finale

╮like father ↻ like daughter╰
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Heechul sighed as he plopped down in the only empty bus seat left. It had been a long day of walking around in circles at the local bookstore. It didn’t pay very much, but Heechul loved working there; they also worked around his daughter's school schedule. He only had to work the third weekend of the month, and he was lucky that Kibum had offered to take Minah those weekends so Heechul could work without worry. He didn’t trust just anyone to watch his rambunctious four-year-old. Over the years, too many sitters have left a bad taste in his mouth. Too many would leave Minah in dirty diapers for too long or not feed her enough, and there was that one he had to have arrested because she spanked Minah. Heechul knew he was picky when it came to Minah's care, and he had a valid reason to be. He had Minah at sixteen with only Kibum there to help him. He had to learn how to care of himself and a tiny human. It had been hard.  

The sound of the bus’ doors opening, brought him out of his musing. Two more stops until he got to his stop. He pulled out his phone and sent a quick text to Kibum, to let the other know he was a few minutes away. He got a message back before his stop came up. A picture of Minah smiling, her puffy cheeks even puffier with noodles hanging out of . Heechul checked the time, 7:37 pm. It was way past dinner time, that girl and food, just like her daddy. He laughed as he locked his phone and stood to leave the bus once it came to his stop.

The sun was starting to set, so it was a quick and brisk walk to the apartment. He entered to the sound of Minah's giggles and Kibum complaining about eyelashes being a pain. “Eyelashes?” Heechul mumbled to himself as he slipped off his sneakers and walked through the house looking for the duo.

“I’m back!” He called as we walked through the hallway. He came to a halt when he spotted Kibum sitting on the floor in front of the couch with Minah on the sofa, her hands in Kibum's hair. Kibum’s entire face was covered in make-up, blue eyeshadow all over his eyes, blush on one cheek, red lipstick all over his lips and down his chin. He had one fake lash on, and the other was hanging off on one side.  Kibum’s hands were in the air, waving them to dry them off, his nails bright pink.

“Oh, my. Minah, honey,” Heechul barely got out before he started to laugh a deep belly laugh. How in the world had they gotten so much make-up on Kibum in the short time it took to walk from the bus stop? 

“What? I'm beautiful.” Kibum said in a proud tone. Minah nodded her head in agreement. Heechul was so glad that Kibum was his best friend. The one friend that hadn’t walked out of his life when he told them he was pregnant. The one person who helped hold his hair back when he spent hours with his head in the toilet. The one person who made sure he ate and slept. The only person who had been with him when Minah was born. He was more then Minah’s uncle and Heechul’s best friend; he was their family.

Heechul kept laughing as he walked over to kiss Minah on the cheek. “He is beautiful Minah, did you have fun with Kibum today?” He questioned her as he plopped down beside her.

Minah nodded her head and started to ramble on about all of the things they did while Heechul at been at work. A lot of running around and eating. Whenever these two were together, all they did was eat and play. It’s a miracle they haven’t eaten him out of house and home.

After a few more minutes of Minah talking his ear off, he patted the girl's head to get her attention.  “Alright, Minnie, let's let Kibum go wash up, it’s time to get ready for bed.”  

“Okay, daddy!” The girl smiled and hugged Kibum from behind before she got up to walk to her room. Heechul closed his eyes and laid his head back; a content sigh left him. Heechul propped his feet up on the wooden coffee table, entirely content to ignore Kibum. He listened to the sounds of Minah moving around her room, to the sounds of Kibum washing his face in the kitchen. It was quiet,  it was blissful, and then Kibum had to speak.

“Long day?” Kibum questioned him as the younger sat beside him, the other legs dropped into Heechul’s lap. He groaned and leaned against the younger.

“I’m so tired, Kibum. It’s Sunday, why are bookstores so busy on Sundays?” Heechul pouted. 

“Eh, I don’t know hyung. Why do people even buy books any more? There are electronic versions of them.”

“Shut up, Bummie, I’m too tired to think.” Heechul snuggled deeper into the couch and Kibum’s side. There was too much to do; he still needed to put a load in the washer and make sure Minah’s toys were picked up. He also needed to sort out his bills and make sure he had enough money in his account to pay them.

“So… hyung, you know how you owe me, right?” Kibum asked in an accusatory tone. Heechul sat up and looked at Kibum, brows furrowed.  

“I owe you?” Heechul shook his head. “I don’t owe you anything.”

Kibum moved to the other side of the couch, Heechul noticed that he was now out of hitting range. The other's fingers were twisted in the edge of his shirt. “Do you remember that guy I was telling you about?”

Heechul cocked his head to the side, squinting, “Maybe? That buff guy?”

“Yes, hyung! Gosh, he’s so beautiful,” The younger let out a dreamy sigh. Heechul waved a hand at him. “Anyway, last weekend we were supposed to have a date, but you had to go to work at the last minute because that coworker called out again?”

Heechul scoffed at him, “Really, Kibum?” This kid was crazy. It wasn’t his fault that Kibum missed his date, okay, it was, but it didn’t mean anything. Kibum missed dates all the time to hang out with Heechul and Minah. Why is now any different? 

“Yes. So, I want to have a lunch date with him. He said he had a friend from China, and I said I’d bring you along. Tomorrow. Since I know it’s your day off, and Minah has school. So he doesn’t have to be alone. Also, you 'cause you owe me.” Kibum rambled the last bit out, but Heechul caught the gist of it

“A date, Kibum? You’re setting me up on a date?” The elder crossed his arms and frowned at the other. This was unbelievable. “No. Kibum. Sorry. I don’t need a date. I don’t need anyone around Minah; she’s too little to be introduced to all different kinds of men like that.” Heechul shook his head and moved to stand. Kibum grabbed his sleeve and pulled him back down.

“I’m not asking you to bring him home, hyung. Just have lunch with us. If you don’t like Hangeng, then you can make an excuse and leave. This isn't the first time you've had lunch with someone you didn't end up dating. Just lunch, hyung? Please, for me?” The younger pouted, bottom lip sticking out. 

"No.” Kibum’s lip stuck out even more, and he started to wiggle in place like a small child “Please hyung! I really want to have lunch with him, and he can’t come without his friend.” Heechul sighed at the pitched volume of Kibum's voice.

“No, Kibum,”

Before Kibum could ask again, Minah walked out of her room in footed bunny pajamas, a bunny-eared hat on her head, and book in her hands. “Daddy, it’s storytime.” Heechul pulled his arm from Kibum’s grasp and stood. He picked Minah up to place her on his cocked hip. “Okay, Minnie, let's go read that book.” He turned towards to walk out of the room and looked over his shoulder at Kibum. The younger looked utterly broken-hearted, like Heechul had spit in his cereal.

“Fine Kibum, one lunch, you’re paying, and I don’t want to hear another word about me and d-a-t-i-n-g.” Heechul left before Kibum could say another word.

Heechul placed Minah in her bed and tucked her snuggly under her soft yellow blankets. He sat beside Minah and leaned against the headboard. Heechul started to read softly, to help lull the tired four-year-old to sleep. She passed out by page three. The rest of his night was spent organizing the living room, folding a pile of clothes from the line on the balcony, then he had showered and fell asleep without another thought about any dates.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

The next morning Heechul woke to Minah jumping on his bed. He let out an annoyed huff and tackled the small child. He tickled under her arms, and her chin, her squeals of laughter was enough to make him being woken up way too early to be okay. The rest of the morning was spent with getting Minah ready for pre-kindergarten and feeding her and Kibum breakfast. 

After Kibum and Heechul walked Minah to the daycare center, the two then went back to the apartment and Heechul went back to bed for a nap. It wasn’t every day that he could take a nap. He usually spent his days off catching up on laundry or cleaning. 

An hour or so later, he was woken from his sleep by Kibum shaking him. “What, Bummie?” He groaned out. The other shook his shoulder again. “You need to get ready for lunch, hyung” The younger stated as he smacked Heechul on the . The elder groaned and rolled over. He had agreed to this, so he had to go. At least he wouldn’t ever hear Kibum complain about him needing to go on a date again.

Heechul rolled out of bed and changed into a pair of skinny black jeans, white graphic tee with black and gray geometric shapes on it, and a plaid sport coat with black lapels. He brushed out his short hair, not even bothering to put anything in it. It was getting long again; maybe he’ll let it grow out this time. The male then brushed his teeth and grabbed his phone, wallet, and keys before following Kibum out of the apartment. This ‘date’ could go downhill fast, and Heechul wanted to make sure he had a way to leave if it was as bad the last few had been.

Kibum chattered about everything as they took a bus to the cafe they were supposed to meet Kibum’s guy and his friend. Heechul wasn’t feeling great about this; usually, men run off as soon as they find out he has a daughter. The stereotype and prejudice of being a single father and a carrier made it hard for him to date. Many people looked down on him because they thought he was an abomination. There isn’t many males on the planet that could carry and the ones that could were all over the world. If evolution didn’t think that males also needed to have a womb, then why would they have developed one? It was something he tried not to think about often.

They arrived at the cafe quickly enough. It was a cute place with a relaxed atmosphere and a back patio for guest to sit under nature and drink their coffee or tea. Heechul jolted when Kibum grabbed his arm and started to pull him in the direction to the cafe’s back patio.  He followed the other with a low groan.

 “Kibum, can I leave? I don’t think I can do this,” He begged. The younger tightened his hold on Heechul’s sleeve. 

“No, Heechul hyung, you’re staying.” Was Kibum’s reply.

“But I don’t want to. Bummie, I’m gonna throw up,” He mock whispered. His stomach rolled with nausea. Heechul groaned again.

There was no fighting it now, they had been spotted. A man that Heechul didn’t recognize rose from his chair and hugged Kibum as soon as he was close enough. The guy was huge. He must have at least twenty pounds of muscle on him, and three or four inches of height on Kibum. But holy cow was he hot.

The large male then turned to Heechul and bowed his head in respect. “Hello, I’m Siwon and this in Hangeng. Hangeng, this is Kibum and his friend Heechul.” Heechul bowed his head back and then looked over at the other male still seated at the table. When the male stood, Heechul had to force himself to swallow the excessive amount of saliva that was suddenly in his mouth. If this Siwon guy was hot, the friend was on fire. He was wearing dark blue jeans, a black tee-shirt, a leather jacket that looked well-loved, and a pair of slim sunglasses. Now, he couldn’t knock Kibum’s attraction for this Siwon, but this Hangeng fella was just his type. Tall, lean with a hint of muscle under his clothes. He can only hope that he wasn’t an .

Heechul bowed his head at Hangeng as the male spoke. “It’s nice to meet you, Heechul.” Heechul his lips as he tried to form a coherent sentence. What the was wrong with him? He hadn’t been this stupid when he met his baby daddy; he needed to snap out of this and speak. Just because he was pretty didn’t mean he wasn’t an . 

With a hard shake of his head, Heechul shook the hand that was outstretched in front of him, not having noticed it before. Hangeng’s palm was soft, his fingers were rough, and Heechul found that he liked the contrast. “Nice to meet you Hangeng,” he couldn't help but stare at the other's features, trying to see his eyes behind those glasses. 

 He heard Kibum snort from beside him. “Heechul hyung, let go of his hand and sit down. You're being creepy.” Heechul blinked and realized that he must have been staring at the other for longer than was polite. He dropped Hangeng’s hand and sat in an empty chair. Kibum pulled his chair closer to Siwon’s and was already draped on the male's arm like a blanket. The two chatting away about what they did for the last few days. 

Heechul turned back to Hangeng and noticed that the other was still wearing dark sunglasses. It wasn’t that bright out here on the patio, so it was a little rude of him to be wearing sunglasses. He wouldn’t say something though, this wasn’t going to last long once the male found out about Minah, so there was no need to be rude to a person he’ll never see again.

Just then Siwon stood up and motioned at Kibum and himself while talking to Heechul, “We’re going to grab some drinks, do you want anything?” Heechul nodded his head and asked for a sweet concoction that he didn’t usually let himself have. The male didn't want to gain any more weight then he has over the last few years. Siwon repeated the order and then glanced at Hangeng. “Stay, hyung; I’ll get your usual. Watch him, Heechul; he likes to wander off.” 

Heechul laughed as Hangeng sputtered out an attempt at ‘what’ as Siwon and Kibum walked off. He was still laughing as he turned back to Hangeng. It was then he realized that the others had gone to order the drinks for them so that Hangeng and he would be alone for a few minutes. It gave him time to discover if Hangeng was an or not. Then get the out while Kibum was distracted. 

“So, Heechul, Siwon didn’t tell me that Kibum was bringing anybody,” Hangeng said to him. 

“Really? Kibum said that Siwon wouldn’t come if he didn’t bring someone to pawn you off on,” Heechul paused and gasped.  “I’m sorry that came out wrong. Please ignore my horrible mouth.” He bowed his head, his cheeks bright red in embarrassment. Heechul’s mouth usually speaks before his brain can catch himself. 

Hangeng laughed instead of being offended. “It’s okay, Heechul, Siwon likes to be a pain in my . No harm.” Heechul let out the breath he had been holding. While he hadn’t been expecting to stay for lunch, he was pleasantly surprised by the fact that he wanted to stay. It was hard for him to be around people that were his age; he was used to being around his daughter and the college students that visited the bookstore. 

“Kibum is a pain in my too, no respect from these kids.” He huffed out as he crossed his legs to get more comfortable.  

“Since we are both here under pretenses, we should mess with them,” Hangeng said while he wiggled his eyebrows at Heechul. The male laughed but shook his head. “No, that could make Kibummie cry, he’s rather sensitive.” 

“Ah, then it wouldn’t be fun. Well, tell me about yourself?” The other asked. 

Heechul propped his elbows on the table and set his chin in his hands. “Hmm… I’m rather boring, I have a daughter, and I work at a bookstore a few blocks from here. It’s called ‘Leaflets,’ do you know it?” The other male shook his head, he skimmed over the daughter part rather quickly, to see if th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter