Chapter 1

Coffee, Crush & Child

“Are you sitting here to try and seem important?” Yugyeom teases, waking Mark out of his concentration. Yugyeom is giggling as he places Mark’s usual flat white on the table, carefully avoiding all paperwork Mark has scattered in front of him. He was trying to make sure everything was in order before the new month comes in and Yugyeom was just bothering him. He frowns at the younger.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he grumbles, swatting the air Yugyeom just vacated to avoid the abuse. “Shouldn’t you be working or something?”

 

Yugyeom pulls a face at him, ignoring his comment completely. “I know you’re actually here to spy on your Prince Charming. He is here with a toddler and you can’t resist, can you?”

 

Mark attacks again but yet again Yugyeom avoids him. Okay, maybe it was true. Maybe he was out here in the middle of summer at one of the corners, pretending to do a lot of work because he couldn’t see that man who has insisted to sit outside on this particularly sunny day. He glances at Prince Charming as Yugyeom has so kindly pointed out.

 

“I’m doing no such thing.” He mumbles in reply which elicits a louder laugh from Yugyeom.

 

“Well, I’ll just leave you to your useless pining here. Tell me when you finally decide to introduce yourself,” Yugyeom says, preparing himself to leave but Mark catches his wrist just in time. He pulls Yugyeom down so he can whisper to him so the other customers couldn’t hear.

 

“Do you think that’s his child?” Mark asked, unable to mask the slight nervousness in his voice.

 

Yugyeom glances at them. The child must only be 4 years old or younger. His laughter of glee as his ‘probable’ father pretends to fall over himself to catch the ball his ‘probable’ son has thrown at him. The sight is heartwarming to look at yet Mark’s stomach churns uncomfortably.

 

Mark’s thoughts spirals to the possibility that the child was Prince Charming’s and the possibility that it was likely that there was a partner somewhere out there; highly likely a wife. Which reduces all those days that Mark had spent pining on the very handsome, most probably straight and married Prince Charming who orders his morning coffee dressed in unnecessarily handsome business attire or accompanied by his colleagues during lunch break, to useless pining. Mark should have known and yet here he was, out in the hot sun to get more than a glimpse of his mystery man. 

 

Prince Charming (curse Yugyeom now he can’t drop the nickname) had only ever made an appearance on weekdays. So when he was here, early on a Saturday morning, Mark was caught off-guard. Throw in a four year old in the mix and Mark was basically a hot mess.

 

“Doesn’t he look a little too young to be a father?” Yugyeom finally answered, sending Mark a slightly worried look.

 

“You think?” Mark doesn’t dare hope but Yugyeom grows more worried and it just makes him feel a little guilty. Was it bad that he was falling way too fast?

 

“I don’t know, Mark,” Yugyeom says. “Talk to him. He is a regular after all. It’s good to introduce yourself to regular customers. It’s good for business.”

 

Mark nods, resigned. He couldn’t walk there and just introduce himself. It was hard enough to talk to strangers on the daily. It would be worse to try to sound coherent in front of his crush.

 

-o0o-

 

Mark nearly falls over his makeshift chair when a bouncy ball hits him on the side of his head. The force of the hit wasn’t likely to make him tip over (he would like to think he was stronger than that) but he somehow manages to find focus that it had caught him off guard. He turns to where the bouncy ball has bounced off after righting the unsteady stool under him, just in time to catch the small boy chasing the bright lime green ball completely unperturbed that his ball had almost whacked his head off.

 

His heart stutters as he realizes that it was him. Well not him, but his child. Sure enough, he sees Prince Charming running towards him with a panicked look on his face. 

 

“Sorry about that!” he calls when he was close enough. “It’s new so he gets a little obsessive about it.” His eyes follow the motion of the boy with a fond look on his face. Mark follows the line of his gaze and something in his stomach churns.

 

“In Jae-ah!” he calls, and the boy immediately pauses to turn to look the man. “Apologize to him! You hit him!”

 

“I’m sorry, Mister!” he says cutely, then going back to bouncing the lime green ball.

 

“I’m truly sorry. Did it hurt?” the beautiful man turns to him, concern immediately replacing the fond expression. Damn, he is so handsome in his light grey sweater and casual trousers a contrast to the usual business attire he dons on his usual coffee fix.

 

“No. It’s alright,” Mark answers a little hastily, touching where the ball hit him, placatingly. He pauses trying to contain his curiosity but it gets the better of him. “Is he yours?”

 

He mentally crosses his fingers hoping that it isn’t. Maybe it was his nephew or cousin or some friends child. His eyes scan for a ring but there was none. Hopefully, it meant something.

 

“Yeah, he is. Park In Jae, 4 years old.” the man smiles proudly, dimples forming on his handsome face. It’s unfair how that adorable smile breaks Mark’s heart. Mark should have known a good-looking guy like him would never be available. He withholds the frown threatening to show in reaction to his answer. It’s alright. He can be civil. Prince Charming was still a regular. He could not lose customers over a one-sided crush. He definitely needs to get over himself.

 

“You aren’t working at the counter today?” he says, snapping Mark out of his musings. Mark feels a wave of excitement when he realizes that Prince Charming remembers him. At least enough to know that he was usually behind the counters.

 

He shakes his head in reply. “The morning rush just died down, so Yugyeom has everything under control. Someone has to organize the roster for next month.”

 

“Oh, you’re the manager.” He says, looking slightly surprised.

 

“No, I’m actually the owner.” Mark cringes slightly, wishing he didn’t have to correct him, hoping it didn’t come off like he was showing off. He hated that.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t realize…” Prince Charming hangs his sentence awkwardly.

 

“It’s alright.” Mark stands from the wobbly chair, noting to himself that it needs replacing. “Let’s start again. Nice to meet you, I’m Mark. Owner of &Garden Cafe.” Mark smiles his best professional smile, extending his hand. That’s right. Yugyeom said he should introduce himself to his regular customers. He was only doing what was good for his business. He mentally pats his own back.

 

Prince Charming smiles, his eyes turning into beautiful crescents that kinda make Mark’s heart skip beats.

 

“Hello, Mark. I’m Jinyoung, single father to the rascal that hit your head with a ball, Park In Jae. Nice to meet you too.”

 

Jinyoung grasps his hand firmly shaking it and on contact Mark wants to melt into the ground from the force of single father Park Jinyoung’s smile.

 

-o0o-

 

Park In Jae, son of Park Jinyoung, is four years old. Mark tries not to think so hard about it because obviously he had no chance whatsoever. He was too handsome, not to mention probably straight considering the existence of Park In Jae.

 

It’s only a few days later that they arrive again at Mark’s cafe, late into the night for something to eat. Mark tries not to bother the father and son bonding time but Jinyoung is patient and affectionate with his son and it is impossible not to stare (hopefully discreetly). Jinyoung patiently listens to his son explaining what he drew and his selection of colours, joining his son in colouring despite only half-heartedly doing it. When its sufficiently late enough, Jinyoung gathers their things and walks to the cashier, where Mark pretends he wasn’t eagerly waiting.

 

“Appa, can I please have the rainbow cake. Please.” Jinyoung frowns at his son, checking his watch before speaking. It was an hour till closing and Mark guesses way past In Jae’s bedtime. Jinyoung was still dressed in his work attire, his shirt wrinkled, sleeves folded haphazardly, clear signs of tiredness on his features and yet still looked in his own way, handsome. How do humans this perfect exist?

 

“It’s late, In Jae. If you eat it now you’ll have a tummy ache.” Jinyoung tries to sound firm but it comes out appeasing. He picks up In Jae from the ground and cuddles him close to his arms when the little boy frowns.

 

“Can we come again tomorrow to get the rainbow cake?” He asks, eyes turning glassy with both tiredness and sadness from being denied rainbow cake.

 

Jinyoung glances at Mark who was perched on the counter, looking at the exchange, ready to bid them good night the moment Jinyoung had packed up all their things. He then turns to In Jae, voice full of regret, “You have school tomorrow, baby.”

 

In Jae’s eyes water and the beginnings of a temper tantrum surface on his face. Jinyoung starts bouncing him in his arms, sending an exasperated look at Mark. Jinyoung’s efforts, however, are wasted when In Jae lets out a loud cry. Jinyoung tries and hushes him to no avail.

 

“Hey, hey, In Jae. Don’t cry. Do you like the rainbow cakes?” Mark asks, reaching for In Jae’s small arm from where Jinyoung was carrying him. A teary In Jae nods.

 

“If you are a good boy and listen to your dad, I’ll give you all the rainbow cakes you want on Saturday for free. Hows that sound?”

 

“On Saturday?” he asks, adorably rubbing his eyes with his clenched fist. Mark nods.

 

“As many as I like?”

 

“As many as you can eat!” Mark says a little bit exaggeratingly that has In Jae smiling a little. He glanced nervously at Jinyoung, but the latter was just smiling, watching his son with the same fond look Mark has seen countless times before.

 

“Ok.” In Jae concedes, hiding his face in his father’s chest.

 

“Thank you,” Jinyoung mouths. He struggles slightly to work around carrying In Jae and reaching for his pocket. Taking out his wallet, he smiles (that very handsome one) at Mark and asks. “How much do I owe you for the fish and chips?”

 

“No worries.” Mark hastily answers. “It’s on the house.”
 

“Are you sure? I can’t accept that after you help calm this boy down!” He motions to his son who was quickly falling asleep on his shoulder. “Let me at least pay for the food.”

 

“No, no. I’m sure.” He allows himself to brush the top of In Jae’s head softly. His heart beating a little too fast as Jinyoung stares at his actions. Mark looks at Jinyoung, noting how tired and red they are from the days work and bearing the responsibility of his son. And yet the weight of it all doesn’t cower him. Mark sighs internally, he was too perfect.

 

Definitely out of your league, Mark Tuan.

 

 “Just having you and this little one here makes my day. It’s the least I can do.” Mark mumbles, looking away, suddenly shy from the weight of his words.

 

Jinyoung laughs a beautiful laugh, his eyes twinkling as he keeps his wallet, letting his beautiful smile linger towards Mark. It occurs to him that he would be giving out free dinner for the rest of his life to have Jinyoung smile like that at him everyday.

 

“Thank you, Mark. Good night.”

 

Mark just waves, feeling his heartbeat quicken from his name leaving Jinyoung’s lips spreading warmth in his chest. He has it bad. He knows and yet he doesn’t think there was a way out now. He was basically in for it now.

 

-o0o-

 

It doesn’t take long for them to form a friendship after that. Jinyoung comes around almost daily, In Jae usually in tow. He learns that Jinyoung works at a company nearby, in Sales, and sends In Jae to a nearby school. Some days, Jinyoung’s mother picks In Jae up to spend time with his grandson and to give Jinyoung a break. He also learns that Jinyoung’s two elder sisters sometimes take In Jae out with their own children for outings.

 

So despite the single father status he was supported and something about that eases Mark’s mind. Not that he thought Jinyoung wasn’t capable of handling In Jae all on his own. Jinyoung was a good father; amazing even juggling all his responsibilities. Somewhere in his mind, Mark thinks it’s one of the most attractive qualities about him and yet, there was so much more to him than just that. He was beautiful both inside and out and it drove Mark crazy.

 

On days In Jae wasn’t around, Jinyoung somehow manages to rope Mark into sitting at his table keeping Jinyoung company instead of doing actual work. And Mark learns quickly that Jinyoung is playful even if he thinks he is a boring soul. He is endearing in his failed efforts to make Mark laugh and witty at teasing Mark about his compulsive need to ensure the cafe was perfect, his treatment to his staff that was too ‘soft’ or his insistence that he was not ‘too kind’.

 

Jinyoung had even started talking to all his staff at the cafe. Despite the shift rotations he knew everyone, taking a special liking to Yugyeom and Bambam who are devils when it comes to embarrassing Mark in front of his crush.

 

“Jinyoung-hyung, don’t you think Mark works too much?” Yugyeom asked, standing by the table. Jinyoung was sipping on his coffee, nibbling on a sweet pastry as Mark pretended to do some work across him. Yugyeom and Mark both knew his work was just an excuse to sit with Jinyoung.

 

“He practically lives here!” Chirps Youngjae who was wiping down the counter. It was a mercy that Bambam was currently outside taking orders from the only other customers on this odd Tuesday evening.

 

“He doesn’t live here?” Jinyoung asks, carefully placing the pastry down, wiping his mouth before speaking. “I thought he did.”

 

“See that’s exactly my point!” Yugyeom points excitedly that Jinyoung sees it too. Mark is about to sound a protest when the yard door opens, bringing in a skipping Bambam who was calling out orders to Jaebum in the kitchen. He walks to their table, completely unaware of the conversation he had just interrupted.

 

“What were you guys talking about?”

 

“Nothing!” Mark half-shouts, trying his best to cut off Yugyeom’s answer of, “How Mark is always working.”

 

All his efforts were wasted though, because Yugyeom and Bambam are literally always on the same frequency that by one look, Yugyeom could have conveyed what he was trying to say to Bambam. They were connected by Wifi or something. Sometimes, it freaks Mark out.

 

“He works so much that Jinyoung-hyung thought he lives in the cafe,” Yugyeom explained while Mark pretends to pout. They were ganging up on him and he hates it. It was totally embarrassing.

 

“Hey, that’s not fair! I do have off days!”  Mark protests but the boys were ignoring him and much to his chagrin, Jinyoung was listening to them with rapt attention.

 

“If he isn’t at the cafe, which he usually is, he is at his parents. His life basically consists of this cafe. Thank god he has us as his staff who makes his life much better. We are basically his only friends!” Bambam rants.

 

“I’m his friend,” Jinyoung says, rather sheepishly.

 

Yugyeom and Bambam look at each other, quick enough that Jinyoung doesn’t get in on their private joke as the giggle overcome them but slow enough that Mark catches it and turns bright pink.

 

“We should celebrate!” Yugyeom announces as if he just had the most brilliant idea and Bambam starts jumping with excitement. Mark wants the floor beneath him to swallow him whole.

 

“We should have a barbeque and invite Jinyoung-hyung.” Yugyeom elaborates but he was basically already red from delirious chuckles.

 

“YES A PARTY!” Bambam squeals, jumping up and down.

 

“Did y’all say party?” Jackson called peeking from the small serving window of the kitchen, glancing at Youngjae who was cleaning the coffee machine. “I’ll bring some alcohol so then maybe we can get Youngjae to finally confess his feelings to Jaebum-hyung.”

 

Youngjae turns red as a tomato and everyone starts laughing.

 

Just then Jinyoung turns to him, leaning close as he whispers, “Youngjae likes Jaebum-hyung?”

 

Mark nods, afraid that if he speaks the closeness will translate to a whimper. Jinyoung hums in reply, momentarily leaning his head on Mark’s shoulder mumbling a small - i had no idea - before removing himself and acting as if it was nothing.

 

-o0o-

 

As it turned out, Youngjae could take is alcohol very very well and did not confess his long time crush to Jaebum. Instead, a very goofy drunk Jaebum was stammering trying to get words out of his mouth to say something that sounded much like a confession to Youngjae. And rather boldly he had done it amidst a party game, breaking everyone into awkward stares of chuckling.

 

Youngjae, an angel among the rest of the staff, merely said “Hyung, you’re completely drunk. Let me take you home,”

 

To which Jaebum turned more red than his usual drinking asian flush.

 

When they finally leave, they all groan in what could only be a breath of relief.

 

“Hopefully now they won’t be dancing around each other anymore,” Jackson said. On busy nights, Jackson and Jaebum work the kitchens and when their shifts coincides with Youngjae’s, Jaebum is a mess. Jackson hates it because Jaebum is an ultimate klutz where Youngjae is involved.

 

Jinyoung is pleasantly tipsy next to him on the love seat they had brought out in the yard for the occasion, laughing at any small comments the boys throw at him. Mark feels his heart inflate with affection for this family he had built and the inclusion of Jinyoung. He knows there is space for more; a space that looks a lot like a growing four year old boy.

 

“Jinyoung-hyung, where is In Jae? It’s been awhile since we’ve seen him,” Yugyeom pouts rather exaggeratingly to which Bambam pushes his face in mock annoyance. All five of them laugh at the exchange.

 

When the laughter dies down, Jinyoung takes out his phone. “My mother is babysitting him today but recently there was a school talent show and he performed and… Do you guys want to see?”

 

He starts playing a video on his phone of In Jae prancing on stage in a tree costume, jumping excitedly as people clap, nearly knocking over his classmates. It’s the most endearing thing and they all agree with a series of awws and ahs.

 

“I miss him. When will you bring him over?” Mark whispers to Jinyoung when Jackson, Bambam and Yugyeom take turns to imitate In Jae’s performance laughing loudly.

 

“You spoil him with too many rainbow cakes!” Jinyoung complains loudly, but he is doing that face which gives away that he is joking. He laughs further when Mark pouts. To placate Mark he scoots closer and places a hand on Mark’s arm. Mark notices how handsy Jinyoung becomes when he is like this, slightly inebriated. He leans into Mark with every movement, when he laughs, when he jokes. It both delights and drives him mad.

 

“I spoil you with coffee and pastries everyday,” Mark teases making Jinyoung blush. Jinyoung turns to him, glancing at his shoulder as if longing to lay his head there. Mark assumes that the alcohol has taken over and his head is heavy with it. His shoulder must seem inviting. However, Jinyoung just looks away.

 

“This is nice,” Jinyoung sighs loudly, closing his heavy lids for a second as if taking in the atmosphere. “You treat your staff like family.” he remarks.

 

“They are my family.” Mark says, matter-of-factly, but the bite in it must have showed because it seemed to shock Jinyoung.

 

“Yugyeom was right about what he said.” Mark said, eager to unknot the tension he unintentionally caused. “I don’t have many friends but I do have this cafe and all of the people who work here are family to me.”

 

Jinyoung is silent for a moment, playing with the hair behind his ear. “What about your parents?”

 

Mark hums, contemplating an answer. “It’s complicated.”

 

“Which part is complicated?” Jinyoung asked. “The successful cafe owner part?” He sounds as if he is upset that Mark’s parents would be anything less than proud of him. Mark could feel his cheeks heat.

 

“Nah. We have a good relationship. Like i visit and stuff. But it’s still quite complicated. The cafe part is ok.” Mark rambled. “It’s the gay part.”

 

Jinyoung makes a choking noise from where he was trying to drink, coughing loudly from the revelation. “Are you ok?” Mark asked, quickly slapping Jinyoung’s back.

 

When Jinyoung resurfaces, his eyes are red. He groans in pain to which Mark’s turns the smacking into of comfort.

 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. It took my by surprise.” He wheezes.

 

“My coming out?” Mark asked to which Jinyoung nodded. “Does it bother you?”

 

“Oh, dear, no. I just never expected that we had that in common.” Jinyoung intoned, taking Mark’s breathe away. “Being gay.”

 

It’s then that Mark realizes how close they have become. Jinyoung leaning towards him as he spoke in low tones, Mark rubbing circles on his back with the palm of his hand. His eyes are drawn the jinyoung’s glistening lips wondering at the back of his mind what it would be like to have those lips on his own. He watches Jinyoung watching his own lips, his heart surging at the realization that maybe, just maybe, he might want this too.

 

“Hey lovebirds! Stop flirting and judge which of us does the best In Jae impression!” Jackson shouts, making them jump apart.

 

“Yah! We weren’t- aren’t…” Jinyoung protests but his ears are practically boiling by the colour of it. The three fiends cackle.

 

Mark is embarrassed by them - their teasing and inappropriate behavior - flushed to his chest with the feeling and yet he still feels happiness spread over his chest like a warm blanket.

 

He sits among his friends; his family in his cafe. Full with food, laughter and contentment.