Final

Break-In

“23:00” 

 

The clock on the head consultant’s table beeped. She turned back to the object and switched it off. Before she could take another step, a loud clang of glass shattering on the floor below hers could be heard. 

 

“Who could it be?” The doctor panicked since it’s been a long while since there was an unexpected visitor this late, excluding the times where her colleagues pull a Halloween prank on her, that is. 

 

She headed towards the sound of ruckus and found herself face to face with a masked person. To her surprise, the stature of that person is rather small. She took a second guess and shouted immediately, in hopes of scaring the person away. 

 

“Kiddo, please take your leave now or I’m calling the police.” Her fingers swiftly dialed the 3-numbered code on her cellphone, but it was somehow sensed by the other party. In the blink of an eye, her right arm that was hidden behind her back was quickly held down by the assassin. 

 

“I’ve got you now. You can’t hide from me anymore.” A deep voice blurted out from beneath the cloth covering the woman’s mouth. 

 

“...” The doctor kept quiet, wanting to hear more to hopefully avert the situation at hand in a smart way. 

 

“I’m here to kill you. Don’t worry, I’ll make it quick.” She smiled slyly under the dim light of the nearby power source. 

 

“And who is supposed to be killed tonight?” The doctor made her move this time. 

 

“Ha Soo-young shi” The woman answered before plunging her knife into the doctor’s chest. 

 

“I’m sorry, but you got the wrong person.”

 

“???” The knife was now literally millimeters away from the white dressing. 

 

“I’m not gonna repeat myself. Do you hear me? One wrong move and you’re gonna be a murderer.” The doctor calmly conveyed her thoughts to the now flustered assassin. 

 

“How is that possible? I came to the right place.. Perhaps it’s just my luck I came in at the wrong time.” The woman backed away quickly, whilst putting the knife back into its rightful place. She then scratched her head as she walked towards the exit. 

 

“Oh.. not so fast. M’am.” The doctor used her bigger body to block the woman’s path. 

 

“What do you want? I’m done here.” The woman scowled. 

 

“Surely, there must be a reason for you to come here in the first place.” This time, it was the doctor smiling eerily at the masked person. 

 

“What do you mean?” The woman was clearly terrified of the doctor as her eyes trembled in the darkness to avoid the intense gaze of the taller body. 

 

“You don’t check the location before doing your job? What kind of assassin are you? An amateur perhaps?” The doctor smirked throughout her sentence as she got closer to the woman. 

 

“Of course I do! It’s just a clinic here, duhh. And I’m here to kill a doctor who-” The assassin stopped before she leaked any confidential information to the other party. 

 

“You’re not wrong, dear. But this is not just any clinic, this is a place where dead bodies are kept. A mortuary, if I have to be specific.” The doctor then slid her fingers down the chin of the masked assassin slowly, as if luring her into a dangerous place of her own. 

 

The masked lady couldn’t help but swallow her saliva as the static friction between the two skins petrified her to such a large extent that her limbs weren’t able to listen to her commands for once. 

 

“Can I go now? It’s getting late and I’m sure you don’t want to go home late.” The masked lady mumbled through the piece of cloth. She was grateful that the lights weren’t on, which would be critical since the blush under the cloth is so seemingly obvious.

 

The doctor caressed the chin softly once again before letting the woman free from her grasp, panting. 

 

“Just don’t come and bother me again. Got it?” 

 

A whisk of darkness then appeared in the eyes of the doctor as she witnessed the assassin blended into the dark.