The Forbidden Area

The Death in love

To be the next in line for the Manen Ville’s ownership took a toll on Lee Jaehwan. His father who was planning to retire soon was pushing him to learn everything he had to learn to be a good war leader, a perfect politician and a good Lord of Manen Lee.

The Manen Lee family is a second line of the royal families, rich and power business owners and of course powerful individuals. Jaehwan was blessed with a rainbow hair, a rarity in a world where a hair color indicated a power because it meant that Jaehwan was a power controller. He had the power to control over other people’s power, emotions and mind, which came in handy with his father sometimes. However, a rainbow hair was not something uncommon for the Manen Lee, they had many ancestors with that hair color before, great leaders of course.

That was a reason between many everyone in Manen Ville expected Jaehwan to be the next best leader of the city.

In a side, Jaehwan was happy and excited to fulfill his duties, learn how to do all the things his father does on a daily basis, and even upgrade the city to reach the current developments. However, he knew very well that he was put in the dark when it comes to the shady jobs his father did or still does.

He had a hunch but nothing concrete. “You should stop stressing yourself about this, Jaehwan,” Jaehwan looked back to see his friends Jung Taekwoon, Lee Hong bin, and Han Sanghyuk get in to his small garden outside the house, “I can see the wrinkles in your forehead,” they chuckled at Sanghyuk since Jaehwan had long colorful bangs.

“I can’t believe I will be announced as the Lord of Manen Lee in a month, I am terrified,” Jaehwan admitted, smiling to Taekwoon who silently handed him a mug of coffee, “I don’t feel like I am ready.”

“You are nervous,” Hong bin patted on his back, standing behind him, and massaged his shoulder, “you will be the best Lord the city had known.” It made Jaehwan happy to hear heartfelt compliments but that day didn’t seem to allow him more happiness. He was strolling in the garden with his friends when they remarked the gate to the forbidden area of it open, “Oh, shall we explore it?”

“No, it will get us in trouble,” Taekwoon firmly stopped them and Jaehwan noticed that he had a knowing look on, Taekwoon simply shook his head toward him after a moment and urged them to walk away. As soon as Hong Bin and Sanghyuk left their sides, Jaehwan stopped Taekwoon and faced him with a pissed look, “Being pissed doesn’t suit you, Jaehwannie, don’t try to do that with me.”  

Jaehwan stomped his feet and pouted to his friend, knowing that Taekwoon was weak facing his charming cuteness, even if he kept the strictness on, “but I want to know!”

“There is a reason why it is forbidden, my friend, and I prefer you safe than hurt. So, don’t venture there, promise me,” Taekwoon held Jaehwan’s cheeks and made him look in the eyes, “I don’t want to lose you over your stupid curiosity, please.”

Jaehwan needed no translation. Something dangerous was hidden there. “I promise I will keep myself safe,” he promised and Taekwoon nodded, trusting his friend enough. Yet, it wasn’t what he wished his friend would promise. As soon as his friends left and as he walked back home, he noticed the gate still open and pushed it further to sneak in. He had to use Hong Bin’s power of levitation to lift himself and float soundlessly in the maze like garden. An unsettling sense of dread gained him as soon as he reached a path. He could see a black square, it looked like a house with no roof and Jaehwan settled himself in front of it.

The dread weighted him tons and fear crept in as he noticed the bloody “Keep out” “don’t engage” written in it in bright red. He was shaking as he pushed the door open and stepped in. he expected many things yet not a body sleeping in the ground.

He looked in pure shock as the man sleeping sat up showing his bright white hair.

The color of death.

The man didn’t say a word and Jaehwan was fasting thinking of running away but rooted in place, he awkwardly lifted his hand and waved softly. The man only lied down after that. Jaehwan observed the walls, the roof and soon looked down to the man. “What is this place?”

“My jail,” the voice was unexpectedly deep, rich and warm. Jaehwan blinked as incredulity hit him and he wanted to speak, “you should go, I can hear my guard coming back,” Jaehwan looked back to the open door and noticed Taekwoon with someone. They seemed in a deep discussion, intimate even, and didn’t notice Jaehwan sneak out to hide behind the small cabin.

He could hear them bid each other good bye and the man got in the cabin before closing it. Jaehwan flashed out of the perimeter. As soon as he landed out of the forbidden area, he breathed and allowed everything to sink in: His father locked death in the garden, a beautiful Death with warm voice.

As he joined his family for dinner, his thoughts were swirling and twisting to the point he barely touched his food. His father didn’t notice and he didn’t care if he did. He had questions and he planned to get his answers soon.