The Encounter

Luck of the Draw

Dahyun’s P.O.V.

            As I watched myself growing, I noticed that I barely have my eyes for men. It’s quite awkward when you dealt with it for a young age. A queer feeling of reversal for society’s norms.

“Chaeng, look at her. She is so pretty.”

“Whipped.”

“Indeed.”

“Dubs, you are lying if you told me you aren’t gay.”

“What do you mean?”

“Think it yourself. Repeat the things you have said to me just a while ago.”

            Aside from being a best friend, most of the times Chaeyoung acted like my long lost brother who will scold me to reflect on the things that I am confused with. She is also the one that made me realize that I am into girls.

            I got a big fat crush on a girl when we were in high school. I don’t know her name perhaps but her luscious stares and her blonde locks made me fall in love with her instantly. By the way, wherever she is right now I wanted to express my admiration by this story.

Fast forward …

            I just recently stopped college for a semester. My best friend is quite sad about it but it is the only thing that I could do to go on with life and to save up more for my bills, school needs, etc.

            Right now, as in at the moment I am currently standing to one of the most prestigious companies in Seoul. Call me a delusional or something in similar but I like to be in this part of Seoul where I can call myself as a high-order member of the society.  Since I am taught in my three-month English seminar for speaking the foreign language here I am at the recruitment hub accompanied by my never-ending confidence, of this outsourcing company that deals with catering customers from across the globe.

            Nerve-wrecking name it. All of the superlative adjectives that has been there and existed.

            Soon, I was inside a modern architecture room designed with glasses from top to bottom it really looks elegant and fancy. I declined the offer of my brain to touch any of the furniture inside since it approximately cost more than my life.

            Lub-dub.

            Lub-dub.

            My heart is calling my name. What a pabo heart. Calling my name for Pete’s sake.

            Lub-dubu.

            Enough with the kidding but my heart jumped out of my chest when I heard someone saying ..

            “Kim Dahyun for interview. Please.”

            Moving forward, I passed the interview. I also passed the assessments not one but two assessments for me to be qualified for the position I desired.

            Thank the heavens for a very good day!

 

--

            It was one week ago when the interview happened. Now, I am again here at this prestigious company trying to make fortune for my studies.

            It was my first day at work.

            There are no familiar faces in the bunch of people in the pantry. My job offer kit said that I belong to Wave 95.4. Luckily, there is an indication telling that the new hires should stay at the recruitment hub for quite some time for some announcements regarding the training rooms that we are going to use.

            It was told that my wave will be using the Gaddang room for the Week 1 training.

            A cute little voice from behind reached my attention, she was poking her finger at my back.

“Dahyun!” she said.

            I turned my back to see who the owner of the voice is and when I do,

“Oh, hi there Gahyeon! Why are you here?”

“Basically, I applied at the same company as yours.”

“Well then I knew that but what I mean is why you aren’t at the university to continue your studies?”

            Don’t get confused, Gahyeon is a good classmate from our batch. We graduated at the same school during high school. I am also attending the same university as hers, and we are getting the same course. Don’t think of it as if I am following her, it is just that she is the one doing that. Well, that’s my perception only.

“My father died three months ago, the money that should be spent for my school fees was used. I needed to have a job for a semester so I can enroll next sem.”

“Perhaps, I have the same situation as yours except to my father is still alive.”

            I chuckled to make the heavy atmosphere at ease.

“I’m sorry for your lost Gahyeon but can I ask what wave do you belong with?”

“95.4. How about you? And hey no need to say sorry I have accepted it.”

“Cool. We belong to the same wave as yours. See you there!”

            I managed to leave Gahyeon to be at the recruitment hub on time.

           

            The talk in the recruitment hub took forever. It is the orientation for the new hire. Before the end of the talk, the recruitment manager introduced the different supervisors and team leads that will handle us after a 23-day knowledge-based training.

 

“Wait. What? How is she even here? It can’t be.”

 

            My heart and mind are battling with inner thoughts and scary illusions. That girl. She can’t be here.

           

            The rest of the day became a history.

I slumbered and have an episodic state of consciousness of the world where my brain is suspended and barred.