Prologue #1

Wooing the Barista
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wow. After 2000 years, I finally post an update. It's just a short introduction chapter to Jongin's background. There'll be a chapter for Sehun too and then we'll jump straight into plot hehee. I'm sorry for the long wait. Enjoy!

 

——————————

 

It was during middle school when Jongin discovered his passion in not just drinking but also brewing and crafting coffee. One evening after so many boring classes, Jongin made an escape to the town and eventually found tranquillity inside an establishment known as ‘The Jitter Café.’ Still so young at that time, he used to frown at the mere thought of having the dark liquid sipping down his throat – not until he came to the taste of hazelnut mocha latte, the café’s signature drink. The thin yet creamy hazelnut milk mixed with ounces of strong coffee then softened by hot chocolate had showed Jongin a whole new world he never knew existed.

He fell in love.

He became curious. For so long, Jongin had learned that coffee equals to bitter but how could it taste so heavenly when mixed with just a little of milk and chocolate. Curious, so curious – Jongin seek for answers, also met with more questions. He ended up befriending the old man who ran The Jitter Café during first year high school after so many visits and buys. Little by little, the man taught him to make the perfect coffee. Jongin found out then, there was nothing else he wanted to do but coffee, for the rest of his life.

When the end of high school approaching, while the other students were busy filling in forms for universities or employments, Jongin was busy crafting new recipes. Café owner, Mr Park, had agreed to hire Jongin full time after his graduation – only after so many persuasions. Jongin secured barista as his occupation and he never felt more accomplished, not even when he took the first place in exam for three times straight.

Unfortunately, after several years passed, Mr Park caught illness. His health decreased as the days went. When he started to get bedridden, he had called for Jongin, files and papers scattered all over his bed with a stern looking lawyer standing by his side. Looking no better than deer caught in red light, Jongin carefully inched closer. Together, they went through the stack of papers and by the end of the night, Jongin was the new owner of The Jitter Café. Mr Park passed away not long after.

Due to several legal problems, Jongin had to rename the café before he could start the business again. He recruited his childhood friend as helping hands and several more employees followed. It was a small town with not many customers. Jongin found himself with too many free time and very little money to keep the place going. He stayed up at nights thinking what he should do. His mom was the one who gave him the brightest idea while his sister stepped into the mix.

Soft Daisy Café started serving delicious sweet treats such as cakes, donuts and pies all made by Jongin with the help of his sister’s talent in cookery. It did not take him long to master the techniques and soon he was developing his own recipes, again. He redecorated the interior, decided to put up some of his paintings from high school to make up for the blank walls. The café was steady afterwards. He did not earn much to live in luxury but enough to feed himself and his family, to pay for rent and his employees. He was happy and sated.

 

“One cup warm chai tea and a slice of red velvet cake, dine in.” The order rings through the small café. Jongin only responds with a soft murmur of ‘okay’ that isn’t directed into anyone in particular. Another one added to to-do list. His co-barista taps on his shoulder, indicating that he’s taking the order so Jongin could make a pass on it.

Soft Daisy Café is a small establishment owned by Kim Jongin, located in Jeonju, about 3.5 hours of drive from Seoul. It is a two-storey building: the first floor being the café meanwhile the second floor is his makeshift living space slash office. Jeonju isn’t as busy as Seoul, it’s a rather peaceful town thus business is good as it is. The elders aren’t exactly into fancy coffee drinks, whereas most of the younger ones moved to bigger cities.

During morning rush hours, his customers mainly consist of nearby university students and office employees, those desperate for caffeine boost to start their morning. After introducing heavier food into the menu, Soft Daisy receives fair number of customers during lunch time. As for the rest of the days, there would be several very little students or couples who stop by to bath in the amity ambience the café provides, all thanks to Jongin’s investment in redoing the interior design.

“Mr Kim,” There’s another pat on his shoulder, this time heavier and he knows that it’s not from his co-barista. Jongin takes a glance to the back and finds his café attendant is looking at him timidly, perhaps apologetic for interrupting his working rhythm. He smiles at the younger and urges him to continue. “There’s someone who would like to meet… I mean, talk to you.”

It is certainly not the first time a customer would request to meet the owner. Normally, it’s either to praise his coffee or to complain about just everything related to their experience in his café. He sign

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter