Nor have we ever been

We’re (not) friends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy shouldn’t complain. She was in a good school. She was roommates with her best friend. She was a member of the school’s choir. She was nailing her classes. She really shouldn’t complain.

 

But, of course, said best friend had to get a girlfriend.

 

Now, Wendy is not homophobic. She was overjoyed when Seulgi started dating a tall, beautiful sophomore named Joy. She had nothing against them, really. Except they were making out all the damn time. The three of them could be playing a boardgame and they’d start kissing.

 

Wendy gets it, she really does get it. They’re both hot blooded, attractive young queers but did they really have to do this in front of her all the time?

 

God.

 

“You know what you need, Wendy unnie?” Joy asks suddenly, derailing Wendy’s train of thought. They were currently situated at a booth, about to eat dinner at a small, homey restaurant near their university.

 

Wendy rolls her eyes. “And what is it that I need, wise one?”

 

“You need to get laid,” the younger girl said, trademark devilish smirk painted on her lips. “You know, . The thing adults do. Like we do.”

 

Wendy simply sighs, already used to the younger girl’s humor.

 

“Yah!” Seulgi exclaims, face reddening. “Stop tormenting Wendy!”

 

“She’ll live.” It was Joy’s turn to roll her eyes. “Honestly, with the amount of time I spend with you two, I’m starting to get confused if I’m dating just Seulgi or the both of you.”

 

Wendy makes a disgusted face. “Okay, first of all, gross. Second, please make out somewhere else then. I’m tired of walking in on you two.”

 

Seulgi’s face was just about as red as a tomato. “Sorry, Wen.”

 

“Fine,” Joy relents. “We should stay at my apartment next time, babe.”

 

“Thank god.”

 

“I have my own room-”

 

“Ugh.”

 

“Just because you don’t have the courage to bang it out with-”

 

“What are we walking about?” a voice asks.

 

They all turn to see Yeri and her cousin, Irene. Joy had grown up in the same neighborhood as the two cousins, becoming best friends with the two and eventually sharing an apartment with them.

 

“Nothing!” Wendy answers hurriedly.

 

“Hi guys,” Irene greets them, eyes lingering on Wendy as she sits next to her. “Did you order yet?”

 

“Not yet, unnie,” Wendy answers brightly as the other three exchanged glances. “We were waiting for you.”

 

“Gay,” Joy whispers under her breath.

 

Yeri snickers beside Joy and Wendy just narrows her eyes at them.

 

“Let’s just order,” Seulgi interrupts before they could bicker. “I’m so hungry.”

 

---

 

She doesn’t complain, not really. Seulgi dating Joy led to finding her own little family.

 

(Wendy really hoped mind reading wasn’t a thing because this cheesy thoughts are gonna get her a few smacks on the shoulder by Irene.)

 

---

 

Wendy was just about to scroll through Netflix when her phone rings. She cradles the phone between her cheek and shoulder. “Hello?”

 

“Wendy unnie!”

 

“Hey, Yeri, what’s up?”

 

“I really hate to ask for a favor but-”

 

Wendy hums noncommittally. “You sure about that?”

 

“Oh my god, unnie,” she could almost envision the younger rolling her eyes. “I wasn’t done talking!”

 

Wendy chuckles. “Fine, go ahead.”

 

“Thanks,” the younger mutters sarcastically. “Irene unnie is sick and-”

 

“What?” Wendy asks, sitting up worriedly in bed. “Why? Where is she now?”

 

“She’s fine, she’s here at the apartment-”

 

“Okay, I’m coming over,” she says, already rummaging through her closet for a jacket.

 

“Technically, you volunteered so I don’t owe you,” Yeri snickers from the other line. “Please bring food and cold medicine, I really have to go. Joy and I have a thing at school.”

 

“Yeah, yeah, sure.”

 

---

 

Irene can vaguely hear soft humming followed by a hand rubbing her back. She cracks an eye open to see Wendy, seemingly lulling her back to sleep with a song.

 

“Go back to sleep, unnie,” the girl says, “I’ll be here when you wake up.”

 

---

 

The next time Irene opens her eyes, it’s in the afternoon and Wendy’s sleeping face greets her. She tried to move but the girl’s surprisingly strong arm is wrapped around her waist. Wendy grumbles a little before her eyes open and her arms tightened on the older woman’s waist.

 

“Stay,” she mumbled on Joohyun’s shoulder.

 

Irene, despite feeling like she’s about to throw up, can’t help but smile at the adorable sight. “I would but you might get sick, too.”

 

“Oh, right,” the younger said before blinking away the sleep on her eyes and jumping off the bed. “How are you feeling, unnie? I got you medicine and drinks to rehydrate you. I can also reheat the food I cooked earlier when you were asleep--”

 

Irene just smiles and lets the girl ramble in front of her.

 

“I’m talking too much again, aren’t I?” the girl asks nervously, playing with the hem of her shirt.

 

“It’s fine, Wan-ah,” Irene assures, still smiling. “Well, to answer all of your questions, I still feel like . I could also eat but only if you’re joining me.”

 

Wendy beams. “Okay, I’ll just go and reheat the food. Be back in a jiffy.”

 

“No one says jiffy anymore, dork,” the older woman mutters just before the bedroom door closes.

 

---

 

“Are you sure you don’t want me to stay?”

 

Irene laughs at the puppy dog eyes being pulled at her. “Yes, Wan-ah. My fever has gone down and I can stand up now on my own. Thanks to you, to be honest.”

 

The younger blushes at that. “It’s nothing, unnie.”

 

“I can already picture you as a doctor, Wan-ah!” The older smiles, already snuggling back in bed. “You’ve nursed me back to health. You’re a great friend.”

 

Wendy lets out a strained smile and clears before gathering her things. “Okay, I’m gonna go. See you later, unnie.”

 

Odd, Irene thought. She didn’t even get a goodbye hug.

 

---

 

An incessant ringing woke Irene and she let a hand look for the noisy device under the blankets. After a few seconds, she was mumbling a very sleepy ‘hello?’ onto the mouthpiece.

 

“Oh thank god,” Wendy says from the other line. “I thought I lost my phone-”

 

Irene yawns, unable to help herself. She finds that it wasn’t her own as stared at the phone in her hand.

 

“Did I wake you, unnie? I’m really sorry, I just can’t afford to lose my phone right now and I panicked-”

 

“It’s fine, Seungwan-ah,” Irene assures. “Really, it’s fine,” she adds, knowing that the younger girl would feel anxious knowing she might have inconvenienced Irene. “Don’t worry about it, okay?”

 

“Okay,” she replies in a small voice.

 

“You can come by and get it when you’re free.”

 

“I’ll come by tomorrow! By the way, how are you feeling?” There’s a yelp on the other line. “Ow! What the , Seulgi? Why did you throw your slipper at me?”

 

“Talk to your girlfriend some other time!” Irene could hear Seulgi’s voice say. “You’re using up all my minutes!”

 

“Shut up, Irene unnie is not my girlfriend!” Wendy says, voice muffled as though the mouthpiece had been covered.

 

“Yeah, yeah, I totally believe you,” Seulgi replies sarcastically. “Tell your girlfriend I said hi.”

 

“ off,” Wendy mutters softly. “Sorry, unnie, that was Seulgi being a little .”

 

“I figured,” Irene says, smiling. “Tell her I said hi back.”

 

“Oh, you heard.”

 

Irene hums an affirmative. “Anyway, I am feeling much better thanks to the TLC from my best friend.”

 

Wendy chuckles at that. “She sounds like a catch.”

 

“Oh, she is,” Irene says sincerely and she laughs as she hears a faint ‘oh my god right in front of my salad’ from Seulgi.

 

“Fine, fine, I’m getting off your stupid phone,” Wendy says, exasparated. “I have to go, unnie. Seulgi is being a . See you!”

 

“Bye, Seungwan. Thanks again for taking care of me!”

 

“Always.”

 

---

 

“Do you think Seungwan’s dating someone?”

 

Yerim scoffs and doesn’t even look up from her phone. “I highly doubt that.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Wendy unnie is always studying in their dorm. She doesn’t even go out and when she does,” Yeri pauses, already knowing Irene would try to interrupt her. “It’s with us.”

 

“You don’t think Seungwan would hide it from us?”

 

“No, unnie. To be honest, I think you’d be the first to know,” Yerim says, snickering as though she was privy to an inside joke and Irene was not. It makes the older girl narrow her eyes. “Anyway, what brought this on?”

 

“It’s just,” Irene starts. “She left her phone here the other day and-”

 

“Where is it?” Yerim asks, finally looking at Irene with a glint in her eyes.

 

“Aish, stop scheming, she already has it,” the older girl replies, ruffling the younger’s hair. “Anyway, she called her phone using Seulgi’s and I answered. The next morning, I thought it was my phone and I unlocked it,” Irene pauses, unsure whether to tell Yerim that Seungwan’s password was Joohyun’s birthday.

 

“And?” Yerim prods impatiently.

 

“When her phone unlocked, it was on her music app and I saw a playlist titled JH with a heart at the end.”

 

“JH?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“JH with a heart?”

 

“Yes, Yerim, with a heart.”

 

The girl hums and goes back to her. “Maybe it’s that unnie from choir. Seo Juhyun, I think her name was. I know Wendy unnie looks up to her. Or maybe Park Jihyo. They’re friends.”

 

Irene nods as the younger lists the names of people with the same initials from their school.

 

“Did we forget anyone else?” Yerim asks.

 

“Not that I know of,” Irene says thoughtfully.

 

“You sure?” the younger girl repeats, incredulously.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Did you forget yourself, Bae Joohyun?”

 

“Don’t be ridiculous, Yerim-ah,” Irene chides. “Seungwan doesn’t like me like that.”

 

“Uh huh,” the younger girl agrees absently. "Whatever helps you sleep at night.”

 

---

 

“Wendy unnie spends a lot of time with the choir these days,” Sooyoung points out.

 

“So?” Irene replies, picking at her food. Wendy was currently sitting with her choir members on the other side of the cafeteria. “She’s allowed to have friends that are not us.”

 

“I know that. Do you?”

 

“Of course. I said it, didn’t I?”

 

“Unnie, you’ve been stabbing your food while staring at them.”

 

Irene visibly stills. “Shut up, I’m not.”

 

Sooyoung hums noncommittally. “She’s basically Juhyun unnie’s tail,” she pauses and smirks. “Oh, not you. I meant Seo Juhyun unnie.”

 

Irene narrows her eyes at the tall girl. “I have no idea what you’re trying to do but I already hate it.”

 

She chuckles, full of mischief and goes back to her food but not before mumbling under breath, ‘people who are secretly in love with Wendy unnie say what.’

 

“What?” Irene asks to which Sooyoung only cackles some more. The older girl just about to tighten her hands around the younger’s neck when Seungwan appears.

 

“Hi, unnie,” she says nonchalantly, as though the sight of Irene strangling Joy was normal. To be fair, it really was.

 

“Seungwan-ah,” Irene brightens, hands still around Sooyoung’s neck. “What’s up?”

 

“Nothing much. Can I walk you to class?”

 

Sooyoung gags. “Ugh, you two can barely last two minutes without being so gay.”

 

Seungwan, upon seeing Irene’s glare, decides to save Sooyoung to live for another day. “Come on, unnie, let’s get some ice cream.”

 

“Hey!” the tall girl protests. “I was the one dying but she gets the ice cream?”

 

Irene sticks her tongue out and makes a face. “Serves you right.”

 

Wendy laughs at the sight. “I’ll treat you some other time, okay?”

 

“Fine,” the tall girl relents. “But I better get this girlfriend experience you always do with Irene unnie!”

 

“Shut up, Sooyoung! You’re literally dating Seulgi!”

 

“You know Joy riles you up exactly you because you react that way, right?” Wendy asks as they walk away.

 

Irene sighs. “I’m aware. Can’t help it, she just gets to me sometimes.”

 

“What was she teasing you about that you had to strangle her, anyway?”

 

“Nothing,” the older girl says hurriedly. “It was something stupid. Now, come on. You said we’ll get ice cream.”

 

---

 

“Unnie, what are you doing?” Yerim asks, seeing her cousin hunched over her desk while writing furiously.

 

“Nothing,” the older girl answers quickly. Too quickly.

 

Irene shuffling to hide the paper she was scribbling on and trying to sit up straight was definitely a suspicious sight. “Whatcha got there, unnie?”

 

“It’s nothing, just homework.”

 

“But you prefer to do homework at the library because you said Joy and I are like, and I quote, ‘a bunch of claustrophobic monkeys stuck in an elevator.’”

 

“I did say that,” Irene nods. “But I meant it as a joke.”

 

Yeri narrows her eyes as her cousin stares at her, clearly willing herself to look innocent.

 

The high pitched noise Irene lets out as the younger tackles her into the bed rouses Sooyoung from her own room. The tall girl rushing to get up and see the commotion.

“Oh cool, are we wrestling?” Sooyoung asks as she watches the two struggling in Irene’s bed, Yeri tackling Irene’s side while her other hand reaches for the paper on the older girl’s outstretched hand.

 

“Joy!” the youngest exclaims. “Get the paper!”

 

“Sooyoung, no!” Irene shrieks.

 

“Sooyoung, yes!” Sooyoung yells as she grabs the wrinkled paper from Irene’s grasp. Yeri jumps away from Irene as the older girl mumbles a very menacing ‘I will murder you both.’

 

“What the , unnie?” the youngest says incredulously. “Is this a hit list?”

 

“What, no, no,” Irene insists adamantly. “I was trying to figure out who JH was so I listed people I know with that initials.”

 

“There are people here not initialed JH. Chanyeol, Sakura, Eric, Taeyeon, Tiffany, Amber,” Sooyoung lists gleefully. “Just to name a few. Why are there even men here? Didn’t Wendy unnie tell us she likes girls?”

 

“Yes, yes,” the older girl grabs the paper from the tall girl’s clutches. “I just saw those people talk to her on campus. And I need to be prepared, in case she asks for advice.”

 

“So it is a hitlist,” the youngest whispers to Sooyoung. “And why would she come to you?”

 

“Because I’m the oldest?”

 

“Unnie,” Sooyoung starts. “You have dated approximately 0.5 people. And that 0.5 person I’m referring to is Wendy unnie because I still think y’all are dating in secret.”

 

“Whatever,” Irene huffs and fixes the two with a menacing glare that makes them gulp as their names were added to her hitlist. “You two better watch your backs.”

 

---

 

“Hey, unnie!”

 

“Hi, Seulgi,” Irene greets as soon as Seulgi opens the door of her shared dorm room with Seungwan. She had always liked Seulgi’s calming presence. “Do you mind if I stay here for a bit?”

 

“My girlfriend and your cousin being evil again, huh?” she asks, making Irene chuckle.

 

“I never should’ve let them live with me, to be honest.”

 

Seulgi laughs. “Anyway, I was gonna study but knock yourself out if you don’t mind me being bad company since Seungwan isn’t here. She’s out with Juhyun unnie, I think.” Irene’s left eye twitches at the mention of the name and Seulgi, bless her heart, tries to backtrack. “Probably just talking about singing since they’re both in choir. Their voices blend really well, now that I think about it. Maybe they’re gonna do a duet this upcoming showcase.”

 

The older stares at Seulgi and she feels ice running through her veins.

 

“You know what, never mind all that. I just remembered she told me she’s going to the gym.”

 

Irene finally smiles and Seulgi feels like she can breathe again. “That Seungwan-ah always working out.”

 

“Well, you don’t get those arms from nothing,” Seulgi says and turns back to her books, missing the blush that spreads on the older’s neck.

 

---

 

Wendy, walking to her dorm room at 10pm with her guitar bag strapped to her back, squints at the text she received earlier.

 

From Sluggie: wannie, if anyone asks where you’ve been, please say you were at the gym

 

To Sluggie: what why

To Sluggie: I told you I was with the choir unnies

To Sluggie: seulgi????

To Sluggie: istg if you did something stupid

 

The door swings open and her best friend is on the floor, typing away on her laptop. She looks up and smiles at Seungwan. “Got my text?”

 

“Of course, dumb bear. What was that about?”

 

Seulgi shushes her. “Shut up, you’ll wake her,” she murmurs, pointing to Seungwan’s bed.

 

Irene, face half buried on Seungwan’s pillow as she lies on her side. She sighs contentedly as she hugs the pillow closer. Wendy wants to tattoo the sight in her mind. So she fishes phone out of her pocket and takes a photo. “Is there something Joy should be worried about?”

 

“You’re an idiot,” Seulgi rolls her eyes. “She was waiting for you, Wannie.”

 

Wendy simply takes her jacket off and changes into a sleep shirt and shorts before taking Irene’s shoes off.

 

“She seemed mad when I mentioned Juhyun unnie,” Seulgi adds confusedly.

 

“What? Why?”

 

“I have no idea,” the other girl answers. “Maybe Joy and Yeri knows. You’ll have to ask the devil twins.”

 

Irene grumbles sleepily, brows knitting.

 

Seulgi chuckles. “I think she’s telling me to go away.”

 

Wendy’s ears warm at that. “You’re an idiot.”

 

“Just tell unnie I’m going to her apartment,” the other girl says, gathering her things. “Bye, Wannie. Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do and definitely don’t do anything on my bed!”

 

Wendy was just about the yell at her best friend when the door closes, the sound waking Irene. “Seungwan-ah?” she mumbled sleepily, eyes barely open.

 

“It’s me, unnie, go back to sleep.”

 

“I’m cold,” she rambled grumpily.

 

“Here,” Wendy hands her the blankets that has pooled at her waist.

 

“No, come here,” Irene murmured, fumbling for the younger’s hands.

 

“Unnie,” Wendy begins, trying really hard not to blush. “The bed’s too small-”

 

“Sshh,” the older girl puts a finger to her lips. “No more talking. Sleep.”

 

She settles back into bed, tugging Wendy’s arm around her waist and burying her nose in Wendy’s neck, inhaling her scent before closing her eyes again.

 

Wendy sighs and holds the girl tighter before placing a kiss on her forehead. “Goodnight, Hyun.” She could feel Irene’s smile on her neck.

 

---

 

“Unnie,” Wendy starts. “Is everything alright?”

 

“Of course,” Irene answers. “Why wouldn’t it be?” she asks, continuing to survey the cafeteria like an assassin waiting for its target. She even goes as far as standing on her tiptoes.

 

“Irene unnie,” Joy calls from the other side of the table. “Do you wanna stand on my shoulders so you can see better?”

 

Irene stares at the girl for a second as though seriously contemplating the offer before she shakes her head. Yeri and Joy just exchange looks as Seulgi munches on her lunch quietly.

After eating breakfast with Seungwan the morning following their impromptu sleepover, they head over to their classes. The older girl starting to notice that Seungwan was indeed very popular with the girls at their school. Some even going as far as to ignore Irene, their sunbae, to flirt with the musician. Since then Irene had made a point to protect Seungwan from these girls who are clearly just after Seungwan for some fun.

 

(“And what’s wrong with having fun, unnie?” Yerim had asked when she told the younger girl of her findings.

 

“Seungwan deserves more than meaningless !” Irene answers indignantly. “She deserves romance and love and all that.”

 

“What if that’s what Wendy unnie wants?”)

 

The question had haunted Irene. What if that’s what Seungwan wants? Maybe that’s why she had yet to introduce this JH person to Irene and their friends since they were nothing more than just friends who have fun. Oh god. Maybe Wendy got sick of hanging with a grandma like Irene and terrible, evil kids like Sooyoung and Yerim.

 

“Unnie,” Wendy calls again, she reaches out and touches Irene’s hand. “Hey, are you okay?”

 

Irene turns and stares at her as though seeing her for the first time that day. “Seungwan-ah, are you having with someone?”

 

Now, let it be said that Irene usually has more tact in her small body but there are rare times when she loses control of . Like this.

 

“What?!” Wendy screeches as Seulgi chokes on her rice and water flies out of Yerim’s nose. Sooyoung, it seems, has lost her balance and fell to the floor.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter