Chapter III: Speaker

Beyond
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Let me undress you, your majesty.” Chaeyeon reached out to grab Sakura’s nightgown.

 

Sakura moved out of the elf’s reach. “No. I can do that myself.” Looking away, she tried to hide her blushing cheeks.

 

Chaeyeon sighed and rolled her eyes. “Don’t misunderstand, your majesty. I’m not doing this because I find pleasure in it nor because I like you. To make it clear, I don’t like you. You’d be already dead if only I had the power to do so.”

 

Stunned by her companion’s bluntness, Sakura watched her with curious eyes. “I don’t know whether to admire your honesty or be daunted by it.”

 

“Do both or neither. I don’t care what you think of me.”

 

Chaeyeon once again reached to undress Sakura but the girl was able to evade her hands and slipped behind the elf. Trying to conceal her annoyance Chaeyeon clenched her fist and pursed her lips. She made sure to compose herself before turning around to face her ward or otherwise she might do something she’d regret.

 

“Your majesty,” the elf’s words were measured. “You must let me bathe you. The Council Elders will be gathering here today to pledge their fealty to you-“

 

Sakura didn’t wait for the elf to finish her speech about councils, destinies, kingdoms, and other whatnots. She took her chance to get away while the elf had her back on her. Thank goodness she was barefooted. It helped her to move stealthily to the door.

 

When Chaeyeon turned around the otherworlder was already gone. Underestimating her ward she had forgotten to lock the door. She reprimanded herself for being complacent around the seemingly frail woman. If any of the Elders discover that the King has escaped from her watch or that she had tried to assassinate her she would be terribly punished. The elf ran as fast as she possibly could to catch the escapee.

 

Stairs spiraled down the tower. Sakura’s footsteps were inaudible. The concrete stair was hard and cold under her feet but she barely noticed. Getting away was her only thought.

 

Too soon, she heard the elf calling close behind her. She panicked and lost her footing. Sakura grabbed the nearest object to save herself from the fall. The arm of the woman statue that Sakura grabbed twisted and a small rectangular door appeared on the wall next to it.

 

“With all due respect your majesty, I swear I will strangle you when I catch you!” said Sakura’s pursuer who sounded to be not far behind.

 

Desperate not to get caught —especially after the threat she heard— Sakura kneeled down and crawled into the small door and immediately closed it. She put her right ear against the wall, listening for any signs of the elf. Shortly after, footsteps came closer but the elf must have been running since the noise straightaway faded. Sakura breathed a sigh of relief.

 

Leaning her back on the wall, Sakura tried to make sense of what has been happening to her. She’s been locked up at that room ever since she woke up yesterday. That’s the thing, she woke up. Sakura still couldn’t begin to fathom that she’s alive. And now she’s in a place where a lunatic lady who claims to be an elf was chasing her. . Can you believe that? An elf? Sakura scoffed. Those pointed ears were probably just some kind of realistically impressive prosthetics. Elves aren’t real, right?

 

The “elf” called herself Chaeyeon and she has been the only person Sakura had seen so far. Of course, Sakura asked her countless questions but the elf ignored them. She’s the complete opposite of the vulnerable woman Sakura first laid her eyes on.

 

Anyway, Sakura knew she must keep moving so she crawled in the dark to find her way out but the next thing she knew she was sliding down, fast, and head first. Her own horrified scream hurt her ears as she slid down in a narrow tube-like tunnel. At the end of it, she got shot out to a large room and landed on a dusty cushion.

 

Sakura’s back hurt from the fall so she didn’t immediately stand up. Coughing, she waved her arms in front of her to clear the air of dust. When the dust let up she saw an old woman staring down at her.

 

“Are you lost, child?” the old woman asked. Sakura rolled sideways and lied on her stomach. The woman in front of her was wearing a dark blue robe embroidered with golden vines. She was only half the height of Sakura but she stood straight and emanate an imposing aura. Added to her arresting presence were her dark knowing eyes. In her wrinkled left hands, she held a wooden staff that was twice taller than her.

 

Couldn’t find an excuse to say, Sakura answered honestly. “Uhmm, yes. Actually, I am.” Sakura pushed herself upright and stood, towering over the woman. “Can you point me where the exit is? Please?”

 

“And when you find it, where do you plan to go?”

 

“Home.” was Sakura’s simple answer.

 

The old woman had an expression that was hard to discern. “Don’t you think you already are?” she asked.

 

Sakura grasped what her companion was implying but she doesn’t know wha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter