Introductions

The Universe is Mysterious

1. Introductions

Tiffany sighed as she looked out of the window in her room, looking out to the vast sea in front of her. ‘Being secluded on a giant plane of ice and snow blows’ she thought to herself. Lately she had been feeling quite lonely, her best friend, Sunny, also known as, get this… The Avatar, had left to find some bending teachers leaving Tiffany to fend for herself in the cold North. She missed the days where her and Sunny would have waterbending battles in the courtyard, or the times where they would watch the sunset on the giant wall that blocked any outsiders from getting into the Northern Water Tribe. She missed her best friend. Tiffany was about to sigh again when someone knocked on her door. “Come in'' she said, turning away from the window and towards the intruder. It was one of her father’s guards. “Your father has something important to tell you, Princess” he said. She pondered for a moment, then replied “Alright, please tell him that I’ll be there shortly”. The guard nodded and went on his way. ‘I wonder what he wants to tell me now’, she thought. ‘I swear to the spirits if he tells me that he’s arranged a marriage for me I am going to lose my mind’. She rubbed her temples in frustration then walked out of the room, making her way to the throne room, where the chieftain would be waiting. 

 

 

Unknown to Tiffany, on the other side of the world, in the Southern Air Temple, sat two meditating girls bored out of their minds. Well, one girl bored out of her mind. ‘Seohyun, if I’m forced to meditate for another hour I’m gonna throw myself off the cliffs’. The girl named Seohyun opened one of her eyes, sighed and replied: 

“Yuri, you’re an airbender…. You’ll just end up floating to the ground”

“You have a point, but I’m serious, we’ve been trapped in this room trying to connect with the spirits for over 3 hours now…. and we got absolutely nothing!” Yuri said, getting up from her meditating position and using puffs of air to keep her bouncing around the room.

“That’s the point of practice, Yul, it takes time.” Yuri sighed, frustrated. “Seo you’re so boring, don’t you wanna live a little”. Seohyun, who'd had enough of her best friend, gave up on her meditation and turned to face Yuri, who was still flying around, light as a feather. “Of course I do! But just after we’ve gotten our airbending master tattoos!” 

“What’s the big whoop about air bending tattoos anyways… it’s not like we’re the Avatar, they won’t do anything cool and glow or whatever” Yuri retorted.

“Yul, we’ve been over this, not only are they a sign of our dedication to our bending form, but also a show of respect to the Air Bisons." Seohyun answered thoughtfully. She loved her bending but she loved her big baby Bison ChuChu (or as she liked to call him Ppo Ppo) just as much. Yuri was also caught thinking about her own Air Bison, Hani, the light of her life. Both Seohyun and Yuri had met their air bisons at the same time, and, coincidentally Ppo Ppo and Hani were best friends as well, guess they could say that their friendship was meant to be. Yuri shook her head and snapped out of it, she then said “Right, but Seo, I’ve been thinking abut this plan to get us out of this place and into the world!” 

“Tell me, oh great one...” Seohyun said sarcastically. Rolling her eyes, Yuri continued “Ok so what if we asked Monk Lee if we could do our ‘meditating’ at the Western Air Temple for ‘new spiritual experiences’ but on our way there stop in the Fire Nation, just to see what it’s like…” Seohyun pondered for a moment, then her eyes went wide with shock as she said “Oh my Lion Turtles, Yuri I think you just came up with a good plan!” Yuri smiled stupidly and replied “You see...I’m not just an air head”. The best friends looked at each other for a moment then burst out laughing, “Yul that was a terrible joke.” Seohyun said while still slightly giggling. As the girls came up with a plan to convince Monk Lee to allow them on their trip (mostly consisting of pouting and saying please which they knew always worked), a trio of girls in the capital city of the Earth Kingdom were having a very important conversation. 

 

 

“You’re such a loser Tae!” 

“Honestly, you’re such a , aren't you supposed to be the Earth Princess!”

Taeyeon was feeling very attacked. These wonderful words of encouragement came from none other than her two best friends, Sooyoung and Hyoyeon, the royal earthbending instructors, or as she liked to call them, idiots. “Will you guys shut up, I’m still grieving over my attempt at getting a girlfriend.” Taeyeon said. Earlier that day, the trio had decided to go into the Lower Ring (in disguise obviously) to get some street food, unfortunately for Taeyeon, the vendor was pretty.

Taeyeon has a problem with pretty girls, whenever she saw them, she would start to stutter and stumble over her words and of course, her so called friends didn’t help her one bit. Snapping out of that horrible memory she heard her friend talking. “Brighten up Tae, one day your very own Blue Spirit will come and steal y-your h-h-heart!” Sooyoung mocked. Hyoyeon laughing along added “Yeah don’t worry T-Tae”. Taeyeon, having enough of the two, flicked her wrist and the earth beneath the two fools lifted and flung them into the air. Not like it did any damage, seeing as the laughing pair were the top 2 earthbenders in the entire Earth Kingdom. As they came tunneling towards the ground, the earth lifted again but this time in the shape of a netcatching the benders, still laughing their asses off. She sighed staring out onto Ba Sing Sei. ‘One day, Taeyeon, one day she’ll come and sweep you off your feet’ she thought longingly. 

 

 

Flames burnt off a strand of her hair as she dodged an oncoming attack from her opponent. ‘Whew that was a close one’ thought Yoona. “Are you TRYING to give me a scar, Jess?! You know, if anything happens to this face it’s over for you.” Yoona yelled. Jessica laughed and said “Oh yes, future Fire Lady, please can you show mercy to your most loyal subject.” Jessica replied sarcastically, bowing to her friend. Yoona rolled her eyes and with one punch sent a roaring blue flame towards the other girl. Jessica’s eyes widened as she barely ducked under the stream of fire. “Hey Princess! This face is pretty priceless too! Who do you think you are!” Jessica said as she retaliated with her own attack.

It was early morning in the Fire Nation and the Fire Princess and her best friend had made it a tradition to start their day with a friendly duel. This could’ve went on for another couple hours when the best friends were interrupted by Jessica’s little sister Krystal walking into the royal arena.

“Hey sis! Dad says breakfast is ready and to come fast before it’s all gone!”. Krystal said, then walked right back out. Jessica shrugged and stopped her attacks, facing Yoona she said “Sorry Yoon, gotta go eat…”.

 “Yeah it’s fine, I should probably go and eat too”. As Jessica walked out of the arena doors, waving goodbye, Yoona went to go sit on the benches on the sidelines, taking a drink of water. She might be the best firebender in the nation but Jess really did give her a run for her money. Yoona finished drinking and thought about what she should do for the rest of the day. ‘I should get out of the palace, maybe go to Ember Island and relax a little’ she thought. Yoona had recently been taking many lessons on the politics and history of the Fire Lord and Fire Nation, basically being up to her knees in work. 'The price of being the next Fire Lady, I guess' she thought.  Yoona just needed to get out of the palace for a while. ‘Yeah, that sounds like a good idea’ she thought to herself again, obviously she would be taking Jess with her, maybe even Krystal if she wanted to come. As Yoona was getting up to leave, she couldn’t help but feel like something was missing from her life. ‘Well’ she thought, shaking her head, ‘I guess we’ll see if something happens, Ember Island IS a magical place’.

 

While all these events were taking place, the current Avatar was just about to reach the shore of the Earth Kingdom, hopefully on her way to find her new earthbending teacher.