End

Eyes Only See You

Kim Jongwoon was born with terrible eyesight and he hated it. He had to wear glasses ever since he was young. You could say that glasses was like a part of himself. When he was in an elementary school, his older brother tried to make him wear contact lenses. It ended up with him crying a river of tears and his brother burnt the contact lenses in anger, hoping to completely eradicate it. After they were scolded by their mother for almost burning the entire neighborhood down, Jongwoon obediently accepted the fact that he had to live with glasses for the rest of his life. He lived his ordinary daily life with glasses as if it was his significant other. He wore it everywhere and took great care of it. He was always careful not to let anything happens with his glasses as he knew he literally couldn't live without it.

Unfortunately, faith seemed to have other plans for him and his glasses. One day, Jongwoon took his glasses off hoping to get a short nap after working on his assignment for many hours. He woke up to the sound of something breaking and saw his beloved glasses on the floor, its lenses shattering. On the table in front of him sat the culprit, Heebum, his brother's cat...

After that, his brother drove him to the nearest mall and dropped him at the optical shop after giving him money. Since Jongwoon always took great care of his glasses, he had no reason to visit the shop (except the first time he had his glasses made but that was decades ago). Naturally, he would feel a bit anxious as he stepped into the shop alone (his brother had some modeling work to do). Jongwoon filled in the necessary forms with some help from two kind heart assistants named Lee Sungmin and Zhoumi. After waiting for a short while, he was called into the room to meet the doctor and had his eyes checked up.

 

"Hi, my name is Cho Kyuhyun. Nice to meet you Mr. Kim, I'll be the one in charge of you today."

 

 

That was the first time in Jongwoon's life that he thought having terrible eyesight was actually a blessing.

 

*****************************************

 

It was love at first sight. Jongwoon had a huge and obvious crush on Cho Kyuhyun ever since the first second he saw the handsome doctor. That day after he got his new glasses, Jongwoon intentionally hung around the shop trying to get some information about his crush. He told the two staffs that he had to wait for his brother to pick him up as an excuse to hang around. Although no one questioned him about his poor excuse, he could see them not buying it as they all smiled at him knowingly. Sungmin-ssi even dragged Kyuhyun out of the check-up room to stay with them at the front counter. With help from Sungmin-ssi, Zhoumi-ssi, and another doctor Henry-ssi who joined later on, Jongwoon was able to gather some information about Kyuhyun.

He learned that Kyuhyun was four years older than him. He studied the Opthalmology and graduated with a doctor certificate. However, he chose to open this shop with his friends (the four of them were friends since they were in a middle school), although sometimes he got called to help with cases at the City Hospital. Another surprise (very much, much to Jongwoon happiness) was the fact that he was single. As soon as he realized that his crush was still single, Jongwoon couldn't stop himself from smiling brightly like a fool (which resulted in Henry-ssi and Sungmin-ssi cooing and pinching his cheeks non-stop while Zhoumi-ssi just smiling softly). However, while Jongwoon was able to chat with the three older men quite friendly, his crush Cho Kyuhyun just listened to them without saying anything, sometimes he even looked bored...

Worrying that he might annoy his crush, Jongwoon didn't dare to visit the shop again despite Sungmin-ssi said otherwise. Before long, one week had already passed. Jongwoon couldn't do anything but moped at his own cowardice. If only he had some excuse to visit that place again.. 

 

*Thud*

 

Jongwoon snapped out of his trance when he heard a sound like something hitting the floor. He looked around (his vision blurry because he didn't wear the glasses) and saw a blurry Heebum sitting in front of him. While a wave of Deja Vu hitting him, Jongwoon crawled on the floor searching for his glasses. After hitting his head on furniture, again and again, he finally found his glasses on the floor at the other side of the room, its leg bending. This time, rather than being upset or annoyed, Jongwoon jumped up and down in joy as he carried Heebum in his arms.

 

 

I have an excuse to see him now!

​​​​​​

*****************************************

 

"Hi... Eh... Nice to meet you again?"

"Wait, didn't you just come here last week?"

"Y-You remember me!? I'm so hap- I mean, yes I did come here last week. But, you see, my cat broke my glasses again so I come here to buy a new one."

 

Kyuhyun frowned as he looked at the glasses in his patient's small hand. It did look like something crushing its leg. Since his patient just came here last week, he could make new glasses using the same prescription. While he waited for the glasses to be done, he noticed that the younger man couldn't take his eyes off him. Kyuhyun wasn't naive, of course he knew that Kim Jongwoon liked him but he didn't have any feeling toward this man, at least not now. Although he did admit that Mr. Kim was very cute and totally his type, he still thought it was too early for them to start any relationship. Still, that didn't mean that he wouldn't humor this cute guy.

 

"Are you sure that it was your cat that broke your glasses? Or did you do that yourself to have an excuse to see me?"

"Wah! O-Of course it's my cat! I admit that I want to see you again but even I wouldn't go that far! I mean, breaking my glasses? Who'd have thought of that? I swear that I didn't think about it, not even once! Really, it didn't even cross my mind! Like, I really mean it!"

 

So you did think about it but wasn't bold enough to do so.

 

Kyuhyun pretended to read the file to hide his smirk. Not bad, he thought to himself, at least Jongwoon was fun to tease.

 

 

Under his indifferent mask, Kyuhyun continued to tease Jongwoon about his 'totally didn't think about breaking his glasses.' as they wait for the new glasses to be done.

 

***************************************

 

"My dear Jongwoon-ah, you have a crush on someone from that glasses shop, right?"

"What!? Heechul hyung how did you know that!?"

"Easy, ever since you came back two weeks ago, you had been staring at your glasses like you wanted to break it but couldn't bring yourself to do so. I even saw you gave your beloved glasses to Heebum like you no longer cared about it. The only sensible thing I could come up with is that you have a crush on someone at that shop and want to find an excuse to go back."

"... That's super scary. Hyung, it's like you can read my mind!"

"Silly dongsaeng, I'm the great Kim Heechul. As your awesome hyung, of course I know you like the back of my hands! So I was right then? Who is it?"

"His name is Cho Kyuhyun and he is the doctor at that shop. Hyung, help me! You're good with these love life stuffs, right!?"

"Indeed I am. Don't worry Jongwoon-ah, I'll definitely help you win this dude's heart! Just gimme a sec..."

"..."

"And... Finish! Here, take this."

"What did you give me hyung?"

"Pick up lines! No one will reject you after they hear those amazing pick up lines, no one!"

"... Will it really work?"

"Of course it will. Just make sure to go through every line in the paper!"

"Thanks! I'll go now then!"

 

***************************************

 

First attempt

 

"Jongwoon? Back here again huh? Did your cat break your glasses again?"

"N-No, not my cat. Actually, something is wrong with my new glasses....."

"Alright, what is it then? Tell me so I can fix it right away."

"W-Well, umm, you see, I don't know why, I mean, my glasses, it doesn't feel right when I wear it..."

"Jongwoon, I need you to be more specific."

"I-I mean, y-you see... M-My glasses... It kinda... It makes me see nothing but pink, especially when I think o-of you."

"..."

"..."

"... Excuse me?"

"N-Nothing! Kyuhyun-ssi please forget that I even said that in the first place! Ah! I just remember having some errands to run so I'll go now! Bye!"

 

Jongwoon tripped on his legs as he ran out of the shop.

 

 

 

Second attempt

 

"Oh, hi, Jongwoon, do you still see everything in pink?"

"...Kyuhyun-ssi, I'm afraid that I don't know what you're talking about."

"Hmm...? Is that so? Alright, what brings you to me today?"

"I-I think something is wrong with m-my eyes."

"Please describe your condition in details as much as possible. This could be a serious matter."

"Y-Yes, you see... Even when I'm in a normal surrounding, my eyes still hurt like I have been staring at bright light... A-And it's getting worse when I'm here t-too."

"Not good, that could mean something is wrong with your eyes. We might have to go to the hospital to have you check up. Do you have any idea what might trigger this?"

"It's you."

"..."

"Y-Your handsome face, it s-sparkles a-and blinds my e-eyes..."

"..."

"..."

"...Say what?"

"........Hahahahahaha! I just remember that I forget to turn off the stove! How stupid of me! I have to go now, bye!"

 

Jongwoon ran into the glass door this time. Luckily, neither his forehead nor the door was damage. He didn't think he could take it if something else apart from his pride was damaged too.

 

 

 

Third attempt

 

"Hi Jongwoon, does my handsome face still blind your eyes?"

"Yes, I mean! No! No It's not!"

"What? I'm not handsome?"

"No! You're very handsome! But I mean... Ah! Stop teasing me please!"

"Alright, alright, so what condition do you have today?"

"... Nothing, Just want to do a quick eyes check-up, i-if that's alright with you, of course!"

"Sure, we're low on customers at this hour anyway."

 

Not long after that...

 

"Alright, Jongwoon, take a look at this chart. I want you to tell me which direction the gap of these rings is facing. Let's start with this."

"Left,"

"Good, how about this?"

"Up,"

"This one?"

"Down,"

"So far so good, how about this one?"

"C-Center,"

"Jongwoon, that's wrong."

"N-No it's not. Because you're the c-center of my world..."

"..."

"..."

"I am your what...?"

"Umm... Bye!"

 

This time, Jongwoon didn't even try to come up with any excuse. He immediately ran out of the shop without tripping or stumbling on anything. You could say that he had already learned from his mistakes.

 

****************************************************

 

"Kyuhyun, look who is here~" Sungmin teased.

"Hey! If it isn't your favorite customer!" Henry followed suit.

"I can't wait to see what pick up line he'll use today." Zhoumi chuckled.

"All of you shut up." Kyuhyun hissed.

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes at his friends. Fortunately, Jongwoon was busy reading a paper in his hand (no doubt that it was today's pick up line) so he didn't hear what they were talking. He didn't want Jongwoon to know that he had already begun to take a liking in him, no, not yet. He still wanted to keep teasing Jongwoon for just a bit longer. It had been almost two months now since this particular customer had been visiting their shop. In the past three weeks, Jongwoon would come here once a week to drop his (cute but cringe) pick up line then ran out of the shop in embarrassment. Although Kyuhyun quite enjoyed all of this, he had never shown it on his face. Even when teasing Jongwoon, he still kept his indifferent mask. Sungmin once told him that his action would discourage Jongwoon but he didn't worry much about it. It wasn't like someone would take Jongwoon away or he would suddenly lose his interest in Jongwoon anyway.

 

"So, what brings you here today?"

"Well... It's almost the final exam period now, and I have been staring at a computer screen for many hours to finish my paper so my eyes kind of hurt. I'd appreciate it if you could give me some eyedrop. And..."

"And?"

"And I'd love to get another kind of liquid from you as well."

 

 

Silence.

Nothing but silence.

 

Sungmin's mouth hung open wide. Henry's eyes almost popped out from his sockets. Zhoumi dropped a glass of water he was about to give to Jongwoon. On the other hand, Jongwoon seemed lost as if he didn't understand the meaning of what he just said. Kyuhyun stared at Jongwoon's naive expression and frowned. Doe-like eyes full of curiosity, pouting pinkish lips that looked like a duckling beak, and cute chubby cheeks waiting to be pinched. Combining with that innuendo words he just said, Jongwoon was literally begging to be teased. Kyuhyun suddenly felt a pang of jealousy when he thought that someone else apart from him might get to see this too. The most infuriating part was that Jongwoon himself didn't even know the hidden meaning of what he said! Not good, he had to make sure that Jongwoon wouldn't say this with other people!

 

"Jongwoon, where did you get all these pick up lines from?"

"I-It's from my hyung, why?"

"Listen to me, do not, never ever, under any circumstances, say that ever again."

"Eh...?"

 

Kyuhyun said in the most serious tone he had ever used in his life, while firmly grabbed Jongwoon's shoulders hoping to get his message through him. However, the result was totally opposite of what he expected. Instead of understanding his intent, Jongwoon was now looking at him with an expression of a deer caught in headlights. This was the first time Kyuhyun saw Jongwoon looking at him with such sadness in his eyes and it pained him greatly.

 

"I-I'm sorry, I-I have to go now..."

"What? Wait, Jongwoon!"

 

Kyuhyun tried to go after Jongwoon but couldn't catch up with the younger man (who was surprisingly fast despite his short legs). He went back to the clinic with a defeated heart. He blamed himself for not asking for Jongwoon's phone number when he still had a chance. Now, even though he wanted to clear their misunderstanding, he had no way to do so except waiting for Jongwoon to come back.

 

 

However, the next week and the week after that had come, but Jongwoon still went missing.

 

***********************************************

 

"Jongwoon-ah... Are you sure that you aren't angry at me...?"

"Sigh... Hyung, I have already told you many times, haven't I? I'm not angry at you. I know that you always have my best interests in your mind after all."

"Really!? Then why don't you go back to that shop again? It's been two weeks since your last visit now, right?"

"I don't think I can face him in my current state."

"Jongwoon..."

"If you don't mind hyung, I have to finish my paper."

 

Heechul sighed but obediently got out of the room to give his little brother times to himself. Although Jongwoon said that he would be alright, as the older brother he knew that it wasn't as easy as that. He had never seen Jongwoon falling so hard for someone like this man before. Ever since their parents passed away, he had sworn in front of their graves that he would always make Jongwoon happy. And Kim Heechul had never gone back on his words.

 

"I promise that I will fix this mess I have caused, Jongwoon-ah."

 

Heechul whispered to himself as he went to proceed with his plan.

 

 

 

"Jeez, why would hyung suddenly crave beers and dried squids in the middle of the day? Is he that old already?"

 

Jongwoon murmured on his way to a convenient store. Although he really didn't want to leave his desk and his paper, he wouldn't turn down his hyung request no matter how absurd it was. Heechul was his one and only hyung after all. He was counting bills and coins in his palm so he didn't know that someone was running into him from behind. It was already too late when he realized it. Jongwoon stumbled forward and fell to the ground, his glasses sliding off and skidding to oblivion. He quickly sat right back up and felt around the ground searching for both his glasses and the money. Jongwoon flinched in frightening when someone suddenly grabbed his hand. Then, a gentle but unfamiliar voice spoke to him.

 

"I'm sorry for running into you! Are you hurt?"

"No, I'm not, most importantly, please help me find my glasses! I can't see a thing without it!"

"That... I'm really sorry... But when your glasses slid off to the ground, someone accidentally stepped on it so..."

 

Great. Just what he wanted to add up to his pile of misfortune. Look at the bright side, at least he got all of his money back. Jongwoon sighed. He was basically blind without his glasses so he had to call his hyung to pick him up. He was about to take his phone out but soon realized that the stranger still held his hand.

 

"Umm... Could you let go of my hand? I need to call my hyung..."

"Please allow me to compensate for your glasses. If I recall correctly, there is a glasses shop nearby, right? Let's go there and buy a new one. Of course, I'll pay for it."

"What? No, you don't have to do that! I can just get it myself with my hyung. Besides, it's an accident so..."

"No, I insist, I'm entirely at fault here after all. Please, just let me buy you a new one, or else my conscience won't leave me at peace."

"Well... If you said so... I'll have to trouble you then, Mister...?"

"Choi Siwon,"

 

********************************************

 

Kyuhyun was in a bad mood.

 

"Sigh, Jongwoonie don't come here today too," said Sungmin.

"Yeah, I really miss the feeling of his chubby cheeks..." Henry sighed.

"If only someone isn't being a stubborn bull."  Even Zhoumi spoke up.

 

Kyuhyun was in a really bad mood.

 

It had been two weeks now since the last time Jongwoon visited this shop. Kyuhyun actually went searching for the younger man around the town in his free time. Sadly, he couldn't find Jongwoon anywhere. He even went as far as visiting the city college hoping to run into Jongwoon but to no avail. Kyuhyun realized just now that he barely knew Jongwoon. It made him felt even worse for not listening to Sungmin's advice. He should have told Jongwoon that he also felt the same way, that he wouldn't mind dating him. Sadly, it was all too late no-

 

 

"Hey, isn't that Jongwoonie?" Sungmin suddenly spoke up.

 

Kyuhyun immediately perked up as he heard that. He couldn't help a smile slowly forming on his face. However, that smile soon faded away when he saw that Jongwoon didn't come here alone. A tall and handsome man was holding Jongwoon's hand as he led the shorter man into their shop. Kyuhyun noticed that Jongwoon didn't wear his glasses. At the same time, he vaguely heard Henry and Sungmin whispering to each other that this man was some sort of famous modeling, while Zhoumi went on about his job as the receptionist.

 

"Hi Jongwoon, it's been a while, isn't it? Are you here with your friend?" Zhoumi greeted the two customers.

"That voice? Zhoumi hyung? So this is..." Jongwoon murmured to himself.

"Oh? You're familiar with this place? What a coincidence! Does it mean that it won't take too long to have your glasses done then?" The stranger man smiled brightly.

"Have your glasses done? Jongwoonie, did you break your glasses again?" Sungmin asked in concern.

"Well..." Jongwoon smiled sheepishly.

 

After that, the stranger man introduced himself as Choi Siwon and told them everything. How he literally ran into Jongwoon and caused his glasses to break. To compensate for the broken glasses, he volunteered to take Jongwoon here to buy a new one. The reason why they were holding hands was Jongwoon had difficulty walking on his own without glasses. Knowing that Kyuhyun was in a bad mood, Sungmin, Henry, and Zhoumi decided to retreat to a safe area and observed them from afar. All the while Jongwoon stood obliviously to everything as he couldn't see clearly, chatting shyly with Siwon.

 

"Would you like to go and have dinner together after this?"

"E-Eh? Dinner...? But why...?"

"Don't you think our weird encounter worth a celebration? I want to get to know you more as well."

"Umm... Well..."

"Stop. You're making Jongwoon uncomfortable."

 

Kyuhyun intercepted their conversation when it was clear that Jongwoon needed his help. He pulled the younger man away from the so-called supermodel. Jongwoon was surprised at first, but he soon understood Kyuhyun good intention and hid behind the older man. Kyuhyun's heart skipped a beat faster when he felt Jongwoon's baby hands holding on his hand. To hell with acting indifferent, if he got to hold Jongwoon's hand like this then he would outright confess his feeling now. But first, he had to get rid of this third party man. Kyuhyun smiled politely at Siwon, but his smile didn't reach his eyes.

 

"Mister good-citizen, thank you for doing your part but you may leave now."

"Who are you to Jongwoon? Why did you have to interfere with us? Are you... His boyfriend?"

"Yes, I'm his one and only boyfriend. So, leave my boyfriend alone."

 

*************************************************

 

"Yes, I'm his one and only boyfriend. So, leave my boyfriend alone."

 

Jongwoon snapped his head to look at Kyuhyun so fast that he almost sprained his neck. A warm bubbling feeling of happiness swelled up inside his chest. However, it popped within the next second when he realized that Kyuhyun only said that to help him turning down Mr. Choi. Despite knowing that, he still wanted to foolishly believe that maybe, just maybe, there might be a chance that Kyuhyun really meant what he said.

 

"Mister Kim, is it true that you are his boyfriend?"

"Y-Yes, I'm sorry, Mister Choi..."

"Don't be, if anything, I should be the one to say that. Sorry for making you feel uncomfortable. Sorry to you too doctor, for flirting with your boyfriend."

"Apology accepted, you may go now, I can take care of my boyfriend just fine."

 

For someone who was basically dumped, Siwon didn't look upset at all. He stared at Jongwoon and Kyuhyun, inclining his head at them before walking out of the shop as if nothing happened. After Jongwoon no longer saw Siwon blurry figure, he reluctantly let go of Kyuhyun's cuff. However, Kyuhyun immediately grabbed his now free hand and intertwined their hands together. Such a simple action was enough to fill Jongwoon up with happiness. He looked up at the man he loved. Despite looking like a blurry blob because he didn't wear glasses, Kyuhyun was still very handsome in Jongwoon's eyes.

 

"You come here at the perfect timing. I have something very important to tell you, Jongwoon."

"Y-Yes?"

"I won't be an ophthalmologist anymore because something is wrong with my eyes."

"What!? Are you sick? Will you be alright?"

"No, this is no doubt a serious illness. My eyes only see you."

"Eh...?"

"Don't you get it? Eyes only see you, as in, only see you."

"...."

"Christ, this is so embarrassing. Come on, Jongwoon, say something."

"W-Wait! Just now, what that... a confession?"

"Yes, I like you Jongwoon. Be my boyfriend."

"Kyuhyun-ssi, you really mean it, right! You can't go back on your words now!"

"I'm a man of my word so you have nothing to worry about. Most importantly, stop calling me with that honorific. We're a lover now!"

"Then... Can I call you Kyu?"

"Yes, you can, Woonie. Do you know how much I miss you? During the past two weeks, I thought that you'd never come here again..."

"That... I'm sorry for making you feel that way... The truth is, I was busy with my final exams so I didn't come here."

"Final exams...?"

"Yes, I did mention that the last time I came here, didn't I?"

"Now that I think about it... But, I did believe that my indifference made you gave up on me..."

"Haha, I'm not someone who gives up that easily, or else I'd have given up ever since our first encounter."

"And I'm glad that you didn't."

 

Kyuhyun smiled softly at his (now) boyfriend, which made Jongwoon's heart beating crazily. The older man then slowly leaned his head down. His eyes solely focused at Jongwoon's pale pink lips. Jongwoon's eyelids fluttering shut as he saw Kyuhyun's face getting closer and closer. There was barely an inch between their lips when a very loud noise echoing over the shop. The couple instantly parted from each other and turned to look at the source of the noise. Sungmin, Henry, and Zhoumi were piling up on the floor in front of the check-up room.

 

"...What the hell are you three doing?" Kyuhyun barely hid a sharp edge in his voice.

"We were trying to make a human tower but failed." Sungmin answered with a straight face.

"Yeah, don't mind us and keep doing whatever you two were doing." Henry waved his hand nonchalantly.

"I'll go get Jongwoon his new glasses." Zhoumi wisely excused himself.

"Damn that traitor! Kyuhyun...? Don't make such a scary face!" Sungmin slowly stepped back.

"Minnie is right, how about we talk first?" Henry gulped nervously.

"Yes, let talk, in hell that is!" Kyuhyun shouted angrily.

 

 

Jongwoon giggled to himself as he watched his boyfriend chasing after his two friends. He was lucky that he didn't wear glasses now, so the slaughter (?) scene didn't scare him that much, which was good considering that he hated violence. Again, he couldn't help but think that having terrible eyesight was actually a blessing. It made him met Kyuhyun and ended up together, after all.

 

"My eyes only see you too, Kyu."

 

Jongwoon quietly said to himself, then blushing crazily when he realized how embarrassing it sounded. Fortunately, his boyfriend was still busy murdering his friends (?) so he didn't hear that, or else Kyuhyun would to death for sure.

 

"Woonie, want to go somewhere else together after I'm done with shutting their mouths?"

"Sure, you can take your time Kyu, I'm not in a hurry."

"What!? How could you say that Jongwoonie!? Aren't I your cupid wh- Arghhhhhh!"

"Minnieeeeeee! Noooooooooo!"

 

 

Jongwoon was really happy that he had terrible eyesight.

 

*************************************************

 

At the parking lot of the mall, Heechul paced around anxiously in front of his car. He stopped and sighed in relief when he saw who he was waiting for.

 

"So? Did it work? How's my baby Jongwoon now?"

"Don't worry hyung, it worked wonderfully. That Doctor Cho almost murdered me when he saw Jongwoon with me."

"Whew, if he had that strong reaction then everything should be alright now. My baby Jongwoon finally ends up with who he loves and loves him! I'm so happy I could cry now!"

"To be honest, it makes me feel a bit sad that Jongwoon didn't remember me, even though I'm your friend."

"Duh, every time I take Jongwoon-ah with me to the agency, he only hides behind me. Naturally, he can't remember you. Whatever, come help me buy the grocery, tonight we'll have a party!"

"Wait, hyung, what's about you and me?"

"What's it about you and me?"

"... Nothing."

 

Siwon sighed. He couldn't help but think that Heechul was actually the one who had a problem with his eyes.