Toothache

Bunny (Teeth)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Monday blues. What's new? 

Going back to work after the weekend is always dreary. But this week might be the worst ever for Sojin.

Her toothache only managed to become even more painful over the weekend. The painkiller that made her survive through the weekend run out, and she need to go to work. The rain that started yesterday night only gets more powerful this morning. Nothing simply works well this Monday morning. 

"Good morn.... OH. What's with the long face? You look worse than the bunny on your bag" Yeri, her desk neighbour points out.  

"The worst toothache in my entire 23 years of existence" she deadpans. "And don't you dare mock my bunny! It has been with me longer than I've known you"

"Welp, I told you to go to the dentist last Friday and you didn't! You better make an appointment for after work today"

By the time lunchtime rolls around, her toothache comes with a bonus of banging headache. That definitely doesn't help with the onslaught of new sets of work needs to be done. It's very hard to focus, even lifting her head is already a chore. Food definitely doesn't help too, remembering the fact that the very problem stems from cavity. People who have tried a taste of dating always say heartache is worse than a toothache. But, Sojin strongly believes that this is worse than any heartache out there, or maybe those people just have never suffered from a toothache like hers. 

When the hour hand of the clock finally points exactly to number 5, Sojin can only heave a sigh of relief. The last 4 hours of work was hell. Her co-workers have been nothing but kind and sympathetic to her condition. It's just that their hands are tied with their own workload and can't help much with hers. The deadline applies to everyone after all. She tried her best to do her part, but the nagging toothache was too much too handle. So, she decided to keep the work for home and after a dose of painkiller. But first, the dentist's office. And thank God she's taking the bus today because she's sure as hell that she can only let Jesus take the wheel if she's driving today. 

***

To be fair, it's been quite a long time since she last visited her dentist, definitely way longer than the advised 6 months. Her usual dentist is a woman around her mother's age who is very kind and patient with all of her patients. Remembering all of the factors above, there's no way this pain is caused by the negligence of her angel of a dentist.

When her name was finally called by the nurse to come in, Sojin immediately stands up and manoeuvre to the familiar room. It was a surprise though, the first person she sees in the room is not doctor Lee. Instead, she is welcomed by a tall guy, probably around her age in a similar get-up her dentist usually wears. 

"Ah, is this the wrong room? I have an appointment with doctor Lee?" Sojin asks. 

"You're in the right room! I am her assistant. Please wait for a while, she's in the restroom." he answers amicably. His smile, for some reason, reminds her of a bunny. 

 

"Sojin! On what occasion do I finally have the honour to have your presence?" Doctor Lee asks jokingly as she walks into the room. 

"Toothache. It started around Friday last week and it has evolved into a massive headache today. Please don't rub it into my face that it's my fault for not coming here more often"

The senior doctor chuckles "I see. I'll just do the usual check first to see what's the cause. Oh! By the way, this is doctor Kim Doyoung. He just graduated so he's working as my assistant for now before opening his own clinic." He gave a slight bow and Sojin returned it. "Now, come here. Let's start!"

Doctor Lee cannot find any problem on Sojin's teeth, but she finds that her gum at the back is red and tender. So the doctor asks her to do an x-ray photo.  "Doctor Kim can show you the way to the x-ray room. I'll prescribe you some painkiller and anti-inflammation medicine for now, come back tomorrow for the result and see what

Please log in to read the full chapter