so short but intense relationship – it was Sana who asked Wendy out, kissed her first and said "I love you" before Wendy had the chance to. Even though Wendy knew Sana loved her and was committed to their relationship Wendy was still nervous about giving her the earrings that she got her in America. So far, they were as careful as humanly possible: no longing or knowing glances across the stage in music shows, no "accidently" matching outfit pieces. Their members didn't even know, save Momo and Seulgi, so they only spent time at each other's dorms when they were empty, close to empty, or when everyone was sleeping. Granted, it was easier at Red Velvet's dorm, where they only had to avoid four people instead of eight.

Now they were sitting on Sana's bed. Only Dahyun and Tzuyu were home, but they were pretty oblivious to the fact that Sana and Wendy were a little more friendly with each other then they thought. Both of them said "Hi Wendy unnie" when she walked in, but that was pretty much it.

"Hey, what's up?" Sana said when she saw Wendy's face, which still looked worried. "Is everything all right?"

"Yeah, it’s just…" Wendy trailed off. She studied Sana's face – she looked a little concerned. "You know what, screw it." Wendy decided that it's time to be bold (just rock the world). She loved Sana and she wanted to show it to the world, even if only the two of them knew. She reached for her bag and took out two identical boxes.

"I got these when we were on tour. I saw them and thought of you." She gave Sana one of the boxes and motioned for her to open it.

"Babe…" Sana was speechless, but Wendy wasn't sure if it was good or bad.

"Do you like them?"

"Of course! They're gorgeous!" Wendy gave a small sigh of relief. "Is that why you looked worried? You thought I wouldn’t like them?" Sana smiled widely at Wendy. She found it absolutely adorable when Wendy was trying to impress her.

"Well, a little bit, yes," Wendy admitted, "but also because of this." She opened the box still in her hands. It contained a pair of earrings which wasn't identical to the one she gave Sana, but similar enough.

Sana's eyebrows shot up, and then her face put on a softer expression. "Couple's earrings?"

"Well, I was thinking we could wear them for the next music show we are both on… They're not totally identical and we could wear our hair down so it’s not super noticeable," she added quickly when she saw Sana didn’t look very sure.

"We've been so careful…" Sana trailed off.

"I know," Wendy said, slightly disappointed. "Forget it, we don’t have to – "

"Oh, screw it," Sana said in almost the same manner Wendy did a few moments ago and threw herself on her girlfriend, kissing her.

"Wait, wait," Wendy said, trying to disconnect herself from Sana. "Does that mean…?"

"Ah ha," Sana said, a familiar lustful look taking over her eyes, roaming Wendy's body. "We have been careful, and people will just think it’s a coincidence". She took off Wendy's shirt and pushed har down on her back. "Besides," she added, removing her own shirt, "what’s the worst that can happen? Some weirdo on the internet will write a ty fanfiction where I call you 'unnie' when we have ?" Sana smirked and Wendy laughed. The laughter quickly died out when she covered to stop the moans that she almost let out. Man, did she love her girlfriend, she thought as she could feel Sana still smirking against her body.

 

A few weeks passed and Wendy and Sana barely had time to see each other – Wendy had some light schedules and Sana was working on a comeback with Twice. Even though they weren't able to see each other as much as they would have liked, they still texted all they could without raising suspicion and on more than one occasion woke up in the morning in front of their laptops, having fallen asleep while skyping.

Finally, after the MV for Fancy came out it was time for Twice to promote it on music shows. And then – at long last – some good news: Red Velvet and Twice were scheduled to go on the same show on the same day. Wendy could barely contain herself. So much so that her members noticed.

"Are you going to tell us what happened to make you so happy or are you just going to continue to sit there and smile like an idiot?" Sooyoung finally snapped.

"Umm…" Wendy blushed and looked at Seulgi, begging for help with her eyes.

Before Seulgi had the chance to say anything Joohyun intervened, lightly slapping Sooyoung's arm. "Let her have it. She had been in such a bad mood lately. It’s nice to see you smile for a change," she added after looking up at Wendy. "I was really beginning to worry."

Wendy gave a grateful smile to their leader who simply nodded and went back to her book.

Wendy was still smiling the next day when she got ready for the show, even though she was awake since 4:00 AM. When the girls went to their dressing room with their team, they came across Twice and their team. As they exchanged greetings and good luck wishes Sana caught Wendy's eye and simply tucked her hair behind her ear, revealing the earring that Wendy gave her. Wendy couldn’t help but smile again, blushing a little. Suddenly she felt Seulgi elbowing her side, saying "we should all go and get ready. Hwaiting!" They all waved goodbye and were pulled away to their respective dressing rooms.

"God, you're such a pabo for this girl," Seulgi whispered to Wendy when no one was paying attention.

"Well, if you were with someone as great as my girlfriend you’d be too," Wendy whispered back and laughed when Seulgi pretended to throw up.

Wendy pushed all of her thoughts aside when she got ready to go on stage. She loved singing, and even though she wasn't as comfortable with dancing her favorite part about performing was the feeling that took over her when she was on stage: she was focused, in her element, and for four glorious minutes at a time nothing was on her mind except the music and her member's voices, mixing so well with hers.

Her focus got even sharper when they got on stage for the recording of the live performance of Really Bad Boy. Her good mood made her feel like there is nothing she can't achieve. She put everything into the performance – so much so that she didn't even feel one of her earrings flying off.

After their performance they went back to their dressing room to cool off, watch the rest of the performances and wait until they would be called back on stage for the announcement of the winners. Wendy distracted herself by talking to her friends and playing some games. Being a popular group, they didn't have to wait for very long since their performance was scheduled toward the end of the show.

As they walked back to the stage, Joohyun, who is very observant, caught Wendy's arm. "Hey, where is your earring?"

Wendy instinctively reached for her earlobe, but the earring wasn't there. "Maybe you dropped it on stage earlier," Yeri chimed in. "Maybe someone will find it."

"Yeah, maybe…" Wendy trailed off. She tried to ignore the voice in her head telling that was trying to panic. Sure, she liked the earring and it did mean something to her and her relationship with Sana, but the memory is what counts – not the physical object. She could even imagine Sana telling her the same thing. Even though she felt less panic she was still a little upset when she took her place on stage alongside her members. She knew it was showing but she didn't mind all that much. BTS were a part of the show so no one really had any hopes of winning, since it was obvious that they will, and they did. Everyone clapped for them, bowed and congratulated them.

Taehyung was celebrating BTS's win with the members. Even though he knew everyone thought they will win, it was still a great experience, feeling this amount of love, especially in his home country. He was walking around on stage when he saw something sparkly and picked it up. For some reason he found it hilarious and showed it to Jimin, laughing. He smiled back, but still said "you should find who lost it." He had to shout over the loud music. Taehyung nodded. His hyungs were always trying to encourage him to be a better person.

After waving to the audience and the cameras one last time, Taehyung left the stage, earring still in hand, and headed back to the dressing room. He could just give it to his manager and he will find the idol who lost it. After a second thought he decided to not only show his hyungs that he is learning from them, but to also set an example for a possible hoobae. Detrained, he approached BTS's stylist: "noona, do you happen to know who could have lost it? Maybe a stylist friend of yours knows?"

The stylist looked up from the belt she was busy rolling. "Hmm… let me see," she took the earring from him and inspected it more closely. "This doesn't look familiar." Taehyung became discouraged. Could he have taken on a mission that was too big for him? There are so many idols, men and women, who wear earrings. "Wait a minute," the stylist said suddenly. "My friend is Twice's stylist and for the past three days she had been complaining that one of them is insisting on wearing a crystal earring instead of the one that she chose. I don't know for sure, but maybe you could try with them."

Taehyung's eyes lit up. He thanked the stylist and when he passed RM in his way out of the dressing room he gave him an approving look and a strong pat on the back.

After a quick look around he found Twice's dressing room. Suddenly he realized how this might look. Slightly worried he knocked on the door and hoped with all his heart (to fly with the dragons and) that a male stuff member will open the door. His prayer was answered, and a guy opened the door. When he saw Taehyung his eyes became narrow and Taehyung could feel himself becoming smaller under the man's suspecting look.

"Hello, I found this earring on stage and was wandering if someone here might have lost it," he said quickly and raised the earring in his hand as proof. The manager still looked suspicious but took the earring, turned around and called out "did someone lose an earring on stage?"

Momo, who was nearby, came over and inspected the earring. "It looks like Sana's earring," she said. "Sana!" she called out and Taehyung heard a non-specific sound replying. "Did you lose an earring on stage?" Sana approached, and even though Taehyung promised himself not to have an ulterior motive he had to admit that she looked stunning wearing an oversized hoodie that stood in contrast with her newly blond hair. For a wild moment, Taehyung imagined her being grateful enough for returning her earring to invitee him to have coffee with her. He quickly pushed the thought away from his head. He shouldn't even go there. Like the universe felt him struggle, Sana interrupted his thoughts. "it’s not mine, sorry".

"Are you sure? It looks like the one you were wearing," Momo questioned.

"Yes, I took mine off a minute ago."

"Okay, thanks anyway," Taehyung said politely. He really wanted to leave the manager's intimidating look.

"Wait, didn’t Wendy unnie wear – " Momo started but stopped abruptly and looked at Sana, terrified. Sana also looked a little pale but managed to speak calmly.

"I think you're right, Wendy unnie was wearing an earring like this one."

The manager finally gave up on giving Taehyung menacing looks in favor of looking at Sana and Momo, confused. "The same earrings as you?" He questioned.

Sana was averting everyone's gaze. "I guess we just have a similar taste," she replied quietly. The manager didn't look convinced but seemed like he wasn't going to press it any further. "I could take it back to her of you'd like," she finally looked at Taehyung.

Taehyung really wanted to take her up on her offer because the last thing he wanted was to go through another ordeal like this one. Before he could reply the manger interrupted: "that's very nice of you, Sana, but we don’t have time. We need to get all of you home."

"It’s really not a problem for me," Taehyung tried to reassure Sana who looked stressed for some reason. He reached his arm to Momo who still had the earring. She gave Sana a little look but placed the earring in Taehyung's open palm.

"Thank you, Taehyung sunbaenim," Sana said, still a little scared for reasons un beknown to Taehyung.

"Also, congragulations on your win!" Momo added quickly before the manager shut the door behind them.

Taehyung stared at the door for a moment. Why did Sana and Momo get so scared when they realized that the earring belonged to a member of Red Velvet? Are girls so worried about wearing the same thing as someone else? Coincidents happen, and sure, this was K-pop and fans do notice everything, but if anything, it was him who was definitely seen picking up the earring and people are going to make the connection to Wendy, not Sana. Maybe all these years not being able to really hang out with women made them aliens to Taehyung.

Wendy saw Sana's text message merely seconds before she heard a knock in the door of the dressing room. She leaped toward it but Yeri was quicker than her since she was closer. She gave her a weirded-out look and opened the door. Wendy was sure her terror was showing when saw Taehyung of BTS. He looked uncomfortable, like he knew how this might look to someone without context. She didn’t really blame him and hoped that that means he also wants to get this over with as fast as possible.

"Hi, I found this earring on stage earlier and I think that it belongs to Wendy noona." He looked like all he wants is to run away.

"Yes, I did lose mine, thank you," she said over Yeri's shoulder and tried to reach for it, but once again, Yeri was quicker and took the earring from the distressed boy.

"This is yours, unnie." She finally moved a little, allowing Wendy to step a little forward. "Aren't you glad someone found it? She was really stressed, you know," she turned to Taehyung.

"Well, you could always borrow Sana's earrings, she has a pair just like yours." He let out a little lough to show that he was merely joking, since Wendy's eyes went wide while Yeri's narrowed.

"Anyways, yes, thank you so much for bringing it back," Wendy said quickly after a few long seconds of silence between the three.

"Of course. Have a good night," he replied as fast as he could without sounding rude.

"you too, and congratulations on your win." Wendy shut the door and he stared at it for a moment. Then he shrugged and decided that it’s going to be awhile before he understands women, if ever.

Inside the dressing room Wendy made herself aggressively busy, not allowing Yeri the opportunity to ask her anything. 20 minutes later they were in the car back to their dorm and Wendy counted the seconds until she could pretend to fall asleep.

Yeri didn't give her the chance. "So, why do you and Sana have the same earrings?" she asked in a matter-of-fact tone that Wendy knew meant trouble for her. She saw Joohyun and Sooyoung sitting up in the corner of her eye. She didn't dare make eye contact with Seulgi, fearing her face will betray her.

She tried to keep her voice as even as possible when she said "I have no idea. Stuff like that happen all the time."

"It only really happens to couples," Sooyoung said in a similar matter-of-fact tone. Wendy was screwed and she knew it. She had no idea how she is going to get out of this one. Even though she got really good at hiding the true nature of Sana and hers relationship she was really bad at making excuses for where she's going in a new dress and full makeup when they have no schedules.

If she was going to tell them it is going to be now, but she didn't really know if she was ready. She never wished Sana to be near her as much as she did at that moment. She looked around, trying to find any sort of way out, and then Joohyun's eyes came into contact with hers. Just like the previews evening she was looking up from her book. Her eyes were digging holes in Wendy's soul.

Finally, she looked back down at her book and flipped the page. "So how long have you guys been dating?"

Yeri started coughing, Seulgi dropped her phone and Sooyoung began laughing uncontrollably as Wendy wished for the car to crush, kill all of them and put her out of her misery.

"A little less than a year," she answered before she could process what she had just done and blushed.

Sooyoung stopped laughing, Seulgi hit her head against the sit in front of her as she bent down to pick up her phone and Yeri spit some of the water she was trying to drink.

"Finally, some honesty, you are such a bad liar," Joohyun didn't take her eyes off her book. "Seulgi too. I figured it out months ago."

This time Wendy was the loudest participant in the chorus of coughing and general longing for the sweet relief of death.

After she was done chocking (but still blushing furiously) she took out her phone and wrote a text message: "Babe, tell me again what did you say was the worst thing that could happen if we wore couple's earrings to a music show?"