Reunion

Playing with Fire II: Walking on Thin Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunji and Naeun were rolling around on their king-sized bed, a usual lazy activity of theirs on a weekend afternoon. Eunji had both her legs up, doing reverse crunches.  

"You know, we should organize a reunion dinner soon. I mean, we've said it multiple times but we haven't even got to contacting the others again," Eunji said in between her breaths.

"Yeah, we should," Naeun nodded in agreement. She lied sideways, propping her arm to support her head. She narrowed her eyes at Eunji, sensing something fishy. "Do you happen to have a hidden agenda?"

"Do you?" Eunji responded with a question, while she continued with her crunches.

"Maybe," Naeun laughed. "So, anything you could share with me? I know we agreed not to pry but I think we might be working on the same, even if the NIA doesn't report to the police force."

"We are an independent agency after all, so whatever we do, your police force won't exactly know."

"But you guys will have access to the police force database, don't you?"

"Oh yeah," Eunji laughed, "That's how I locked you in as my wife."

"That is very predatory."

"You still married me anyway." Eunji gave the trademark eye smile of hers.

"Do they know I am back?"

"Oh, actually there's been rumours that there's a corrupted high ranking officer in the police force, so all undercover agents 'identities have been hidden securely. No one can access their personal information, except the direct officer in-charge of these agents. So the NIA doesn't have access to the undercover police officers for now."

"No wonder Senior Officer Choi told me to just stay low for now."

"Yeah, that's what my superior told me too. He said just go on with my life as normal, after I got the files from him."

"Do you think Bomi might be involved?" Naeun wondered. "She's been promoted. She would have access to the database whether she's the direct officer or not. Even she doesn't, I am sure that smartass can hack into the system to retrieve all personal information."

"Has she contacted you ever since you approached Senior Officer Choi?"

"No, she hasn't."

Eunji took in a deep breath. "You know what, let's set the date now and call them up. We have a reunion dinner to attend."

 

Deep in the heart of Seoul's industrial zone, there was a narrow building squeezed between two large factories. The factories were hives of activity, with forklift trucks and trailes hauling containers cluttering one side of the street. As Chorong entered the narrow building, her eyes furiously scanned her surroundings, making sure she was not being followed.

The usually well-dressed lady had opted to wear something more casual, to attract less attention. She had donned a plain white baggy shirt and a pair of Adidas pants. She had put a surgical mask on, to protect herself from inhaling all the dirt and dust coming from the industrial area.

The bell chimed as she pushed the door. She climbed the flight of stairs and paused at the top, looking at the two doors that faced her left and right. Which door was it? she asked herself. She tried recalling what she had been told through the phone call. Finally, she reached for the door on her left and opened it, stepping into a cramped apartment. It was a one room apartment that had a Scandinavian interior design. There was a sofa bed, a small dining table with a kitchenette at the side. The 55-inch LED television was mounted on the wall. There wasn't much of a view when Chorong peered out through the window. Despite the bleak location, the apartment interior was surprisingly bright a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter