Chapter 1

Limited

"S2. Where is S2?" I sighed as I read the labels of the seat. We are having an annual team building and we have to ride a bus to get to our destination. I was assigned to seat S2. It was a bit far back and I had to work my way through the crowd who's trying to locate their seat assignment as well.

 

"S2. Here it is." I said. "Are we seating together, MinHee?" Eunhyuk said.

 

Eunhyuk is a new employee. How would I describe him? He's thin but well built. He has a sharp jawline. He looks like a monkey, but he's adorable. I remember when he was introduced together with the other new employees and he immediately got my attention. He is also younger than me. I'm not sure how young, or how many years we are apart, but he is definitely younger than me. 

"Ah, yes. If you don't mind?" I smiled.

 

He offered me the seat beside the window which I gladly took. He sat beside me and we were back to our own business. I was fumbling through my phone and he was playing his game.

 

Our bus started moving and as we maneuver our way through the streets I felt the urge to sleep. I pulled off an all nighter as there are some reports that I need to submit before I can relax and think of nothing but this getaway. We are going to the sea and it's been a while since I was able to breathe in some fresh air.

We work for an oil company and we are part of the marketing team. I am already a team leader and I am aiming to be promoted before the end of this year so there are a lot of tasks that I requested to be assigned to me, in order for me to be recognized.

I wish to be rich and to never have to work again at least five to ten years from now.

 

I let my thoughts trail off as I felt myself slowly embracing the need to rest, and off the dreamland I go.

 

---

 

She looked so tired. I wonder if she's getting any rest. She is the first one to come in to work and the last to leave. I can't help but admire the dedication she has, but somehow, I can't help but think of how lonely her life must be, as she doesn't seem to have anything but her career.

 

My hand felt like it has a mind of its own because I slowly leaned her head on my shoulder so she could use it as a support. She must be too tired because she turned a bit to my direction and placed her arm over me as if she was hugging a huge pillow.

I let my head rest over hers, closed my eyes, and hoped that whatever she is dreaming I could dream too. I can't remember how we got to our destination, I just remebered hearing our manager yelling as loud as she can to announce that we have arrived.

 

--- 

 

"Girls dormitory are to the left, boys to the right. Now chop chop people, you need to be back before 7pm so we can all have dinner together."

---

 

I was horrified when I checked my phone after taking a shower. It was a photo of me and Eunhyuk sleeping in the bus, for what it looked like I was hugging him and he was resting his head over mine. "I took a photo of you. You look good together." It says, it was a message from our manager.

 

I went downstairs to the dining hall to join the others, carefully making my way through the stairs and hoping that I will not be bumping into Eunhyuk, but there goes my luck. He was there just below the staircase.

 

"Minhee. Manager Park sent me a photo.." I did not let him finish. 

"I'm sorry. It was my fault, I won't do it again." I said as I walked fast towards the dining hall.

 

I know he was following me so I sat beside some colleagues and prayed that he will not join our table. He did not.

After eating, everybody went back upstairs to their respective rooms as we were tired. I went back to mine and laid flat on my bed. I tried to get some sleep but I can't brush my thoughts off. I was thinking about the photo and I can't help but be flustered because he... well he looked ethereal while sleeping.

 

I tossed and turned for almost an hour until I decided to go out to the balcony to breathe some fresh air.

 

"Minhee." I froze.

He is right behind me and I don't know what to do.

 

"Minhee. Can I just talk to you for a bit?" He asked.

I nodded. He walked towards me and stood beside me. He rested his arms on the railing and he looked up the sky. There were too many stars that night and he is the brightest.

 

"There's nothing to apologize. You were asleep. I was asleep. I honestly agree that we look good together." He said.

"I'm sorry?" I asked. A bit baffled.

"I like you, you know. I thought you would have noticed because whenever you passed by our desk I always come up with an excuse to make you stay and continue talking to me." He said.

"But you're still young!" I exclaimed.

 

It must have not been the reaction he was expecting because I seem to have offended him based on how he is looking at me.

 

"Minhee. I'm not a kid. I'm not a minor, I finished school. I have a job. A very decent job that pays a lot." He explained.

"But you have your whole life ahead of you. This world has lots to offer and I don't want you to make me your priority. There are a lot of things that you still have not experienced." I said.

"I'm not a , Minhee. If that's what you're saying." He argued.

"I'm not saying that! And whether you are or not does not really matter. This argument is exactly the reason why I think you're still young." I said.

He was about to say something else but I shut him off as I made my way back inside. I know he means well, but I am of many things. I am getting older every year and I still don't know what I want with my life. I spent my younger years being in a relationship after another because I thought I was lonely. It took me a while to realize that it is not. So as much as he is being honest I just can't let his feelings get in the way of my plans. Until I am financially stable I am not going to get into any relationship and that's final.

 

---

"Very intelligent thing to say Eunhyuk." I muttered as I smacked my head lightly.

 

Now she will never like me. No wonder she thinks I'm too young. She probably thinks I'm naive too, but I have sincere feelings and I really like her. I remember when she was teasing me about not being able to join a team lunch out because I may be on a date. Then I asked her if she has anyone she likes in particular within the office because I was hoping she would say my name. But she said she is not interested in anyone at the moment. So I said that we can just work our off and be rich and then we can go somewhere else, probably to a different country and just look for our soulmates there. I was hoping she will take the hint that I want us to go somewhere and just be together. 

 

But she didn't.

And I still admire her.

 

---

 

"Good morning! We have a variety of breakfast for you so please eat your hearts out before we start with our activities." Manager Park announced

 

I wanted to seat with her but she doesn't seem to be in a good mood. She glanced to my direction and for a moment I caught her eyes. I wanted her to look at me longer but she shifted her gaze immediately.

 

---

 

I caught him looking at me and as much as want to stare at him a bit more I know I will just fluster so I shifted my gaze. I don't have the appetite right now but I know that I needed to eat something because later we will be hiking and I need energy. I wasn't able to sleep at all last night because I can't stop thinking about him! 

 

"Please rest a bit, prepare you stuff. Your safety kit is on the desk outside with your nametags on it so please, in an orderly manner, take yours. We'll leave in 30 minutes." Manager Park announced.

 

Even when she said to get our kit in an orderly manner most of them ran off. I went to the comfort room first as I know it may take a while before they settle down. I frowned upon looking at my reddish eyes. How will I go hiking when I am too tired. How high was the mountain again? 

 

When I went to the hall most of them already has their own kit. I went to the table to look for mine but I can't seem to find it.

 

"I'm sorry, Minhee. I took yours, just incase it gets lost." Eunhyuk said.

He doesn't seem to be too jolly. Was it my fault? Was I too harsh last night? 

"Thank you." I said as I took the kit from him.

"I'm sorry, for last night, for the things I said. I wasn't thinking and I just wanted you to listen to my excuses." He said.

 

I looked at him. I wanted to say something but I can't think of anything to say. I don't want my response to open new hopes for him so I thought that maybe being civil would be the best thing to do so I just nodded and joined the rest as they went out of the resthouse.

 

We had to walk 14 kilometers to get to the bottom of the mountain, we were given water bottles and were asked to do some stretching before we begin the hike. I let my thoughts wander and before I knew it I was already looking at him.

 

---

 

They said to do some stretching so we can avoid muscle sprain later on once we begin the hike. I started to stretch my arms, then my legs, then my neck. I was moving my neck in circular motion while my eyes are closed. When I opened them I saw her, looking at me.

 

Why is she looking at me? Why do I enjoy being stared at by her? If she's going to be like this, how am I supposed to refrain myself from doing something stupid again? 

 

"Attention everyone, please be in pairs and fall in line. We will now start to hike." Manager Park said.

 

I started walking with the group. I was ahead, she was at the far back. Here, you can see girls gossiping, some are looking at the view, others are taking photos of the scenery. And she, well, she seemed to be lost in her own world just following the trail. I wish I can get through what's inside her head.

 

We were halfway through the mountain and everyone is tired. We were walking for more than an hour now. We were given sandwiches and more water to replenish our energy. I watched as she silently ate. She doesn't seem to be tired though. She was seating alone over a large rock and I just can't help but make my way towards her.

 

"Are you having fun?" I asked.

"I think? I guess so?" She answered.

 

I really like her. As superficial as it sounds, I am liking her even more over the passing minutes. 

 

Since nobody can hear us from here as everyone is chitchatting and some are taking a power nap. I decided to stay. I sat on the soil in front of her, and I was awarded by a confused stare.

 

"Can I just, look at you like this?" I asked.

"This is really awkward, Eunhyuk." She said.

 

I sighed. I didn't want her to feel uncomfortable. But right now, what is the use of hiding what I feel when I've already told her? I am trying my best to resist how I feel because I don't want her to ignore me completely, but it's not the easist thing to do. Is it?

 

---

 

To be honest. I really don't have any problems with dating or being with a younger guy. I just don't think it's fair for him because again he still has a lot of things ahead of him that I want him to enjoy. I also don't think that it's fair for me, because right now if I'm going to see someone I would already want to settle with that someone, and I can't do that to him. Not right now that he still has all the means to live his life to its fullest.

 

But why is it that everytime I look at him I couldn't help but think what it would be like if we kiss? 

 

Crazy. Stupid. I need to scold my self for even thinking that. This is just a crush. Aside from the fact that we work on the same company and on the same department, I really don't know him that much. And that, scares me a little bit.

 

--- 

 

It was around five in the afternoon when we finished the hike and made our way back to the rest house. I can see how tired she was and her face looked a little bit distressed so I approached her.

 

"Are you ok, Minhee?" I asked.

"I'm fine, Eunhyuk. So please leave me alone." She said.

 

And that is how this team building ended. With a fragile memory and a pain in my chest. With her words echoing inside my head. With the question of what the reason could be? Is it just my age? Is it because she doesn't want to be in a relationship? Is she gay? I will never know now.

 

---

 

Will I be able to talk to him again? Would he think I was crazy for acting like that? Would he think that I am way over above my head? Will he understand? Will he like me still even if I did not show the faintest sign that I actually like him too?

 

My phone vibrated and was surprised to see a message from him.

 

"I can switch seats with someone else if it will make you feel uncomfortable to seat beside me during the bus ride back home." It says.

 

S2. My seat assignment for our service bus is S2. And it is beside him.