Final

Too

Today was the day of the presentation. 6 girls were gathered at the front of the classroom, each acting as an academic subject. They stood aside while waiting for the teacher to give them the cue to start. 

 

---

 

Literature and History were up first. 

 

L: Why art thou depressed? Where forth hath you gotten such strong emotions from?

 

H: So you know about WWII and almost everyone died during that disaster...

 

L: Aye, but tis the present now. 

(A certain duck was speaking in an awkward manner while doing wild gestures with her hands.)

 

H:... 

(The other girl simply stared at her partner in a worrisome manner.)

 

L: Why art thou not speaking aye?

 

H: Uhm.. That’s it for our presentation. Thank you, everyone, for listening to us.

(The girl quickly put her hand behind the duck’s neck and forced her to bow with her before returning to their seats.)

 

---

 

Chemistry and Biology were next in line.

 

C: So apparently the SI unit for the number of particles in any substances is Mole, regardless of the state of substance.

 

B: Mole also refers to a rodent.

 

C: Yes, but I’m still talking. So besides mol, the letter ‘m’ can be used to describe different things like millimeter for measurement of liquids or like mass to calculate enthalpy heat changes or even unknown cations in questions like M^3+.

(The girl who was currently talking started scribbling on the whiteboard as she speaks, totally ignorant of her partner who’s now stoning in her spot trying to figure out what to speak for next line.)

 

C: *Continues talking about how electron density around central atom affects bond pair-bond pair repulsion*

 

C: So Yujin, anymore you would like to add?

 

B: M also stands for mitochondria. Yeah! That’s it. Are we done now?

(The girl smiled proudly at herself shamelessly while her partner next to her sighed loudly.)

 

---

 

Physics and Mathematics were the last to present. Their classmates have high hopes of seeing a more entertaining presentation from them since they were the class’ most popular couple. 

 

P: Should I start first? Or should I allow M to start before I do since mathematics is the language of physics?

(The taller girl was hesitating before the shorter girl gave a reassuring pat on her back.)

 

M: It’s fine, you go on ahead first.

(The other girl smiled softly to her partner.)

 

P: So.. uhm.. In an oscillating system, acceleration is directly proportional to the displacement of the oscillating mass but acts in the opposite direction of it. It is further proven through the drawing of graphs. May I have the M to present the graphs, please?

 

M: But you’re still proving your point right? I shouldn’t just barge in like that.

(The girl smiled sheepishly at her partner.)

 

P: But from here on, it’s just calculations involving trigonometry functions.. And trigo belongs to maths…

 

M: Alright then, tell me the steps and I’ll write it down.

 

P: Starting with x=X sin (wt), where small x refers to displacement and big X refers to maximum displacement of the oscillating mass, you use differentiation to derive formulas of both velocity and acceleration. 

(The taller girl then stood aside patiently guiding M on how to solve the equations slowly. Both girls took a while to come to the derived equations.)

 

P: That’s it for my part. Anything to add on to our presentation?

 

M: I do. Other than the use of differentiation in physics, integration is also relevant in maths as well. 

(The shorter girl then came up with different functions sporting an integral relationship between them. As she continues, people around her were amazed, including the teacher herself.) 

 

After drawing several arrows on the board, she came to a clean conclusion to prove her point. By then, all the people were clapping for her, including her partner who’s grinning widely at her. She can only blush at the sight of her smiling girlfriend.

 

P and M: And that’s it for our presentation, thanks for listening to our mini Ted-talk! 

(Both girls then bowed while holding hands before returning to their respective seats.)

 

---

 

“Yah Yena, who taught you to speak in that weird manner just now? I almost wanted to hide out of second-hand embarrassment.” Her clingy seatmate was scolding the oblivious girl who was clearly upset that her partner didn’t appreciate the hard work she put in during the lesson earlier. 

 

“Yuri-ah, I just thought I should spice things up a bit…” The girl pouted while munching on her food. 

 

Seeing how her partner got sad over her insensitive comments, the younger girl immediately felt sorry and apologized to her partner. 

 

“It’s okay, but you like how I actually put in the effort for this presentation right?” The duck grinned.

 

“Yeah.” The other girl winked back.

 

---

 

“Yujin, you actually didn’t prepare for the presentation right?” The bookworm slammed her childhood friend’s table.

 

“I did! I read Wikigedia last night and all that came out of my mind this morning is mitochondria!” The louder girl exclaimed. She was clearly offended by how accusing her friend’s tone was. 

 

“..Fine.” The other girl was clearly pissed when she didn’t get first in place for the group presentation. 

 

“Wonyoung ah, here. These are tickets to enjoy the ice-cream you’re craving for the past few weeks.” The puppy quickly put two slips of paper in her hand before walking away in another direction.

 

“What’s this?” The baby bunny opened her hand to reveal a coupon. Hastily, she ran back to the side of her group’s partner. 

 

“Where did you get this? You remembered how much I wanted to eat this ice-cream!!” The bunny was now jumping up-and-down excitedly. 

 

“It’s just me doing my usual stuff, I guess?” Yujin scratched her head while acting blur.

 

“You didn’t steal this from anyone right?”

 

“Wha- No! I’ve been busy drinking green tea and I finally had the luck to get two of these in my last trip to the supermarket. 

 

“Ohh..” A hand suddenly reached out to the puppy’s face and caressed it softly. 

 

“No wonder you look a little green…” She muttered silently under her breath.

 

“Hmm? You said something?” The puppy heard something whisked past in the air. 

 

“Let’s go eat the ice-cream now.” The baby bunny chirped happily to her partner. 

 

“I know you’ll like this.” The puppy grinned back before linking arms with her childhood friend to her beloved ice-cream store. 

 

---

 

“Thanks for putting in effort for this presentation, Hyewonnie.” The class representative thanked the classmate who’s now eating her gopchang during the class break. 

 

“It’s nothing.” The eyes of the girl were still on the screen of her phone, searching for any new outfits to try over the upcoming weekend for her family gathering. 

 

“But everyone knows you’re hardly the type of person to prepare for this kind of thing…” The class rep scooted next to the girl and sat on the now-empty seat next to hers, before putting her head on her shoulders. The taller girl didn’t budge at all.

 

“Why do you think I prepared it in the first place?” The girl turned her head towards the class rep.

 

“Hmm.. I don’t know? Perhaps you can inspire me?” 

 

“It’s because of you.” The two then shared a nose-kiss for a good while before the taller girl put her attention on her gopchang again. 

 

“I’m jealous.” The bunny pouted. 

 

“Of what?” The girl spoke with full.

 

“This.” A slender finger from the side pointed to the food that the girl was holding. She clearly wasn’t having it while sitting on the side watching her girlfriend pay attention to the object in front of her. 

 

“Pay attention to me too…” Mathematics then snuggled up close to Physics and let out a warm breathe against her neck. Sensing it’s not working still, she left the foodie dejectedly. 

 

“Did I say you can leave me? How am I going to exist without you?!” The girl suddenly yelped when she lost her balance after she stood up from the seat. Somehow she managed to pull the other girl down to the ground after falling on her as well.

 

 

Silence enveloped both girls as they stared into each other’s eyes after seconds of falling onto each other.

 

“Well.. Gravitational forces are attractive in nature, I suppose, and knowing how it is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two masses, this makes sense.” The taller girl laughed stiffly before finding herself pulled even closer to the class rep. 

 

“So does that mean you like me too?” The girl at the bottom whispered beside Physics’ ears. 

 

“.. TOO???”