Part 1

Odd-Numbered

A girl with distinct eyebrows stood waiting near the school entrance with great anticipation. A blue-colored letter stayed unwrinkled in her sweaty palms. She looked around the vicinity when the school bell went off. 15 minutes passed and she wasn’t spotted leaving school. 

 

“Well, she’s probably held back. I’ll try another day then.” The girl who caught the security’s guard left the scene almost as immediately as she came. 

 

---

 

Another day came and the same girl didn’t appear after the school bell went off. And again, the mermaid left in the same pattern. 

 

---

 

“Jungeun ah, why don’t you at least acknowledge her presence at least once? She’s been waiting at the same spot for the past 2 years.” Jiwoo stated her point when she sat with her friend. 

 

“How would you know about that?” The girl shoved in a piece of bread in a hasty manner, as if wanting to avoid the topic as quickly as she could. 

 

“I always spot her near the parking lot, where we used to hang out together. Just saw her yesterday as well when I was on the way home.” The penguin cut off a slice of pancake from her lunchbox. 

 

“She doesn’t matter to me much anymore, not after what she did.” The owl looked down and played with her food for a while, before taking one final bite. 

 

“Hmm. Another thing though, she was holding something like a letter in her hands. Maybe it was meant to be for someone from our school? I mean, she probably wouldn’t have the perseverance to wait for you for that long right?” Jiwoo added in before the girl took her leave. 

 

“...”